Lakers Now An Enticing Destination For KD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Why do people think Minnesota will pass on Okafor?

Apparently Flip Saunders raved about Towns on Cowherd this morning

Link

I listened to the interview. I'm not convinced he'll take Towns over Okafor. Lakers won't lose either way.

Which player do you think is the better Laker fit?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject:

#2 and Randle will have have had 2 years to mature and Clarkson 3 years by the time KD is an FA. They could all be big contributors by then or at least very, very moveable for a big piece.

And we don't know what the WC will look like 2 years from now. Spurs will not be the Spurs we see now.

Clippers? What does CP3 look like 2 years from now? He's starting to get up there.

Rockets? Dwight will be 31 and he's had injury issues for the last 4 seasons now.

Grizz? Mavs? Blazers?

Warriors are the only team I can with any certainty say will still be a 50+ win team for sure.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Now An Enticing Destination For KD.

Lakers2015 wrote:
Randle hasn't had a chance to develop, but what's to stop him from winning ROY next season? Nothing except injury.

The only thing that can stop Randle from winning ROY next season is the NBA. Since he is no longer considered a rookie, he will never be able to win ROY.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
#2 and Randle will have have had 2 years to mature and Clarkson 3 years by the time KD is an FA. They could all be big contributors by then or at least very, very moveable for a big piece.

And we don't know what the WC will look like 2 years from now. Spurs will not be the Spurs we see now.

Clippers? What does CP3 look like 2 years from now? He's starting to get up there.

Rockets? Dwight will be 31 and he's had injury issues for the last 4 seasons now.

Grizz? Mavs? Blazers?

Warriors are the only team I can with any certainty say will still be a 50+ win team for sure.

KD is a FA next year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Now An Enticing Destination For KD.

Big Game James wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
Randle hasn't had a chance to develop, but what's to stop him from winning ROY next season? Nothing except injury.

The only thing that can stop Randle from winning ROY next season is the NBA. Since he is no longer considered a rookie, he will never be able to win ROY.

Or maybe his rookie teammate (likely Oak or DRuss).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Now An Enticing Destination For KD.

Big Game James wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

Blake Griffin was hurt the same way and didn't play a regular season game his first year. He was considered a rookie his second year in the league.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Now An Enticing Destination For KD.

jodeke wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

Blake Griffin was hurt the same way and didn't play a regular season game his first year. He was considered a rookie his second year in the league.

The difference was that Blake Griffin didn't play at all in the 2009/10 season when he got hurt. Since he accrued zero minutes that year, his rookie season didn't happen until 2010/11.

Julius Randle has accrued 14 minutes in the 2014/15 season. That was considered his rookie season. Next season is considered Randle's second / sophmore season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Now An Enticing Destination For KD.

Big Game James wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

He could be considered a rookie, again, it is up to the NBA.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Grizz? Mavs? Blazers?

KD is a FA next year.

Ah, you're right. I confused his and Westbrook's FA years.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Now An Enticing Destination For KD.

Big Game James wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

The difference was that Blake Griffin didn't play at all in the 2009/10 season when he got hurt. Since he accrued zero minutes that year, his rookie season didn't happen until 2010/11.

Julius Randle has accrued 14 minutes in the 2014/15 season. That was considered his rookie season. Next season is considered Randle's second / sophmore season.

Right. As you said it's up to the NBA.

Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Durant wants to win immediately. Who on the roster will be a more impactful player than Westbrook or Ibaka by next summer? That's the magic question for any team trying to steal Durant. You are basically talking about a guy walking away from a top 5 player and another who is what, top 25-30 or so? I'd be shocked to see any rookie reach MVP status by next summer and I don't see anyone available to sign that's better than Westbrook either.

Last edited by Dreamshake on Wed May 20, 2015 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Now An Enticing Destination For KD.

Big Game James wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

The NBA commissioner was asked about this, and he said he would consider giving Randle rookie status next since because he played so few minutes.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Now An Enticing Destination For KD.

activeverb wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

The NBA commissioner was asked about this, and he said he would consider giving Randle rookie status next since because he played so few minutes.

I was unaware. If he can be in the running for ROY, it will be a nice barometer to check his NBA success when compared to his peers.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject:

To me, KD's foot injury is a major major concern.

I don't want to see the Lakers in a Grant Hill situation with max contract out to a guy who is chronically hurt.

I would much rather pry Westbrook loose from them but I think OKC has figured out what I already knew, Westbrook is the Alpha Male and the guy they should keep if it comes down to a choice.
Potato-Mania
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Durant is more Duncan then Lebron. He's not leaving Westbrook and Ibaka. We have Randle, Clarkson, and now our franchise center.

Difference was Duncan had won a championship already prior to being a free agent and even then he nearly went to Orlando.

Maybe my brain is wired differently since we had Kobe and Shaq but I don't see franchise center in Okafor. I see a very good player. Al Jefferson type of player. Without the jumper.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

I don't want to see the Lakers in a Grant Hill situation with max contract out to a guy who is chronically hurt.

I would much rather pry Westbrook loose from them but I think OKC has figured out what I already knew, Westbrook is the Alpha Male and the guy they should keep if it comes down to a choice.

IA about KD.

I hope the Lakers draft wisely, get a quality FA, stay on the youth trip, don't blow the budget on a high price max player.

I look forward to a exciting season. Patience is the watch word.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed May 20, 2015 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Durant wants to win immediately. Who on the roster will be a more impactful player than Westbrook or Ibaka by next summer? That's the magic question for any team trying to steal Durant. You are basically talking about a guy walking away from a top 5 player and another who is what, top 25-30 or so? I'd be shocked to see any rookie reach MVP status by next summer and I don't see anyone available to sign that's better than Westbrook either.

The way I see it for Durant, is that is not the only question to ask. The real question is: "So I'm playing with a top 5 PG and getting nowhere. Why?" A change might be needed to get over that hump. It is entirely possible that Westbrook and Durant just don't work well together, even if they are two of the best players in the league.
Potato-Mania
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Alpha male cause he has the fiery personality, or because he actually can play that role on a team?

I see what KD was doing without Russ, and was living in Oklahoma at that time, people were questioning whether Russ was the right fit for KD's "Robin"? They were plying and winning, all be it with Serge in the lineup. Russ didn't have that.

We go forward to now, and all of a sudden Russ is the man to a lot of people outside of OKC, but not to most of the people in Oklahoma. Russ was exciting to watch and a triple double waiting to happen, but were they winning at the rate they were winning when it was just KD and no Russ?
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

The way I see it for Durant, is that is not the only question to ask. The real question is: "So I'm playing with a top 5 PG and getting nowhere. Why?" A change might be needed to get over that hump. It is entirely possible that Westbrook and Durant just don't work well together, even if they are two of the best players in the league.

But he has been getting somewhere. They went to the Finals in 2012 when everyone was healthy. Westbrook was hurt in 2013. In 2014 Ibaka got hurt but they still went to the WCFs. Durant got hurt this year. They will be a title favorite next year if Durant is healthy and you don't want him if he's not. Unless you expect massive injuries again then he is walking away from a title contending core where every key piece is in their mid 20's, which includes a likely top 5 player. Going to a non title contender is a step back as far as winning is concerned.

The last two healthy playoffs Durant and Westbrook have played together resulted in a Finals and WCFs trip. They work well together if one of them isn't in a cast.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject:

If Kobe has a season like the last two then KD won't consider the Lakers.
Power Gasol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Assuming kobe doesn't retire after this year
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Now An Enticing Destination For KD.

dreegking wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
Obviously from a money stand point the Lakers will be able to offer KD max money, but I didn't feel like from a team stand point we really have were that enticing as least more than his current team the Thunder.

Now I think that's changed.

Think of a lineup with Clarkson, Randle, Towns or Okafor, and Kobe will most definitely play another couple of years if Durant came aboard.

It'll still be his team and he won't have to fight with another alpha male in Westbrook. He'll get to lead a young, but very talented group of guys and play with one of his idols for a year or two.

Durant has never really played with a legit low post big man who can score on the interior and take pressure off him. In L.A. he'd be playing with TWO. Clarkson is nowhere near as good as Westbrook is obviously, but he's definitely a more natural point guard than him and he'll never have to fight Jordan for shots.

The Lakers will definitely be in contention for a playoff spot next year and with Durant they're unquestionably a title contender.

Clarkson
Kobe
Durant
Randle
Okafor or Towns.

Fight with Westbrook. He loves Westbrook. I fully expect he and Westbrook to form a dynamic duo for a long time.

I think Westbrook is leaving and actually wants to come home to L.A.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Why do people think Minnesota will pass on Okafor?

Apparently Flip Saunders raved about Towns on Cowherd this morning

Link

I listened to the interview. I'm not convinced he'll take Towns over Okafor. Lakers won't lose either way.

Which player do you think is the better Laker fit?

Mudiay. I think he's what Harden was in the 2009 draft. Two bigs taken ahead of him, 1 ends up damn good. But neither are the better player.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Your Kobe hate couldn't be more obvious.

The dude still averaged 22, 5, and 5.

Yes he shot poorly, but who wouldn't be in that situation? Playing with the likes of Wesley Johnson, Jeremy Lin, Jordan Hill, and Carlos Boozer. All guys who are backup players at best with no business starting.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:

If the Thunder gets knocked out early yet again, why do you presume KD will want to continue to flounder as part of a core that has had all those years together and has gotten nowhere? You sound like you think OKC has won something and KD would not want to be pried away from that.

The reality is a bit different.

OKC is good enough to scare people, but is fundamentally flawed in its construction, which is why they lose when they face the best teams in a 7 game series (that's when flaws are exposed). On top of that, it has an owner that is too cheap to go into luxury tax territory to even keep its own high end talent. That’s not opinion, it’s simply the truth.

Look, by the time KD hits free agency, he would have completed his 9th year in the league. Believe me, he’s thinking about his prime and how much time he has left to win titles. This is a guy who cares about his own legacy and how he will ultimately be viewed in NBA history. I’m sure he loves those guys on the Thunder, but remaining a perennial “also-ran” is not what this guy is looking to be. He’s given OKC plenty of time to prove they’re as committed to winning as he likely believes he is and all they’ve done is come up short or get in their own way (trading Harden). Thinking that a guy like that is eager to sign away the rest of prime to that scenario and to an owner who would rather trade away high end talent than pay luxury tax, is simply unrealistic in my opinion.

Unless OKC wins the title or KD’s foot is injured worse than any of us knows, he will look around and could easily bolt OKC.

As for the Lakers, people can try to minimize what the team has to offer all they want, but it doesn’t change the fact that the organization can offer:

a. A legitimate young big man;

b. A talented young wing;

c. Two additional max salary players NOT including KD. In fact, if KD is that attached to Westbrook, the Lakers could sign him, as well;

d. Ownership that will not only NOT trade away talent to save a buck, but has proven its willingness to fully bathe in luxury tax if it means a chance to contend and win; and

e. A rabid global fan base that will elevate his star to another level than he can literally achieve on any other team in the association. That matters to how his legacy is regarded. We can try to downplay how that isn’t true anymore given modern media, but how many teams in the association have so many fans in attendance (and even globally) that it’s almost a home game no matter where they play? Say what we will but being a superstar LAKER is very different than being a superstar anywhere else.

The Lakers would have a legitimate shot at KD for basketball and intangibles reasons now and moving forward. Having said that, I’m not sure I want KD given his now recurring foot issues. Scary.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: