One last cheer for Team Tank
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject:

RIP Jeggs. PnP. Tank.

2014-15 season obituary.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject:

Anthony Peeler wrote:
Wouldn't 2016 be a good tank year with Thon Maker and Ben Simmons being eligible?

Minnesota should be better with an improved Wiggins and Rubio + Okafor/Towns, Dieng and Pekovic.

Philly should be marginally better with an improved Noel, a healthy Embiid, + a likely Russell.

The Knicks will still be terrible.

I don't see us being better in 2015-16. A half-injured Kobe will be destabilizing for the team. We'll have two rookies (Randle, essentially a rookie, and Okafor/Towns) and a second-year player (Clarkson), in the starting lineup. Of course, I don't know who we'll sign in free agency. But if next year's pick is Top 3-protected, it seems like the argument for tanking next year is also valid.

Next year, we need to show signs of progress so we can (hopefully) make a splash in the 2016 free agent class. I'm not expecting a playoff berth by any means, but we have enough young talent in place now that being dreadful is no longer ideal, imo. I'd like the young guys to know what it's like to be in competitive games (even if they lose) and not develop a losing team's bad habits. I'm honestly hoping for something like 30 to (very optimistically) 40 wins. That won't get you in the playoffs in the west, but hey, who knows? Maybe we jump into the top 3 again.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject:

Even if we have the worst record, there is no guarantee of a top 3 pick. So while we got damn lucky last night, I'm not wasting another season to pursue more ping pong balls. Time to show improvement to prospective free agents.
bum2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject:

Never again...10 years from now, I want to be making fun of folks for tanking.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject:

Anthony Peeler wrote:
Wouldn't 2016 be a good tank year with Thon Maker and Ben Simmons being eligible?

Minnesota should be better with an improved Wiggins and Rubio + Okafor/Towns, Dieng and Pekovic.

Philly should be marginally better with an improved Noel, a healthy Embiid, + a likely Russell.

I don't see us being better in 2015-16. A half-injured Kobe will be destabilizing for the team. We'll have two rookies (Randle, essentially a rookie, and Okafor/Towns) and a second-year player (Clarkson), in the starting lineup. Of course, I don't know who we'll sign in free agency. But if next year's pick is Top 3-protected, it seems like the argument for tanking next year is also valid.

Yeah when you consider the Knicks couldn't even secure a top 3 pick this year, it's hard to bank on that for next year. I think the Lakers will be in the bottom 5-10 next year since it takes a while for these young teams to grow so they're probably going to be giving up a good pick in next year's draft unless they have great luck in the lottery.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject:

Team Tank won the war!

Can you imagine if we had finished with 6th or 7th worst record instead? Then it would have been a completely wasted season other than Clarkson and Black.

Team Tank were the war experts and did what had to be done in a world in conflict.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject:

It was all well worth it!!!!
Anthony Peeler
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
Anthony Peeler wrote:

Yeah when you consider the Knicks couldn't even secure a top 3 pick this year, it's hard to bank on that for next year. I think the Lakers will be in the bottom 5-10 next year since it takes a while for these young teams to grow so they're probably going to be giving up a good pick in next year's draft unless they have great luck in the lottery.

Yeah, I guess my argument is that, regardless of whether intentional or not, we'll be a bad team unless we sign some good FAs. We lose Hill, Lin, and Boozer so essentially we have a bunch of rookies and scrubs + a gimpy Kobe. I can't think of a worse team, except for the Knicks.
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject:

It was worth it!
diamondcutter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject:

We don't need to tank anymore! The Lakers will improve exponentially next season with our draft picks and our new free agent pick-ups. We will just miss the playoffs and be in the bottom of the lottery in 2016. However, we will win a Top 3 pick because the Lakers are the chosen team and it is our divine right to have the best players. We will be ultra-attractive to a top shelf free agent at that point and after we sign that free agent we will be back in championship contention! It's awesome being a Laker fan!
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject:

Hip Hip Horay!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject:

Alright Team Tank, let's huddle.

We started the season looking for a top 5 pick.

We begged, screamed for the team to start losing.

We got the 2nd pick. Great season guys.

Team Tank is now disbanded. Team Tank on 3...1-2-3.
Potato-Mania
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject:

Wooooo!
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject:

I reserve my right to tank.

As of right now, I am taking my tank and putting it away in the attic. But if I am required to tank-up (shudder), I will. Because I will always root for whatever is best for our team, even if it means I have to endure another year like this year.

What is best for this team for the 2016 season? At this point I wholeheartedly agree that what is best is to win as many games as possible, even if it means not making the playoffs (likely) in order to show the 2016 free agent class that we are on the upswing! The NBA needs to be put on notice that we are storming back!
Anthony Peeler
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject:

It may not even be a question about what is best. The Lakers will play who they have. If it's:

2nd year Jordan Clarkson - PG
Gimpy Kobe - SG
Rookie Julius -PF
Swaggy P - SF
Rookie Okafor - C

Bench: Ryan Kelly + scrubs

...then, we're going to have one of the worst records, whether intentional or not. Other than the Knicks and maybe the Magic, it's hard to think of a worse team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Anthony Peeler wrote:
It may not even be a question about what is best. The Lakers will play who they have. If it's:

Gimpy Kobe - SG
Rookie Julius -PF
Swaggy P - SF
Rookie Okafor - C

...then, we're going to have one of the worst records, whether intentional or not. Other than the Knicks and maybe the Magic, it's hard to think of a worse team.

22m in cap space
3m room exception.

I think you're missing 2-3 key other players.
lakeshowtacular
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject:

It took a Kobe injury, a Randle injury, a ton of minor injuries, and Byron Scott to get us the 4th worst record in the league. With all of the problems we had, I am shocked that there were any teams worse than us. Of course, that's the spoils of being a Laker fan; our worst season historically is considered average for the Wolves, Sixers, Knicks, and Magic.

If we just miss the playoffs next year, but luck into a top 3 pick I will be even more stoked than this fortunate lottery.

However, if anyone is advocating another season of the tank for Maker/Simmons, they should be banned!!!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Anthony Peeler wrote:

Gimpy Kobe - SG
Rookie Julius -PF
Swaggy P - SF
Rookie Okafor - C

Always a debbie downer around....
Lakers have a chance to sign a free agent this offseason...maybe they sign a vet like Dragic or Love? Maybe get a real SF....
They still have money to solidify their bench. Maybe bring back Ed Davis or Tariq Black. Are they going to make the playoffs??? No, most likely not, considering how competitive and deep the western conference is. Either way this team has money to play around with considering how cheap they are paying for their draft picks these past 2 years.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Anthony Peeler wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Anthony Peeler wrote:

Yeah, I guess my argument is that, regardless of whether intentional or not, we'll be a bad team unless we sign some good FAs. We lose Hill, Lin, and Boozer so essentially we have a bunch of rookies and scrubs + a gimpy Kobe. I can't think of a worse team, except for the Knicks.

We do have pretty good financial flexibility at the moment. There is only one big contract - i.e. Kobe's - and well after that it's just Nick Young. The young talent does make LA attractive. We also don't have to pay Jordan Hill 9 mil anymore I am pretty sure it's not going to be a team of rookies + kobe, no matter how bad the front office is. Mitch will wave his magic wand. Also Kobe's big contract comes off the books next year, which means a further opportunity to improve on the FA front. I can't see why anyone can be pessimistic at this stage. Lakers lucked out at the lottery, big time!
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
THE TANK IS DEAD!

.....For some of us, Team Tank was a two year ordeal. I salute those that were down since day 1.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
Anthony Peeler
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Anthony Peeler wrote:

Gimpy Kobe - SG
Rookie Julius -PF
Swaggy P - SF
Rookie Okafor - C

22m in cap space
3m room exception.

I think you're missing 2-3 key other players.

Well, 22m can buy you Hill, Boozer, and Lin!
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Please, no lol.

Boozer at the vet minimum, sure.. if only just to hear HOLDAT lol.
Genaro
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject:

I just wish never have to visit again draftexpress, tankaton, nbadraft and sites like that. I don't expect playoffs next year but if we win 35 games it will be good to show possible 2016 FAs we are back.
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Anthony Peeler wrote:

Fortunatelly, and ideally, there will be a great deal of addition by subtraction as well.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Alright Team Tank, let's huddle.

We started the season looking for a top 5 pick.

We begged, screamed for the team to start losing.

We got the 2nd pick. Great season guys.

Team Tank is now disbanded. Team Tank on 3...1-2-3.

On board since last season.

Last time in our lifetime's fellas.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: