QFTOS Celtics fans on the lottery
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
So are we still light years behind in the re-building process? Let me know when they acquire anyone resembling someone more than a role player.. K thnx bye

I got into several arguments with some poster here on our assets vs Boston's lol. I told them we had the better assets hahah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject:

We can’t have Rondo around young players like that, regardless of how cheap the cost.

In my humble opinion, a big part of a young player’s ability to reach his potential, isn’t just his talent, as there are too many brilliantly gifted players that fell flat. It’s talent predicated on work ethic, intangibles and a belief in the coaching staff… especially for 1st and 2nd year players. Clarkson improved dramatically almost game by game not JUST because of his own want and will to do so, but because he believed in the things the coaching staff was teaching him and worked to apply those lessons in games.

Having a guy like Rondo on the roster who will absolutely curse the coach out, insult lessons he tries to instill at certain points, call him a moron and get into shouting matches with the staff, is going to plant the wrong seeds in our young guys that perhaps the lessons they’re being taught (especially ones they may not like) may be wrong. It can affect the dedication to those lessons that young players must have to max their talents.

Whether or not you’re a Byron Scott fan as a coach or not, there is no doubt that for young players, he’s perfect in the sense that he preaches fundamentals, defense and rebounding. Those are exactly the things young players especially have to learn to value … it’s grunt dirty work that is not as sexy as the offensive end of the court and it’s easy for players to talk themselves out of doing them (think Nick Young).

I don’t want Rondo’s influence near these guys. Even if his negativity were to be immediately silenced (unlikely, given his history), you can’t remove the seed of doubt that his comments can plant. It’s like adding red or black to pure white paint. You can then add a ton more white to the paint, but it will never be as pristine white as it was before you added the color. I don’t want Rondo infecting our team with his bull crap. He can’t defend well anymore, he can’t shoot, he hesitates to drive the lane because he’s afraid of getting fouled because he can’t shoot FTs … he is not worth even the risk of influence over our young and impressionable players regardless of how cheap he comes.

Last edited by LakerJam on Wed May 20, 2015 12:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject:

first of all, i do believe there is some funny business with the draft but i think its funny the celtic fans are calling this #2 pick rigged. Hey, it might be but why rig it for us now? why didn't they rig it for us last year when we got 7 and they got 6?

I've heard arguments its a make up call for the cp3 veto...i think that would make sense if it was given to us last year and not this year. Whatever the reason is, im glad we have the #2 pick, whether it was through some league help or we just got lucky.

If we land Okafor (or Towns) and Randle turns out to be what we all hope he will. What an exciting team to have going forward. That is not to mention Clarkson either (who might be moved but you get the point)

Go Lakers! Lets get the ball rolling again!
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject:

It’s hard to rig a lottery when there are representatives from every lottery team present, along with 14 members of the media AND it’s being recorded.

Fans need to stop with the hole rigging of the lottery nonsense. It’s just another way to whine when things don’t go your team’s way.

There may be shenanigans that go on, but it's too difficult to do that with the draft lottery in this day and age.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Quantity of picks are meaningless, if all it means is a drafting in succession a handful of NBA journeymen year after year.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject:

If they think it's rigged in our favor then what about the Cavs getting all those #1 picks?

I'd like to see a QFTOS from Philly and Knicks fans. They are probably more upset.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
I'd like to see a QFTOS from Philly and Knicks fans. They are probably more upset.

Here is a Knicks lottery thread. When they get the fourth pick, it's F-bomb city.

What was sweet about the Celtics thread was the constant wishing the Lakers would lose their pick, then the realization that by getting the #2 pick that the Lakers had leapfrogged them. It's hard to hate on the Knicks as they have been pathetic for so long.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Well done Dennis!

Celtics fans can eat a ___________ and like it.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
We can’t have Rondo around young players like that, regardless of how cheap the cost.

In my humble opinion, a big part of a young player’s ability to reach his potential, isn’t just his talent, as there are too many brilliantly gifted players that fell flat. It’s talent predicated on work ethic, intangibles and a belief in the coaching staff… especially for 1st and 2nd year players. Clarkson improved dramatically almost game by game not JUST because of his own want and will to do so, but because he believed in the things the coaching staff was teaching him and worked to apply those lessons in games.

Having a guy like Rondo on the roster who will absolutely curse the coach out, insult lessons he tries to instill at certain points, call him a moron and get into shouting matches with the staff, is going to plant the wrong seeds in our young guys that perhaps the lessons they’re being taught (especially ones they may not like) may be wrong. It can affect the dedication to those lessons that young players must have to max their talents.

Whether or not you’re a Byron Scott fan as a coach or not, there is no doubt that for young players, he’s perfect in the sense that he preaches fundamentals, defense and rebounding. Those are exactly the things young players especially have to learn to value … it’s grunt dirty work that is not as sexy as the offensive end of the court and it’s easy for players to talk themselves out of doing them (think Nick Young).

I don’t want Rondo’s influence near these guys. Even if his negativity were to be immediately silenced (unlikely, given his history), you can’t remove the seed of doubt that his comments can plant. It’s like adding red or black to pure white paint. You can then add a ton more white to the paint, but it will never be as pristine white as it was before you added the color. I don’t want Rondo infecting our team with his bull crap. He can’t defend well anymore, he can’t shoot, he hesitates to drive the lane because he’s afraid of getting fouled because he can’t shoot FTs … he is not worth even the risk of influence over our young and impressionable players regardless of how cheap he comes.

I agree and that isn't even considering the fact that Rondo is EXTREMELY overrated as a player, arguably the most overrated player in the NBA.

I would rather have a guy like Patrick Beverly and he is just another guy. When you throw in Rondo's attitude on top of it? I pray we go nowhere near this guy.
Tilted Brim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
They had the opportunity to draft Randle lol. So bitter.

Yeah but Randle didnt want to work out for the celtics lol

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2014/06/julius_randle_skips_potential_celtics_workout_for_gq_visit.html

Kentucky forward Julius Randle opted out of working out for the Celtics for a second time Tuesday to "discuss style" with GQ Magazine. ESPN's Chad Ford revealed that Randle was supposed to work out for the Celtics today after Randle tweeted his location.

-Samuel L. Jackson & Wyclef Jean Duet 2009 ESPY'S
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
It’s hard to rig a lottery when there are representatives from every lottery team present, along with 14 members of the media AND it’s being recorded.

Fans need to stop with the hole rigging of the lottery nonsense. It’s just another way to whine when things don’t go your team’s way.

There may be shenanigans that go on, but it's too difficult to do that with the draft lottery in this day and age.

I agree. Even if the nba were to want a rig the lottery, I find it difficult to believe the auditing firm that supervises the process would want to. Why would a big firm - I got no idea which big accounting firm it is - want to ruin their reputation and risk multi million dollar lawsuits to help a basketball team? It's just not rational behavior. Their interests extend way more than just basketball.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject:

KeepRondo wrote:
Who wrote:
Russell and Melo would be an exciting pair. I'd like to see that happen for New York. Add some free agents who can boost their defense & rebounding and they could be onto something good next season.

It would nice if they jumped over the Nets. Same with the Lakers, Wolves, and Sixers. This draft lottery order could end up being a good thing for the Celts.

A draft lottery you guys weren't even in was a good thing for you? Ok. Makes perfect sense.

Chambers wrote:
JohnBoy65 wrote:
All you pro tankers. The Knicks did a good job of that this year, and they fell BACKWARDS!

So now they can trade their pick to put another star next to melo or choose from Okafur, Russell, mudiay, winslow or Porzingis. How disappointing for them...they would much rather swap situations with us right?

Seems we're not the only ones who can't spell Jahlil's surname. Delusional nobs. When you mix a cocktail of delusion, jealousy, and exasperation you get this genius:

Eddie20 wrote:

It's pretty obvious Clarkson was rewarded for chucking up shots/putting up numbers on an awful team. If Kobe doesn't get injured, Clarkson doesn't sniff 1st or 2nd team. It's not like he's the youngest rookie around either. Bradley is only 2 years older than him.

Did Randle suddenly get better following his broken leg? Did he grow? Since he measured only 6-7 without shoes. Did he improve his perimeter game since that was an issue as well? Are the questions of him finishing inside over length, something he struggled with because his 7-0 wingspan isn't the greatest, suddenly erased?

Once again, you overrate other players for being on opposing teams, but underrate our own guys simply for wearing green. If we had the Lakers entire coaching staff and roster you would say the following:

- Randle and Okafor can't co-exist. Neither plays defense, neither has can stretch the floor offensively, and neither is a good FT shooter. Those [dang] (insert lottery winner here)! Towns is the next (insert exaggerated HOF player reference here) and we're stuck with at best the next Big Al.

- Randle is injury prone!

- Clarkson is overrated. He put stats up because his team was bad. He's old, which hurts his upside and he's a shoot first player. Yeah, Kobe is going to love him.

- Free agents won't sign with us. Nobody wants to play with Kobe and he's clogging up our cap space anyway.

- Scott is the worst coach in the NBA, who's going to want to play for him?

- Our management has been a laughing stock since Dr. Buss died. Players are leaving us for other teams (Gasol and Howard) and we aren't even the best team in our own city. When players talk about playing in LA they no longer talk about playing for us.

- We'll be in the lottery again next year and we'll likely have to give up that pick because of that wonderful Nash trade. Great, just great!

ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Quantity of picks are meaningless, if all it means is a drafting in succession a handful of NBA journeymen year after year.

I'm not impressed with what Boston has amassed if I'm being honest.

Philadelphia? MAYBE.. but I'm not super intrigued with Nerlens Noel. Joel Embiid is a wild card because of the questions about his work ethic. It was a BIG mistake imo for them to trade Michael Carter-Williams for a chance to get the Lakers pick
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Philadelphia? MAYBE.. but I'm not super intrigued with Nerlens Noel. Joel Embiid is a wild card because of the questions about his work ethic. It was a BIG mistake imo for them to trade Michael Carter-Williams for a chance to get the Lakers pick

Makes no difference to them they'll be back in the lottery for that elusive no.1 overall pick.
Potato-Mania
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Why do people talk as if we HAVE to take the most NBA ready player because we have Kobe? I know it seems we are getting Okafor, but even at 1, why would we have to take Okafor? We took Bynum back when Kobe was in his prime.

It seems to me, we take the guy we feel will be the best for us a few years down the road, not just year one.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Makes no difference to them they'll be back in the lottery for that elusive no.1 overall pick.

That's a dangerous game to play lol.
PurpleAndGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject:

What's the name of the Celtics forum that you got these quotes from?
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject:

PurpleAndGOAT wrote:
What's the name of the Celtics forum that you got these quotes from?

celticsblog forum
Das
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject:

this one made my chuckle a little bit from the Knicks board...

Quote:
Only way LA takes a guard is if Phil threatens to take the D away from Jeanie unless she takes a guard.

they really want Okafor/Towns. They're hoping we pick Russell which leaves Philly with Mudiay and Okafor goes 4th.

They're also not too excited about WCS and Winslow (I dont blame them. they still have Melo)
Kobewood
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject:

God is a Lakers fan; even atheists will tell you that.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Tilted Brim wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
They had the opportunity to draft Randle lol. So bitter.

Yeah but Randle didnt want to work out for the celtics lol

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2014/06/julius_randle_skips_potential_celtics_workout_for_gq_visit.html

Kentucky forward Julius Randle opted out of working out for the Celtics for a second time Tuesday to "discuss style" with GQ Magazine. ESPN's Chad Ford revealed that Randle was supposed to work out for the Celtics today after Randle tweeted his location.

This still cracks me up. Randle sticking it to the celtics. He's a true laker already
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Dennis_D wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Here is a Knicks lottery thread. When they get the fourth pick, it's F-bomb city.

What was sweet about the Celtics thread was the constant wishing the Lakers would lose their pick, then the realization that by getting the #2 pick that the Lakers had leapfrogged them. It's hard to hate on the Knicks as they have been pathetic for so long.

That Knicks link was awesome!! Thanks Dennis_D..

One more thing! Buck Foston!
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject:

Those Boston quotes were beautiful.

Can't wait to see their reaction on draft night.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject:

Kobewood wrote:
God is a Lakers fan; even atheists will tell you that.

There is no god. And yes, he's a laker fan.
BirdMagicLegend
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject:

QFTOS - Me

Initially, I was all for tanking but I don't mind the Celtics getting to the playoffs. They were a fun team to watch as I went to several games during the season. No one said the only way to build a team is through the draft. Even some of Golden State's best players were not top 5 draft picks. A good GM will find value and the Celtics have a lot of options to trade or move up in the draft plus we have the Nets picks and they look like they are going to be good or at least decent picks for us.

Lakers fans on LG though this past season I could QFTOS and it would have lasted a couple of hundred pages more than anything on Celticsblog it was pretty bad. Well, at least you got your pick.

I actually like Marcus Smart a lot. In addition to his defense, he showed up in big moments throughout the year and was decent with his 3 point shooting. He showed a lot of potential as expected. As for Randle, yea I wouldn't have minded getting him though I like Smart a lot too. Randle has to show he is not injury prone if I was a Laker fan. That would be the most concerning point for me.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: