Is Randle the better player compared to Towns/Okafor?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Kobe Bryant played all positions in HS.

Position doesn't reflect skill level.

Neither does defensive reaction.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject:

He did but that's just goes to show how skilled and versatile he is as a player. Kobe is arguably the most skilled player ever. Randle is one of the most skilled big men I've seen. Mitch mentioned that he will play some PG and bring the ball up the court. Towns is skilled, but Randle is on another level.

kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
definitely not, Julius Randle is way undersized and showed a limited jumper while struggling to beat his man off the dribble and finish around the rim.

You obviously didn't watch Randle in college.

He's not that undersized in today's game.

Most power forwards are around his size.

One of his biggest strengths is his ability to finish inside and beating his man of the dribble.

His jumper needs some work, but what rookie doesn't need to improve that?

I watched him in college and he is undersized because his jumper is a bit weak, while with the Lakers before he got hurt he was struggling to get by his man and struggled to finish. Time will tell and I hope he is great, but I don't see it.

Mitch saw it, that is why he was downright giddy when he drafted him and why he thinks that Randle will be a star in this league. But I guess some here would say that Mitch is overrating him.

I would say more often then not a gm will defend there pick, unless there is a huge reason not to. I am not saying anybody better was available, I just didn't think he looked good in preseason. Seemed to be unable to get past his man which usually resulted in having to throw up awful looking floaters. Not to mention he seems undersized with short arms, along with a weak jumper. When you have a weak jumper driving becomes difficult especially against taller and longer players.
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
definitely not, Julius Randle is way undersized and showed a limited jumper while struggling to beat his man off the dribble and finish around the rim.

One of his biggest strengths is his ability to finish inside and beating his man of the dribble.

I watched him in college and he is undersized because his jumper is a bit weak, while with the Lakers before he got hurt he was struggling to get by his man and struggled to finish. Time will tell and I hope he is great, but I don't see it.

Mitch saw it, that is why he was downright giddy when he drafted him and why he thinks that Randle will be a star in this league. But I guess some here would say that Mitch is overrating him.

I would say more often then not a gm will defend there pick, unless there is a huge reason not to. I am not saying anybody better was available, I just didn't think he looked good in preseason. Seemed to be unable to get past his man which usually resulted in having to throw up awful looking floaters. Not to mention he seems undersized with short arms, along with a weak jumper. When you have a weak jumper driving becomes difficult especially against taller and longer players.

He looked great, for a rookie, in preseason. He took it to Draymond Green like it was nothing.

He was said to not have a jump shot but by the end of preseason he was routinely knocking down the 15-18 jumper. That was opening up the floor for him. You have to be blind to not see how he was progressing.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject:

This thread is tough.
Randle only played 14 regular season minutes, and he's been injured the last year while Towns and Okafor played.
Randle did look good in Summer League.
But I think Towns and Okafor will too.

Randle has dropped weight, making it even more difficult to gauge. He'll probably be more explosive than he was in the past.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
This thread is tough.
Randle only played 14 regular season minutes, and he's been injured the last year while Towns and Okafor played.
Randle did look good in Summer League.
But I think Towns and Okafor will too.

Randle has dropped weight, making it even more difficult to gauge. He'll probably be more explosive than he was in the past.

Looked better in pre season. Better flashes vs better comp
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:

He looked great, for a rookie, in preseason. He took it to Draymond Green like it was nothing.

He was said to not have a jump shot but by the end of preseason he was routinely knocking down the 15-18 jumper. That was opening up the floor for him. You have to be blind to not see how he was progressing.

He shot 30 something percent from the floor and 40 something percent from the foul line that preseason, he struggled to get past his man and score. Not sure what you remember but he was very unimpressive to me. Those stats to me are terrible and he looked terrible when watching him, now coming off his injury I don't expect much from him. Hopefully I am wrong, but I see his ceiling as a good back up or a mediocre starter.
*___*
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject:

Julius Preseason stats:

19 mins a game

6pts, 4rbs, 1st, 0.5 blks

39% FG

45% FT
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject:

*___* wrote:
Julius Preseason stats:

19 mins a game

39% FG

45% FT

And that's before his injury, I see randle as a poor man's Odom, worse shooter, less length, worse handles.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject:

Randle has better handles than Odom.
Dwarf Nebula
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject:

I watched most of Randle's games at Kentucky and while I thought he was the best player in college that year, he did not appear as good, or as NBA ready as either Townes, Okafor, or Russell. Perhaps he will turn out to be in their class but he didn't floor me the way the other 3 did. So glad to have him AND one of the 3 best this year. So in my mind, the Lakers ended up with 3 of the best players to come out over the past 2 years. Lets not forget that Clarkson was rated amongst the top 5 rookies this year. As I mentioned at the time, the Lakers had quite the offseason last summer. They went into the offseason with the cupboard bare and managed to get the best college player ... managed to bilk Houston by acquiring Lin and a first ... and managed to buy a late 2nd round pick who they parlayed into a top 5 rookie. To me, that was quite the offseason.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dwarf Nebula
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Freakout wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:

He shot 30 something percent from the floor and 40 something percent from the foul line that preseason, he struggled to get past his man and score. Not sure what you remember but he was very unimpressive to me. Those stats to me are terrible and he looked terrible when watching him, now coming off his injury I don't expect much from him. Hopefully I am wrong, but I see his ceiling as a good back up or a mediocre starter.

I'm not sure what you were looking at but during the Summer League the announcers were drooling over his flashes of brilliance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
*___* wrote:
Julius Preseason stats:

19 mins a game

39% FG

45% FT

And that's before his injury, I see randle as a poor man's Odom, worse shooter, less length, worse handles.

Obviously a career is made in the preseaon lol. Look Randle was and still is a rookie for the most part. What you try to gauge in preseason and summer league from a rookie is potential or flashes of brilliance. You don't define a career by a rookie's box score in the preseason. Should we go over the rookie preseason stats of guys like Kobe, Lebron, Durant, Westbrook, D-Rose, etc?

As I said, you should be trying to gauge potential based on actual watching what he does on the floor while the rookie gets acclimated to real game speed.
Das
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:

ahhh no he doesnt. Odom has PG handles even during his HS days.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject:

As prospects, I feel randle goes behind all three due to ok measurements and an inconsistent perimeter shot.
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Dwarf Nebula wrote:
I watched most of Randle's games at Kentucky and while I thought he was the best player in college that year, he did not appear as good, or as NBA ready as either Townes, Okafor, or Russell. Perhaps he will turn out to be in their class but he didn't floor me the way the other 3 did. So glad to have him AND one of the 3 best this year. So in my mind, the Lakers ended up with 3 of the best players to come out over the past 2 years. Lets not forget that Clarkson was rated amongst the top 5 rookies this year. As I mentioned at the time, the Lakers had quite the offseason last summer. They went into the offseason with the cupboard bare and managed to get the best college player ... managed to bilk Houston by acquiring Lin and a first ... and managed to buy a late 2nd round pick who they parlayed into a top 5 rookie. To me, that was quite the offseason.

To me, when its all said and done, I think Jabari Parker will be heralded as the best of the 14 draft, with Julius closely behind him. Not sold on Embiid yet based off of already having back problems and what I saw from Kansas, and just am not really in love with Wiggins game.
scott12199
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Freakout wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:

For you my friend
. Watch his handles and tell me he cant do that against PF, lol.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject:

scott12199 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Freakout wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:

For you my friend
. Watch his handles and tell me he cant do that against PF, lol.

i watched him in preseason and he showed no ability to get by his man at all, i don't need a highlight film because everybody looks good in those. He was unable to get by his man and tossed a lot of ugly, contested floaters because of it. I hope he comes back improved, but considering he is coming off injury it feels unlikely.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Randle's handles aren't at Lamar Odom's level. Lamar Odom played point for the Clippers at one point. Randle will never be given that responsibility. He'll bring it up but he'll never orchestrate.

Mitch doesn't want to play Randle at the 3 but he KNOWS he could put him at the 3 for defensive purposes as Randle has the lateral quickness to keep 3s in front of him. But playing him there off ball to whoever the 4 is would be a major mistake.

Randle looked like a rookie in pre-season that didn't know what he wanted to do precisely yet and was still adjusting to the speed of the game. He showed flashes here and there however and those flashes are what people are excited about. For good reason.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Das wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

ahhh no he doesnt. Odom has PG handles even during his HS days.

Randle has a brain
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
*___* wrote:
Julius Preseason stats:

19 mins a game

39% FG

45% FT

Obviously a career is made in the preseaon lol. Look Randle was and still is a rookie for the most part. What you try to gauge in preseason and summer league from a rookie is potential or flashes of brilliance. You don't define a career by a rookie's box score in the preseason. Should we go over the rookie preseason stats of guys like Kobe, Lebron, Durant, Westbrook, D-Rose, etc?

As I said, you should be trying to gauge potential based on actual watching what he does on the floor while the rookie gets acclimated to real game speed.

I know he was a rookie and basically still is, i am gauging Randle off what i have seen him do against NBA talent, and thus far he has preformed awful and been completely shutdown. Hopefully he will improve but he is coming off an injury so how knows. If you have the preseason stats for those guys rookie years then yes by all means post and compare them.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Plenty of PG handles there. I've watched both. Not much difference in terms of handles.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
*___* wrote:
Julius Preseason stats:

19 mins a game

39% FG

45% FT

I know he was a rookie and basically still is, i am gauging Randle off what i have seen him do against NBA talent, and thus far he has preformed awful and been completely shutdown. Hopefully he will improve but he is coming off an injury so how knows. If you have the preseason stats for those guys rookie years then yes by all means post and compare them.

a rookies first minutes against NBA rotation players in the preseason, isn't about stats. A good indicator is two things - how they improve , and just plain eye test the whole way.
By the end of the preseason Randle had flashes in multiple games of being a go-to scorer. He got acclimated to the NBA game, and by the end of the preseason he had a 7-10Fg 17pt game in 24 minutes vs the Kings. that's being completely shut down. ya.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject:

*___* wrote:
Julius Preseason stats:

19 mins a game

39% FG

45% FT

Those numbers are incorrect.

He averaged 8.8 points, 5.8 rebs and 46% from the field in preseason.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/10/27/7078717/top-10-impact-rookies-who-will-be-the-top-rookies-this-season
exempt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Wow
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: