Andrew Bynum versus 2015 draft 7-Footers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrClutch44
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Andrew Bynum versus 2015 draft 7-Footers

We're all excited about getting the #2 overall pick in 2015 - no doubt about it and hope it will change the fortune of the team....BUT honestly...are Towns or Okafor really franchise changing players?

I don't think any LGer would confuse either of these two with a David Robinson, Hakeem, Duncan, Ewing...or for that matter even Anthony Davis!

I know this might bea taboo comment here with some...but I think these two, especially Okafor, may be no better than Andrew Bynum - and Bynum was a #10 pick (2005)! To be fair to AB, he had a couple of great years when he was healthy and was motivated for a big contract, 18/11 in 2011, BUT even then he was not a player that changed the fortunes of a team alone. He was not a franchise center. And I don't think Towns or Okafor are either -- there is nothing in their game from college which suggests they will be either.

Thus...perhaps we should look a little deeper at our roster, as some here have suggested, and trade our #2 pick (sell high now!) and pick up high quality players who can complement the 2-3 max players we'll signing over the next couple of years. Because quite honestly, I don't think Towns or Okafor are the Lakers answer to a return to the banner days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject:

I'm going to say this with all sincerity. If Andrew Bynum were able to stay healthy and remained on the trajectory that he was on during the championship runs, he'd be hands down the best center in the league today. And it probably wouldn't be close.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Expectations tempered.

Thank you
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Timeout.

So, Bynum at 19 with very limited skills and some athletic abilities (Lakers really transformed him)

vs.

Karl Towns at 19 with proven two-way ability

OR

Okafor at 19 with proven elite post play ability and defensive tools

Not comparable.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Ok I guess? I dunno what to do with this.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Towns or Okafor>Bynum.

Bynum was a one time all star. Okafor or Towns have the potential to be multiple time all star superstars.

Bynum somehow has gotten REALLY overrated here for the past couple days. Seriously.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Towns or Okafor>Bynum.

Bynum was a one time all star. Okafor or Towns have the potential to be multiple time all star superstars.

Bynum somehow has gotten REALLY overrated here for the past couple days. Seriously.

well see but bynum was on his way to multiple all star appearance i mean guy gabbed 30 reb over duncan posted playoff triple double he was special talent
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject:

dmills wrote:
I'm going to say this with all sincerity. If Andrew Bynum were able to stay healthy and remained on the trajectory that he was on during the championship runs, he'd be hands down the best center in the league today. And it probably wouldn't be close.

I agree.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

Brynum was a kid who had knee problems in HS and had medical questions. What's more, people considered him a completely raw player since he didn't start playing bball until later... as I remember it, Jim Buss forced Mitch and PJ's hand to draft Bynum. They wanted someone else.

Towns and Okafor are far far more established than Bynum was.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

Mike@LG wrote:
Timeout.

So, Bynum at 19 with very limited skills and some athletic abilities (Lakers really transformed him)

vs.

Karl Towns at 19 with proven two-way ability

OR

Okafor at 19 with proven elite post play ability and defensive tools

Not comparable.

But they're tall.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Towns or Okafor>Bynum.

well see but bynum was on his way to multiple all star appearance i mean guy gabbed 30 reb over duncan posted playoff triple double he was special talent

Bynum was almost a non factor in the championship runs and he posted fridge all star at best numbers in the regular season on his best years.

He wasn't "special" by any means. He developed good post moves and a solid defender but other than that, nothing that indicates he was a hall of fame big or a star at all. He played well, not great.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Towns or Okafor>Bynum.

You forget how good Drew looked in 07/08 when he finally put his athleticism and post skills together. He was on his way to being an absolute monster on both ends of the court. He was too big to handle on the block with his size, strength and soft touch around the basket. He was a nightmare on the PNR with his ability to finish over the top with lobs. He was an elite rim protector. He was turning into an elite man defender both in the post and on the perimeter (don't forget how well he guarded JO and Bosh that year).

Okafor and Towns might be greater than a post-injury Drew, but neither come close to a pre-injury, circa 2008 Drew who was bigger, stronger, longer and more athletic than either with a very good base of skills to build upon.
E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Andrew Bynum was the reason the Lakers were doing good that 07-08 year(Besides Kobe of course) I think they still make the finals without Pau.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject:

dmills wrote:
Exactly, if Okafor and Towns can come anywhere close to Bynum's peak without the injury and head case, you take that and run.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

Injuries are the only reason I think Towns and Okafor have a higher ceiling that Bynum.

But i wouldn't be surprised if a big later in the draft outperforms Towns or Okafor, especially in the short term (next couple years).

Happened in the 2013 draft when Centers Len and Noel went #5 and #6 while Dieng and Gobert went 21 and 27.

Last edited by kikanga on Thu May 21, 2015 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

E_Wulf420 wrote:
Andrew Bynum was the reason the Lakers were doing good that 07-08 year(Besides Kobe of course) I think they still make the finals without Pau.

...and this is where I kindly walk away.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Towns or Okafor>Bynum.

Bynum was almost a non factor in the championship runs and he posted fridge all star at best numbers in the regular season on his best years.

He wasn't "special" by any means. He developed good post moves and a solid defender but other than that, nothing that indicates he was a hall of fame big or a star at all. He played well, not great.

Again, everything you're referring to with regards to Drew points to his post-injury days. The ceiling for pre-injury Drew was higher than any young big that's currently playing including Cousins and Davis.
Artesties
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
dmills wrote:

I agree.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject:

E_Wulf420 wrote:

Ex-cuse me?!!
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
dmills wrote:

I agree.

Agree as well. Damn those injuries. Although he was a bit of a space cadet/head case, but talent was going to be unbelievable if not for those injuries.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Megaton wrote:
E_Wulf420 wrote:

...and this is where I kindly walk away.

I wouldn't jump to the same conclusion as E-Wulf, but you're forgetting that Drew was just beginning to hit his stride in terms of impacting the game on both ends when he was derailed by the 1st knee injury. He was never the same athletically after that. I don't know if the Lakers make the Finals that year, but I honestly believe that Drew was well on his way to being a greater impact player than Pau. We would've been able to hold on to MGasol and Critt too.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

dmills wrote:

Truth!
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject:

I dont think people realize how special of a player bynum was turning into.. He could absolutely change games and do it both offensively and defensively.. Injuries and then his attitude on top of that killed any chance for a great career though.. He would have been far and away the best center for awhile if not for the injuries.. He was a factor in the championships as well, I dont get people that say the contrary? He allowed pau to not have to guard dwight all game long and worry about getting in foul trouble for one which was HUGE.. He wont be remembered as much since he was always hampered by something but he was an absolute beast when he could be...

I dont see either of these 2 bigs ever having bynums ceiling when he was at his best but I believe both will end up having better overall careers.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Towns or Okafor>Bynum.

IMHO, you are not a very good judge of talent. You are a stat reader who thinks inside the box but can't actually assess talent. This thread is useless because of it.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Towns or Okafor>Bynum.

Bynum wasn't overrated at all. He was on the verge of becoming the best big man in the game. Injuries just took a toll. He could've been one of the best ever.

Bynum was only a one time All Star because of injuries. Had it not been for that he makes at least four or five All Star teams.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: