how to get Nick Young off of this team?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject:

FreakofNature wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:
Trade the 27th pick and Nick Young to the Chicago Bulls for Taj Gibson and the 22nd pick.

The bulls save 3 million in which they can put forth to signing Butler. They need scoring.

Its not sexy, but I'm just answering the question off the top of my head?

It may not be "Hot sexy", but it is rather sexy, and probably the best that can be done.

Taj to back up Randle, and then with the 34th pick we can look to the best point available at that time to back up Clarkson. Instead of a back up for Randle like Christmas or Mickey.

Plus with that 22nd pick we are now in the zone where we can get a guy that drops just a little like Looney/Harrell or Anderson....

I like the move Tony.....

Why would the Bulls do that? I think they may do Young/27 for Gibson, but I don't think they'd throw in the 22

Plus if we got Gibson I think Scott would start him and have Randle back him up, not the other way around
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject:

I think Nick Young will do well next year.
Give him a break. He was injured from the get go, and throughout most of the year.

Also, more importantly, he had to get used to dating someone making more money than him.

I think he'll be back to being 6th man of the year material.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject:

The main reason for hanging on to Nick Young is the worry about Kobe's ability to play a full schedule, even in a possible retirement year. Young can also provide plenty of scoring punch for the 2nd unit.

Young and the 27th ( I would offer the 34th) for Gibson, now that would be intriguing. Getting Gibson though might well mean the end of Kelly and Black as backup PF's for the Lakers. But man, a front line of Okafor(Towns)/Gibson backed up by Davis/Randle that is very solid.

Will be interesting to see how Kupchak views things: Many think we should put a big offer out on a Middleton/Carrol/Green type of SF, that is the conventional wisdom. But what if the Lakers are thinking about putting that money into a PG (God, hope not Rondo), and plan to use Nick Young as the SF?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject:

The question is, how low did Rondo's price drop?
Lets say we dont pick up Hill's option, and we have ~$23 million.
If (big if) Middleton can be had for $13 million and Rondo takes $10 million, we'd be able to do that.

I'm wondering if we hit the cap, does that mean we get to use a higher mid level exemption? Maybe Davis takes the MLE and someone like Wes takes the Bi-annual exemption?

Rondo - Clarkson
Kobe - Young - Brown
Middleton - Johnson (or Casspi)
Davis - Randle - Kelly
Okafor - Black - Sacre

Live w/ the lineup for one more year, until we can sign a max free agent in 2016 when Kobe comes off the books. And sign Kobe to a smaller deal
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject:

That lineup has the worst spacing though

Like historically bad
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject:

Sign a Center.

Move Kobe to the SF spot.

Draft Russell (having Nick Young backup Russell and Clarkson) and trade both latter picks to move up the draft and select a SF (to learn under Kobe).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject:

Why does everyone think Kobe can play SF? He's lost weight to reduce wear and tear and now we want to have him go up against bigger and longer players? He's guarding lebron, Durant, et al?
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Why does everyone think Kobe can play SF? He's lost weight to reduce wear and tear and now we want to have him go up against bigger and longer players? He's guarding lebron, Durant, et al?

Yup, we need to be sure to invest at least a few million in a starting SF this summer, even if it's a stopgap option. There's three tiers the way I see it depending on how the FO chooses to approach the offseason:

15+ million: Middleton, Harris (Butler and Leonard are automatic match candidates)
10ish million: D. Green, Carroll
room MLE-5ish million: Dudley, G. Green, Wright
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject:

Does Dudley have a player option? The irony of him returning to the Clips?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
That lineup has the worst spacing though

Like historically bad

We can switch out Randle with Davis.
And play like the Grizz.
I dont know why I really want Middleton on the team.
Probably because our SFs sucked last year.
All I know is that Im really excited about next year!
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yup, we need to be sure to invest at least a few million in a starting SF this summer, even if it's a stopgap option. There's three tiers the way I see it depending on how the FO chooses to approach the offseason:

15+ million: Middleton, Harris (Butler and Leonard are automatic match candidates)
10ish million: D. Green, Carroll
room MLE-5ish million: Dudley, G. Green, Wright

Agree with both points of view. Would have no issue with the Lakers taking this path for the year.

Kobe is a SG. Hopefully scaling back his mpg this season to 20-25mpg. I think of how the Spurs use Ginobli as a model. Quality mpg over quantity.

Also am a big advocate of SF being the primary target in free agency.

- Spend $12-15M on the the best available starting quality SF under 28 years old. If they can spend less for a quality young SF then even better.

- Am growing to love the Danny Green idea more each day. Spend the rest on him if need be. Xlnt shooter that can play SF and SG mpg.

- Roster will still have some holes and likely be ridiculously young but a nice solid core group to develop.

Last edited by Four Decade Bandwagon on Sat May 23, 2015 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject:

Chronicle, greenfrog and defense nailed it...young doesn't play any D and Scott doesn't like him. Bad combo...unless Nick dedicates himself to the defensive end and improves in the area's Scott wants him to, then there is no use for him. There are teams that need shooters so maybe he can be dealt but not likely...
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Chronicle, greenfrog and defense nailed it...young doesn't play any D and Scott doesn't like him. Bad combo...unless Nick dedicates himself to the defensive end and improves in the area's Scott wants him to, then there is no use for him. There are teams that need shooters so maybe he can be dealt but not likely...

If he isn't a good fit for the team (which is still debatable IMO) then I have no issues with trading him.

But not at the expense of using a late draft pick as some wish to do. Trade Young for a contributing SF or PG on a similar contract? No problem.

Saw someone proposed a Sefalosha for Young trade. Intriguing despite all the legal and injury issues with Thabo. A deal like that is interesting. Certainly a offensive for defensive switch.

But not a salary dump just to get rid of Young. He can contribute and can fill a role.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
King Randle wrote:

If he isn't a good fit for the team (which is still debatable IMO) then I have no issues with trading him.

But not at the expense of using a late draft pick as some wish to do. Trade Young for a contributing SF or PG on a similar contract? No problem.

Saw someone proposed a Sefalosha for Young trade. Intriguing despite all the legal and injury issues with Thabo. A deal like that is interesting. Certainly a offensive for defensive switch.

But not a salary dump just to get rid of Young. He can contribute and can fill a role.

Exactly. Giving up a pick just to trade Young? That's just being overemotional because you don't like the guy. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. Even if he were really damaging the team to the level some think he is, it'd make more sense to just buy him out then give up a pick. I'm not sure I've ever seen Laker fans hate a current Laker as much as this guy. Not even Devean "Gump" George got this much hate and he was an inferior player.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject:

"The sense is that Wayne Ellington will largely favor the Lakers in free agency this year, but he’s mindful that the market is uncertain for both himself and the team, according to Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News (Twitter links), who’s identified mutual interest between the sides. Ellington backed up his end of that, referencing coach Byron Scott and GM Mitch Kupchak during his exit interview with the media Tuesday when he said, “I flat out told coach and Mitch I want to be back,” Medina notes."

Why do you need Young then?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject:

In ur opinion ellington is better than young?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
"The sense is that Wayne Ellington will largely favor the Lakers in free agency this year, but he’s mindful that the market is uncertain for both himself and the team, according to Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News (Twitter links), who’s identified mutual interest between the sides. Ellington backed up his end of that, referencing coach Byron Scott and GM Mitch Kupchak during his exit interview with the media Tuesday when he said, “I flat out told coach and Mitch I want to be back,” Medina notes."

Why not both Young and Ellington?

Kobe should reduce mpg. Maybe will miss multiple games. Shouldn't a decent rotation be in place for that happening?

Kobe, Young, Ellington is a nice SG rotation.

As mentioned before, trading Young should not be the goal. Trading him for value or a better roster fit should be.
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject:

Nick is a good guy. Sure he's flashy and a chucker but he's a team guy and he's our Jamal Crawford. Keep him on the bench as a 6th man / insurance for the 2/3 spot.

We need to be more concerned about getting a better medical staff or all of our young guys will age like Greg Oden.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

Kobe should reduce mpg. Maybe will miss multiple games. Shouldn't a decent rotation be in place for that happening?

As mentioned before, trading Young should not be the goal. Trading him for value or a better roster fit should be.

Such love for ellington.
Am I the only one who thought that he wasnt good?
Id rather give Jabari a shot at the backup SG than Wayne. More upside and cheaper. Plus we had decent results with a Brown as our backup SG in the late 2000s.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:

yes.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

The only reason Young would be ahead of Wayne in that rotation is that he's making more, and frankly I don't think Byron really cares about that. We know his preference.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject:

Bring a live dolphin to all home games.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
epak wrote:

yes.

Cool. Sorry if you mentored it already, but what about Youngs game do you not like, and what about Ellingtons do you like?
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject:

There is no doubt the Lakers have a plan to get rid of young... which would save the Lakers roughly 5-6M and put there cap at 28M this summer. which is a big difference between getting 1 Impact player or 2 Impact players... the Lakers have a great opportunity to build the team this summer with talented players... if they think getting rid of Young helps them get another talented player then they will work very hard to get it done.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
epak wrote:

yes.

Cool. Sorry if you mentored it already, but what about Youngs game do you not like, and what about Ellingtons do you like?

I don't think Ellington is anything special, but he does have the ability to play in a system and off teammates. Young is incapable of doing anything unless he's the focal point, and he's not good enough to be that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: