Mitch Kupchak: Kobe Bryant 'indicated to me that this is it'; Kobe says nothing new here (pg. 5)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
Some national media is spinning it that Kupchak wants Kobe out asap. Guys like Lebatard and Jorge Sedano.

That doesn't even make sense. Kobe has one year left. They have no need to chase him off. They can simply not sign him next summer.

I doubt he'll sign with another team to ring chase either...If the Lakers don't make him an offer or if they lowball him, I think he'll just call it a day and retire. He's been thru enough battles to realize his legacy is secure.
ronnyjeremy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject:

It was time to move on 2 years ago. No need for him to keep killing his body for a pointless season.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject:

I wonder "if" Okafor/Towns show real promise after there first season, and Randle grows into a real deal player like "most" of us hope and think, Clarkson grows up just a little more again, and we have a real chance at bringing in Durant in 16' if Kobe would take a 10 mill deal to give himself a real chance at ring #6. I could not see why not? He has all the money in the World. If his body holds up well enough this season, he plays at least 65+ games in 15/16'...

Or would pride get in the way, and that "alpha dog mentality" to be the main guy stop him from doing so?
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Let's all talk about Kobe's "retirement" next year. I'll believe it when I see it. He could totally change his mind by this time next year.

Agreed, to an extent. I'd guess that it all depends on if he can play at a decent level next year, and if he can play much at all. I'd love to be wrong, but I think Father Time and refusing to take a huge pay cut from his albatrossian contract will pretty much dictate things. If anything, his tweet, however fleeting those 140 characters are, indicate that he's tired of the media meddling in his business. Could of course be wrong. And I highly doubt Kobe just said, "Hey, Mitch, tell everyone that I'm done. I'm too busy watching Dora the Explorer with my daughters to deal with this."

Hector the Pup wrote:
Does anyone really think that if Kobe was truly leaning towards hanging them up after next season it would be announced like this?

Seems to be that if he was serious about this being it, he would handle breaking the news himself. He's not exactly one to let others dictate his messages.

Well said. And agreed, as stated above.

a2j1m wrote:
I can see us letting him go next season but I can also see the Clippers signing him for a last championship run

I really doubt that occurs.

JoJo Dancer wrote:
Some national media is spinning it that Kupchak wants Kobe out asap. Guys like Lebatard and Jorge Sedano.

I don't expect Kobe to play forever, obviously, but I think, and hope that the intent was just to give people the runaround. Mitch isn't stupid, nor is Kobe. At the same time, if he can't play at a high level for the bulk of next season, I could see the next season being the last. Kobe has had a great career, has nothing left to prove, and made a (bleep) ton of money. Nothing wrong with hanging them up after next year.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:22 am    Post subject:

FreakofNature wrote:
I wonder "if" Okafor/Towns show real promise after there first season, and Randle grows into a real deal player like "most" of us hope and think, Clarkson grows up just a little more again, and we have a real chance at bringing in Durant in 16' if Kobe would take a 10 mill deal to give himself a real chance at ring #6. I could not see why not? He has all the money in the World. If his body holds up well enough this season, he plays at least 65+ games in 15/16'...

Or would pride get in the way, and that "alpha dog mentality" to be the main guy stop him from doing so?

Assuming we have everything in place for a serious run at the time, I would rather Mitch use that 10 mil for a role player and offer Kobe to take the min as an ultimatum.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:35 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:

Assuming we have everything in place for a serious run at the time, I would rather Mitch use that 10 mil for a role player and offer Kobe to take the min as an ultimatum.

Kobe will have made over $300 million after next year. That's just salary. Yeah. He's going to take the vet min thereafter? I'm sure he would tremble at an "ultimatum" of the vet min. He makes more a year doing nothing besides sitting in a recliner than the amount of the vet min.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:

Kobe will have made over $300 million after next year. That's just salary. Yeah. He's going to take the vet min thereafter? I'm sure he would tremble at an "ultimatum" of the vet min. He makes more a year doing nothing besides sitting in a recliner than the amount of the vet min.

If Kobe doesn't take it that's fine. He can enjoy sitting in a recliner while the new core gets ready for no 17 without him.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:

What better role player than Kobe Bryant? Kobe can play the Paul Pierce role that he played on the Wizards way better than Paul Pierce can (with way more playmaking and situational defense, not just clutch shooting).
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:

What better role player than Kobe Bryant? Kobe can play the Paul Pierce role that he played on the Wizards way better than Paul Pierce can (with way more playmaking and situational defense, not just clutch shooting).

Someone who will allow the new core to establish continuity by not contemplating retirement or having too much mileage on his legs.

Even Pierce isn't going to make 10 mil a year at this point.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:
I can see us letting him go next season but I can also see the Clippers signing him for a last championship run

>Clippers
>championship

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerVenom24 wrote:
I'm a huge Kobe fan but it's time to move on. At this point of his career he does more harm than good to the team.

That's ridiculous. When Kobe was healthy he clearly showed he was an asset.

Eh, it depends on how you look at it. On this particular team, he was probably an asset from a W-L perspective. He wouldn't be an asset on a decent team, though. His shooting was dreadful, his defense was worse, and he is incapable of scaling back from a playing style in which everything revolves around him. The last part is the biggest problem. We don't need the young guns wasting time learning how to play with Kobe.

I can't blame Kobe for sticking around for the $25M, but this is a sad end to a great career. He'll have a few "Kobe's back!" games, and that will be fun. At some point, something will probably snap and bring it all to an end. Hopefully he'll be able to wear a uniform and not a suit for his last game at Staples next April.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Let's all talk about Kobe's "retirement" next year. I'll believe it when I see it. He could totally change his mind by this time next year.

Agreed, to an extent. I'd guess that it all depends on if he can play at a decent level next year, and if he can play much at all. I'd love to be wrong, but I think Father Time and refusing to take a huge pay cut from his albatrossian contract will pretty much dictate things. If anything, his tweet, however fleeting those 140 characters are, indicate that he's tired of the media meddling in his business. Could of course be wrong. And I highly doubt Kobe just said, "Hey, Mitch, tell everyone that I'm done. I'm too busy watching Dora the Explorer with my daughters to deal with this."

I don't Mitch even remotely meant to imply that was the case.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject:

Quote:
"But if there is a player out there like that, that won't come here for that reason, then we don't want them. Every great player is demanding and focused, and if you don't want to play for a guy like him that's driven to do nothing but win championships and work hard, then you shouldn't be here. You should go someplace else."

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:

I agree. Would love to see Kobe in a role player type role with this young team.

BUT... He has to prove he can accept and flourish that kind of role this season. If not, it's time for us to move on.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Does anyone really think that if Kobe was truly leaning towards hanging them up after next season it would be announced like this?

Seems to be that if he was serious about this being it, he would handle breaking the news himself. He's not exactly one to let others dictate his messages.

Call me crazy, but I think if Kobe does decide to hang it up, he will keep it close to his vest. He doesn't seem like the type of guy to tell everyone about it so he can get a lengthy farewell tour. Probably his uber-competitive side where he doesn't want to show weakness. He might just call it a day after the season and decide he doesn't want to go thru another season of preparation if his body doesn't let him.

Kobe has too much focus on him to do anything quietly. If he keeps it close to his vest, the speculation will continue to snowball.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject:

5 more years!
5 more years!
5 more years!
5 more years!

!...
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
5 more years!
5 more years!
5 more years!
5 more years!

Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Kobe has been the best player of this era, but it's time for both to go their separate ways after this season. This is Okafor/Randle/Clarkson era now.

The only thing it is time for is for the Lakers (including Kobe) to go into this next season fresh and ready to make the most of it and what ever it made lead to. We don't even know what the next era is - or who will or should be a part of it.

The one thing we do know is that now is not a Okafor/Randle/Clarkson era yet. Not even close. Even if on thinks that may one day be a recipe for success (assuming there even IS an Okafor in the mix- which we don't know), its way too early for that trio to be suddenly considered the new era.

The Lakers are still very much in transition, and will be for a couple of more seasons at least. As long as Kobe is healthy and willing, he should be a part of that transition.
Kobe is not efficient anymore, that's why it's time to move on. He will just be taking shots from those 3. The Packers moved on from Farve. Colts with Manning, and it's time to do the same with Kobe.

Kobe is still by far the best player on this team. Not only that he's a veteran and a leader. Look how's he's taken Clarkson under his wing. To just ask the guy to retire when he can still clearly play at a high level would be just stupid. Kobe retiring doesn't make us better. All it does would create another massive hole on this roster.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerVenom24 wrote:
I'm a huge Kobe fan but it's time to move on. At this point of his career he does more harm than good to the team.

That's ridiculous. When Kobe was healthy he clearly showed he was an asset.

Eh, it depends on how you look at it. On this particular team, he was probably an asset from a W-L perspective. He wouldn't be an asset on a decent team, though. His shooting was dreadful, his defense was worse, and he is incapable of scaling back from a playing style in which everything revolves around him. The last part is the biggest problem. We don't need the young guns wasting time learning how to play with Kobe.

I can't blame Kobe for sticking around for the $25M, but this is a sad end to a great career. He'll have a few "Kobe's back!" games, and that will be fun. At some point, something will probably snap and bring it all to an end. Hopefully he'll be able to wear a uniform and not a suit for his last game at Staples next April.

How would Kobe not be an asset on a winning team? That's just a ridiculous statement. The guy is still clearly able to put points on the board. How will that not help young guns like Clarkson, Randle, and Okafor? It'll make the game easier for them so they wouldn't have to create by themselves. Kobe will have the ability to get them all easier looks because he still will demand a lot of attention from the defense. He's still clearly shown he's a capable playmaker. In 2012 he showed a willingness to play off the ball when Nash was here. Unfortunately Nash couldn't stay healthy and Kobe had to play point guard again. Yes we all realize he had the worst shooting season of his career, but look at the team around him. Would any 36 year old guard who's still playing over 30 minutes a game with no talent around him, nobody who can finish inside, nobody who can post up, nobody who can spread the floor have fared any better? No they wouldn't.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Kobe has been the best player of this era, but it's time for both to go their separate ways after this season. This is Okafor/Randle/Clarkson era now.

The only thing it is time for is for the Lakers (including Kobe) to go into this next season fresh and ready to make the most of it and what ever it made lead to. We don't even know what the next era is - or who will or should be a part of it.

The one thing we do know is that now is not a Okafor/Randle/Clarkson era yet. Not even close. Even if on thinks that may one day be a recipe for success (assuming there even IS an Okafor in the mix- which we don't know), its way too early for that trio to be suddenly considered the new era.

The Lakers are still very much in transition, and will be for a couple of more seasons at least. As long as Kobe is healthy and willing, he should be a part of that transition.
Kobe is not efficient anymore, that's why it's time to move on. He will just be taking shots from those 3. The Packers moved on from Farve. Colts with Manning, and it's time to do the same with Kobe.

Kobe is still by far the best player on this team. Not only that he's a veteran and a leader. Look how's he's taken Clarkson under his wing. To just ask the guy to retire when he can still clearly play at a high level would be just stupid. Kobe retiring doesn't make us better. All it does would create another massive hole on this roster.

1. to be the best player on a team, you actually have to be able to play. Kobe played in what? 35 games last season, and 6 the season before that? That's 41 games out of 164 - or less than 25%. Hard to be the best player on a team when you're not actually playing
2. "He can still clearly play at a high level" - you must not have watched much of last season, in the few games he did play. There were 3 out of the first 4 games where he played at a moderately high level - not extremely high, just moderately high. After that, there was a long, long steady decline in his game. Just on shooting % alone, which I tracked in a chart last season, he declined on average about 1/2 % point each week. Yeah, he had a couple of good games here and there - followed by 4-5 bad ones. Some people have been brushing this off with "his shoulder was hurt all season" - but, there was clearly a loss of lift & legs starting after that first week of the regular season to the point where he was barely elevating on his jump shot, couldn't drive by people anymore, and couldn't close out on a shooter on D. He completely lost his legs - and that's not going to be fixed by shoulder surgery.
Not the best player on the team if you can't play...and clearly not a high level player anymore except in very limited circumstances.
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject:

If this Laker team wins say 45-50 games and make it into the playoffs. Okafor, Randle, and Clarkson show amazing promise. The other key cog is a Kevin Love or Demarre Carroll or Danny Green (from FA 2015). Lakers have a shot at Durant or even trading for Westbrook.

Kobe I think comes back for around $5 million or whatever is reasonable within the cap.

I just don't want Kobe becoming Brett Favre.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
lakerglory
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject:

If Kobe really wants to win a chip next year he will have to agree to be traded to a contender. Maybe the Bulls or OKC will offer him a chance to win his sixth title and tie MJ. However, I don't think Kobe will want to play anywhere else other than LA so maybe the Clippers. If Kobe want's to extend his career with the Lakers he's going to have to accept #1 less money and #2 accept a different role on the team. Will he go for that, I doubt it. And that's why Kobe and the Lakers need to part ways one way or another at the end of his contract unless he accepts the fact that he no longer can be the main guy on this team and continue chucking his way into top 2 all time scorers while affecting team chemistry.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject:

Hopefully Kobe not only stays healthy next season but averages something like 20-22 ppg and 6-7 assists (of course we'll need better 3-pt shooters for that to happen) while shooting in the mid 40s. He should play the way he did late in the 12-13 season, where someone else brings it upcourt, then gives it to him in the high post/elbow area to facilitate the set offense.

If he does that and our young guys develop enough to get us into the playoffs, that's the only scenario where Kobe should even consider playing beyond next season. In that case, Kobe can play more minutes and look to take more shots and score more points during the playoffs.

Otherwise he needs to retire. Above anything else Kobe needs to and deserves to retire with dignity.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

How would Kobe not be an asset on a winning team? That's just a ridiculous statement. The guy is still clearly able to put points on the board.

Name a winning team whose primary shooter had a TS% of .477. No winning team would take Kobe, even for free, unless he was willing to become a role player. And he isn't. Kobe is not willing to reduce his role like, say, Ray Nash or Paul Pierce. For better or for worse, that's just not the way he's wired.

Lakers2015 wrote:
How will that not help young guns like Clarkson, Randle, and Okafor? It'll make the game easier for them so they wouldn't have to create by themselves. Kobe will have the ability to get them all easier looks because he still will demand a lot of attention from the defense.

It won't help them because they will spend a year learning how to play with Kobe, instead of learning how to play the game that they will play for the rest of their careers.

Lakers2015 wrote:
He's still clearly shown he's a capable playmaker. In 2012 he showed a willingness to play off the ball when Nash was here. Unfortunately Nash couldn't stay healthy and Kobe had to play point guard again.

Who cares? If we want a point guard, we need to get a point guard. Kobe does not have a passer's mentality and never will. He is the Black Mamba, and he is going to shoot.

Lakers2015 wrote:
Yes we all realize he had the worst shooting season of his career, but look at the team around him. Would any 36 year old guard who's still playing over 30 minutes a game with no talent around him, nobody who can finish inside, nobody who can post up, nobody who can spread the floor have fared any better? No they wouldn't.

This isn't about making excuses for Kobe or about blaming Kobe. It's about the past vs. the future. Kobe is old, and his body has betrayed him. He is not going to bounce back as '06 Kobe or even '12 Kobe. Heck, he might not even be '15 Kobe again. This is not the fault of the roster or the teammates, nor is it the fault of Kobe.

The Kobe who exists right now would not be an asset on a winning team, nor is he a building block for a rebuilding team. I don't blame him for taking the $25M. But if it weren't for the contract, I think he'd already have hung 'em up.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

The Kobe who exists right now would not be an asset on a winning team,

We don't know the Kobe that exists right now. We haven't seen him in any meaningful enough fashion recently enough to make that call. We also don't know what the Kobe of "right now" may adapt to.

He may be done, he may not be. But some people are way too quick to start throwing dirt on the grave in such definitive fashion.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9
Jump to: