Mitch Kupchak: Kobe Bryant 'indicated to me that this is it'; Kobe says nothing new here (pg. 5)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakerglory
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

The Kobe who exists right now would not be an asset on a winning team,

We don't know the Kobe that exists right now. We haven't seen him in any meaningful enough fashion recently enough to make that call. We also don't know what the Kobe of "right now" may adapt to.

He may be done, he may not be. But some people are way too quick to start throwing dirt on the grave in such definitive fashion.

The mileage on his legs and recent history of serious injuries make it very difficult even on the most loyal fans to think he'll be close to the Kobe we all loved to watch.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject:

there's Kobe doing work again. Laker front office desperate needs clear signal from him that next season will be his last. his body clearly can't handle the daily grind as we've seen the past 3 seasons. for those who said Lakers can simply not resign him next summer, no, this is Kobe Bryant we talking about and this is the royal to the fault Laker front office we talking about here, they will definitely keep him on the team if he asked them to. as long as his status with the Lakers isn't clear, it will be hard to plan for future FA signings. because Kobe's personality, he'll be the alpha dog even if he plays 10 min per game, laker front office knows this, free agents league-wide know this.

listen, i have nothing against extending your career, especially someone like kobe's legendary status, but his body is done, and even when relatively health, his game has regressed dramatically from 3 years ago. rather than give the front office a clear signal, Kobe wants to drag this thing out for another year possibly longer.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
there's Kobe doing work again. Laker front office desperate needs clear signal from him that next season will be his last. his body clearly can't handle the daily grind as we've seen the past 3 seasons. for those who said Lakers can simply not resign him next summer, no, this is Kobe Bryant we talking about and this is the royal to the fault Laker front office we talking about here, they will definitely keep him on the team if he asked them to. as long as his status with the Lakers isn't clear, it will be hard to plan for future FA signings. because Kobe's personality, he'll be the alpha dog even if he plays 10 min per game, laker front office knows this, free agents league-wide know this.

listen, i have nothing against extending your career, especially someone like kobe's legendary status, but his body is done, and even when relatively health, his game has regressed dramatically from 3 years ago. rather than give the front office a clear signal, Kobe wants to drag this thing out for another year possibly longer.

Yeah let's blame Kobe here for basically doing nothing. Ridiculous post.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Kobe can do everyone a favor by just kept his mouth shut. but no, he had to go out of his way to post that on Twitter, this is not call doing nothing.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

We don't know the Kobe that exists right now. We haven't seen him in any meaningful enough fashion recently enough to make that call. We also don't know what the Kobe of "right now" may adapt to.

He may be done, he may not be. But some people are way too quick to start throwing dirt on the grave in such definitive fashion.

Fair enough. Make it "The Kobe who played in the '15 season." There is always some possibility that Kobe could bounce back better than last year, or that he could finally decide to adapt. Having said that, I'll believe it when I see it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Fair enough. Make it "The Kobe who played in the '15 season." There is always some possibility that Kobe could bounce back better than last year, or that he could finally decide to adapt. Having said that, I'll believe it when I see it.

I don't disagree there.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Kobe can do everyone a favor by just kept his mouth shut. but no, he had to go out of his way to post that on Twitter, this is not call doing nothing.

He tweeted nothing has changed so yeah it was nothing. He didn't say I'll retire or I'll come back he tweeted nothing has changed. Just stop the madness. Wow this fanbase is sometimes baffling.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

He tweeted nothing has changed so yeah it was nothing. He didn't say I'll retire or I'll come back he tweeted nothing has changed. Just stop the madness. Wow this fanbase is sometimes baffling.

something's not right here. we all know how a poker face Mitch Kupchak is, it's hard to get anything out of his mouth. but the fact he did mentioned this to media led me to believe Kobe did gave him some signal about this being his final year, otherwise Mitch wouldn't talk about this on a radio show. but then Kobe immediately used Twitter to rebuff it just created more unneeded drama in Laker land.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

something's not right here. we all know how a poker face Mitch Kupchak is, it's hard to get anything out of his mouth. but the fact he did mentioned this to media led me to believe Kobe did gave him some signal about this being his final year, otherwise Mitch wouldn't talk about this on a radio show. but then Kobe immediately used Twitter to rebuff it just created more unneeded drama in Laker land.

Wait so now you're assuming things? Mitch even said nothing changed from the last time they talked. Kobe said the same thing. What the hell are you talking about?

You assumed Mitch meant retirement. You assumed Kobe meant coming back. So now you're arguing over assumptions you made when they both said the same thing.
TarLaPaN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I think you're making this a big deal and it really isn't
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerVenom24 wrote:
I'm a huge Kobe fan but it's time to move on. At this point of his career he does more harm than good to the team.

That's ridiculous. When Kobe was healthy he clearly showed he was an asset.

Eh, it depends on how you look at it. On this particular team, he was probably an asset from a W-L perspective. He wouldn't be an asset on a decent team, though. His shooting was dreadful, his defense was worse, and he is incapable of scaling back from a playing style in which everything revolves around him. The last part is the biggest problem. We don't need the young guns wasting time learning how to play with Kobe.

I can't blame Kobe for sticking around for the $25M, but this is a sad end to a great career. He'll have a few "Kobe's back!" games, and that will be fun. At some point, something will probably snap and bring it all to an end. Hopefully he'll be able to wear a uniform and not a suit for his last game at Staples next April.

A separated shoulder will do that to you.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I'm sorry, do you think the tweet came out of nowhere?

If there's no Kupchak comment about Kobe, there's no tweet from Kobe.

"Kobe can just keep his mouth shut" is definitely the most off base and silliest comment in this whole thread.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Honestly, I'd say three straight season ending injuries threw the dirt for him. Saying he'll come back a valuable player is more wishful thinking than anything. Could it happen? Yes, lots of things could happen. Is it likely to happen? There's no evidence available that says it is other than hopes.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Kobe didn't "rebuff" Mitch's comment at all. He simply said nothing has changed from his stance where he said that he hasn't planned anything beyond this contract.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Honestly, I'd say three straight season ending injuries threw the dirt for him. Saying he'll come back a valuable player is more wishful thinking than anything. Could it happen? Yes, lots of things could happen. Is it likely to happen? There's no evidence available that says it is other than hopes.

You are exaggerating the reality of events. Timing and situation played a huge role in the decisions of whether to play or not. Hell his first big injury came literally at the eclipse of the Lakers season, the "season ending" description is disingenuous at best.

Look, unlike some of you, I don't claim to know what Kobe has to offer coming forward. I don't know him, nor am I his physician or psychologist. And I am assuming the same applies to everyone else here.

But I am old enough to have watched Kobe evolve over the almost 20 years he has been a Laker - and despite some people's opinion, he HAS evolved and found ways to adapt.

So, until he proves otherwise, I'm not going to be as quick to simply equate a period of injury as signal of his demise.

I also find this notion that if Kobe can't be Kobe of the first 17 years of his career, he can't be an asset to be ridiculous. Anytime you have a player of such incredible talent, intelligence and determination, he can always be an asset if the right role is found. I'm not going to make any assumptions about his ability to be that kind of role player until he actually PROVES he can't. It amazes me that some people would so quickly kick such a player to the curb.
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject:

If I'm kobe this is what I'm thinking...

If somehow my body turns around and let's me play a full season next year, and I'm still good enough to play at an all-star level, I'll decide at the end of the season if I'll play for another year.

Or...

If next year is the same as the last 2 years and my body gives up on me again, I'm hanging them up.

Makes sense for him to see what happens.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
la4win wrote:
It looks to me the fo want him to retire.

Why would it matter to them if he did or not? They aren't financially obligated to him after next season anyway. If they don't want him around they can simply not offer him a contract.

Yeah, that will really be easy. I'm sure they didn't feel any pressure signing him to that $48 mill deal too.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I posted it earlier in the thread. Kobe himself stated “As I sit here right now, do I want to play beyond next year? No, but that could change.”

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bryant-653768-season-one.html

That's most likely what both Mitch and Kobe are referring to.
JayLida
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Kobe has been the best player of this era, but it's time for both to go their separate ways after this season. This is Okafor/Randle/Clarkson era now.

The only thing it is time for is for the Lakers (including Kobe) to go into this next season fresh and ready to make the most of it and what ever it made lead to. We don't even know what the next era is - or who will or should be a part of it.

The one thing we do know is that now is not a Okafor/Randle/Clarkson era yet. Not even close. Even if on thinks that may one day be a recipe for success (assuming there even IS an Okafor in the mix- which we don't know), its way too early for that trio to be suddenly considered the new era.

The Lakers are still very much in transition, and will be for a couple of more seasons at least. As long as Kobe is healthy and willing, he should be a part of that transition.

Could not agree more. If the transition includes Kobe and the roster has a chance to win championships then I'm happy with Kobe leading young talent to the promise land.
JayLida
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
KBH wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

You are exaggerating the reality of events. Timing and situation played a huge role in the decisions of whether to play or not. Hell his first big injury came literally at the eclipse of the Lakers season, the "season ending" description is disingenuous at best.

Look, unlike some of you, I don't claim to know what Kobe has to offer coming forward. I don't know him, nor am I his physician or psychologist. And I am assuming the same applies to everyone else here.

But I am old enough to have watched Kobe evolve over the almost 20 years he has been a Laker - and despite some people's opinion, he HAS evolved and found ways to adapt.

So, until he proves otherwise, I'm not going to be as quick to simply equate a period of injury as signal of his demise.

I also find this notion that if Kobe can't be Kobe of the first 17 years of his career, he can't be an asset to be ridiculous. Anytime you have a player of such incredible talent, intelligence and determination, he can always be an asset if the right role is found. I'm not going to make any assumptions about his ability to be that kind of role player until he actually PROVES he can't. It amazes me that some people would so quickly kick such a player to the curb.

Preach
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

90% of some people's posts are meant to diminish Kobe.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject:

golaker wrote:
If I'm kobe this is what I'm thinking...

If somehow my body turns around and let's me play a full season next year, and I'm still good enough to play at an all-star level, I'll decide at the end of the season if I'll play for another year.

Or...

If next year is the same as the last 2 years and my body gives up on me again, I'm hanging them up.

Makes sense for him to see what happens.

KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerVenom24 wrote:
I'm a huge Kobe fan but it's time to move on. At this point of his career he does more harm than good to the team.

That's ridiculous. When Kobe was healthy he clearly showed he was an asset.

Eh, it depends on how you look at it. On this particular team, he was probably an asset from a W-L perspective. He wouldn't be an asset on a decent team, though. His shooting was dreadful, his defense was worse, and he is incapable of scaling back from a playing style in which everything revolves around him. The last part is the biggest problem. We don't need the young guns wasting time learning how to play with Kobe.

I can't blame Kobe for sticking around for the $25M, but this is a sad end to a great career. He'll have a few "Kobe's back!" games, and that will be fun. At some point, something will probably snap and bring it all to an end. Hopefully he'll be able to wear a uniform and not a suit for his last game at Staples next April.

A separated shoulder will do that to you.

A rotator cuff tear severe enough to require surgery is no joke. Shooting with that thing must have been a bear and it's not even possible that he was able to get in the reps to get his touch. He's had surgery on his achilles AND his shoulder. He may be done, but for all we know, he's now feeling better than he has in years.
billyhorno
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject:

I'd be surprised if he didn't play 2 more seasons at the very least
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Sigh. Let's just enjoy whatever he can give us next season. I don't expect a championship squad but it's sobering to realize the end of kobe's great career is close.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9
Jump to: