Disgraced NBA referee Tim Donaghy to appear in CNBC documentary
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Disgraced NBA referee Tim Donaghy to appear in CNBC documentary

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/21/disgraced-nba-referee-tim-donaghy-to-appear-in-cnbc-documentary/

Quote:
Disgraced NBA referee Tim Donaghy to appear in CNBC documentary

Tim Donaghy was an NBA referee who used inside information to bet on games.

That was the innocent explanation; the more damning one involved him making disingenuous calls that would influence games so that the bets he made would end up with favorable results.

Donaghy eventually served time in prison for his actions, but has remained in the gambling underworld ever since. He picks games professionally, and has attempted to remain in the spotlight to make a living off of his NBA excommunication.

This latest documentary from CNBC doesn’t appear to be any different. While we’ll have to wait until the entire thing debuts Thursday, May 28 at 10p ET/PT to see for sure, this teaser clip sure appears as though he’s simply giving us more of the same.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject:

The Donaghy flare ups are becoming increasingly infrequent. His contribution to the discussion was that the tendencies of particular NBA referees could be sufficiently different to affect the betting line on games. Beyond that, he didn't bring much to the table.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The Donaghy flare ups are becoming increasingly infrequent. His contribution to the discussion was that the tendencies of particular NBA referees could be sufficiently different to affect the betting line on games. Beyond that, he didn't bring much to the table.

call it what you what want but his picks have been 100% since he started his gambling business
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject:

On April 22, 2014, Donaghy claimed that the league office was going to push referees to fix playoffs games to have Brooklyn Nets beat the Toronto Raptors, so they could advance to the second round and face the Miami Heat because it would be good for ratings,[51] which it was.[52] On May 4, 2014, the Nets eliminated the Raptors after winning game seven of the series by a point.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject:

The refs can't fix the results - they have no control over a guy getting hot or making a bad pass. But they can certainly call things that slant towards a certain result.
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject:

is there a place he posts his prediction each game??

I would like to use those make some good money if he is that accurate. lol
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
The refs can't fix the results - they have no control over a guy getting hot or making a bad pass. But they can certainly call things that slant towards a certain result.

Indeed, I think it's more about bias than game fixing. I think they make an extra effort to make sure they aren't making bad calls that will lead to the elimination of one of the favorites and that can cause them to call things kind of one sided. If one team is getting the better end of all of the 50-50 calls, that really adds up over the course of a game.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
call it what you what want but his picks have been 100% since he started his gambling business

What? I just pulled up his website, and his record is 197-166 for the year. Occasionally, he stirs up some publicity by declaring that some series is being fixed by the league. I remember him declaring that the Cavs were guaranteed to go to the Finals a few years back. Oops.

It has been a few years now, but when some of his data came out, it became apparent that the secret to his success was most likely him shaving points, not any brilliant insight that he had into the patterns of officials. That is not to say that the number crunchers in Vegas couldn't find a pattern.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject:

Why didn't the league have media darlings Clippers advance to the WCF

I find some of this stuff far out there coming from him. Though I will say this the league may not try to influence the outcomes in-game they sure as hell do it before the seasons start, CBAs( that favor teams like the warriors etc.., vetoing trades blacklisting teams via the media from signing top talent, rigging the lottery.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Hunter is just salty because he was a true believer in the purity of nba officiating despite all evidence to the contrary.

The Donaghy scandal basically invalidated the vast number of his off base posts on the topic as it proved that a referee had been corrupted which chafes hunter's hide.

Why Donaghy's best buddy and 30 texts a day friend Scott Foster is still allowed to fix errrrr officiate nba games proves the whole thing is a corrupt debacle.

hunter is the wrong guy to discuss this topic with as he has been proven to be 100% wrong and is now trying to backtrack faster than Jeb Bush.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Hunter is just salty because he was a true believer in the purity of nba officiating despite all evidence to the contrary.

The Donaghy scandal basically invalidated the vast number of his off base posts on the topic as it proved that a referee had been corrupted which chafes hunter's hide.

Why Donaghy's best buddy and 30 texts a day friend Scott Foster is still allowed to fix errrrr officiate nba games proves the whole thing is a corrupt debacle.

hunter is the wrong guy to discuss this topic with as he has been proven to be 100% wrong and is now trying to backtrack faster than Jeb Bush.

We've been through this before. I called you a liar and challenged you to link some of the posts where I said this stuff. You went silent. It was a good decision at the time, and you should have stuck with it.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

We've been through this before. I called you a liar and challenged you to link some of the posts where I said this stuff. You went silent. It was a good decision at the time, and you should have stuck with it.

The reason I didn't respond previously is you are being intellectually dishonest. Your whole thing for literally YEARS here was that the nba refs could not be corrupt, that it was impossible, that there were too many safeguards in place, etc. the tax evasion scandal failed to convince you and then the donaghy proof came out and your entire argument was sunk.

Do you really need me to go back through the threads where you and I debated this topic? For you to try and spin it otherwise now is weak, you are smarter than that. I just don't have time to be bothered with your nonsense, your arguments are circular and intellectually dishonest.

Your in the legal profession right? Perhaps that explains why you refuse to abandon the ship when it has already sunk. Face it, me and others called it before the proof came out while you were denying it. You are like the Japanese soldier found 20 years after wwii on a deserted island thinking the war was still going on.

Face it, the war is over...we wom, you lost. Deal with it but at least admit your prior position on this and own it for crissakes,
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
Why didn't the league have media darlings Clippers advance to the WCF

I find some of this stuff far out there coming from him. Though I will say this the league may not try to influence the outcomes in-game they sure as hell do it before the seasons start, CBAs( that favor teams like the warriors etc.., vetoing trades blacklisting teams via the media from signing top talent, rigging the lottery.

There were 4 refs considered to act in such a way to favor one team in that game 7, Ken Mauer (let's Harden get mugged and gives Dwight imaginary T's and flagrants), Tony Brothers for the Clippers, Joey Crawford (I can't even remember the last time Houston lost a game reffed by Joey - here's a stat for you, in 3 playoff games reffed by Joey, Houston has shot 150 free throws and Harden has shot 45) and Bill Kennedy for the Rockets (hates Doc), and they gave Mauer (who had done a game just 2 before in that series, which is odd in itself) and Brothers the game, the wild card for that game was the 3rd ref, Mike Callahan, who called a lot of fouls committed by the Clippers from the far side, the ref announcement shifted the vegas line towards the clippers so it's not exactly a closely guarded secret.

The league itself has no real control over the cba though, that's more a byproduct of the position of the owners. It's the same reason they can't get a majority to fix the draft or get rid of hacka, because more of them benefit than are harmed by it.

Honestly ref tendencies aren't that complex, some tend to have high charge vs block rates (Foster comes to mind), some refs to tend to swallow their whistles after a high foul rate (Brothers), some will just keep calling everything (Joey), some call arm fouls, others are body calls etc etc.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
The reason I didn't respond previously is you are being intellectually dishonest. Your whole thing for literally YEARS here was that the nba refs could not be corrupt, that it was impossible, that there were too many safeguards in place, etc. the tax evasion scandal failed to convince you and then the donaghy proof came out and your entire argument was sunk.

I never said any such thing. You are a liar. I have called you on this before, and you were wise enough to go silent and scurry away. You should have stuck with that response.

LakerLanny wrote:
Do you really need me to go back through the threads where you and I debated this topic? For you to try and spin it otherwise now is weak, you are smarter than that. I just don't have time to be bothered with your nonsense, your arguments are circular and intellectually dishonest.

Again, you are a liar. Put up or shut up.

LakerLanny wrote:
Your in the legal profession right? Perhaps that explains why you refuse to abandon the ship when it has already sunk. Face it, me and others called it before the proof came out while you were denying it. You are like the Japanese soldier found 20 years after wwii on a deserted island thinking the war was still going on.

Despite your efforts at deflection, you are still a liar. Attacking my profession or comparing me to a Japanese soldier changes nothing. Put up or shut up.

LakerLanny wrote:
Face it, the war is over...we wom, you lost. Deal with it but at least admit your prior position on this and own it for crissakes,

You are a liar. Declaring victory changes nothing.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject:

I didn't even know Tim Doughty was still around. Before this thread, I don't remember anyone mentioning his name for years and years.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

Donaghy's web site, refpicks, says he was only 55% accurate on his NBA picks this year. You can see that right here.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject:

Donaghy's book is awesome, highly recommended. Even if you don't like that sort of thing, it's got hilarious NBA stories in there. LOL! He kind of writes like a doofus, though. Still, very enjoyable.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

Donaghy's web site, refpicks, says he was only 55% accurate on his NBA picks this year. You can see that right here.

No to mention no one is ever 100% in gambling, and if Donaghy were, he'd be camped out in a sport's book becoming disgustingly wealthy, not running a gambling site trying to fleece people.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

No to mention no one is ever 100% in gambling, and if Donaghy were, he'd be camped out in a sport's book becoming disgustingly wealthy, not running a gambling site trying to fleece people.

lol at whoever is saying "only" 55%. If that's actually true, that is really not bad at all. Give me 55% any day of the week.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

lol at whoever is saying "only" 55%. If that's actually true, that is really not bad at all. Give me 55% any day of the week.

I dunno why I put 100% prolly wasn't paying attention... regardless 55% is really high
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject:

I caught this on CNBC. Marcus from The Profit helped Donaghy turn around his cupcake shop with some investment money and, more importantly, tough love.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

I dunno why I put 100% prolly wasn't paying attention... regardless 55% is really high

55% is solid for a professional handicapper, but not amazing. I think of all the NBA handicappers on his own site he actually has the lowest accuracy, or close to it.

So I think we all agree -- he's not a bad handicapper, but he's not so good that anyone is curious how he does it or thinks he has some amazing system.

But the bottom line is this thread shows how irrelevant Donagty is. He said everything he had to say 5 years ago, so the people who took part in this thread did little more than dismiss him, troll other posters, or cut and paste old tidbits off wikipedia that people stopped talking about a year or more ago.

You can't have a genuine discussion about Donagty's comments, because he never says anything.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I never said any such thing. You are a liar. I have called you on this before, and you were wise enough to go silent and scurry away. You should have stuck with that response.

LakerLanny wrote:

LakerLanny wrote:

Despite your efforts at deflection, you are still a liar. Attacking my profession or comparing me to a Japanese soldier changes nothing. Put up or shut up.

LakerLanny wrote:

The reason you are so sensitive and butt hurt is because we both know I am right. I don't mean to humiliate you but the facts are the facts...you were very aggressive with an argument that turned out to be completely sunk with the donaghy scandal.

Spare me the Internet tough guy routine also, we both know what would happen if you ran your mouth like that to me n person.

You are a clown and a loser, I win you lose. Or perhaps you would like to debate this in person. Run away now little boy, I am done calling out your ridiculous failed argument.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

LakerLanny wrote:

LakerLanny wrote:

LakerLanny wrote:

The reason you are so sensitive and butt hurt is because we both know I am right. I don't mean to humiliate you but the facts are the facts...you were very aggressive with an argument that turned out to be completely sunk with the donaghy scandal.

Spare me the Internet tough guy routine also, we both know what would happen if you ran your mouth like that to me n person.

You are a clown and a loser, I win you lose. Or perhaps you would like to debate this in person. Run away now little boy, I am done calling out your ridiculous failed argument.

Gee, no irony there.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

What? I just pulled up his website, and his record is 197-166 for the year.

Are you implying that's not 100%?

Last edited by Reflexx on Sat May 30, 2015 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: