Kobe Volt: Curry made the MVP runner-up look bad, but Kobe...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Kobe Volt: Curry made the MVP runner-up look bad, but Kobe...

It was great to see the MVP and MVP runner-up involved in a last second tussle during a competitive playoff game. And it was fascinating to see the MVP get the better of the runner up, when Curry and Thompson stole the ball from Harden. It was very poetic and all that, and fitting. I'm much more of a Curry fan than Harden, because he relies more on skill than gimmicks such as flopping and creating contact.

But, it also reminded me of sort of the opposite situation a few years ago. When Kobe was having his great 35 ppg scoring year, he lost the controversial MVP to the winner Steve Nash. And a few days after the MVP was revealed (the day after, i think), Kobe dunked (lipton tea-B style) on Nash. And it was remarkable and freaking awesome, a signature moment. There was the MVP getting dunked ON by the runner up. I remember at the time thinking that I can't remember such a dramatic moment like that between the top two MVP candidates.

And it just goes to show again....Kobe is the best I've ever seen. No matter what the stats say, or the awards, he will make that statement on the court. And that's pure skill and tenacity. No gimmicks, no shortcuts.

So just reminiscing. it was a great moment yesterday, and it reminded me of one of the most unique moments I've ever seen in the Kobe/Nash play.

Here's Harden showing why he's the runner up:

Here's Harden getting mad about it. he knows that was a special moment:

And here's Kobe doing what Harden wished he did:

I hope GS makes it to the Finals, and I hope Curry does the same to Lebron if he's there. Bam!
bryants2hot2handle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Can't believe that was in 2006....9 years ago! Where has the time gone
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Yea, Harden failed. I was laughing when he lost the ball after a boneheaded move.

Last edited by xxsicrokerxx on Fri May 22, 2015 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject:

KO-BE!

Legend

GOAT!
thuringer
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Lakers lost that series. I understand you're angry about Harden succeeding, but he's only been to the line 16 times in 2 games this series, and has put up two absolutely monstrous games. Pretty much everything about the original post is wrong.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately this thread will not end well. The same 4-5 posters will come in here spewing their anti-Kobe rhetoric leading to multple pages of arguing eventually leading to a locked thread.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject:

I loved that dunk. That brought back memories. The dunk he had in Game 5 of that series was just as good. Thanks for posting.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject:

You can't win the MVP unless your team has either the best or second best record in conference.... it's always been like this or else MJ would have won tons of MVPs in the late 80s when he was scoring 30+ every season on 50%+ shooting every season. Heck, his best statistical season was 1986-1987 when he averaged 37,1 points per game. But the Bulls were just an average playoff team back then and not true contenders...

So Kobe not winning it in the years the Lakers were mediocre is absolutely understandable. He shouldn't have. He was the best individual player in the game without a doubt. But the MVP is as much about team achievement as it is individual achievement.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the clips. Shows Curry's a better decision maker than Harden as well.

Harden thought he could split that double team by Curry and Thompson - bad move. I wonder what Kobe in his heyday would do in Harden's place.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject:

LOL at that comment on Kobe's vid from 7 years ago:
kobe without shaq = 0 championships
thuringer
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Thanks for the clips. Shows Curry's a better decision maker than Harden as well.

Harden thought he could split that double team by Curry and Thompson - bad move. I wonder what Kobe in his heyday would do in Harden's place.

You're deciding who is the better decision maker by a single play? That's pretty wishful thinking
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject:

I remember when they made Nash watch that on a TWC interview
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
You can't win the MVP unless your team has either the best or second best record in conference.... it's always been like this or else MJ would have won tons of MVPs in the late 80s when he was scoring 30+ every season on 50%+ shooting every season. Heck, his best statistical season was 1986-1987 when he averaged 37,1 points per game. But the Bulls were just an average playoff team back then and not true contenders...

So Kobe not winning it in the years the Lakers were mediocre is absolutely understandable. He shouldn't have. He was the best individual player in the game without a doubt. But the MVP is as much about team achievement as it is individual achievement.

I always thought it was about what player was of the most value to there team. I feel Kobe had a far worse cast as compared to Nash, and that the Lakers had to depend on kobe more then the suns on Nash, but to each there own.
thuringer
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

I always thought it was about what player was of the most value to there team. I feel Kobe had a far worse cast as compared to Nash, and that the Lakers had to depend on kobe more then the suns on Nash, but to each there own.

sounds similar to harden/curry. warriors are loaded
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject:

thuringer wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

You're deciding who is the better decision maker by a single play? That's pretty wishful thinking

There's no wishful thinking about it. Down the stretch in that game he was.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject:

thuringer wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

There's no comparison. Kobe had guys playing alongside him in the starting lineup that didn't even belong in the league like Parker, Brown, and Mihm. Harden at least has NBA caliber players around him just not as good as Golden State.
thuringer
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
thuringer wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

There's no comparison. Kobe had guys playing alongside him in the starting lineup that didn't even belong in the league like Parker, Brown, and Mihm. Harden at least has NBA caliber players around him just not as good as Golden State.

well that explains the Lakers getting bounced in the first round

and you're right, Clint Capella, ancient Jason Terry, and ancient (not that it matters his age, it's Pablo Prigioni lmao) Prigioni are so much better man

Last edited by thuringer on Fri May 22, 2015 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject:

PhoenixForce wrote:
Unfortunately this thread will not end well. The same 4-5 posters will come in here spewing their anti-Kobe rhetoric leading to multple pages of arguing eventually leading to a locked thread.

Kirby Brian
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Why was Luke Walton in the game during the playoffs???
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject:

one of the best dunks ever... hope we won that series... we were 1 rebound away. sigh.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
irielight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:23 am    Post subject:

The weird thing about this thread is that it seems to imply that Harden didn't play well. On the contrary, he had a great game. If it wasn't for his excellence, the Rockets aren't even in the game. That last play ended badly for them, but I blame McHale as much as anyone - should've called a timeout. I'm rooting for Golden State as well, and certainly Harden is no Kobe, but after that game, it seems like an odd time to pick on Harden, since he was brilliant for 47 min and 50 sec...
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:27 am    Post subject:

irielight wrote:
The weird thing about this thread is that it seems to imply that Harden didn't play well. On the contrary, he had a great game. If it wasn't for his excellence, the Rockets aren't even in the game. That last play ended badly for them, but I blame McHale as much as anyone - should've called a timeout. I'm rooting for Golden State as well, and certainly Harden is no Kobe, but after that game, it seems like an odd time to pick on Harden, since he was brilliant for 47 min and 50 sec...

it was about making the plays when it mattered the most... fumbling the ball, not even getting off a shot is an epic failure... choking comes to mind.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject:

irielight wrote:

When there were 4.9 sec left, OBH had created separation and had the chance to pull up for an open 20 footer. Instead he passed to D12 who was 23 feet from the basket. That decision sealed his fate. It was an extremely poor decision in a critical moment in their season. It was definitely anti-clutch by any measure unless your name is Henry Abbott.
Mamba3301
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject:

First of all, James Harden is not even in Kobe's league and never will be. He will never break Kobe's scoring records or have a 81 point game and he certainly will never be one of the best defensive players in the league like Kobe was for many years. Having said that, it was enjoyable to watch Stephen Curry shut down any discussion of whether Harden is the "real MVP" or not...it's a easy no. And I prefer skill over floppers too.
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject:

at Howard, Harden and his lone defender in this thread.

(bleep) Houston.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: