Mudiay as a second option if Towns gets drafted

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Mudiay over Okafor if we don't get towns?
Yes draft the new Congo Cash
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Okafor
80%
 80%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 30

Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Mudiay as a second option if Towns gets drafted

In rebuilding I really think Mudiay is more important if we can't get Towns. I would not draft Mudiay over Karl Towns. We can buy a free agent defender to bolster JR and Ed Davis. As far as raw talent Mudiay is looking like a superstar. I know BSPN is hyping Okafor and Towns but wow does he look sweet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2wwPlw4Lmxs

Last edited by Jellojigglin on Mon May 25, 2015 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject:

It's amazing how much mileage that highlight reel has gotten. No chance in hell I would draft him #2.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject:

Observations on other Mudiay videos:

0:52 - Shows good speed. Vert is average. Dunk on wingspan. Head just at net level.
0:58 - Chinese defenders, 1st play, goes around defender and takes a tough bank shot. 2nd play. Shows excellent body control with hesitation and ball-handling, against smaller, slower defenders, makes decision, takes shot. 3rd play. Chinese defender. Splits the hedge on a Pick and roll, takes fadeaway jumpshot from 15'. At the NBA level, the hedge is harder, the pick is set farther away, and the shot is 18'+.
1:18 - Chinese defender is already late to position as Mudiay starts his drive. Freeze the screen at 1:18. PG defender doesn't body up Mudiay. Lane is WIDE open for 3'. Hedge defender isn't between him and the basket; soft faint defense. Doesn't power finish when he has wide open lane.
1:35 - Once again, good, not great speed. Average vert. Body control. Dunk on wingspan.
1:41 - Didn't body up rebounder, just used hands and wingspan to steal the ball.
2:17 - WAY smaller defender, not strong, not quick.
2:25 - Help defender is way out of position, Mudiay has wide open lane. Finesse finish.

1st set observation - Mudiay has physical tools to play at the NBA and uses them over smaller, less athletic defenders. He displays excellent body control with ball-handling/hesitations/splitting double teams, but does not maximize vert to finish at the cup. Jump shots for him are wide open and rarely contested. NBA defenses will body up/tighten the gaps, along with additional strength, length, and quickness.

2nd video

0:06 - NBA caliber move baseline. Elite NBA athletes opt to dunk in that situation. Considering McGrady, Kobe, and VC are of similar size, he opts for body control reverse layup. Very good, not elite athleticism.
0:45 - NBA move in transition, good finish with left hand
1:18 - Slow chinese defender actually set a screen on Mudiay's defender.
1:22 - Mudiay in transition. Marbury gives up 4' in the painted area. PG defenders in transition at the NBA level are expected to slow/stop opponents at the FT line or 3pt. line. Too easy.
1:54 - NBA move. Clarkson's move on PnR. Sees switch, uses immediate change of direction before defender sets, attacks basket.

Second video observations - Mudiay once again shows great body control, but does not explode to finish at the basket. He isn't seeing NCAA physicality-type of defense, but uses solid quickness, ball-handling, and wingspan to complete his plays.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mudiay as a second option if Towns gets drafted

Jellojigglin wrote:
In rebuilding I really think Mudiay is more important if we can't get Towns. I would not draft Mudiay over Karl Towns. We can buy a free agent defender to bolster JR and Ed Davis. As far as raw talent Mudiay is looking like a superstar. I know BSPN is hyping Okafor and Towns but wow does he look sweet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2wwPlw4Lmxs

Russell is even sweeter.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Wouldn't draft nudist unless it's around 7-10
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Flatlyner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject:

I'd draft Russell before Mudiay every day of the week and twice on draft day. That is not to mention I'd draft Okafor in the same manner over Mudiay.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject:

My draft beard looks like this for the lakers

Towns
Russell
Okafor

I haven't seen enough full game footage of mudiay to make any decisions on him but I doubt he's on Russell's level. The one high school game I watched on him they (prime prep) literally ran no plays. It was up and down all game long.

I honestly can't see the lakers passing on russell because the kids a bonifide star. I've watched a lot of basketball in my life and I have a good idea when a kids got "IT". This kid has it in spades. He can wow you in a few different ways ( passing, shooting, and ball handling). He's a true floor general as a true freshman. He scores on or off the ball meaning he can be paired with another star. even when he doesn't have the ball he's directing the offense (coach on the floor). So many intangibles. Great character, winning mentality, knows he's the best player on the floor at all times. He's a no brainier honestly. besides, B.S tanks for star guards so if we draft him he's gonna be good lol
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject:

A lot of people are going to be upset when russell is taken second....don't worry you will get over it pretty quickly.

Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
A lot of people are going to be upset when russell is taken second....don't worry you will get over it pretty quickly.

I for one won't be upset...
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject:

I won't complain if we get Towns, Russell, or Okafor.. but Mudiay? I'm going to have to buy some riot gear. I feel strongly that he's going to bust - he had trouble finishing in the lane against CBA level players + he can't shoot. His athleticism, while good for his size, is way overrated.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
22 wrote:

autocorrect strikes again lol, my bad

meant Mudiay
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Towns
Okafor
Russell

in that order for me.. Honestly, if Russell "wow's" at workouts, I wouldn't mind taking him and making a run at a big man FA this summer. Nothing wrong with that at all.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
My draft beard looks like this for the lakers

Towns
Russell
Okafor

I haven't seen enough full game footage of mudiay to make any decisions on him but I doubt he's on Russell's level. The one high school game I watched on him they (prime prep) literally ran no plays. It was up and down all game long.

I honestly can't see the lakers passing on russell because the kids a bonifide star. I've watched a lot of basketball in my life and I have a good idea when a kids got "IT". This kid has it in spades. He can wow you in a few different ways ( passing, shooting, and ball handling). He's a true floor general as a true freshman. He scores on or off the ball meaning he can be paired with another star. even when he doesn't have the ball he's directing the offense (coach on the floor). So many intangibles. Great character, winning mentality, knows he's the best player on the floor at all times. He's a no brainier honestly. besides, B.S tanks for star guards so if we draft him he's gonna be good lol

Can't deny anything you've said there. I wouldn't be mad if we drafted Russell.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject:

New Mudiay Clip

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
New Mudiay Clip

wow holy crap he does not look fast. even w/o the ball. ewgh
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
kikanga wrote:
New Mudiay Clip

Beware of the angles
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
kikanga wrote:
New Mudiay Clip

Beware of the angles

Na he didn't look fast in transition in China either. This vid is just a tidbit of confirmation
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: