Jared Dudley: "Most guys don't want to play with Kobe..would be surprised if Love goes there"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers 4 eva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers 4 eva wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
No, Shaq was making around $23 mil when it was offered.

Then he signed w/ Miami for $20M. Jerry could've easily gave him the $25M he wanted... but he CHOSE not to. Salary Cap was not as stringent in those days.

You did a masterful job of leaving out the incidents before Shaq "demanded" a trade to save face. Lets see the contract promise of $25M that Shaq claims Jerry made, Mitch openly saying at season's end that they would explore trading everyone except Kobe is untouchable, etc... you know little details.

The detail about how the Lakers and Shaq came to an agreement at mid season that he would be traded after the season since they couldn't come to terms on an extension? Both sides knew Shaq was gone long before the season was over. But that doesn't negate the fact that Dr. Buss wanted to keep both Kobe and Shaq.

Once again, if he wanted to keep Shaq that bad why not pay him what he wanted? The answer is always Kobe. Kobe would have left if Shaq stayed. Whatever lipservice Dr Buss, Shaq or Kobe was putting out there we all know Kobe was gone if Shaq was extended. It's funny people were saying that it's all Kobe's fault why Shaq was traded. It's true. No ifs ands or buts about it. Thank god he was traded or we wouldn't have won another championship for awhile.

I don't know if you work with a budget, but the Lakers do. They offered Shaq the going market rate, that is entirely different than letting Shaq write their check for them. Just a little common sense. And yes, Kobe had nothing to do with it.

Yep. It really was the economics of it and the rift that Shaq drove into the situation with the whole "PAY MEEE!" schtick. They offered Shaq exactly what they should have under the circumstances - he still would have been the highest paid player in the league with was Doc Buss offered. There was no reason to over pay for a guy who was starting the downside of his career and making it clear he was going to do the minimum from there on out. They were basing their offer on Shaq.

More importantly, they had NO guarantees that Kobe was going to stay if Shaq left.

Main reason even though VLF doesn't want to admit it. SHaq was traded for a bag of chips so Kobe will stay. Kobe was not going to leave but if SHaq had stayed on the team, I believe he would have signed elsewhere
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject:

I was talking with a Dallas fan the other night and he made a point that I thought was pretty fair. He said that nobody really wants to come play in Dallas right now because Dirk is in the twilight of his career. Like Kobe.

The problem with that, is that those guys have always been winners and have fans that will never waver in their support and anything that doesn't work out perfectly will probably result in criticism for the new guy.

Plus the thing is, Dirk and Kobe probably don't have enough left in the tank to carry their teams to anymore rings.

This is why Mitch said that he doesn't anticipate Kobe staying past this next year. The Lakers probably don't feel like they can pay him anywhere close to what he has been paid these last few years. If Kobe wants to stay, he will need to take less money and take a back seat. Not sure he can do that.

As far as other guys NOT wanting to play with him. The other guys are pus.sies and I don't want them here anyhow.

Trust me, any star who comes here "post Kobe" and brings Howards losing personality traits with them, are gonna be booed right off this team.

The good thing about LA is we know what it takes to win, the bad thing is, LA is not gonna tolerate half assed talent anymore. Anyone who comes here boasting about getting maxed, better deliver or get out.

For the (bleep) who don't want to play here, scroo them, we don't want them because we like winners.

As far as Dudley goes, wouldn't want him, he should shut his pie hole. I hope Carmelo destroys him next time they meet.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 4 eva wrote:
Main reason even though VLF doesn't want to admit it. SHaq was traded for a bag of chips so Kobe will stay. Kobe was not going to leave but if SHaq had stayed on the team, I believe he would have signed elsewhere

What you believe doesn't have anything to do with what the Lakers were doing at the time.

Shaq was not traded for a "bag of chips". It was a pretty good one under the circumstances - and one that brought in a big part of the 2 Tiles in 3 Finals appearances teams - Lamar. Shaq had forced the Lakers hand even after they offered him a contract that was MORE than fair.

As I said, the Lakers had no guarantees Kobe was going to stay either way. As was proven by the fact that he said he was going to sign with the Clippers even knowing Shaq was traded until the 11th hour when Jerry West told him he should stay with the Lakers.

The Shaq/Lakers negotiations that year were ALL about Shaq and his attitude. Kobe was a whole separate unrelated issue - as subject I actually spoke to Mitch on the phone about in the two days between Shaq's trade and Kobe's resigning. They took two unrelated approaches to their decisions.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Who is Jared Dudley? And why his opinion count?

Its an yearly ESPN agenda isnt it?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 4 eva wrote:

Yeah, won't admit something that is incorrect. And I am not waffling about if it was because of Kobe or not like you seem to be. It wasn't, it was all about Shaq. I guess LO was bag of chips that was an important part of 2 titles. I wish we could get some chips like that now.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Lakers 4 eva wrote:

What you believe doesn't have anything to do with what the Lakers were doing at the time.

Shaq was not traded for a "bag of chips". It was a pretty good one under the circumstances - and one that brought in a big part of the 2 Tiles in 3 Finals appearances teams - Lamar. Shaq had forced the Lakers hand even after they offered him a contract that was MORE than fair.

As I said, the Lakers had no guarantees Kobe was going to stay either way. As was proven by the fact that he said he was going to sign with the Clippers even knowing Shaq was traded until the 11th hour when Jerry West told him he should stay with the Lakers.

The Shaq/Lakers negotiations that year were ALL about Shaq and his attitude. Kobe was a whole separate unrelated issue - as subject I actually spoke to Mitch on the phone about in the two days between Shaq's trade and Kobe's resigning. They took two unrelated approaches to their decisions.

Just my conspiracy, but I think that Dr. Buss agreed to trade Shaq to Miami at Shaq's request, which makes the package we got from them even better. I believe that Riley coming to talk about replacing Phil was all trade talk and not a coaching discussion.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
Most guys do not want to play with Kobe. Just like most guys who play in the league that will never win. They will all get paid, but never win. Makes sense.

so playing with Kobe = winning titles? LeBron i'd agree, not with Kobe, not even close

Holy Cow, you've become a buffoonish troll who can't count.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
Most guys do not want to play with Kobe. Just like most guys who play in the league that will never win. They will all get paid, but never win. Makes sense.

so playing with Kobe = winning titles? LeBron i'd agree, not with Kobe, not even close

Holy Cow, you've become a buffoonish troll who can't count.

But he does know the difference between the future and the past.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject:

8 pages because the Subway guy doesn't like Kobe?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: