Has Mitch's wand ever been this loaded?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has Mitch's wand ever been this loaded?
Yes
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
No
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 7

LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Has Mitch's wand ever been this loaded?

I remember the times we had Odom/Bynum, but I think this is the most he's had to ever work with in putting a team together when u take Kobe Bryant out of the equation. Of course when he was young you didn't need to put as much around him, but he's still making a lot of money at his age. I've been seeing some people with the expectation of this team being very low. Some think they won't make the playoffs, some think they will be 500. I think with the current assets, this can be a very competitive team next year with out sacrificing much.

1. Give or take 22 Million in Capspace
2. # 2 Pick
3. Julius Randle
4. Jordan Clarkson
5. #27th Pick
6. #34th Pick
7. Ryan Kelly
8. Tariq Black and Robert Sacre on under a million a year contracts
9. Nick Young

I don't think he's gonna trade Randle, #2 Pick or Clarkson because they don't want to sacrifice the future. But even if you keep them , he still has a lot to work with in getting two-three more very good players. I have a feeling some people are are going to take some not so drastic paycuts to make this a very good off season.
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject:

^
1. I don't really care about next year. I care about the season after, when the rookies have had a year in the league and might develop enough to be draws for free agents after Kobe's salary comes off the book.
2. I don't count on all the rookies being all-stars or even starters off the bat. I expect the usual struggles and growing pains. I expect some of the young players to pan out, and some to wash out.
3. I think we'll be in the running for free agents, but lots of teams will have lots of cap space so the competition for free agents will be more intense than ever. I don't see anyone signing with us for below-market rates.
4. I think we are in a good position, but we don't have any players you can pencil in as part of the future with confidence. It's more like we have a lot of pieces that could turn into something, and become a draw for top free agents. But they're not currently big draws or even for-sure starters.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject:

We had a lot of assets in the mid-90's too. NVE, Jones, Peeler, Lynch, Campbell, Vlade, Ceballos. A lot of depth that they sacrificed for Kobe, Shaq and some rings. The wand wasn't truly Mitch's to wave, but he was working side by side with the Logo to make things happen.

That was a fun time in Lakerland. We're starting in on another fun time now.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
We had a lot of assets in the mid-90's too. NVE, Jones, Peeler, Lynch, Campbell, Vlade, Ceballos. A lot of depth that they sacrificed for Kobe, Shaq and some rings. The wand wasn't truly Mitch's to wave, but he was working side by side with the Logo to make things happen.

That was a fun time in Lakerland. We're starting in on another fun time now.

If we were to do a side-by-side comparison here's the way I see it:

Shaq and Kobe were ultimately the prizes in 1996. Peeler, Lynch, and Vlade were the casualties in their acquisition. So when the smoke cleared, West had NVE, Jones, Campbell, and Ceballos to sell to Shaq. He also had Kobe and Fisher but there's no way Shaq could at the time account for what they would become.

It's doubtful we pick up a max player this offseason, so Mitch's 1996 offseason will be 2016 plus/minus 2017 depending on our 2016 acquistions and how the CBA plays out. So that's an opportunity to acquire 2-3 MAX players. Whereas there are players who might one day come close to replicating Kobe's impact, there's definitely nobody near Shaq-level impact over the next few summers. So through no fault of his own, Mitch is at a disadvantage here.

I think Clarkson has Eddie-level impact potential. Though he'll never be the defender Eddie was, he's shown scoring acumen and is already a better creator. Okafor and Randle's respective ceilings well exceed what Campbell and Ceballos eventually became though the reality of course remains to be seen. So it boils down to NVE, Fisher, Rooks, and a bunch of vet minimums against 22+ in cap-space this summer, Black, #27, #34, and, of course, as many vet minimums as required/desired.

In summary:

* 2-3 MAX players in 2016 ± 2017 < Shaq, Kobe
* Clarkson (potentially) = Eddie
* Okafor, Randle (potentially) > Elden, Ceballos
* 2 impact FAs, Black, #27, #34 ?VS? NVE, Fisher

I think Mitch is setting himself up well for a big summer in 2016 and/or 2017. He needs to grab at least 2 impact FAs this summer and score well on at least one of the picks.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: