Gasol or Pip?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who was the better player or had the better career, PGasol or Pip?
Gasol
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Pippen
87%
 87%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 39

OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject:

They play different positions.
Pippen was a great player, but would have made a lousy center.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject:

The fact that Phil built 6 championships with 2 wing guys as his focal point, then won 5 more with a wing and a center as the focal point, says a lot about his system. Gasol and Shaq couldn't be more different, yet similar outcomes.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Pippen and it's not even (bleep) close.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject:

pippen all the way. and i'm assuming he is being paired with kobe, that's why. if we're talking who's better as the #1 guy, i may change my answer. but if we're talking about #2, geez, no brainer....pippen.

think about this...2000, shaq/kobe as young and athletic as can be, shaq having one of the most dominant seasons ever, so dominant, the nba instituted a zone the year after. this laker team is considered among the all time great teams.

ok...in the conference finals...pippen was playing roaming defense. and he wreaked havoc on the entire laker team. kobe/shaq both had problems scoring or getting comfortable. and it game 7 it basically took miracles from shaw to even be in it. what i'm saying is that you can sort of claim that pippen shut the lakers offense down. he was incredible. i still claim that it was one of the best individual defensive performances i've ever seen. i compare his defense in that series to the level of someone being able to score 60 in a playoff game. it was like that, but for defense.

and he was incredible on offense, also. pau beats him as far as being a center, big man. but overall, no way. pippen might be the best ever.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Love Pau, but Pippen was more impact for more years. Pau had about 3 years where he arguably was maybe the best all around player in the league. Kobe was the most dominant scorer at the time, and Pau was the most complete all around player. He'd play PF, C for us. He'd set up other players with his great playmaking skills. He'd defend PF's and C's - mainly anchor championship teams down the stretch in the 4th (Not easy job). He did a lot those 3 years and that version of Pau was as good as any Pippen version.

Now here's where Pippen blows it open for himself. Pippen was that impact for 9 years almost as a Bull under Phil. From 90-99 Pippen was an elite defender, playmaker and 2nd option. He had a year where Jordan was out, where he was a MVP caliber player. And 6 rings > 2

Definitely Pippen on this one, but Pau's 2008-2010 nearly 3 seasons of Laker ball were some of the best you'll ever see from a big guy in the NBA. I really think Laker fans didn't appreciate enough all the little things Pau changed for the Lakers. In the same regard, I'm sure many Bulls fans under appreciated all that Pippen did for MJ/Bulls.

I wish we could have had more years of Pau/Kobe ball under Phil than we got. We got about 3.5 years and similar to the Spurs - I think if they had stuck it out we'd have gotten #6 for KB and #3 for Pau. There was one more ring left in that duo, allbeit with massive changes with the players around them (such as needing to bring in Iguodala for Odom, a new starting PG not named Fisher etc)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject:

In 94, Pippen came damn close to ruining MJ's legacy. Without Kobe, Pau's career almost went in the way of Al Jefferson, as in empty points, no impact. Whenever we played the Grizzlies, you never feared Pau. He was a good player, but he wasn't impactful. Memphis gave up on him at 27.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject:

I can't see how this is a serious question.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Pip's PER of 18.6 and 18.4 (post season) and his peak season of 23.2 and 22.8; and his WS/148 of .146 and .140, and .209/.197 peak

are all lower than

Pau's PER of 21.6 and 20.7 (post season) and his peak season of 24.1 and 24.0; and his WS/148 of .170 and .161 and .232/.224 peak.

And people wonder why some of us laugh at statometrics.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject:

I was an MJ fan and still a fan of Phil n Pippen.
In those days the Bulls were really bullying other teams with their offene n defense. MJ, Rodman/Horace Grant and particularly Pippen were a nightmare on defense. Pippen emerged as the second best player offensively but defensively he was one notch harder than MJ.

Gasol had some impressive numbers with Grizz before but playing along side Kobe n Phil helped him find his true value. We chocked big time in 2008 but other than that Gasol was a big help in 2 ships in 09 n 10.

So, who is better between Pippen and Gasol?

I think Kobe n Phil will unanimously pick the right one to pair with Kobe to produce more rings in their prime.

Some here already said it was not even close. You would have seen a different Kobe. One that would attack, attack n then chase n lock his guys without worrying about playmaking so much.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
No doubt Scottie had a better career when you look at the numbers and results.

Better player? That's a little tougher for me. They are two different guys who bring different things - and I don't like Pippen and like Pau a great deal. I guess it comes down to if I am picking one or the other to round out my 5 players on a team, it'd be Pippen - as much as it pains me to say it.

That's the post that probably parallels my thoughts on the subject. I might choose the young, committed version of Pau depending on if the team had a hole in the middle. I think Pippen is a little hyped in retrospect. For starters, he guarded Magic 1:1 for one gm of that 1991 series and everyone thinks it was all series. The Bulls used numerous looks on Magic including Jordan 1:1 and doubles by Scott/Mike and one of them plus whoever else was close. If that's not even known to this day, that's what you call hype.

Other than that, Scott was a fantastic player to be sure and I recognize that and I love to watch him play, but I remember when stans were calling him the 2nd best player in the league behind Jordan. Shrunk in the clutch without Mike there, he was shakier than Pau at being the only sub-superstar on a team. In 1994 was every bit the problem child that Derrick Coleman was, e.g. He flipped off his own fans, threw a chair in 95, very petulant because he signed a bad contract in 92 that he couldn't get out of.

Unlike Pau, Scott was able to play his game with impunity more than any other 2nd guy I can think of, especially with Rodman there. He roamed freely. He knew that if he didn't create a turnover or a score, then Jordan would, in the role of a sniper watching over his troops. Pau had to carry more weight offensively and was targeted as a key cog of our title teams ALONG with Kobe. Everyone wanted Pau to be stuck in the paint all series long and would freak if he was trying to employ his perimeter skills. Pau had zee-ro freedom. I don't know how much the Bulls' opponents argued behind closed doors that minimizing Scottie Pippen was the key to winning a series.

In the end, though, if you have let's say the 2009 Lakers and can either plug in the 25-28 yr old versions of Scott or Pau, you're gonna win the title either way. One may suit a different style better than the other, but let's not pretend that both aren't gonna increase a good team's chances by an extreme measure. Many people here who had seen a lot of hoops in their day knew the moment we got Pau that it was gonna result in a championship. I did. I agree with Wolfie in that Scott had a longer run than Pau of championship caliber play at his position, but as far as their primes go, it's not as far off as Scottie's reputation for 2 way play would make it seem. Pau still got it done when need be. That Gm 7 vs Boston, it was PAU and Artest, 1 and 2. Would Pippen at the same age have hurt that Celtics team in that same situation the same as Pau did? Maybe not.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:02 am    Post subject:

I'll phrase it this way.

Think of how beastly Gasol was on offense.

Now imagine him All-D first team for a decade.

That's Pippen.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject:

How is this even a poll comes to mind and I am a huge fan of Pau, wish we could have kept him, is among if not my very favorite humans in the league playing, was hoping they'd win the title in Chi because of him alone, and on and on.

Pippen, easy, and makes me wonder how much Pippen people have seen.

Another angle - Would Kobe be as effusive about Pau as MJ has been about Scottie? Relevant because I think these guys would know, and neither is particularly a praise filled person.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Whenever we played the Grizzlies, you never feared Pau. He was a good player, but he wasn't impactful. Memphis gave up on him at 27.

To be fair, those Memphis teams weren't very good. I believe in his 5 years at Memphis Gasol only had one teammate who even made a single all-star team in his entire career. And that was Eddie Jones, who was 34 and far removed from his all-star days.

So I'd say we were less afraid of Memphis, then we were of Gasol.

Pippen, in contrast, was always surrounded by great teammates: when he played with Jordan and without him.

I am not sure that either Pippen or Gasol is good enough to be the #1 guy on a ring team.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
I think Scottie is in the conversation of being a top 10 all time player

Just stop.

Top 50, yes; top 10, yeah right.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Whenever we played the Grizzlies, you never feared Pau. He was a good player, but he wasn't impactful. Memphis gave up on him at 27.

To be fair, those Memphis teams weren't very good. I believe in his 5 years at Memphis Gasol only had one teammate who even made a single all-star team in his entire career. And that was Eddie Jones, who was 34 and far removed from his all-star days.

So I'd say we were less afraid of Memphis, then we were of Gasol.

Pippen, in contrast, was always surrounded by great teammates: when he played with Jordan and without him.

I am not sure that either Pippen or Gasol is good enough to be the #1 guy on a ring team.

Your 'to be fair' does not apply. Whatever level the team, you can fear an individual player with examples aplenty, very recent to way back. He said you 'never' feared Pau. The question is did you ever fear Pippen(not about relative fear)? IMO yes, but that's the question. I think it is no debate on Pau, who is my favorite human playing today. You did not fear him.

There was a play I recall as a kid seeing Pippen around half court with the ball on his hand set offense, where he just accelerated so fast and up from top of the key to the slam, that I was blown away, thinking MJ, isnt even that explosive at that last point. That's fear-inducing, just on offense.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject:

One only needs to see how far the 1994 Bulls got with Pippen as the #1 option.....
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
In 94, Pippen came damn close to ruining MJ's legacy. Without Kobe, Pau's career almost went in the way of Al Jefferson, as in empty points, no impact. Whenever we played the Grizzlies, you never feared Pau. He was a good player, but he wasn't impactful. Memphis gave up on him at 27.

Yep, if the Bulls had won that game they would've gone all the way to the Finals.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Yep, if the Bulls had won that game they would've gone all the way to the Finals.

Heck, if the Bulls win that game, maybe the Knicks get stoked and win the next two games, and the outcome is exactly the same -- a loss in the second round. Ya never know ... which is why woulda-coulda-shouldas mean zilch ....
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Pip easily.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
No doubt Scottie had a better career when you look at the numbers and results.

Better player? That's a little tougher for me. They are two different guys who bring different things - and I don't like Pippen and like Pau a great deal. I guess it comes down to if I am picking one or the other to round out my 5 players on a team, it'd be Pippen - as much as it pains me to say it.

That's the post that probably parallels my thoughts on the subject. I might choose the young, committed version of Pau depending on if the team had a hole in the middle. I think Pippen is a little hyped in retrospect. For starters, he guarded Magic 1:1 for one gm of that 1991 series and everyone thinks it was all series. The Bulls used numerous looks on Magic including Jordan 1:1 and doubles by Scott/Mike and one of them plus whoever else was close. If that's not even known to this day, that's what you call hype.

Other than that, Scott was a fantastic player to be sure and I recognize that and I love to watch him play, but I remember when stans were calling him the 2nd best player in the league behind Jordan. Shrunk in the clutch without Mike there, he was shakier than Pau at being the only sub-superstar on a team. In 1994 was every bit the problem child that Derrick Coleman was, e.g. He flipped off his own fans, threw a chair in 95, very petulant because he signed a bad contract in 92 that he couldn't get out of.

Unlike Pau, Scott was able to play his game with impunity more than any other 2nd guy I can think of, especially with Rodman there. He roamed freely. He knew that if he didn't create a turnover or a score, then Jordan would, in the role of a sniper watching over his troops. Pau had to carry more weight offensively and was targeted as a key cog of our title teams ALONG with Kobe. Everyone wanted Pau to be stuck in the paint all series long and would freak if he was trying to employ his perimeter skills. Pau had zee-ro freedom. I don't know how much the Bulls' opponents argued behind closed doors that minimizing Scottie Pippen was the key to winning a series.

In the end, though, if you have let's say the 2009 Lakers and can either plug in the 25-28 yr old versions of Scott or Pau, you're gonna win the title either way. One may suit a different style better than the other, but let's not pretend that both aren't gonna increase a good team's chances by an extreme measure. Many people here who had seen a lot of hoops in their day knew the moment we got Pau that it was gonna result in a championship. I did. I agree with Wolfie in that Scott had a longer run than Pau of championship caliber play at his position, but as far as their primes go, it's not as far off as Scottie's reputation for 2 way play would make it seem. Pau still got it done when need be. That Gm 7 vs Boston, it was PAU and Artest, 1 and 2. Would Pippen at the same age have hurt that Celtics team in that same situation the same as Pau did? Maybe not.

These are good points and have complicated my stance on the matter.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject:

PER is poor at incorporating defense.

Pippen was the best defensive wing ever and a great facilitator on offense. He's a level above Pau.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject:

If Gasols career ended today - pip. I say that as a bb fan.

But as a laker fan Gasol. He fit in perfect with our team and helped get us two championships. Who knows how pip would've fit in. But at the time we needed a top tier scoring big and we got him. And we already had LO who might not have been as good as pip, was still serving the same role more or less.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
ocho wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
I think Scottie is in the conversation of being a top 10 all time player

Just stop.

Top 50, yes; top 10, yeah right.
He's a 100% in the top 50 but one could also argue he's somewhere between 20 and 25.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: