Phil Jackson says Lebron travels a lot & discusses his disdain for today's NBA offenses
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MDI
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Phil Jackson says Lebron travels a lot & discusses his disdain for today's NBA offenses

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2488958-phil-jackson-nbas-lord-of-the-rings-faces-ultimate-test-saving-the-knicks?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=br_knicks&utm_source=twitter.com

Quote:
"I watch LeBron James, for example," he said. "He might [travel] every other time he catches the basketball if he's off the ball. He catches the ball, moves both his feet. You see it happen all the time. There's no structure, there's no discipline, there's no 'How do we play this game' type of attitude. And it goes all the way through the game. To the point where now guys don't screen—they push guys off with their hands."

What Jackson did talk about at length was his belief in "a structure" or "a format" that involves all five players and emphasizes ball and player movement, whether it's the triangle or another system. He cited the Spurs and Warriors and Hawks as teams that exemplified the ideal.

But he disdains much of what he sees: an endless series of pick-and-roll plays, one setting up the next, until someone gets a layup or a three-pointer.

"The game actually has some beauty to it, and we've kind of taken some of that out of it to make it individualized," Jackson said. "It's a lot of who we are as a country, individualized stuff."

Indeed, Jackson seems much less concerned with validating the triangle than with the state of the game itself.

"When I watch some of these playoff games, and I look at what's being run out there, as what people call an offense, it's really quite remarkable to see how far our game has fallen from a team game," Jackson said. "Four guys stand around watching one guy dribble a basketball."
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject:

Right on time

http://ballislife.com/lebron-travel/
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject:

Phil still trying to figure out why two all time greats and the triangle isn't just falling together for him.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject:

At least he's humble and learning from his mistakes so far.

Quote:
Q. You came to the Knicks a little over a year ago. Knowing what you know now, would you have still taken the job?

JACKSON Without a doubt. I knew it was going to be a challenge. We just didn’t have any room to work last year. We knew that we were going to have to make big changes with the limitations that we had, being in a locked-in situation as far as the salary cap goes. That’s why when I said recently that I didn’t know why I wasn’t given some votes for executive of the year, I wasn’t kidding. I was really serious. We had a yeoman’s job of having to get rid of a lot of fat on our roster to get to where we are.

LINK
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject:

We struggled to find someone with a lousy old PG on an even longer contract so we could dump our elite defensive big's expiring contract, and it was hard to wait until the deadline to get rid of Shumpert, but doing that in the offseason would have returned actual value, so, you know, we didn't want to do that.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject:

this is why Phil is not front office material. i mean what's the point of this conversation? guess what Phil, most of the FAs out there you try to get love the current style of play. good luck finding one who shares your philosophy.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Phil Jackson says Lebron travels a lot & discusses his disdain for today's NBA offenses

MDI wrote:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2488958-phil-jackson-nbas-lord-of-the-rings-faces-ultimate-test-saving-the-knicks?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=br_knicks&utm_source=twitter.com

Quote:
"I watch LeBron James, for example," he said. "He might [travel] every other time he catches the basketball if he's off the ball. He catches the ball, moves both his feet. You see it happen all the time. There's no structure, there's no discipline, there's no 'How do we play this game' type of attitude. And it goes all the way through the game. To the point where now guys don't screen—they push guys off with their hands."

What Jackson did talk about at length was his belief in "a structure" or "a format" that involves all five players and emphasizes ball and player movement, whether it's the triangle or another system. He cited the Spurs and Warriors and Hawks as teams that exemplified the ideal.

But he disdains much of what he sees: an endless series of pick-and-roll plays, one setting up the next, until someone gets a layup or a three-pointer.

"The game actually has some beauty to it, and we've kind of taken some of that out of it to make it individualized," Jackson said. "It's a lot of who we are as a country, individualized stuff."

Indeed, Jackson seems much less concerned with validating the triangle than with the state of the game itself.

"When I watch some of these playoff games, and I look at what's being run out there, as what people call an offense, it's really quite remarkable to see how far our game has fallen from a team game," Jackson said. "Four guys stand around watching one guy dribble a basketball."

I share his disdain. I would hate it if we went to that type of offense. Spurs do it best. Beautiful basketball. Ball movement, player movement, constant motion. When you have the pieces, you have a virtually unguardable offense.

It's like the league took a single element from the triangle, PnR, and built entire offenses around it. It's simple, and it works(until they meet a team that can play the PnR), but it's not beautiful basketball. It's downright ugly, actually.

How offense should be ran

The amount of passing that goes on is ridiculous. No surprise that it's two of the greatest coaches in NBA history that's on another level of thinking when it comes to offense.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject:

he does that bunny hop and crab walk every single time.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Phil Jackson says Lebron travels a lot & discusses his disdain for today's NBA offenses

USCandLakers wrote:
MDI wrote:

Quote:

I share his disdain. I would hate it if we went to that type of offense. Spurs do it best. Beautiful basketball. Ball movement, player movement, constant motion. When you have the pieces, you have a virtually unguardable offense.

It's like the league took a single element from the triangle, PnR, and built entire offenses around it. It's simple, and it works(until they meet a team that can play the PnR), but it's not beautiful basketball. It's downright ugly, actually.

The amount of passing that goes on is ridiculous. No surprise that it's two of the greatest coaches in NBA history that's on another level of thinking when it comes to offense.

Beautiful stuff the Spurs run indeed. Of course, it is mostly up tempo, 1 in 4 out, spread and attack off the dribble or pick and roll, with very few post ups and almost all of them as secondary actions.

Oh, and the league didn't borrow the pick and roll from the tri. It isn't part of traditional tri sets. Jackson's triangle borrowed it from others, not the other way around.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Phil Jackson says Lebron travels a lot & discusses his disdain for today's NBA offenses

24 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
MDI wrote:

Quote:

Beautiful stuff the Spurs run indeed. Of course, it is mostly up tempo, 1 in 4 out, spread and attack off the dribble or pick and roll, with very few post ups and almost all of them as secondary actions.

Oh, and the league didn't borrow the pick and roll from the tri. It isn't part of traditional tri sets. Jackson's triangle borrowed it from others, not the other way around.

Which is what Phil would run if he had the Spurs' personnel. The guy has won 11 championships running offenses that were not built in the same way. MJ/Pippen first 3 peat, MJ/Pippen second 3 peat. Kobe/Shaq Lakers. Kobe/Pau Lakers. The Triangle is the most versatile offense, it has everything. The Spurs' system is forged in the principles of the triangle.

1. Penetration.
2. Spacing.
3. Ball and player movement with a purpose.
4. The ball handler must be able to pass to any of his four teammates at any given time.
5. Offensive rebounding and defensive balance.
6. Versatile positioning.
7. Utilizes individual talents.

Just look at the two videos, that's offense with a purpose. Every pass, every movement(whether on ball or off), every screen, they all have a purpose. Funny thing is, the triangle isn't all about post play. That's just the players Phil had, and he morphed his offense around his personnel, which is a sign of good coaching. I know of a coach who simply could not do that.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject:

The triangle won't work with a player of Melo's caliber. Not to mention that team has way too many holes to make use of the triangle. I'm afraid the Knicks are doomed even with Phil at the helm. All their bets were on drafting a big man like Okafor/Towns and they will probably end up settling for a PG or 2nd tier center in this years draft.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Phil missing the spotlight
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Quote:
Q. You came to the Knicks a little over a year ago. Knowing what you know now, would you have still taken the job?

JACKSON Without a doubt. I knew it was going to be a challenge. We just didn’t have any room to work last year. We knew that we were going to have to make big changes with the limitations that we had, being in a locked-in situation as far as the salary cap goes. That’s why when I said recently that I didn’t know why I wasn’t given some votes for executive of the year, I wasn’t kidding. I was really serious. We had a yeoman’s job of having to get rid of a lot of fat on our roster to get to where we are.

LINK
Lmfao

Lebron does travel a lot.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Glad to hear PJ say all this stuff. I wouldn't mind seeing a Lakers vs NY Finals sometime soon, hopefully with Kobe still here.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Glad to hear PJ say all this stuff. I wouldn't mind seeing a Lakers vs NY Finals sometime soon, hopefully with Kobe still here.
That will never happen anytime soon.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Quote:

LINK

I know some of this is his usual referee baiting and it will be effective as usual but he has lost me with some of this other stuff. Executive of the year votes? Ugly basketball? Did he take a look at the product he put on the floor? There was nothing beautiful going on out there.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject:

I agree with Phil on his take with Lebron... I can't believe refs have not discussed during their bi-weekly meetings how to put an end to the blatant travels.

if the NBA has successfully eliminated a lot of bull crap, childish and immature plays, as well as over complaining/reactions (for which I applaud the league), I have confidence they can also enforce basic tenets of the game such as the traveling call.

I also agreed with Phil that Lebron took too much usage, dribbling the ball looking for plays or ways to score, and most of the time only passing for assists.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Phil Jackson says Lebron travels a lot & discusses his disdain for today's NBA offenses

MDI wrote:

Quote:

Lebron travels based on the old criteria, but everyone does these days. The NBA loosened the rules to make the game more exciting. Heck, does Phil really think Carmelo Anthony doesn't travel based on the old criteria? Guys will always take whatever the refs give them.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Phil Jackson says Lebron travels a lot & discusses his disdain for today's NBA offenses

activeverb wrote:
MDI wrote:

Quote:

Lebron travels based on the old criteria, but everyone does these days. The NBA loosened the rules to make the game more exciting. Heck, does Phil really think Carmelo Anthony doesn't travel based on the old criteria? Guys will always take whatever the refs give them.

Carmelo has 100x better footwork than Lebron. he's not perfect, but let's not act like he walks like Lebron does... sheesh.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Phil Jackson says Lebron travels a lot & discusses his disdain for today's NBA offenses

Drifts wrote:
activeverb wrote:
MDI wrote:

Quote:

Carmelo has 100x better footwork than Lebron. he's not perfect, but let's not act like he walks like Lebron does... sheesh.

He's got great footwork, but he travels all the time based on the old criteria. And that's what people don't get. The players will take advantage of however the game is called. We have an epidemic of traveling because the NBA allows it in order so the players can make flashier plays. Been this way for decades. The NBA loosened the rules on carrying the ball so Magic could be Magic.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Phil Jackson says Lebron travels a lot & discusses his disdain for today's NBA offenses

activeverb wrote:
Drifts wrote:
activeverb wrote:
MDI wrote:

Quote:

He's got great footwork, but he travels all the time based on the old criteria. And that's what people don't get. The players will take advantage of however the game is called. We have an epidemic of traveling because the NBA allows it in order so the players can make flashier plays. Been this way for decades. The NBA loosened the rules on carrying the ball so Magic could be Magic.

wow exaggerate much? traveling from time to time is different from traveling ALL the time. having great footwork means not traveling while working your way to the hoop or making an offensive play.

the difference between Lebron and Melo is Melo is able to keep his pivot foot planted when posting up, most of the time at least. however, majority of the time, Lebron takes extra steps to complete an offensive move... even one of his most highlighted play, his game-winner vs the Bullets was a blatant travel violation, which was not called.

Lebron almost always takes an extra step or two to gather after picking up his dribble when driving to the basket... Melo has enough discipline to take just the allowed 2 steps to gather himself when driving to the hoop.

so comparing Melo and Lebron's footwork is not very wise since one has great footwork, the other one has iffy footwork.

also, I don't really care about the carry violation call since I consider it a gray area and it happens about just a split second. however, the traveling violation can easily be spotted with good officiating.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject:

I agree that Carmelo's footwork is much better, so his travels are less obvious than Lebron's often are.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Lebron's biggest weakness is his footwork, when he plays in the post, he had to bang hard trying to overpower his defender, that's probably why he always ran out of gas in the 4th quarter.

Kobe, mj, or even melo is great in the post because of their footworks, it is so much easier to score when u master ur footwork.

Maybe because he was taller, so his dribbles are longer, but if u watch his foot work in the post, it ain't pretty
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject:

The guy who coached Michael Jordan is complaining about individualism in basketball. Interesting.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
The guy who coached Michael Jordan is complaining about individualism in basketball. Interesting.

I noticed that too
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: