ESPN: Lakers Interested in Demarcus Cousins (Woj: Kings looking to hire Calipari, fire Karl; Calipari denies being contacted and isn't interested in leaving KY, pg.186)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 183, 184, 185 ... 192, 193, 194  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Floyd24NDLAL wrote:
I prefer DJ over Boogy he just seems to fit better with Randle, Clarkson, & Russell

Cousins schooled DJ last year...with an almost guarantee that Cousins will be even better this year. I want DJ...but Cousins is the better player.
beastlybp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
Floyd24NDLAL wrote:
I prefer DJ over Boogy he just seems to fit better with Randle, Clarkson, & Russell

Cousins schooled DJ last year...with an almost guarantee that Cousins will be even better this year. I want DJ...but Cousins is the better player.

Agree, DJ is a great help defender and shot blocker but is average in post defending.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject:

THE_DAGGER wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Let's wrap up this discussion since the deal is dead. Will be locking this up soon.

It's not dead. The person that said it was dead posted a link for an article from Thursday. So yes, the draft day deal is dead. But, this is still ongoing until at least the end of July, August.

Cousins may well get traded, but it certainly doesn't look like it will be to the Lakers. Mitch seems to have moved on to acquiring a big through free-agency rather than give up Russell, Randle or Clarkson.

I'll compromise and move to General Basketball and bring it back to the Lounge if there is any new info about the Lakers interest.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject:

The only player I would consider trading for Cousins is Julius Randle... I would take Russell and Clarkson permanently off the table at this point.

Plus, on July 1st, the Lakers can complete sign & trades to make some type of deal happen where Randle is the central piece going out.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
The only player I would consider trading for Cousins is Julius Randle... I would take Russell and Clarkson permanently off the table at this point.

Plus, on July 1st, the Lakers can complete sign & trades to make some type of deal happen where Randle is the central piece going out.

Why is Randle the most expendable in your scenario. From what we heard about the trade talks, Mitch was unwilling to move Randle and reluctant to move Clarkson. So that tells me that Mitch highly values Randle as star potential and Clarkson as a really good player he doesn't want to let go.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject:

I'll get grilled for this, but imo cousins is a top 2 center in the nba. I blame his lack of wins on an absolutely dysfunctional franchise, the beast western conference, and an awful roster. I actually have him as who I think is the best center in the nba in a very very poor situation. I understand others disagree.

But lakers always have the expectation to win it's LA. From showtime, to kobe shaq, to kobe pau...there's a reason we're the winningest franchise in the modern era. I don't want the early 90's team, I want to trade for cousins and get to the shaq kobe era already (cousins russell)

Wilt, kaj, shaq, pau, (even dwight though it didn't work out). It's the lakers way acquire big via trade/free agency.

Last edited by Lakers_Jester on Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject:

I find it weird for ppl to not want cousins because he's a "headcase" yet kobe has been a leader in technicals for seasons, is infamous for his clashes with teammates, has pouted in games where he just passes to prove a point (phx playoffs when we were up 3-1, although I'm sure some will argue this point). If anyone wants to show the play where cousins didn't play d on the inbound play this last season, I can show u kobe huddling his teammates on an inbound play while the ball was live leading to a free bucket. Everyone has mental lapses.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject:

DeMarcus Cousins not playing defense LITERALLY

Look to the left of the play.

And you wonder why they were losing by 19 points.
Reilec142002
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject:

Dont even compare Kobe to Cousins mentally. Come on...

And Cousins may be a top 2 center in the NBA...but that doesnt really mean anything. The difference between the #1 Center (Anthony Davis) and whoever is #2 is ENORMOUS.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jwbrown77 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
How would folks react to a deal of Randle/Young/Kelly for Cousins? You would end up with enough cap room to sign Aldridge.

I'd prefer to keep Randle but you have to admit a starting unit of Russell, Clarkson, Bryant, Aldridge and Boogie is a strong playoff contender.

I'd do that, and I have high hopes for Randle and serious questions about Cousins' attitude.

Of course Sacramento wouldn't begin to listen to that.

Here's my two cents, and my best attempt to read between the lines here. Sorry if this is too long for some people or too rambling LOL...

The Lakers are not trading Russell. They think his upside is sky high and think he can be a perfect facilitator to whomever our eventual go-to scorer will be, plus he can shoot it himself. He's not going anywhere.

I think the Lakers also want to keep Clarkson, because they see he and Russell as perfect compliments to each other, with both having ideal 6'5 size.

Randle, though, I think could be in play if a deal were to go down. They have REALLY talked him up, almost like they are trying to get the Kings to see him as a real prize. I think the Lakers would trade Randle in a deal that would net them Cousins, especially if they could also keep Clarkson along with Russell. I think that the Lakers' play here would be to sign either Aldridge or Love to play the 4 and then acquire Cousins to play the 5.

I'm certain, however, that just Randle wouldn't be enough from Sac-town's perspective, and I agree with that stance. He might be a malcontent there, but he's got 3 years left on his deal, and I'm sure that if they shopped Cousins around the league, they could get more value than just Randle. That's why I've always thought that it would be most feasible to do a 3-team trade, if this ever went down. The Kings would have to get more than just Randle, and Karl wants to compete, so that means a team with a solid veteran that would help the Kings needs to head there. To me, Denver makes all the sense in the world, with Ty Lawson going back to the Kings. We know that Karl and Lawson are comfortable with each other, Lawson already said "I'm going to Sacramento" right after Mudiay was drafted, so it's not hard to see the possible connection there. The money matches up almost equally from the Kings' perspective; Cousins' $15.9MM goes out, and Lawson's $12.4MM and Randle's $3.1MM comes in.

The Lakers, Denver, and Sac-town could execute it as a 3-team trade and announce the trade after free agency is concluded. This allows the Lakers to take back Cousins as an over-the-cap team at that point, so long as the Lakers had at least $10.9MM worth of contracts outgoing in the transaction (I think you have to stay within $5MM). We would have to get Nick Young, Kelly, and Randle outgoing for sure, and they total ($5.2 for Young, $3.1 for Randle, $1.7 for Kelly) just about $10MM. That still leaves you about 900K short, but that wouldn't be difficult to add. You could choose not to waive Sacre before June 30 (at which point his contract becomes fully guaranteed), and then send his contract out. Or you could send Nance out as well. We could also send future 2nd round picks to Denver. (And if you had part with Anthony Brown as a part of that, you don't let that hold up a deal). I'd even be OK with sending out our 2020 first rounder to either Denver or Sac-town, most likely Sac-town since they are giving up the best player in the deal and since Lawson is basically a salary dump in Denver's eyes (2020 is the first year we can trade a first rounder), provided that we get top 10 protection this time.

So Denver would have Ty Lawson outgoing, which would be a blessing for them in getting rid of his salary, and they drafted his replacement in Mudiay anyway. The only downside for them is that they have to take back Nick Young, but at least he makes substantially less than Lawson does, and Kelly is just fodder to make the salaries work, although perhaps they think they can get something out of him. They pick up future draft picks as well. I view Denver as a clear team that will be tanking this season, and I wouldn't be surprised if they try to move Faried too in a separate deal to clear more money. So, to recap:

Lakers
In: Cousins
Out: Randle, Young, Kelly, Sacre/Nance, 2 second round picks, possible 2020 first round pick (top 10 protected)

Kings
In: Lawson, Randle, possible 2020 Lakers' first round pick (top 10 protected)
Out: Cousins

Nuggets
In: Young, Kelly, Sacre/Nance, 2 second round picks
Out: Lawson

Just to take this a step further, I could see Sacramento also having interest in taking back Faried, if they could get Denver to absorb a couple more contracts that would be expiring much sooner than Faried's. Faried is due $11.2MM next season, so if the Kings absorbed that, that would mean that they would have $26.7MM coming in (Randle, Lawson, Faried). So they would have to send out at least $21.7MM, and with Cousins at $15.9, they would have to send out $5.8MM more. Denver would be left with just Mudiay at PG as a viable option once they traded Lawson, so it could make sense for Denver to take back Darren Collison, who makes $5MM this season (and then $5.2MM next season before his contract expires). So Sacramento would need to send to Denver basically one more contract of extremely cheap value, and that shouldn't be an issue (Ray McCallum's 947K non-guaranteed contract would be perfect). In this idea, with the Kings getting 3 quality players back for Cousins, perhaps the Nuggets should now get the Lakers' 2020 first rounder. So they would be lowering their salary commitments, both in dollars and in years, and picking up 2 second rounders and a 2020 first rounder. This would change the trade to:

Lakers In: Cousins ($15.9MM)
Lakers Out: Randle, Young, Kelly, Sacre/Nance, 2 second round picks, possible 2020 first rounder (at least $11MM)

Kings In: Lawson, Faried, Randle ($26.7MM)
Kings Out: Cousins, Collison, McCallum ($21.8MM)

Nuggets In: Collison, Young, Kelly, Sacre/Nance, McCallum, 2 second round picks, possible Lakers 2020 first rounder (about $13.9MM)
Nuggets Out: Lawson, Faried ($23.6MM)

By the way, both of these trades work within the rules. In either scenario, the Lakers would be sending out $11MM or so, and teams with $9.8 to $19.6MM in outgoing salary are allowed to take back that same amount ($11MM) plus another $5MM. In the first scenario, the Kings' outgoing and incoming is almost identical, and in the second one, they would have more than $19.6MM outgoing ($21.8MM), which allows a team to take back 125% of the outgoing amount plus another 100K. That would allow them to take back as much as $27,350,000, and $26.7MM comes in under that. And in both cases, the Nuggets are allowed to take back less salary. Larry Coon's NBA Salary Cap FAQ page was my source here, Question #84...
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q84

If we trade for Cousins and the trade ends up as a 3-way deal with Denver and it's close to this framework, I want mad props LOL. Oh, and please don't quote train this post. I can already see the mods' anger!

I'd have call Stern myself to get that vetoed
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject:

After July 1st. This will be back in action.
Darkndeep
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu - I agree with a lot you have to say. I especially have the same impression that the Lakers are talking Randle up for a trade for Cousins. This, the fact that it is probably more likely that they can get a quality PF in free agency than a quality center, and seemed to reach for a PF on their second pick (as a backup in case they can't?), suggests to me that Randle is expendable. Certainly, the way the Lakers, Sacramento and Denver drafted gave me no reason to believe that the rumored three-way is dead. Lawson's comment was just the icing on the cake.
Kirby Brian
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject:

awww yess

Quote:

The Lakers would reportedly be more than willing to include D'Angelo Russell in a deal that would net them DeMarcus Cousins.

In order for this to happen, the Kings would have to be willing to deal Cousins, and all reports from Sacramento's side are that the team has absolutely no interest in trading DeMarcus. At the moment, Cousins landing in Los Angeles seems like a very unlikely scenario.

Source: Los Angeles Daily News

Jun 28 - 2:25 PM
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject:

Reilec142002 wrote:
Dont even compare Kobe to Cousins mentally. Come on...

And Cousins may be a top 2 center in the NBA...but that doesnt really mean anything. The difference between the #1 Center (Anthony Davis) and whoever is #2 is ENORMOUS.

Check out this vid of kobes defense

Davis plays pf. I actually think the only other center on cousins level is marc.

Cousins in usa basketball was not a headcase. Probably because he was in a stable and serious environment not the joke that is the kings. Artest, rodman, rasheed. All loose canons with chips.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject:

KobeMania wrote:
awww yess

Quote:

The Lakers would reportedly be more than willing to include D'Angelo Russell in a deal that would net them DeMarcus Cousins.

In order for this to happen, the Kings would have to be willing to deal Cousins, and all reports from Sacramento's side are that the team has absolutely no interest in trading DeMarcus. At the moment, Cousins landing in Los Angeles seems like a very unlikely scenario.

Source: Los Angeles Daily News

Jun 28 - 2:25 PM

Stupid
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers’ No. 2 pick which became Russell, Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson, and more future picks.

That is what the Kings wanted, and thats why it never got done.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject:

M2K wrote:

Interesting, the one guy Mitch has said he wouldn't trade.
THE_DAGGER
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject:

This thread needs to be moved back to the Lounge. It's still relevant to us. We have the Wade thread, Jimmy Butler thread, and Jeremy Lin thread still in the Lounge but not this.
THE_DAGGER
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
The Lakers’ No. 2 pick which became Russell, Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson, and more future picks.

That is what the Kings wanted, and thats why it never got done.

Of course they're going to ask for Heaven and Earth. That's what you do in negotiations. At the end you settle for Heaven OR Earth.
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject:

THE_DAGGER wrote:
This thread needs to be moved back to the Lounge. It's still relevant to us. We have the Wade thread, Jimmy Butler thread, and Jeremy Lin thread still in the Lounge but not this.

I know. This has a way better chance of going down than Butler ever coming to the Lakers.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject:

No thank you. Let's see what Randle can do rather than throwing him away on Cousins just to get a deal done quickly before we can even see what kind of player Julius is.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:17 am    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
THE_DAGGER wrote:

I know. This has a way better chance of going down than Butler ever coming to the Lakers.

Totally agree. I didn't agree with it being moved in the first place and so many clamoring for it to be locked just because the constant thought of getting cousins made them uncomfortable. The rumors surrounding cousins are not any different than those of jimmy butler thread or wade, in fact even more realistic.
vakobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:30 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
The ONLY deal that makes sense right now is Randle, Nick Young, Ryan Kelly and a future #1. The combined salaries going out would be about $10M. Bringing in Cousins' $14.7M will only reduce our $22.3M space to $17.6M.

The backcourt for the Lakers is SET with Kobe, Russell, and Clarkson.

Getting Cousins will SET the Center spot.

Then in FA with about $17.6 Million to spend, the Lakers can easily get Love or LMA. I am sure neither will make $500k - $1M the breaking point if they can opt out in a year or two.

That my friend is an A+ offseason KRL special re-loaded!

PF - LOVE or LMA
F - Kobe
C - Cousins
G - Clarkson
PG - Russell

Yeah, that deal makes sense ONLY for the Lakers.
vakobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject:

Aphex Twin wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
All the reports say we were unwilling to deal Randle. Then Mitch says the #2 pick wasn't in play (if we take him at his word). So it appears that all Mitch was offering was Clarkson, a draft pick or two, and some magic fairy dust for DMC. Basically, he was trying to make the Pau trade all over again, trying to take advantage of a dysfunctional front office, and that's exactly how it should be. Props to Vlade for not folding, seems like Mitch can be awfully persuasive.

Don't think I've ever had more confidence in our regime. They're doing exactly what they should be doing.

Which is why the #2 + Randle stuff was laughable. Kupchak has been doing this for like 15 years. Have people not been paying attention?

#Neverforget

Man I watch that video every year

I have that speech memorized

The Lakers lost MARC GASOL in that deal!

I would only trade for DMC if it doesn't involve Kobe, Randle, Russell, Clarkson, or any 1st-round picks.

You wouldn't trade Kobe, who is on his last legs and probably his last year, for a 24-year-old stud center? If the Kings were crazy enough to do it, I would jump all over it.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject:

vakobe wrote:
Aphex Twin wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
All the reports say we were unwilling to deal Randle. Then Mitch says the #2 pick wasn't in play (if we take him at his word). So it appears that all Mitch was offering was Clarkson, a draft pick or two, and some magic fairy dust for DMC. Basically, he was trying to make the Pau trade all over again, trying to take advantage of a dysfunctional front office, and that's exactly how it should be. Props to Vlade for not folding, seems like Mitch can be awfully persuasive.

Don't think I've ever had more confidence in our regime. They're doing exactly what they should be doing.

Which is why the #2 + Randle stuff was laughable. Kupchak has been doing this for like 15 years. Have people not been paying attention?

#Neverforget

Man I watch that video every year

I have that speech memorized

The Lakers lost MARC GASOL in that deal!

I would only trade for DMC if it doesn't involve Kobe, Randle, Russell, Clarkson, or any 1st-round picks.

You wouldn't trade Kobe, who is on his last legs and probably his last year, for a 24-year-old stud center? If the Kings were crazy enough to do it, I would jump all over it.

Kobe has a no trade clause so it's pointless to hypothesize.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 183, 184, 185 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 184 of 194
Jump to: