Would you trade the #2 pick for Cousins
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you give Sacramento the #2 pick for DeMarcus Cousins
YES
32%
 32%  [ 13 ]
NO
65%
 65%  [ 26 ]
OTHER
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 40

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Would you trade the #2 pick for Cousins

There've been discussions on sports shows, Mike & Mike and First Take this morning about giving the 2nd pick to Sacremento for DeMarcus Cousins.They've discussed the pros and cons.

He's only 24 and he can play. His drawback is his attitude. Some say if he spends a year with Kobe, he may be able to turn Cousins around.

His attitude and pass considered, I wouldn't take the chance.

If he had the right attitude and work ethic I'd take the chance. I'd give him a max. I think he's one of the few big men on the market worth it.

Discuss.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:14 am; edited 4 times in total
thehotsung8701A
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Would you give the #2 pick for Okafor

jodeke wrote:
There's been discussions on sports shows, Mike & Mike and First Take this morning about giving the 2nd pick to Sacremento for DeMarcus Cousins.They've discussed the pros and cons.

He's only 24 and he can play. His drawback is his attitude. Some say if he spends a year with Kobe, he may be able to turn Cousins around.

His attitude and pass considered, I wouldn't take the chance.

If he had the right attitude and work ethic I'd take the chance. I'd give him a max. I think he's one of the few big men on the market worth it.

Discuss.

He by far the best center in a league, but that not saying much since this era lack so many good big man.

Okafor could turn out to be just as good or better than Cousin so I don't really know. Mitch hasn't let me down yet.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject:

If all they want is the #2 pick, in a heartbeat. And I hate Cousins btw.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject:

It's more like the #2 pick PLUS the cap space we could have used on a max player.

Okafor and max player > Cousins

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
It's more like the #2 pick PLUS the cap space we could have used on a max player.

True, its about $10.5 million in cap space.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Maybe if the Kings take Nick Young's contract off our hands.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Maybe if the Kings take Nick Young's contract off our hands.

My first thought after hearing about any trade is, how can we include Nick Young in this deal.
LakerChampionTradition
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't make financial sense. You're getting a quality player for 4 million with the #2 pick. Use that extra cap money better.
LakerChampionTradition
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Think how inexpensive Okafor, Randle and Clarkson are. Lakers have 23 million to spend this summer and another 25 million to spend next summer. And probably another 25 the following summer with the tv deal. Time to build a deep quality team and let the young nucleus develop.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject:

There's a typo in the thread title. You said Okafor instead of Cousins.

Yes I would. Cousins has a higher ceiling than Okafor.
Mostly due to athleticism.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Okafor could be an elite player. Cousins is an elite player. Cap space is worth a lot more when you have a good prospect of making the playoffs next year instead of in a few years.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Fantastic offensive talent. I don't have any idea on defense personally though. I have seen him quit on D in highlowlights. Attitude and production have improved, and no one today can do what he does for his size. Attitude is the reason for no for me, in spite of his allNBA talent level. You have to be able to rely on someone in the long term and multiyear $ outlay, and if no to Dwight, no to Cousins.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject:

We don't need to trade the #2 pick to get Okafor. We can just keep the pick and draft him.
ILoveLA WeLoveIT
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject:

Cousins for only the 2nd pick? Any NBA gm would do it. Come on now. Coach Karl actually wants Faried, Lawson, and W. Chandler for Cousins. They'd probably ask for future picks to go along with that package as well.

So you're saying if our team had Cousins right now, you would trade him for this year's 2nd pick?!
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject:

Cousins is great but I don't really want to give up the No. 2 pick and cap space to get him. We aren't one guy away from the playoffs–much less a championship–and Cousins isn't one of those guys that changes your franchise on his own. I'd rather take Okafor and make a run at Aldridge.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject:

they said kobe could turn dwight around too..just sayin..
ILoveLA WeLoveIT
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Cousins is great but I don't really want to give up the No. 2 pick and cap space to get him. We aren't one guy away from the playoffs–much less a championship–and Cousins isn't one of those guys that changes your franchise on his own. I'd rather take Okafor and make a run at Aldridge.

Cousins is only 24. Having him on our team will attract other star FA's in the future. If Aldridge leaves Portland, he'd probably do it to join a more formidable roster/team. He's turning 30 and wants to win. Leaving Lillard and co. to join us makes no sense whatsoever.
ILoveLA WeLoveIT
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject:

You can have all the cap space in the world but no one to use it on. There aren't that many star players in the league who suddenly become available. Plus you still have to outbid other teams who might probably have a better and more tempting roster/supporting cast than we have. Cousins is young and that 4 years he still has on his contract is a bargain for a star center!

2014-15 - $13.7M
2015-16 - $14.7M
2016-17 - $15.7M
2017-18 - $16.7M

Okafor is an unknown commodity in the NBA. He can be a bust, a solid role player, or at best, be as good as Cousins. Plus, DMC hasn't even reached his prime yet. Last season's averages.. 24.1ppg, 12.7rpg, 1.7bpg, 1.5spg
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject:

The way I see it this is a win now or win later decision. Trade for Cousins if you want a sure thing and want to win now....keep #2 pick if you want to build for the future. Don't forget that by keeping the pick you are gambling that player will succeed in the NBA, its not always a given.
ILoveLA WeLoveIT
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
The way I see it this is a win now or win later decision. Trade for Cousins if you want a sure thing and want to win now....keep #2 pick if you want to build for the future. Don't forget that by keeping the pick you are gambling that player will succeed in the NBA, its not always a given.

Cousins is only 24 years old. You can build around him now and in the future.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
There's a typo in the thread title. You said Okafor instead of Cousins.

Yes I would. Cousins has a higher ceiling than Okafor.
Mostly due to athleticism.

Thanks kik I did a edit.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject:

ILoveLA WeLoveIT wrote:
KBH wrote:

Cousins is only 24. Having him on our team will attract other star FA's in the future. If Aldridge leaves Portland, he'd probably do it to join a more formidable roster/team. He's turning 30 and wants to win. Leaving Lillard and co. to join us makes no sense whatsoever.

I threw out Aldridge as an example. My point is I don't think Cousins, old man Kobe and Swaggy P winning us 30 games next season is necessarily going to attract anyone. If we had a base of talent in place like Cleveland making the Love trade (Kyrie, Lebron) or the Celtics in 2008 (Pierce in prime) then by all means, get Cousins. But we need everything right now. Trading the pick (and Cousins would require more than just the no. 2 pick to nab anyway) for Cousins is essentially giving up two assets in the pick and cap room for one guy who won't change the world on his own. And who also lead the Kings to just 29 wins last season while playing with Rudy Gay and Darren Collison.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:
they said kobe could turn dwight around too..just sayin..

Good point.

Been mulling the trade number #2 pick thought.

I'd give Okafor a try. He may turn into a outstanding player. All drafts are a crap shoot. He and Towns have as good or better chances of making the grade than a good percent of number 1 & 2 players taken in the first round.

Oakafor, Randall, money for quality FA, cap space, Kobe leaving or taking a reduced salary, I lean toward leaving 2017, we'll be competitive next season, 2017 looks like we're back.

My only angst is, will Jim mess it up? From a fans point of view we're in pretty good shape. Let's give Jim's three year window a chance.

This is slightly different than the poll asking which would you prefer? This is about a draft pick. That pick could be Okafor or Towns

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Deleted by self. Double post

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
ILoveLA WeLoveIT
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
ILoveLA WeLoveIT wrote:
KBH wrote:

I threw out Aldridge as an example. My point is I don't think Cousins, old man Kobe and Swaggy P winning us 30 games next season is necessarily going to attract anyone. If we had a base of talent in place like Cleveland making the Love trade (Kyrie, Lebron) or the Celtics in 2008 (Pierce in prime) then by all means, get Cousins. But we need everything right now. Trading the pick (and Cousins would require more than just the no. 2 pick to nab anyway) for Cousins is essentially giving up two assets in the pick and cap room for one guy who won't change the world on his own. And who also lead the Kings to just 29 wins last season while playing with Rudy Gay and Darren Collison.

Sacramento offers Cousins for our 2nd pick, will you accept or reject?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: