Windows 10
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Windows 10

So who else is previewing Windows 10? I'm about 2 months in, and have got to say that it's been developing quite nicely. The development team has been surprisingly responsive to the suggestions for changes. They've done a good job of hybriding Windows 7 & Windows 8 together. The new Task View is VERY useful. They've still a few kinks to work out in the File Manager before the July intro, but all-n-all, Win10 is solid.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject:

I haven't installed it anywhere yet. I've just mainly looked at videos and read articles.

I like how MS is taking feedback so seriously now.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject:

I fired it up in a VM on my desktop. I like the flow it has. I didn't throw too many resources at it, so I can't speak to real-world performance. I really like the Cortana integration.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject:

I got a message in my Taskbar a few weeks ago for the free download. I registered for it, but haven't received anything yet. Glad to hear positive things about it so far tho, makes me less hesitant to go forward with the update.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
I fired it up in a VM on my desktop. I like the flow it has. I didn't throw too many resources at it, so I can't speak to real-world performance. I really like the Cortana integration.

Having already used Cortana in the Phone environment, I knew it would be a welcome addition. What's surprised me is the nice text based non verbal integration of Cortana as well as Cortana's app integration. It just works as seamlessly as you'd want it to. I had been prepared to stick with Win 7 , but now the upgrade is a no brainer. Yesterday I just lost the fan on the laptop I have it installed on, and have been using another laptop with Win 7 today whilst I await delivery of a new fan, and it already feels like a step back in time. They've done a solid job.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
I got a message in my Taskbar a few weeks ago for the free download. I registered for it, but haven't received anything yet. Glad to hear positive things about it so far tho, makes me less hesitant to go forward with the update.

Yeah, it won't upgrade for you until July 29th-30th. If you've a MSA (Microsoft Account), then it'll upgrade for you automatically if you wish. Just leave your computer up and connected the night of July 29th. The upgrade will be delivered via a "torrent like" swarm so the download won't take forever.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

Yeah, it won't upgrade for you until July 29th-30th. If you've a MSA (Microsoft Account), then it'll upgrade for you automatically if you wish. Just leave your computer up and connected the night of July 29th. The upgrade will be delivered via a "torrent like" swarm so the download won't take forever.

Cool. Thanks
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject:

How do you like the Edge browser?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
How do you like the Edge browser?

Honestly, I can't really give a worthy assessment since I've used it so little. They've done a good job of stripping everything that isn't essential from the screen, so the name "Edge" does have merit since everything is displayed to the edge of the screen. Folks who normally use Internet Explorer are likely to enjoy it much more than a Firefox user like myself. The Edge Browser has it's own "Extensions" store, and right now it's predictably sparse. I assume that they'll be merging it with the current Internet Explorer "Extensions" store, and then you can load it up with add-ons to your preference. But as a loyal FireFoxer for the better part of the past decade, I fall into the category of "Creature of Habit", and didn't really give the Edge Browser a fair chance. Every since Firefox included the Sync relationship as a standard operational part of the browser, it's just too easy to keep using it since anytime you get on a new machine, everything is already setup for you. I know the other browsers now do the same, but I've chosen the path of least resistance. And Microsoft has obviously finally understood the value in that ease of transition,since they've now done the same thing with MAC's (Microsoft Accounts). When you log into Windows 10 for the first time, all of your email, and various accounts will be automatically synced and you can start using the system picking up where you left off from in your Windows 7, or Windows 8. Not having to go through any setup will leave a good taste in the mouths of most new Win10 users and that'll in turn give them that important great initial first impression of the operating system. The Redmond boys can be slow to catch on at times, but when they finally do, they generally get it right. Win 7 & Win 10 are basically Microsofts "De-Ballmering". Vista was a Ballmer Force Feed, as was Win-8.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject:

I signed up for this a while ago. Is it ready?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
I signed up for this a while ago. Is it ready?

It officially releases on July 29th. Everyone with a MAC (Microsoft Account) has already received an email designating that they've been reserved. If you want to have the most seamless transition, then make sure your MAC is active, which it sounds like your is. Unlike other operating system upgrades, if you have an active MAC from an activated Win 7 or Win 8, the upgrade will occur just like a normal Windows Update. So whatever your current "Update" settings are set to, is how you'll receive the operating system upgrade (ie, set up to prompt for download, or download but not install with confirmation, or fully automatic download and installation) So if you're currently getting your updates in full automatic mode, then when you jump on your computer on July 30th or 31st, your system will have been upgraded to Win 10. If you have a reason not to desire the upgrade, then CHANGE your UPDATE preferences from Automatic to one of the 2 other choices.

If you want to start using it now (and it's basically 95% completed) you can still signup for an "Insider" account and then link that to your MAC and immediately download the most recent Win10 Release Candidate ISO and start getting use to it right away. The benefit to doing it that way is that you'll automatically be upgraded to Win10 Official release on July 29th and a Full Copy Win10 iso file will be saved to your computer. Those who don't migrate via the insider won't get an actually copy of the ISO, but will just be upgraded. I won't get into the why's, but there is value in having the actual ISO to save to DVD.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject:

On my Windows Update, it says I'm ready for Windows 10 or something. Does it mean I get it for free or whatever?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
On my Windows Update, it says I'm ready for Windows 10 or something. Does it mean I get it for free or whatever?

Yes. It's free to all activated Win 7 and Win 8 users. If you've received that message, then it means your MAC account is active and you're ready for the upgrade. If you're setup for Automatic Updates, then the system will upgrade itself without any input from you on the night of July 29th, or July 30th as long as your computer is turned on and connected to the internet.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject:

I'm not doing the switch - I'll probably try it out on a VM.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

I got this too. I thought it was another notification to put my name on the list, but maybe it was the actual notice that the OS was ready. As well as I can recall it was the exact same notification I got which asked me to sign up the first time.

I am having trouble with my surface pen as of today, so I don't want to install W10 yet.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Yes. It's free to all activated Win 7 and Win 8 users. If you've received that message, then it means your MAC account is active and you're ready for the upgrade. If you're setup for Automatic Updates, then the system will upgrade itself without any input from you on the night of July 29th, or July 30th as long as your computer is turned on and connected to the internet.

So if Iu have a CDkey for Windows 8, can I grab a fresh Win 10 install and use that then? I'm really anal about fresh formats and I back up religiously so it's a pretty pain free process for me.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I got this too. I thought it was another notification to put my name on the list, but maybe it was the actual notice that the OS was ready. As well as I can recall it was the exact same notification I got which asked me to sign up the first time.

I am having trouble with my surface pen as of today, so I don't want to install W10 yet.
Windows 10 isn't officially released yet.

July 29
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

So if Iu have a CDkey for Windows 8, can I grab a fresh Win 10 install and use that then? I'm really anal about fresh formats and I back up religiously so it's a pretty pain free process for me.

At first you have to upgrade from your current Windows version.

After you've done that you could reset and do a clean install.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Microsoft released another build update last night and pretty much fixed all of the bugs I';d personally encountered, as well as changed the the way the
Start Button Displays as well as a complete revamp of the Logon screen - hitting a home run with both. Not that there was anything wrong with what they had been doing, but the new layouts are definitely superior, especially the changes to the Start Button sub menus. Prior the "Power Features" & "Apps Tree" had been combined into the same function space, but now they are separated, and there is a noticeable difference in the speed that you can intuitively managed both process sets. The end result is that it leaves a more manageable space for the "Metro" Tiles should one prefer to navigate app in that manner as opposed to the Alpha list.

They also updated the Edge Browser, and the small formatting changes were enough to get me to spend some time playing with it (Did all of today's browsing with it) and it really is a good browser. I used the page notation tool for the first time and it really is handy. A feature that will no doubt be copied onto other browser platforms.

Now I'm just down to one complaint really, the way the "Quick Access" function works in the revamped File Manager. It's been so annoying that I've just stopped using it all together and leave that tree unexpanded. They need to figure out a way to better combine the Quick Access functions with the Libraries. As it stands now, there is simply too much going on and navigating file trees is NOT seamless. Overall the file manager is better, but if it takes more time to navigate, it's going to be a common complaint by many - with a lot of folks seeking out a 3rd party alternative. So hoping they iron out the wrinkles in that in the coming weeks prior to release.

They also released brand new phone companion which automatically setups sync profiles for each of the 3 major platforms (Android, Iphone, & Windows Phone) Now you can easily manage syncs in the manner you most prefer, be it through the Companion, or simply drag and drop or Copy/Paste with the file manager. No word yet on if they'll build wireless sync directly into the companion or not. Of course that's easily accomplished with 3rd party apps, but it would be nice for it to be a native function.

The good news is system stability has been rock solid. Not a single crash nor freeze, and stopping runaway processes is a lot more under your control.
Laker_lover
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject:

I am not sold on Windows 10. Its like Microsoft is pushing towards iOS
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

So I have to do a reset and have it done like that? I can't dban my drive and burn Win10 onto a disk?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

So I have to do a reset and have it done like that? I can't dban my drive and burn Win10 onto a disk?

Unfortunately, the only way to burn a disc is AFTER you've upgraded. There will be no Win10 discs available for download at introduction, and since the upgrade process will be handled as a cloud based background process delivered in 'torrent like' fashion, there won't be a complete copy of files until the actual upgrade process has been initiated. I suppose if you're a capable coder, you could stop the upgrade process after the 'file copy stage', then code a custom install program to collate all the downloaded files into a comprehensive iso, but that would require knowing all the steps of the new installation process, something that's never been published, let alone reverse engineered. Another issue would be that the device driver installation process doesn't take place until near the end of the install, and I'm uncertain just what check procedure is used by the installer to see if the installation process has been corrupted or not. So unless you're on the Microsoft Win-10 team, then I'd rate it as an impossibility to create a usable Win10 installation disc without first installing the system.

Of course you could wait a week or so after retail discs are put up for sale and the piraters have had their way. But I've been told that the malicious software removal tool is embedded in Win 10 as opposed to being offered as an individual update, so the piraters are likely going to need a bit more time than during prior iterations of the OS, and considering that the OS is being offered for free, they may not even try to pirate it for the better part of a year.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Pirates will Pirate it up at the first chance they get come on now! I been on the internet long enough to know, as soon as its possible, its going up on torrent and newgroup sites the second they figure things out. They live for this kind of stuff. They want to be known as the first person to put out the pirated copy.

Hackers have ego's like sports stars and actors lol.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Update on Edge Browser:

After deciding to give the browser a fair chance, I've been using it for the past week. There are 2 truly useful features that will be certain to appeal to users. The first is it's integration with the web assistant - Cortana. You can right click on any content on any page and press "Ask Cortana" and it will bring up relevant info on the query.

Example, someone asked earlier if Amanda Peterson had been in a specific movie. I simply highlighted their words, right clicked Ask Cortana, and then it opened a pane and provided me with her entire filmography confirming instantly that she had not been in the movie questioned. It's a really useful tool, especially we doing things like researching webchat queries.

The second useful feature are webnotes, which is basically an onchreen highlighter. You can circle a picture or word (or anything ob screen, make a note, and immediately save, forward, email, facebookit, etc. Usefull little tool that's sure to make it into other browser platforms.

I'm liking the browser enough to continue using it for at least another week.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject:

AS: Out of curiosity do you work for MS? I know you're up in that area right?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: