Love opts out

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Love opts out

STORY
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject:

Good business move by Love. I don't think he's going anywhere. He'll position himself to get as much from Gilbert as he can.

I've said in the past and stand fast with, I don't think Love's a max player. IMO he's not a player you can build around.

He was the go to players in Minnesota for 6 years, they never made the playoffs. If he goes somewhere other than Cleveland his chances of getting ring will be significantly diminished.

He stays another year. If the Cavs win a ring he may leave for money. Next season he chases the ring with James.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject:

back to Minnesota?

Love
Wiggins
who else do they have?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
back to Minnesota?

Love
Wiggins
who else do they have?

I feel for Wiggins. If the Cavs hadn't traded him they may have won the Larry O'Brien.

Side Note: Am I the only one who thinks Adam Silver walks like Robo Cop?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
improper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject:

Love was always going to opt out, regardless of whether he intended to leave or come back. Even if he comes back on a one year deal, he'd still make more money than he had opted in.

Personally, though, I think he signs a five year max deal.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Good business move by Love. I don't think he's going anywhere. He'll position himself to get as much from Gilbert as he can.

I've said in the past and stand fast with, I don't think Love's a max player. IMO he's not a player you can build around.

He was the go to players in Minnesota for 6 years, they never made the playoffs. If he goes somewhere other than Cleveland his chances of getting ring will be significantly diminished.

He stays another year. If the Cavs win a ring he may leave for money. Next season he chases the ring with James.

That is a hard call. Love of last year, not so; Love from the year prior, absolutely. Thought Minny had some injuries last year, just look at where they were two years ago compared to last year, and his on/off his last year at Minny.

Due to his age and rebounding talent, in particular, but also his ability to score from anywhere as well, I like him the best of all the available big men. His defense does scare me, so there is Jordan, also younger, but then his offense scares me here and he's only been at this new elevated level for a couple of seasons. Though he stat'ed out well, he sure didn't help the Clipps very often in the playoffs, certainly not nearly enough. There really isn't the perfect big guy, this year.

What I really want (as I would expect 99.9% of Lakers' fans) is to sign someone this year who will ask for, receive, and use a one-year opt-out, and then hope that the following year, Anthony Davis can see the natural progression:

West/Wilt--Magic/Kareem--Shaq/Kobe--Davis/Russell
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:

That is a hard call. Love of last year, not so; Love from the year prior, absolutely. Thought Minny had some injuries last year, just look at where they were two years ago compared to last year, and his on/off his last year at Minny.

Due to his age and rebounding talent, in particular, but also his ability to score from anywhere as well, I like him the best of all the available big men. His defense does scare me, so there is Jordan, also younger, but then his offense scares me here and he's only been at this new elevated level for a couple of seasons. Though he stat'ed out well, he sure didn't help the Clipps very often in the playoffs, certainly not nearly enough. There really isn't the perfect big guy, this year.

What I really want (as I would expect 99.9% of Lakers' fans) is to sign someone this year who will ask for, receive, and use a one-year opt-out, and then hope that the following year, Anthony Davis can see the natural progression:

Isn't Anthony Davis going to be restricted?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Yes, you are right. NO will be able to match in 2016/2017. So, one more year.
improper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:

So you're under the assumption that Anthony Davis will turn down a five-year max that will pay him somewhere in the range of 150 million dollars (with the cap hike coming)? I just don't see any chance of that happening. Guys just don't turn down that kind of money.

Davis is going to be a Pelican for at least the next five years, barring him demanding a trade or something, which will be unlikely given that he won't have any leverage until later in his upcoming five-year deal.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject:

^^^^^

No way he turns down that much. He hasn't had a big contract yet.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject:

improper wrote:
ribeye wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:

So you're under the assumption that Anthony Davis will turn down a five-year max that will pay him somewhere in the range of 150 million dollars (with the cap hike coming)? I just don't see any chance of that happening. Guys just don't turn down that kind of money.

Davis is going to be a Pelican for at least the next five years, barring him demanding a trade or something, which will be unlikely given that he won't have any leverage until later in his upcoming five-year deal.

Hardly an assumption. Some people wish for a red wagon or a BMW. I wish for a Davis.

Maybe the mystique of joining the storied franchise of basketball is not worth the the loss of 3% per year however it is compounded--the 5th year will come one way or another. This seems to the case more often than not. But LeBron has traveled down another path and shown it can work and I'm pretty certain LeBron has more money than he, his kids, his grandkids . . . and beyond can spend.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
improper wrote:
ribeye wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Hardly an assumption. Some people wish for a red wagon or a BMW. I wish for a Davis.

Maybe the mystique of joining the storied franchise of basketball is not worth the the loss of 3% per year compounded--plus the 5th year will come one way or another. Mo money seems to the case more often than not. But LeBron has traveled down another path and shown it can work quite well for championships, yet I'm pretty certain LeBron has more money than he, his kids, his grandkids . . . and beyond can spend.

improper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Maybe the mystique of joining the storied franchise of basketball is not worth the the loss of 3% per year however it is compounded--the 5th year will come one way or another. This seems to the case more often than not. But LeBron has traveled down another path and shown it can work and I'm pretty certain LeBron has more money than he, his kids, his grandkids . . . and beyond can spend.

And LeBron still signed an extension after his rookie deal. He just had an opt out after three years. If Davis were to do the same, that would still mean the earliest he would be a free agent is in 2019.

Remember, he still has one more year on his rookie deal and he's a restricted free agent after that, and that's assuming he doesn't come to terms on a five-year deal with the Pelicans when he's eligible for an extension in two days. Everyone said Kyrie Irving was as good as gone from the Cavs a year ago, but he agreed to his five year deal with Cleveland about ten minutes after midnight the day free agency started.
improper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject:

And Anthony Davis signs a five year contract extension.

Called that, didn't I?
improper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject:

improper wrote:
Love was always going to opt out, regardless of whether he intended to leave or come back. Even if he comes back on a one year deal, he'd still make more money than he had opted in.

Personally, though, I think he signs a five year max deal.

Nailed it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:

You would take him before LaMarcus Aldridge or DeAndre Jordan? I'm of a mind Jordan's FT % will go up next season. That's his glaring weakness.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: