OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2175, 2176, 2177 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject:

I am incredibly petty and I really want DLO to get to 16 ppg
RenoSaint
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject:

DerekFisher24 wrote:
Mdstgreen wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
my expectation is for him to drive and pick up some easy 5/6ft's in the process. Like harden/Demar

He's only begun developing his strength. If he can maintain a hefty build as he matures he'll be a handful in the lane and on post ups.

His best attribute is how good he'll be once the lakers are a playoff team. Backbreaking 3's, he knows how to cut off the ball in the halfcourt, good pick and roll player who will only get better, and his post ups will increase with age.

The postups are where he will generate many of his free throws. Then as he gets stronger in his legs and more confident he will get to the rim and FT line more.

In a halfcourt, slow it down game he will be a great asset like a Jason kidd (later years), ginobli, Chauncey Billups type that are proven winners. However, people want him to be an explosive up and down scorer which is not who he is. He would be amazing in the Spurs system.

If he plays with a guy like Lonzo Ball or another great passer he will score an extra 4ppg off cuts and he will get 2-3 more clean catch and shoot threes per game. People are really tough on this kid given the terrible circumstances he has had the past two years.

This rhetoric is crazy to me. We're watching the same kid but have completely different takes. If by explosive you mean vertically explosive I'd agree. If you mean incendiary in terms of scoring ability I think he's going to join a select few guards who can take over a game as early as next year.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

devin booker over DLO? y'all crazy.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Seems to me DLO has quietly taken some steps post all-star. Actually driving to the hoop with a purpose, knowing when to shoot and pass. He seems quicker as well. Which usually means he is thinking less and reacting more.
Golden_Emperor_24K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject:

dlo's passes were on the point last night. could've had few more assist had his teammates converted. seems like he was utlizing his crossover dribbles alot more and attacking the rim more. that's a great sight. hope he finish the season on a good note.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Saw someone ask a few pages back. Russell needs to average 18.1 ppg over the last 8 games to get to 16 ppg on the year, and 6.6 apg to get to 5.0 apg.

Ah perfect! Thanks GT.

If they let him run show like last night I can see that. Something fun to root for the final games coming up.

I think he get the requisite points, but I don't think he'll get 6.6 apg.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject:

DLO has gotten a great deal of flack and irrational hate since Day 1. Every good thing he does is overlooked or minimized; but the bad is put under a magnifying glass.

Despite this, he has, impressively, continued to improve.

One aspect of him that is never really discussed, is how much he makes other players better.

BI was struggling playing with JC/LOU; but has been improving steadily once he started starting with DLO. JC, likewise, was regressing on the bench, but he has been playing better since playing with DLO.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Now, "Byron and Luke are singing the same song." My goodness. That's not even being close to accurate.

I cape for him a lot but Luke's had a lot of Byron moments this year. He's just not an (bleep) about it - which was maybe my biggest issue with Byron, even moreso than his coaching. He couldn't get anything good to happen on the court and his players weren't thrilled about playing for him

TBH, Luke's judgment has been highly questionable this season. In fact, the more JC and DLO play together; it makes his stubborn insistence to keep them separate look all that much worse. However, Im hoping this is just rookie mistakes and not terminal Byronism.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
I agree. But I don't think people are bashing Dlo, just stating what they see. I think it's the hard core Dlo fans, similar to those Kobe first fans, who use irrelevant stats to justify their affection for the player. For example why constantly harp on per 36 stats when that's practically an artificial number. If the dude​ isn't good enough to warrant 36 mins by his coach then why reward him by projecting what he could've had. No, if he was good enough to play 36 mins he would.

lol At bringing up "irrelevant stats" when literally the only thing you're bringing to the table is the PPG stat. Since these "irrelevant" stats seem to confound you, I should mention that Per-36 isn't meant to serve as a projection of what a player will do, but to assess how productive a player is in the minutes they actually play. But you may be right that these stats are irrelevant. D'Angelo has actually outplayed his Per-36 minute stats the closer he actually gets to 36 minutes. You may be on to something here after all.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
I would not say my mind's made up about him but I am fairly confident in what I believe his maximum level will be. But I'm still open.

If he's traded this off season to get say Jimmy Butler, I won't feel sad he's gone. And if he's still here, I still won't feel sad because that means we probably got Brook and Melo and/or more instead so I'll be happy to see what he can do with them.

"I think he's a 6th man on a championship team"

"We can trade him for Jimmy Butler though"

"Oh, and Jimmy Butler + Brook Lopez + Carmelo Anthony sounds exciting"

Yeah see this is why I question your per 36 agenda. You have reading comprehension issues. No where did I say it was Jimmy/Brook/Melo. I was saying I'd be excited if it was Dlo/Brook/Melo. Maybe that wouldn't excite you but I'd be fully supportive of that, as I've posted before because we also get to keep Ingram and top 3 in my proposed scenarios.

And if you want to assume I meant Dlo straight up for Jimmy then that's fine, I'm not going to argue with you. You clearly have one vision and if others oppose it then you will chastise them for it and split words up out of context to ridicule them. So it's cool.

My "per-36 agenda".

You're correct that I read that wrong, but the Jimmy Butler part wasn't the hideous part of that trio. The point stands on Melo + Lopez.

That was part of a larger move that resulted in getting rid of Deng and Moz, so there are ancillary parts here that led to my overall excitement. And quite honestly I'd question your fanaticism towards the Lakers if you weren't happy with getting Brook and Melo while dumping Moz, Deng and keeping Dlo Ingram and top 3.

Anyways thank you for acknowledging your misread, that type of acknowledgment sadly doesn't happen on message boards frequently.

But back to Dlo, part of the reason I'm not a fan of per 36 is that the is no correlation that said player will achieve those estimates. So while it appears Dlo is capable of achieving his per 36, what about all the others who are projected with high per 36 but then never realize it when they play 36. So while Russel has achieved it in a small sample of games, there is nothing you can directly point to and say yes this is what he will achieve. In fact the only thing we can really go by is that two coaches in two years questioned his effort. That to me is one sign of immaturity and I don't know if he'll ever change that.

You'd have to question mine as well.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
I disagree. His statistical increase is post ASB. That is a small sample. Let's not forget this guy was putting up single digits and even a 0 in games earlier this year.

He put up one 0 all season and that was in 1:12 before getting injured against Indiana.

There you go with your injury agenda to protect your D'Lo fanaticism.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject:

How scrutinized and unfairly maligned he is has made him my favorite player going forward. Really rooting for him.
Might be my first jersey cop of any non-Kobe player
Hope he's a couple time allstar man, just to rub it in people's faces
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Now, "Byron and Luke are singing the same song." My goodness. That's not even being close to accurate.

I cape for him a lot but Luke's had a lot of Byron moments this year. He's just not an (bleep) about it - which was maybe my biggest issue with Byron, even moreso than his coaching. He couldn't get anything good to happen on the court and his players weren't thrilled about playing for him

TBH, Luke's judgment has been highly questionable this season. In fact, the more JC and DLO play together; it makes his stubborn insistence to keep them separate look all that much worse. However, Im hoping this is just rookie mistakes and not terminal Byronism.

They've been disastrous all season on defense, barring the last two games, so there's a legit coaching reason to keep them apart. You can argue that's a function of the lineups where they played together (lots of small ball), but there isn't any demonstrable evidence that they do function well together either.

The only real issue I have is that he should have started Clarkson as soon as we decided to tank, i.e. when we benched Deng and Mozgov.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Fastbreak32 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
List of guards 22 or younger, with a PER of 15 or higher:

1. Russell (21): 16.08

Meanwhile, the All Eye Test Team:

Lavine (22): 14.78
Booker (20): 14.28
Smart (23): 11.86
Mudiay (21): 10.28
Exum (21): 9.21
Dunn (23): 8.57

And with maybe the exception of Booker, no one could argue Russell has superior teammates to anyone on that Eye Test team.

And Dunn was marketed as the guy ready to make an immediate impact.

Remember when Jayson Wlliams suggested we trade D'Lo for Okafor on draft night and draft Dunn to replace him? We'd be in excellent shape right now. The D'Lo detractors would have thrown a party but would be the same folks decrying the Lakers fall from grace and lack of patience.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
I am incredibly petty and I really want DLO to get to 16 ppg

Same here. I want him to get to 16 and 5 because those stats are more relevant, and thus valid, to many people.
dumpaling
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject:

I think Dlo will start getting to the line more next year, simply because it will be his 3rd year and I think the refs will start to respect him more.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:

I just don't get the hate on DLo, like, at all. He is playing the most difficult position for a young player to learn, and has his minutes and role yanked around by both of his coaches.

I'll admit, he had me really nervous midway through this season. But I'm seeing now that a lot of it is being forced in to a role that wasn't right for him. Primary distributor.

I always knew he was a combo guard but it's clear to me now that if you position him to score first, and pass when the situation calls for it, that he is going to be a 20+ PPG 6 ast combo guard with the rare ability to get white hot and take over a game for extended stretches.

We all complained about DLos rotations and look what has happened when they stopped doing what we hated.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
I disagree. His statistical increase is post ASB. That is a small sample. Let's not forget this guy was putting up single digits and even a 0 in games earlier this year.

You brought up him scoring 0 points early this year without any context as to why.

The hater agenda is strong in this one.

Quote:
Russell leaves game vs Pacers with Knee Injury in the 1st quarter:

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/dangelo-russell-leaves-game-vs-pacers-with-knee-injury-012017

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
crucifixion wrote:

You brought up him scoring 0 points early this year without any context as to why.

Russell leaves game vs Pacers with Knee Injury in the 1st quarter: https://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/dangelo-russell-leaves-game-vs-pacers-with-knee-injury-012017

Yeah. I do wonder if the goal was to try and get one past folks to suit the agenda, or, if he was honestly just scrolling through game logs to find something worth using as evidence.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Magic working with Russell is going to make him a beast next year
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Russell looks like a bonafide star post asb. His around the screen use your backside as a shield last year fell on weak legs so he couldn't get lift. That shot looks pretty good right now and is one of my favorite moves of his.

It also looks like he has more strength to get to the basket. Whereas last year he would make a move and then get pushed off his spot it looks like he has more agility to get past quick defenders and strength to not get pushed around by stronger ones. That is going to be huge because he does have nifty finishes around basket with augmented efficacy given the credible threat posed by the aforementioned shot. With the fact that court vision was probably the only real strength he had last year, adding those two weapons to his repotoire makes him a real triple threat offensively.

I dunno. Somebody may have some advanced stats to prove or disprove my points. All I really got is the old eye test but I do like whet I see from dlo.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
crucifixion wrote:

Russell leaves game vs Pacers with Knee Injury in the 1st quarter: https://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/dangelo-russell-leaves-game-vs-pacers-with-knee-injury-012017

Yeah. I do wonder if the goal was to try and get one past folks to suit the agenda, or, if he was honestly just scrolling through game logs to find something worth using as evidence.

Either way, it's disingenuous and transparent.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
Magic working with Russell is going to make him a beast next year

How so?
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
crucifixion wrote:

Either way, it's disingenuous and transparent.

You guys don't remember DLo's 0 point game? It was when he was benched for Ronnie Price
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait till we trade DBust for HOF Carmelo !!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2175, 2176, 2177 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next
Page 2176 of 2856
Jump to: