OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2178, 2179, 2180 ... 2870, 2871, 2872  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
nash wrote:
Golden_Emperor_24K wrote:
dlo's passes were on the point last night. could've had few more assist had his teammates converted. seems like he was utlizing his crossover dribbles alot more and attacking the rim more. that's a great sight. hope he finish the season on a good note.

I would like to see him playing this way too. I never bought the concept that a PG can stay on the perimeter without attacking the defense. You can't stay the whole game waiting for someone getting free behind a screen or using one yourself to shoot it. I couldn't watch the first three quarters and he didn't play particularly well the 4th, but I like what I saw in the highlights. A bit of unpredictability is a must.

Go back and watch it if you can. You missed the best 3 quarters of his career.

The highlights were great, I loved the way he went after Wall.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
nash wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
nash wrote:

There is no question Russell is one of the best guards from past few seasons, but we have to be aware that there aren't guards 23 and under helping their teams to win more games. I mean, Russell, Mudiay, Booker, Dunn, LaVine ... it is not about "blow by speed", the lack of athleticism is one of Dlo's shortcomings, but all those young guards have their flaws. LaVine missing something between his ears, Dunn can't shoot, Booker is one dimensional and just like Dlo is not efficient and Mudiay at this point "is a flaw". Dough Christie was the best guard from Shaq class. I'm not comparing him to Dlo, I'm just trying to say we have to talk about Dlo based on his good production post all star, not comparing him to underwhelming high draft picks. There is really not a guard you look and tell he is going to be an all star since Lillard.

I like the way Dlo is playing and his stats are pretty good, that should be enough.

Just dripping with venom.

This is why I tell good is not good enough for passionate Dlo's supporters where anything shy of greatness is percieved as venom. The guy is good, period, when you bring the other guards from past few seasons it becomes clear that it doesn't makes sense telling he is the best guard in years since no player from this period is a difference maker at this point. GT uses the term crazy talk at Imgram's thread, Dlo is playing really well, but there are some crazy talk going on here too. If you think Mudiay, Dunn, Booker and LaVine is a good crop of guards then I understand your indignation, but if you like me think there is not going to be the next Stephen Curry among them you are going to see I just have my feet on the ground.

I think it's more that even when you praise him, it comes off as backhanded. It's not your opinion that people are complaining about, but rather the way you present it. In fact, I actually think your opinion of him is mostly in line with many of the posters here. Though personally I didn't have a problem with your original post.

Tox it is my critical way to speak about everything, I'm on team Ingram since day one and you can find me using a lot of harsh words talking about his shortcomings. I really like the way Dlo is playing and I'm happy the coaching staff is willing to play him of the ball too. Telling his lack of athleticism is not a problem is insane, Dlo with athleticism is a superstar. I'm not telling he can't be one, but it is tougher for him than it is for players with better physical tools. By the way, I've never compared him to Doug Christie, it is about the situation because comparing him to guards from last 3 classes is like telling Christie was the best guard from Shaquille class.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
There's a bit of the "not my president" phenomenon going on here with DLO.

A vocal group wanted Okafor...so when we drafted DLO. "Not my president."

Then went to Mudiay, then Porky, and inexplicably now it's Booker. But DLO is "not my president."

I understand whoever prefers Booker over DLO or think he will be better. But, even Booker #1 fan can't blame the Lakers for not picking him. He's the kind of rookie that blindsided everyone, nobody expected him to be that good. Every year there's a rookie that leapfrogs every ranking for some reason. Sometimes, it's a risky move that's pays off. Sometimes, his game translates better in the NBA. Sometimes, his game has a monster improvement over the season.

What I don't get is: how difficult is it for someone to support what we have? I'm not ashamed to say I've picked Okafor, back then, but I know my basketball talent assessment is terrible, so the moment I saw D'Angelo with a P&G cap, I said "(bleep) it! That's my guy now".

But most people believe they know much more about basketball than they actually do, and they don't want to admit it.

It's a bit of the "I didn't [vote] for him, therefore nothing can make me like him" mentality here. I thought we were drafting Okafor too, and the moment DLO was selected, I gasped, then from that point on, I decided to support this kid.

And believe me, if I thought there were objective facts that showed that DLO was a bust (i.e. Anthony Bennett, Hasheem Thabeet = busts) I would be the first to show/say it. But all the objective data I've seen shows that at worst, he will be a top 15 guard in the NBA at his prime, with a chance to be much more.

I understand when it comes to politics, it involves ideology, some blind love and, perhaps, years and years supporting one side. I understand a Democrat bashing a good Republican government, or vice versa.

But, what's the difference if you wanted Russell or Okafor (or Porky, for that matter)? Is anyone related to them? Childhood friends?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:

Tox it is my critical way to speak about everything, I'm on team Ingram since day one and you can find me using a lot of harsh words talking about his shortcomings. I really like the way Dlo is playing and I'm happy the coaching staff is willing to play him of the ball too. Telling his lack of athleticism is not a problem is insane, Dlo with athleticism is a superstar. I'm not telling he can't be one, but it is tougher for him than it is for players with better physical tools. By the way, I've never compared him to Doug Christie, it is about the situation because comparing him to guards from last 3 classes is like telling Christie was the best guard from Shaquille class.
Well, I'm not interested in dissecting your posting habits honestly. But that's the perception, and it's probably why people get a little bit defensive around your posts. Personally I don't really care; there are bigger things in the world to focus on than your diction
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
nash wrote:

Well, I'm not interested in dissecting your posting habits honestly. But that's the perception, and it's probably why people get a little bit defensive around your posts. Personally I don't really care; there are bigger things in the world to focus on than your diction

You can discuss stats and opinions without labels like hate, venom and bias and I appreciate it so I find myself compelled to give an explanation about this matter.

Last edited by nash on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject:

He is the least of our concerns. There may be some things going on behind the scenes with work-ethic, professionalism but on the court he has been by far our best player. He is still producing the way he has despite being jerked around by his first 2 coaches.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
tox wrote:
nash wrote:

You can discuss stats and opinions without labels like hate, venom and bias and I appreciate it so I find myself compelled to give an explanation about this matter.

"It is my critical way to speak about everything."

Sure, but let's measure degree and extent here. You say you're harsh on Ingram despite being his fan, and yet are you willing to say anything right here and now about him that's equivalent to "DLO will never be a superstar because he lacks athleticism?" And there's nothing critical about that kind of analysis, by the way.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

He is our best prospect by a fair margin. And in his respective draft class, he's arguably in the top 3-5 players. Pretty damn good. I also think he's better than almost all the players from the 2016 draft year.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
He is our best prospect by a fair margin. And in his respective draft class, he's arguably in the top 3-5 players. Pretty damn good. I also think he's better than almost all the players from the 2016 draft year.

Not arguably--- he's def in the top 5 of that class. After Towns, it's kind of a pick your favorite type situation but he's in there.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
nash wrote:
tox wrote:
nash wrote:

Sure, but let's measure degree and extent here. You say you're harsh on Ingram despite being his fan, and yet are you willing to say anything right here and now about him that's equivalent to "DLO will never be a superstar because he lacks athleticism?" And there's nothing critical about that kind of analysis, by the way.

I never told Dlo can't be a superstar, but the lack of athleticism is a limiting factor, it is a lot tougher for players lacking athleticism. If you take LeBron athleticism he is not a superstar. Curry is quick but not particularly fast, he gets it going because he is arguably the best shooter ever and has outstanding ball handling. Someone was making fun about the "blow by speed" talks comparing his performance to players like Mudiay while no guard from the last few drafts is a parameter of greatness to compare Dlo performance. I told it many times, I really like the way Dlo is playing and I loved the highlights from last game, another poster told it was his best performance as a pro and I'm not going to argue because he was doing a lot of things that I was expecting from our PG since he was drafted. I couldn't watch the first three quarters, but from highlights I saw a PG not a SG like in previous games and most of his career. I believe a PG has to show more dimensions and he did it last game dribbling, attacking the basket, making the defense scramble and then finding the open man when double teamed. Loved it, really.

Last edited by nash on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

Quote:
@MarkG_Medina

Towns said he and Russell plan to work out together this summer.

Getting traded for that "athletic" Dunn?

Best friends with Towns, Embiid & Booker. Yet Goerge Lopez was on First Take harping on our chemistry this year wasn't good due to DLo-Nick Young incident. Maybe he missed how much Young benefited from DLo's passes to have 40% 3P this year. And SAS obviously advocating trading DLo after drafting Ball. Shannon Sharpe has been praising him as he watched Cavs game being a Lebron fan and thinks he's the perfect combo guard next to Ball.

Last edited by saetarubia on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
nash wrote:
tox wrote:
nash wrote:

I never told Dlo can't be a superstar, but the lack of athleticism is a limiting factor, it is a lot tougher for players lacking athleticism. If you take LeBron athleticism he is not a superstar. Curry is quick but not particularly fast, he gets it going because he is arguably the best shooter ever and has outstanding ball handling. Someone was making fun about the "blow by speed" talks comparing his performance to players like Mudiay while no guard from the last few drafts is a parameter of greatness to compare Dlo performance. I told it many times, I really like the way Dlo is playing and I loved the highlights from last game, another poster told it was his best performance as a pro and I'm not going to argue because he was doing a lot of things that I was expecting for our PG since he was drafted. I couldn't watch the first three quarters, but from highlights I saw a PG not a SG like in previous games and most of his career. I believe a PG has to show more dimensions and he did it last game dribbling, attacking the basket, making the defense scramble and then finding the open man when double teamed. Loved it, really.

Again I disagree with the notion that you have to be athletic to be a superstar. Look at Nash and Paul. Both are quick but they never blew you away with their athleticism. Neither did Melo who was physically strong and had some hope when he was younger but he wasn't anywhere close in terms of top notch athleticism. For a PG like Nash, Curry, Paul, and Irving they all are deceptive with the ball which enables them to make plays even if their athleticism is nothing special. I'm not saying that Russell will be a star but I don't think his athleticism is necessarily a limiting factor if he's deceptive with his handles.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
nash wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
nash wrote:
tox wrote:
nash wrote:

I never told Dlo can't be a superstar, but the lack of athleticism is a limiting factor, it is a lot tougher for players lacking athleticism. If you take LeBron athleticism he is not a superstar. Curry is quick but not particularly fast, he gets it going because he is arguably the best shooter ever and has outstanding ball handling. Someone was making fun about the "blow by speed" talks comparing his performance to players like Mudiay while no guard from the last few drafts is a parameter of greatness to compare Dlo performance. I told it many times, I really like the way Dlo is playing and I loved the highlights from last game, another poster told it was his best performance as a pro and I'm not going to argue because he was doing a lot of things that I was expecting for our PG since he was drafted. I couldn't watch the first three quarters, but from highlights I saw a PG not a SG like in previous games and most of his career. I believe a PG has to show more dimensions and he did it last game dribbling, attacking the basket, making the defense scramble and then finding the open man when double teamed. Loved it, really.

Again I disagree with the notion that you have to be athletic to be a superstar. Look at Nash and Paul. Both are quick but they never blew you away with their athleticism. Neither did Melo who was physically strong and had some hope when he was younger but he wasn't anywhere close in terms of top notch athleticism. For a PG like Nash, Curry, Paul, and Irving they all are deceptive with the ball which enables them to make plays even if their athleticism is nothing special. I'm not saying that Russell will be a star but I don't think his athleticism is necessarily a limiting factor if he's deceptive with his handles.

Agreed
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
nash wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
nash wrote:
tox wrote:
nash wrote:

Agreed
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Still think Ingram has a good claim to that throne, but I feel like that's based on an overly optimistic projection of how good he'll be on defense. I feel like since December I haven't actually been impressed with Ingram on defense. Or maybe January... when was that Pacers game again?
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject:

I don't think you necessarily have to be super athletic to be a great player.

However, I think on the defensive side of the ball is where that limitation comes more into play..

I'm not saying average athletes cant be great defenders but I'm sure there is some correlation between the greatest defenders of all time and great athleticism?

Lets not kid ourselves everyone in the NBA is a great athlete. Some just more than others.

even today the guys we consider the best defenders are really athletic...

Leonard, Draymond, Lebron, George, Deandre, Butler.

I think someone like Westbrook could be a great defender when he wants to be but because he exerts so much energy on offense I see him taking a lot of plays off.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject:

I also disagree that you need to have elite athleticism to be a great player. Also, athleticism is such a broad term, which includes strength, vertical leap, speed, quickness, endurance, etc. Given all those factors, not everyone checks all the boxes at an elite level. Karl Malone didn't jump that high, but he was incredibly strong. You could say similar things about Magic. He had tree trunks for legs, which helped him in the post and boxing out.

I do think that Dlo's strength is underrated and could possibly become elite. He's not super fast or quick, but I think he's fast/quick enough, especially if he improves on changing speeds. His length is elite, which he's learning to use on offense and defense.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject:

athleticism encompasses a million different things. you've got top end speed, acceleration, max vertical leap, max horizontal leap, time to second jump, lateral agility, reaction time, balance, body control, etc.

while some of the PGs don't measure out athletically in the "traditional" sense, they all have incredible balance, reaction time, and body control.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

tnell wrote:
governator wrote:
We gonna continue bashing our own best player in a Lakers forum?

Sad isn't it

NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
I don't think you necessarily have to be super athletic to be a great player.

However, I think on the defensive side of the ball is where that limitation comes more into play..

I'm not saying average athletes cant be great defenders but I'm sure there is some correlation between the greatest defenders of all time and great athleticism?

Lets not kid ourselves everyone in the NBA is a great athlete. Some just more than others.

even today the guys we consider the best defenders are really athletic...

Leonard, Draymond, Lebron, George, Deandre, Butler.

I think someone like Westbrook could be a great defender when he wants to be but because he exerts so much energy on offense I see him taking a lot of plays off.

There are guys at every position who aren't considered athletic that are good defenders as well. Defense is about effort and technique/fundamentals first and foremost before athleticism.

Klay, Marc and CP3 are a few that come instantly to mind. I don't think any of those three jump out as above average as athletes.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
KBH wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
I disagree. His statistical increase is post ASB. That is a small sample. Let's not forget this guy was putting up single digits and even a 0 in games earlier this year.

You brought up him scoring 0 points early this year without any context as to why.

The hater agenda is strong in this one.

Russell leaves game vs Pacers with Knee Injury in the 1st quarter: https://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/dangelo-russell-leaves-game-vs-pacers-with-knee-injury-012017

Yeah. I do wonder if the goal was to try and get one past folks to suit the agenda, or, if he was honestly just scrolling through game logs to find something worth using as evidence.

Either way, it's disingenuous and transparent.

No, I remember him playing a full game and doing nothing, but that was my mistake to say 0. He actually scored 2 full points in full, uninjured game. Looks like you guys got me, now that he's clearly never skunked a game, it's HOF for this kid

Like I said, disingenuous and transparent. No one is building his HOF bust. But just like a 40 point game doesn't put him in the HOF, neither does a two point game. Which is the larger point here. You cherry pick the information (and misinformation) that suits you and dismiss the varied information that disproves all of your paper thin positions as "irrelevant stats." I suppose we could all just bow down to your authority as a basketball mind and flawless memory to avoid these discussions. It's served you well so far. lol
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject:

These days, I'm much less concerned with whether a guy can be an elite individual defender, and much more concerned with whether a guy is capable of being part of a good defensive line up.

Thus far, Russell has shown he can be, despite his athletic deficiencies. Obviously, he needs to get better, but he's capable of playing smart team defense when he's focused.

Last edited by AY2043 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
nash wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
nash wrote:

There is no question Russell is one of the best guards from past few seasons, but we have to be aware that there aren't guards 23 and under helping their teams to win more games. I mean, Russell, Mudiay, Booker, Dunn, LaVine ... it is not about "blow by speed", the lack of athleticism is one of Dlo's shortcomings, but all those young guards have their flaws. LaVine missing something between his ears, Dunn can't shoot, Booker is one dimensional and just like Dlo is not efficient and Mudiay at this point "is a flaw". Dough Christie was the best guard from Shaq class. I'm not comparing him to Dlo, I'm just trying to say we have to talk about Dlo based on his good production post all star, not comparing him to underwhelming high draft picks. There is really not a guard you look and tell he is going to be an all star since Lillard.

I like the way Dlo is playing and his stats are pretty good, that should be enough.

Just dripping with venom.

This is why I tell good is not good enough for passionate Dlo's supporters where anything shy of greatness is percieved as venom. The guy is good, period, when you bring the other guards from past few seasons it becomes clear that it doesn't makes sense telling he is the best guard in years since no player from this period is a difference maker at this point. GT uses the term crazy talk at Imgram's thread, Dlo is playing really well, but there are some crazy talk going on here too. If you think Mudiay, Dunn, Booker and LaVine is a good crop of guards then I understand your indignation, but if you like me think there is not going to be the next Stephen Curry among them you are going to see I just have my feet on the ground.

Yeah I agree with you. He's good but it's like if you speak level headed and tempered, people come out with pitchforks. Even mods sadly.

Your posts on DLO is "level headed" and "tempered?"

He's got a crucifixion complex and everyone who disagrees with them and provides objective information is Pontius Pilate.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
KBH wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
I disagree. His statistical increase is post ASB. That is a small sample. Let's not forget this guy was putting up single digits and even a 0 in games earlier this year.

You brought up him scoring 0 points early this year without any context as to why.

The hater agenda is strong in this one.

Russell leaves game vs Pacers with Knee Injury in the 1st quarter: https://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/dangelo-russell-leaves-game-vs-pacers-with-knee-injury-012017

Yeah. I do wonder if the goal was to try and get one past folks to suit the agenda, or, if he was honestly just scrolling through game logs to find something worth using as evidence.

Either way, it's disingenuous and transparent.

No, I remember him playing a full game and doing nothing, but that was my mistake to say 0. He actually scored 2 full points in full, uninjured game. Looks like you guys got me, now that he's clearly never skunked a game, it's HOF for this kid

Ok, fair enough. DLo has 14 games of single digits including the 0 pt one where he was injured. But he has 44 games of double digit scoring.

Since you are worried about sample size, wouldn't 14 games be a much smaller sample size than 44? Like why is a 2 pt effort an indication he sucks but a 40 pt night where he became the youngest Laker ever to put up 40 in a reg season game isn't an indicator he doesn't?

Easy. Those 44 games don't fit his agenda.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Kid just turned 21 and has shown when he plays 32mpg, he's basically able to be a 20+ ppg/5+ apg level player. That portends great things as he ages...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2178, 2179, 2180 ... 2870, 2871, 2872  Next
Page 2179 of 2872
Jump to: