OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2264, 2265, 2266 ... 2871, 2872, 2873  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
The Logo wrote:
Is the quote from Fizdale seriously going to be the new anti analytics movement

It doesn't matter that the fiercely anti-analytic guys tend to you know...LOSE!

How's it goink?

Lakers get: Jahil Okafor
Sixers get: Ivica Zubac

Lakers get: Carmelo Anthony
Knicks get: Brandon Ingram and Luol Deng

Lakers get #1 pick
Sixers get #2 pick and D'Angelo Russell

Tell Julius he only needs a right hand to be a superstar and forget the jumpshot.

PG: Lonzo Ball
SG: Jordan Clarkson
SF: Carmelo Anthony
PF: Julius Randle
C: Jahil Okafor

CHAMPIONSHIPS

Last edited by The Logo on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
This organization used to be comprised of some of the smartest people in the sport. Now we're laughably behind the curve and somehow have no use for Jerry West.

jim buss was opposite of smart. FA's laughed at the bb ops last summer.
they were last in using analytics. they said they don't need to be part of sloan conference.

Jim also said Lou Williams is part of the core at 30yr old. Same guy who said in
5-8years Sacre might be a role player some day

Last edited by Chase.button07 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

Greg Popovich on analytics.

" I look at the analytics, some of it is very worthwhile some of it is superfluous poppycock"

haha..

" I think most of the things we find out from analytics are pretty much logical. things you already have a pretty good feel for. Sometimes they prove what you were thinking ahead of time. Now and then there might be something you need to look at because theres something that might be happening that you didn't notice. So theres a use for it. BUT we don't walk in everyday and say Give me the analytics. its just one of the tools "

Balance is what comes to mind. I'm sick of seeing fans who say they don't like Dangelo based on what they have seen observationally. Then the supporters come in with all these analytics claiming the others don't know what they are talking about.

I doubt Popovich drafted Tim Duncan, Ginobili and parker based only on analytics. He had people who scouted and watch them play and made decisions based on that. what does there shooting form look like, how is there ball handling, there competitive level. Analytics can reinforce this but its not just one or the other.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:

" I look at the analytics, some of it is very worthwhile some of it is superfluous poppycock"

haha..

" I think most of the things we find out from analytics are pretty much logical. things you already have a pretty good feel for. Sometimes they prove what you were thinking ahead of time. Now and then there might be something you need to look at because theres something that might be happening that you didn't notice. So theres a use for it. BUT we don't walk in everyday and say Give me the analytics. its just one of the tools "

Balance is what comes to mind. I'm sick of seeing fans who say they don't like Dangelo based on what they have seen observationally. Then the supporters come in with all these analytics claiming the others don't know what they are talking about.

I doubt Popovich drafted Tim Duncan, Ginobili and parker based only on analytics. He had people who scouted and watch them play and made decisions based on that. what does there shooting form look like, how is there ball handling, there competitive level. Analytics can reinforce this but its not just one or the other.

who said it matters. absolutely.

if Pop said: its fine
if magic said: sky is falling attitude on lg

Last edited by Chase.button07 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:

haha..

Obviously but you're missing the fact that the D'Angelo supporters aren't just using arbitrary stats; they see what he is on the court and use analytics as a vehicle to support their opinions.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
This organization used to be comprised of some of the smartest people in the sport. Now we're laughably behind the curve and somehow have no use for Jerry West.

they were last in using analytics. they said they don't need to be part of sloan conference.

Jim also said Lou Williams is part of the core at 30yr old. Same guy who said in

Lol. Jim is the only reason LA has any analytics. Jerry didn't do it, it isn't Mitch's field, and magic and company loudly fought the analytics movement.

Fwiw, there's a lot of schrodingers Jim around these parts. Analytics suck while simultaneously Jim wasn't doing them well enough.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

haha..

Obviously but you're missing the fact that the D'Angelo supporters aren't just using arbitrary stats; they see what he is on the court and use analytics as a vehicle to support their opinions.

What is he on the court?

a good shooter? high turnovers, no Defense. cant really get into the paint with regularity?

those are things I see am I wrong? Dangelo's best attribute is shooting IMO.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

The majority of people wanted Jahlil Okafor...including Magic Johnson, who openly said he would've drafted him first.

But it's fine. He was a great basketball player so he's obviously qualified to do this job.

Would do you prefer Phil since he drafted a player doing better than ours?

We can't judge someone for a single move, give Magic time to build something. This team is the laughingstock of the league, Clippers is the best team of this city for several years, it is a shame.

Last edited by nash on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:34 am; edited 4 times in total
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

BobbyB wrote:
The Logo wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

haha..

What is he on the court?

a good shooter? high turnovers, no Defense. cant really get into the paint with regularity?

Ball handling, creating off the dribble, vision, and yes, the stats indicate he is an average defender.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Wait what about that SLAM interview implied the new FO was anti-analytics? Did I miss something?
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
The Logo wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

haha..

What is he on the court?

Ball handling, creating off the dribble, vision, and yes, the stats indicate he is an average defender.

I agree with Ball handling, creating off the dribble for jump shots but not getting to the rim.

Average defender eh hard to judge with Lakers being such a poor defensive team all together. Not sold on that part of his game yet.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
Dominator wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
pio2u wrote:
D’Angelo Russell on Brandon Ingram, Magic Johnson and How Players View ‘Tanking’

Quote:
SLAM sat down with the 21-year-old Lakers PG to discuss his second NBA season, his favorite video games and much more.

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/dangelo-russell-interview-lakers/#TQdcUbagZIjJwFsd.99

Quote:
SLAM: And what are some of the things they’ve told you they expect from you?

DR: Being an all-around better leader, a player that comes out every night on a consistent basis and dominates the game the way I know I can, and just try to change my body. I’m a skinny guy that you wouldn’t consider a strong, athletic guy, so try to change that and better myself for the eye test.

lawd the eye test makin' waves

As it should be. The eye test is the number one method for analysis. Stats and then advanced stats are only useful as supporting data behind the eye test. If you proritize advanced stats over the eye test then you will be incorrectly evaluating a player. And Magic knows that best.

Take that for data!

You have it completely backwards. You're advocating that people ignore data and evidence and just go with how they feel on a particular subject.

Who is saying that?

You take 20 people and rank them off eye test. Then you adjust that ranking off basic stats like points or assists. Then you break ties in rankings by using advanced stats.

But if you start with advanced stats then go basic stats then go eye test then you are backwards

Do you really think that's how it works? With the basic stats part? And then advanced stats are the tiebreaker?

This is exactly how science works. You see something happening and you make what feels to you a proper assessment of how it works (like say, hurricanes are caused by god being angry). Then you take really loose observations of whether or not that might be true (is there a hurricane? Is there some reason god might be angry?). If this loose analysis tends to confirm the hypothesis, you're good. If not, maybe then seek out a meteorologist as a last resort. But don't trust him, and don't start there with your next weather question.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
The Logo wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

haha..

What is he on the court?

how do the stats for d work??? have a links to those stats?
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
The Logo wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
The Logo wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

haha..

What is he on the court?

I agree with Ball handling, creating off the dribble for jump shots but not getting to the rim.

Average defender eh hard to judge with Lakers being such a poor defensive team all together. Not sold on that part of his game yet.

I agree with him needing to get to the rim more, but he looks better at attacking the basket post ASB. His defense was also solid post ASB; he always looks low energy, but JC always look high energy defensively and he's not a good defender either. Russell makes smart decisions defensively but when he makes a mistake, it makes it look like he's not trying
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
The Logo wrote:

How's it goink?

Lakers get: Jahil Okafor
Sixers get: Ivica Zubac

Lakers get: Carmelo Anthony
Knicks get: Brandon Ingram and Luol Deng

Lakers get #1 pick
Sixers get #2 pick and D'Angelo Russell

Tell Julius he only needs a right hand to be a superstar and forget the jumpshot.

PG: Lonzo Ball
SG: Jordan Clarkson
SF: Carmelo Anthony
PF: Julius Randle
C: Jahil Okafor

CHAMPIONSHIPS

I really hate you right now
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:

haha..

Do you think that what Popovich said is really all that different from what pro-analytics people think?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

The majority of people wanted Jahlil Okafor...including Magic Johnson, who openly said he would've drafted him first.

But it's fine. He was a great basketball player so he's obviously qualified to do this job.

We can't judge someone for a single move, give Magic time to build something. This team is the laughingstock of the league, Clippers is the best team of this city for several years, it is a shame.

So passive aggressive.

Of course I don't want Phil, who's another example of why being successful in one area of basketball doesn't make you qualified to be an exec, and of an anti-analytics guy who's getting absolutely smoked by the rest of the league.

As for the "guy who's doing better than ours", it's a function of position. Again, all you gotta do is look at the other young guards in the league to see that Russell's gonna be just fine. There are several guys within Porzingis' age who are better bigs.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

haha..

Do you think that what Popovich said is really all that different from what pro-analytics people think?

Its never all or nothing....There are probably people who do and don't.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
The Logo wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
The Logo wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

haha..

What is he on the court?

I agree with him needing to get to the rim more, but he looks better at attacking the basket post ASB. His defense was also solid post ASB; he always looks low energy, but JC always look high energy defensively and he's not a good defender either. Russell makes smart decisions defensively but when he makes a mistake, it makes it look like he's not trying

I agree. Post all star break towards the end of the season I saw him attacking the basket more, which was nice, I want to see a lot more of this next season if its possible for him. Keep the dribble alive under the hoop ala nash.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

The real laughingstock of the league is the Knicks who you referenced. And if you think it's one "move" by Magic then you are clueless regarding his previous statements.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Are Jim Buss and Magic Johnson my only choices to run the Lakers?

Could we have just tried to find the best and brightest people, or does the team have to be run like a mafia family where only a very small group of people who are either blood relatives or made men get jobs?

Jim Buss wasn't qualified for the position that he was in. He got it because he was the son. Magic Johnson isn't qualified for the position that he's in. He got it because he's basically an adopted son.

I want the best basketball people running the team. That's it. That isn't Jim or Magic.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

Folks. The earth is apparently flat.

In this thread it certainly is.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
The Logo wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
The Logo wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

haha..

What is he on the court?

how do the stats for d work??? have a links to those stats?

Quote:
@LakerFilmRoom 11. For all of the pearl-clutching about him getting “blown by”, he’s defended all of 37 possessions in Isolation this year.

— Laker Film Room (@LakerFilmRoom) March 3, 2017

@LakerFilmRoom 12. surrendering 0.98 PPP…exactly at the 50th percentile.

@LakerFilmRoom 13. He’s been a good pick & roll defender (68th percentile), & about as equally efficient at going over (65th), under (61st),

@LakerFilmRoom 14. or into (60th) screens. He’s in the 73rd percentile when guards reject pick & rolls & he has to stay in front.

@LakerFilmRoom 15. He’s been below average on his closeouts (35th percentile) & contesting around the basket (11th).

@LakerFilmRoom 16. Far too often, he’ll give up on a switch vs. a big. He definitely needs to improve there.

@LakerFilmRoom 17. But overall, Russell ranked in the 57th percentile in all defensive situations.

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
The Logo wrote:

How's it goink?

How about Charles Barkley? Is there another commentator as consistently and stupidly wrong as he is? And he's also the loudest anti-analytics guy.

I wonder if there's a correlation.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
nash wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

So passive aggressive.

Of course I don't want Phil, who's another example of why being successful in one area of basketball doesn't make you qualified to be an exec, and of an anti-analytics guy who's getting absolutely smoked by the rest of the league.

As for the "guy who's doing better than ours", it's a function of position. Again, all you gotta do is look at the other young guards in the league to see that Russell's gonna be just fine. There are several guys within Porzingis' age who are better bigs.

Not passive aggressive, I just find it unfair most of the pro Russell crop bashing Magic before giving him the chance to prove himself in his position.

Don't you remember yourself asking for patience towards Dlo? Magic is a rookie, has deep Lakers roots, why not give him the same chance you asked for the young PG you wanted us to draft?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2264, 2265, 2266 ... 2871, 2872, 2873  Next
Page 2265 of 2873
Jump to: