OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2278, 2279, 2280 ... 2871, 2872, 2873  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject:

This thread is rather entertaining. DLO really seemed to figure it out post all star. Although not super athletic, he is more athletic than he appears. I saw that surface a lot more the second half of the season and he did dunk a few times as well. He is very methodical in his actions and seems to still be thinking too much. But when he just played, he started being quicker to the hoop.

Go back to the 2015 NBA draft. KAT is clearly #1 and shown it. After that only Porzingas, Myles Turner and Devin Booker have really shown anything besides DLO. Porzingas is the only one that is clearly #2 from this list, and let's be honest, Laker fans would have been screaming if they drafted him #2.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
as long as he hs a mike conley tyoe career ill be happy

Conley year 2: 11/4/3.

If you look at conley's career Dlo arguably has comparable stats to Conley in years 1 and 2. It's only year 10 where Conley has the better raw numbers.

besides the numbers i want him to have that floor leadership/defense/decision making
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

If you look at conley's career Dlo arguably has comparable stats to Conley in years 1 and 2. It's only year 10 where Conley has the better raw numbers.

besides the numbers i want him to have that floor leadership/defense/decision making

And there just aren't many recently drafted young guards that do that. They're so young.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

Conley didn't have much in the way of those things in his second year either, on a team that went 24-58 with Marc Gasol, Rudy Gay, Kyle Lowry, & OJ Mayo on the roster.

Kids get a lot better, man. And not just when they have long arms or blow by speed.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

One can only dream of that level of consistent defensive effort. I hope he can make that next step.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

One can only dream of that level of consistent defensive effort. I hope he can make that next step.

2nd year. I can't think of any elite 2 way guards drafted in the past 3-4 years. It's just taking guards longer in the NBA it seems.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

Conley didn't have much in the way of those things in his second year either, on a team that went 24-58 with Marc Gasol, Rudy Gay, Kyle Lowry, & OJ Mayo on the roster.

Kids get a lot better, man. And not just when they have long arms or blow by speed.

IMO, if he stays mentally checked into the game, everything else will take care of itself.

There is a list of things he needs to work on (body, passing with off hand, finishing with right hand, floater, improve shooting consistency, etc), but staying focused will do wonders.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject:

I love Conley.

To put it in perspective though, Conley was considered a bust for a very long time.

You need patience.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

2nd year. I can't think of any elite 2 way guards drafted in the past 3-4 years. It's just taking guards longer in the NBA it seems.

He could have come into the league with defensive effort. It's basically going to have to be a transformation in his game at this point, because it's not what he is, and wasn't what he was at OSU. Was hoping Luke would bring it out of him.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

IMO, if he stays mentally checked into the game, everything else will take care of itself.

There is a list of things he needs to work on (body, passing with off hand, finishing with right hand, floater, improve shooting consistency, etc), but staying focused will do wonders.

I think he's gonna be 25, playing somewhere else, and we'll be talking about how he finally "got it" when it was pretty likely to happen all along. Yes, he needs to focus more, but that's true of just about every young player in the NBA and we'd be saying that about all of them if we watched them every day.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
I love Conley.

To put it in perspective though, Conley was considered a bust for a very long time.

You need patience.

I just shake my head.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

He could have come into the league with defensive effort. It's basically going to have to be a transformation in his game at this point, because it's not what he is, and wasn't what he was at OSU. Was hoping Luke would bring it out of him.

Again. It's not just a fault that is centric to Dlo. Look at current playoff starting guards: Teague, Schroeder, lillard, cj, reddick (early in career), Droz, kyrie, Parker, IT. None were noted defensively intensive/efficacious players early on and even now.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

I think he's gonna be 25, playing somewhere else, and we'll be talking about how he finally "got it" when it was pretty likely to happen all along. Yes, he needs to focus more, but that's true of just about every young player in the NBA and we'd be saying that about all of them if we watched them every day.

I really hope they can be patient and stand pat, but I'm not sure Magic can avoid temptation. I think we have 2 players in Russell & Ingram that can be part of the core for this team for a decade plus.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

I really hope they can be patient and stand pat, but I'm not sure Magic can avoid temptation. I think we have 2 players in Russell & Ingram that can be part of the core for this team for a decade plus.

Exactly. And the shame would be looking for a Dlo type player a few years after he's traded.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Dlo is going to blow up. And yes he is on a bad team so it makes it that much more likely stat wise. I like his progression thus far. You see things like him having more legs on the jumper off the dribble or screen. He finishes better at the rim than last year. He is just overall more aware and has a better feel for the game. But he feels is just still so raw right now and still hasn't had the benefit of playing with a full complement of a mature NBA roster. He still has upside and nothing indicates to me that he doesn't have the work ethic to keep going or that he has capped out.

And using spot stats to project is a completely subjective exercise. Tyreke was going to be he greatest thing since Lebron when he averaged 20/5/5. He ended up a journeyman.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:

And the reality is that we could cash in every young player we have for someone who's better right now and we still wouldn't be remotely close to an NBA title.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

And the reality is that we could cash in every young player we have for someone who's better right now and we still wouldn't be remotely close to an NBA title.

Exactly. We need to add to the young guys as they develop. You already know what I'm worried about.....Magic Johnson.......Knicks......
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

No, but we'd have an all star for next year's game in LA BABY
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

No, but we'd have an all star for next year's game in LA BABY

We had an all star last year.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
as long as he hs a mike conley type career ill be happy

I can see DLo getting to Conley's prime level.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

That may be true or may not.

Is keeping our young core intact the pathway to an NBA title?

I find it strange when you tell you don't think Dlo is going to be a superstar, we know you are higher on him than you are on Ingram and you have questioned Zubac potential before. The current NBA formula to a championship is collecting all stars, if you tell us Dlo is our best asset and has a chance to make a few all star games, I have a tough time understanding how we can become contenders standing pat.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

I find it strange when you tell you don't think Dlo is going to be a superstar, we know you are higher on him than you are on Ingram and you have questioned Zubac potential before. The current NBA formula to a championship is collecting all stars, if you tell us Dlo is our best asset and has a chance to make a few all star games, I have a tough time understanding how we can become contenders standing pat.

Ingram and our yet to be had top 3 pick are probably more coveted assets. Yet none are surefire superstars either.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

Fair point, but standing pat with the young guys doesn't mean that we can't add on FA's to take us to the next level along with the developed young players.

I'd avoid trading BI at all costs, he's going to be a star.
Same for Dlo, maybe just a notch lower than BI.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
as long as he hs a mike conley type career ill be happy

I can see DLo getting to Conley's prime level.

And I hope people will be satisfied with that. For some reason Dlo is the one everyone wants being the leader/top option. Anything less is failure to a lot of people.

Some more perspective, it took Conley 7 seasons to average more points than what Dlo did this season.

Conley has been hindered by the structure of his team since they have never had good spacing. I don't think it's a coincidence he has a career year when they put in Green as a floor spacer in place of Zbo and made Marc take threes opening up things for Conley.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

You keep saying the choice is "cash in on every young player" which is certainly an option, but an unlikely one.

But I think it is likely that at least one of the "young core" will not be on the roster next season.

The reason being I don't see Magic/Pelinka going into next season with an unproven coach and a team of young guys showing no inkling on defense or even competing hard game in and game out.

Sticking with all the young guys could well be the wisest move in the long run. Or it could be a terrible move. Either way, I doubt this young core is all together much longer, someone is going out in a trade.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2278, 2279, 2280 ... 2871, 2872, 2873  Next
Page 2279 of 2873
Jump to: