OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2419, 2420, 2421 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
John Ireland made a good point today that there are players who wanna PLAY in the NBA and players that are just happy to be in the NBA. Looks like Lakers only want players that wanna play.

How can you tell the difference in a 21 year old who has been working everyday at the facilities?

I heard Ireland say that and I immediately thought Dlo might be one of those players who thinks he is working hard, but Magic, Luke, Rob knows what REALLY working hard means.

I have gotten the impression that DLO did what was required but didn't reach beyond that enough.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Capt.Skyhook wrote:
2019 wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
John Ireland made a good point today that there are players who wanna PLAY in the NBA and players that are just happy to be in the NBA. Looks like Lakers only want players that wanna play.

How can you tell the difference in a 21 year old who has been working everyday at the facilities?

I heard Ireland say that and I immediately thought Dlo might be one of those players who thinks he is working hard, but Magic, Luke, Rob knows what REALLY working hard means.

I have gotten the impression that DLO did what was required but didn't reach beyond that enough.

I don't know, but if the guy who isn't working hard enough is still the most productive, I might want to see if best case I can get more, or worst case still have a pretty damn good player.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject:

But I guess I'm one of those bosses who prefers actual production to the visible appearance of activity.
zoom K083
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Another thing to point, is DLO's going to a team run by people that learned from the best organization in the last 20 yrs, the spurs. I think they got a player that we seriously undervalued for Brook Lopez, a guy they've been trying to get rid of for years.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject:

lj12 wrote:
Is there a chance that the trade isn't official? I haven't seen anything posted by the Lakers with regards to it.. I keep hoping to wake up from this nightmare haha

When a player gets traded, it may not be official but at that point they are pretty much gone. It says the team doesn't want you anymore at this point in time. It would be awkward as hell to go back to the team short of failing a physical. Even then mentally those players check out and can't wait to leave an environment where they know they aren't welcome.
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
lj12 wrote:
Is there a chance that the trade isn't official? I haven't seen anything posted by the Lakers with regards to it.. I keep hoping to wake up from this nightmare haha

When a player gets traded, it may not be official but at that point they are pretty much gone. It says the team doesn't want you anymore at this point in time. It would be awkward as hell to go back to the team short of failing a physical. Even then mentally those players check out and can't wait to leave an environment where they know they aren't welcome.

Case in point Lamar Odom. Pau on the other hand is an example of a player who wanted to stay anyways after the CP3 fiasco.
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject:

lj12 wrote:

Stephien rule. Waiting on nets to make 27 pick then it will be announced after the pick.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
The more I read/hear about the trade from Woj and Ding, the greater sense I get is that this trade is independent of getting George.

The Lakers wanted D'Angelo gone. Check the summary comments in this Reddit thread from a Wojcast

https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/6iq894/woj_streaming_live_on_fb/?st=J47TG9YJ&sh=6663e7f5

alarming.

Yeah, this is my impression as well. They really, really didn't like the kid as a person. The complaints aren't about his game.

Magic wanted the best teeth in town

LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject:

Found this on Reddit:

Zach Lowe and Ramona Shelburne on D'angelo Russell, The Lowe Post Podcast 21 Mar 17 (3 months ago to boot)

Some background: Shelburne is a legitimate source for the Lakers, who has legit insider knowledge on the front office. Zach Lowe is one of if not the best sportswriters of the NBA, and is very objective. I would argue that he has had a very fair, perhaps optimistic view towards the Lakers. In addition, look at the date: March 21st, 2017. This was 3 months ago.
(On D'angelo Russell)
Lowe: Tell me what the Lakers think about D'angelo Russell
Shelburne:It's interesting . . . you don't need me to show any mock drafts to tell you who the top players in this draft are, they're all point guards. They're trying to evaluate how D'angelo would play with them.
L: lately, the last month, he just doesn't look athletic, the finishing has always been bad, some of the games he doesn't have lift and bounce
S: he also had some knee injuries this year
L: the main reason he's so polarizing is because of the knee injuries, both this year and in the past. people think if he doesn't get enough lift, he's gonna have problems
S: they're still trying to figure out how to use him
L: I didn't get the bring off the bench thing I thought that was weird, I don't know if that was sending a message thing, or lackadaisical play
S: I think it's a little both. He also hasn't really been elevating. Turnovers are a symptom of trying too hard, or lackadaisical play . . . in his case some of it is a little both. But if you're not elevating your teammates, making them better while running this system, you gotta sit out.
L: I didn't understand it if its not a message
The writing has been on the wall. Notice how Shelburne gives an ambiguous answer to the Lakers' opinion on Russell: "It's interesting." She then talks about the upcoming draft, even name dropping Lonzo Ball. She knew that the Lakers did not believe in Russell. If you have a (bleep) team, you believe in your best player and let him run wild. Instead, the Lakers made him go on-ball to off-ball, brought him off the bench, etc. They were more concerned about his fit with future teammates. Also, there was clearly something wrong with him, whether it's his injuries or personality issues. I was pissed about the trade yesterday, but the more I think about it, it might have been good to get rid of D'lo. There's a reason why all those lottery teams passed on trading for him, there's a reason why we were forced to always defend him, there's a reason why there were so many trade rumors (that we dismissed as stupid) surrounding him over the past years.
TLDR: We don't know as much as we think
Some of the Lakers' front office's opinions on other players:
(Zubac)
Shelburne: [The Lakers] really like him! They want to see what he can be
(Randle)
Lowe: I am going to die on the Julius Randle hill . . . [he's] a good basketball player, and I want him on my team
Shelburne: I think he's been a surprise for [the Lakers] this year . . . (when he plays poorly) people assume it's laziness, but it's not, it's confidence.
John Corey
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject:

Guys this is admittedly off topic but it's something I've been wondering about for a while.
Summer league last year some were saying Russell was clearly the best player in the competition. And he did have some very good games. I think it was their 3rd game where they had a big lead, but the offense dried up big and we lost. Can anyone remind me who the guy was on the opposition that lit the place up? He must have been 6'7 or thereabouts and we rotated several guys on him but nobody could stop him. Including Russell. I've always wondered what happened to him. Whether he got picked up in the draft.
Cheers
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject:

John Corey wrote:
Guys this is admittedly off topic but it's something I've been wondering about for a while.
Summer league last year some were saying Russell was clearly the best player in the competition. And he did have some very good games. I think it was their 3rd game where they had a big lead, but the offense dried up big and we lost. Can anyone remind me who the guy was on the opposition that lit the place up? He must have been 6'7 or thereabouts and we rotated several guys on him but nobody could stop him. Including Russell. I've always wondered what happened to him. Whether he got picked up in the draft.
Cheers

Ian Clark?
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject:

John Corey wrote:
Cheers

Jordan McRae, 26 year old third year player. He was waived by the Cavs in March after appearing in 37 games for them.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
John Corey wrote:
Cheers

Jordan McRae, 26 year old third year player. He was waived by the Cavs in March after appearing in 37 games for them.

http://www.nba.com/games/20160714/CLELAL/gameinfo.html
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
John Corey wrote:
Cheers

It was not a 76ers scrub guard that gave us a lot of trouble?
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
John Corey wrote:
Cheers

Amazing that your obsession hasn't ended yet.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
nash wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
John Corey wrote:
Cheers

I'd call it your obsession because I'm just trying to remember a player that gave us a lot of trouble on pick and roll situations where it is more about team defense/communication than man defense.

Last edited by nash on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/johnablack56/status/877760408483844096
John Corey
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
John Corey wrote:
Cheers

Thanks mate. That was him. He smoked us.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
lj12 wrote:

Stephien rule. Waiting on nets to make 27 pick then it will be announced after the pick.

I guess the rule doesn't apply, since Nets have the #22 pick.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
nash wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
John Corey wrote:
Cheers

I'd call it your obsession because I'm just trying to remember a player that gave us a lot of trouble on pick and roll situations where it is more about team defense/communication than man defense.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
nash wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
nash wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
John Corey wrote:
Cheers

Says the poster who basically didn't post until the 2015 draft...and when Oak wasn't selected, has posted about 90% about a guy he doesn't have an "obsession" with.

Nash, DLO's gone. Let it be.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
John Corey wrote:
Cheers

I wouldn't call TJ McConnell a scrub. Far from it. Damn the scoring. He put up legitimate assist totals and ran their offense smoothly (3.3 AST:TO ratio) In fact, I believe Cleveland was trying to acquire him before the trade deadline. They needed him and I'm sure 29 other teams would love to have him as their backup PG.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
DLO is in a better situation for himself. Best of luck to him. I don't understand with this move, people are hoping the Lakers fail? But it is what it is; this was a bigger picture move and I choose to look at the bigger picture. Once things start getting out of hand, then that's when I will start saying something. This is not necessarily a "ridiculous" move. Not to mention it works out for the Lakers and D'angelo Russell. If we draft lonzo, I did wanna see how they worked out together, because I thought that combo would be electrifying.

I'd like to see Russell ball out, but not at our expense. That said, there were a number of people openly rooting for Russell to fail when he was actually on our team. Check the history of this thread after he had a bad game. That's not terribly different than some people hoping he shows us up.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject:

We should root for DLO to succeed AND for the Lakers to get their max player next year.

For those who hated him from the get go, obviously won't change their minds. But the last thing I want to see is DLO succeed and the Lakers fail, or worse yet, both DLO and the Lakers fail. No schadeunfreude for me here.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

Lol for what it's worth, I think Kobe started following DLO on twitter today.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2419, 2420, 2421 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next
Page 2420 of 2856
Jump to: