OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2425, 2426, 2427 ... 2871, 2872, 2873  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
but how are his teeth?!

THIS
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject:

I gotta admit, I think DLo is gonna have a really good year with Brooklyn, but the trade IMO reminds me of the time when we needed to trade Van Exel and Jones and it ended up leading us to 3 titles. Similar to that if trading Russell to unload Mozgov ends up leading us to titles with a few star FAs in the fold then I won't complain.

Let's remember the Lakers have always made sacrificing decisions through out there history but it ended up leading us to title contention.

In Magic and Pelinka I trust.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

Yeah, calling Lonzo "that kid" means nothing.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
singlecamVTEC wrote:
I think y'all reading in too much about him not calling Lonzo by his name lol.

People straining really hard to criticize any little thing that D'Angelo Russell says or does? Nah...

Not criticizing, just analyzing

C'mon, GT, he knows what the kid's name is and it's just funny to hear anyone refer to Lonzo as "that guy", let alone the player he supposedly "replaced"
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject:

From a Nets board.

Quote:
If you think about it D'Angelo has a shot to become an all-star in the east. He's been working out with purpose and motivation ever since he came here. And if you look right now star players here are really thin.

LeBron
Giannis
Carmelo
Irving
Wall

Embiid
Hayward
Rozan
Lowry
Isiah

That's the top 10 and that's assuming Carmelo, Kyrie are still in the east and Embiid doesn't get hurt again. Otherwise that's just 7 players then it's wide open to anyone to get the last 2-5 spots.

Love
Kemba
Porzingis
D'Angelo

it could actually happen

Last edited by Nash Vegas on Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

GoldenThroat wrote:
singlecamVTEC wrote:

People straining really hard to criticize any little thing that D'Angelo Russell says or does? Nah...

He doesn't have blow by speed. Obviously it affects his ability to say Lonzo's name
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

He is with the Nets now. I wish him the best and hope he has a great career but he isn't a Laker anymore. I wish we can move on and talk about our players.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

I'm not crying
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
singlecamVTEC wrote:

Not criticizing, just analyzing

C'mon, GT, he knows what the kid's name is and it's just funny to hear anyone refer to Lonzo as "that guy", let alone the player he supposedly "replaced"

Yea. Reading the quotes is one thing.
Listening to the pod, it definitely catches your attention.

At first I thought he was talking about some kid who came up to him at summer league or something. And I was thinking, hmmm... I dont recall reading about a DLO incident at the SL. Then I was like... oh, he means Lonzo hahaha.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
From a Nets board.

Quote:
If you think about it D'Angelo has a shot to become an all-star in the east. He's been working out with purpose and motivation ever since he came here. And if you look right now star players here are really thin.

LeBron
Giannis
Carmelo
Irving
Wall

Embiid
Hayward
Rozan
Lowry
Isiah

That's the top 10 and that's assuming Carmelo, Kyrie are still in the east and Embiid doesn't get hurt again. Otherwise that's just 7 players then it's wide open to anyone to get the last 2-5 spots.

Love
Kemba
Porzingis
D'Angelo

Beal, Whiteside, Dragic, Schroeder, Myles Turner
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
He is with the Nets now. I wish him the best and hope he has a great career but he isn't a Laker anymore. I wish we can move on and talk about our players.

Are you referring to "our players" on the roster or the countless ongoing discussions of hypothetical player additions next year?
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

I like DLo but it was just a combination of things, he was too young to understand what he was getting into, they thought he was going to be a flashy lights out shooting PG, then when Magic came in, they wanted him to get stronger so he could move to off ball and run the floor more and I never really noticed him looking that much stronger after the season, meanwhile Julius was going crazy dropping to 6% body fat. Magic just didn't see that maniac commitment so he wasn't a "Magic guy" so they moved him out.

The lingering comment I remember from DLo is, "running is punishment" which I think rubbed people in the organization the wrong way and along with the Nick Young video, he just never recovered from it.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

So he came into the league trying to carry himself like Rondo... mission accomplished.

It's pretty wild how he doesn't seem to be the least bitter about Magic's comments.

Last edited by greenfrog on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:

he will always be my player

*runs out the thread sobbing loudly*
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
So he came into the league trying to carry himself like Rondo... mission accomplished.

It's pretty wild how he doesn't seem to be the least bitter about Magic's comments.

Even if he was bitter, he is showing maturity not letting it slip in an interview.

Just imagine the headlines and commentary from fans and media alike if he said anything even remotely critical of Magic.

Good interview. Had a roller coaster ride of expectations and contributions with the Lakers. Wish him luck in Brooklyn.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject:

Good interview. The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was "I don't care about what everyone says about me, the feeling is mutual"
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject:

That was a typical interview of someone who got traded. Happy in new situation but obviously bitter about being traded, while trying to be as PC as possible.

Color me shocked people are trying to stir up controversy out of it

Best of luck in BKN, Dlo.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

I can't wait for the next time the topic of DLO & the Lakers come up in the media... I'll anxiously be awaiting all the future DLO threads that will appear here... 🙄

Yesterday I came up with future LG Polls about DLO, include such great questions as:

Will DLO take me to prom?
&
Is DLO better than Neo from "The Matrix" (Style-wise and Basketball-wise)?

I think it's now clear that DLO is greater than Neo in every way, shape, or form. 😂😂😂
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

[quote="Jordan-esque"]
Quote:
@wojespn

Q: When the Lakers got the #2 pick this season, you thought what?

DLO: "I didn't know. I didn't know from their mouths who they were targeting. I knew whatever happens, happens for a reason. I didn't really have a blueprint of what they have laid out for me."

Q: DeMarcus Cousins trade talks where your name was being mentioned for the first time, what was that like?"

DLO: "At that time all I heard was my name. You never expect it to happen to you. You see guys get traded all the time. I remember when Lou Williams got traded and I felt really bad because he was my guy, he was the best player in our team. I didn't expect him to get traded. They got this guy who was dominating, we weren't winning games, but he was bringing it every night. His stock was high so I saw that from their perspective. And I see him go to Houston and dominating, he should've won 6th man. Then you see James Harden get traded from Oklahoma and makes his career. So I never once look into being traded as a negative. I just have to make the best out of that too."

Q: How different is the environment between LA and Brooklyn to do your work?

DLO: "Way different. The freedom. In LA it's not like a college, where like in Brooklyn where they run things like a college where you have a schedule laid out, a time, you know what it is. I don't want to downgrade any organization. It's just different. When you're a young player from college you thrive within a structure."

Q: Magic made a comment about your leadership after you were traded, were you surprised?

DLO: "Definitely. I didn't expect it. I didn't know the reason behind it. I'm off your hands, I'm on a new team. I don't understand the comment. I still don't. He's still one of the best PG to ever play the game, and whatever he has to say is something I can run with it, just take it and run with it and make the negative into a positive, make the best thing out of it. I'm not going to go back and forth with Magic. Nothing you can do about it."

Q: Is the scrutiny in LA more different, that you get judged much more than your draft class?

DLO: "I learned right away coming in young that it's magnified. You experience and learn from it. It's all you can do. But I would never go back and changed it. I don't really care either though. I still have a brand I'm still trying to you know... at the end of the day I don't care what people say about me. The feeling is mutual. I just keep my circle small and just work hard."

Just some quick thoughts...

1. I don't think Kobe, Magic, LeBron, MJ etc...ever need or was waiting for their organization to build a blueprint for them...leaders just don't talk like that. For better or worse, leaders always have a vision for themselves independent of what anyone else thinks or wants.

2. I am disappointed that someone with DLo immense talent would consider Lou to be the best player on the team and not himself. Not sure we'd hear that from a great player either. But I could see that's just me nit picking him on this point.

3. You are correct DLo...being a professional adult is not like being a college student. In college they have set schedules because kids typically aren't responsible to develop a productive one for themselves...but when you are getting paid millions to do a job, it is a basic expectation of your employer that you will put in the work necessary to excel at the job you've been hired to do. This quote really rubbed me the wrong way...completely unprofessional and unrealistic on his part wanting to be spoon fed and told what to do.

4. Magic is THE best PG to ever play the game...if he doesn't like your game then that's a you problem. And I like that Magic speaks his mind instead of the PC non-statements that we all have come to expect. Magic doesn't have to sugar coat a damn thing when it comes to how he feels...especially for a player that needs to have instructions laid out for him. What is this...the Lego Movie?

5. You don't have a brand DLo...this is the most clueless comment of them all. That this is even on his radar given his W-L record and history over just 2 years just makes me SMH.

Magic said he needed a leader...this interview makes it pretty clear that DLo needs to be told what to do to thrive...that, by definition, is not a leader.

#BannersOverBillboards
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

Ehh interview not shocked about the passive aggressive jabs at zo and lakers organization. Best of luck in Brooklyn I can see a NVE in Denver kind of career for dlo.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

[quote="CervantesRises"]
Jordan-esque wrote:
Quote:
@wojespn

Q: When the Lakers got the #2 pick this season, you thought what?

DLO: "I didn't know. I didn't know from their mouths who they were targeting. I knew whatever happens, happens for a reason. I didn't really have a blueprint of what they have laid out for me."

Q: DeMarcus Cousins trade talks where your name was being mentioned for the first time, what was that like?"

DLO: "At that time all I heard was my name. You never expect it to happen to you. You see guys get traded all the time. I remember when Lou Williams got traded and I felt really bad because he was my guy, he was the best player in our team. I didn't expect him to get traded. They got this guy who was dominating, we weren't winning games, but he was bringing it every night. His stock was high so I saw that from their perspective. And I see him go to Houston and dominating, he should've won 6th man. Then you see James Harden get traded from Oklahoma and makes his career. So I never once look into being traded as a negative. I just have to make the best out of that too."

Q: How different is the environment between LA and Brooklyn to do your work?

DLO: "Way different. The freedom. In LA it's not like a college, where like in Brooklyn where they run things like a college where you have a schedule laid out, a time, you know what it is. I don't want to downgrade any organization. It's just different. When you're a young player from college you thrive within a structure."

Q: Magic made a comment about your leadership after you were traded, were you surprised?

DLO: "Definitely. I didn't expect it. I didn't know the reason behind it. I'm off your hands, I'm on a new team. I don't understand the comment. I still don't. He's still one of the best PG to ever play the game, and whatever he has to say is something I can run with it, just take it and run with it and make the negative into a positive, make the best thing out of it. I'm not going to go back and forth with Magic. Nothing you can do about it."

Q: Is the scrutiny in LA more different, that you get judged much more than your draft class?

DLO: "I learned right away coming in young that it's magnified. You experience and learn from it. It's all you can do. But I would never go back and changed it. I don't really care either though. I still have a brand I'm still trying to you know... at the end of the day I don't care what people say about me. The feeling is mutual. I just keep my circle small and just work hard."

Just some quick thoughts...

1. I don't think Kobe, Magic, LeBron, MJ etc...ever need or was waiting for their organization to build a blueprint for them...leaders just don't talk like that. For better or worse, leaders always have a vision for themselves independent of what anyone else thinks or wants.

2. I am disappointed that someone with DLo immense talent would consider Lou to be the best player on the team and not himself. Not sure we'd hear that from a great player either. But I could see that's just me nit picking him on this point.

3. You are correct DLo...being a professional adult is not like being a college student. In college they have set schedules because kids typically aren't responsible to develop a productive one for themselves...but when you are getting paid millions to do a job, it is a basic expectation of your employer that you will put in the work necessary to excel at the job you've been hired to do. This quote really rubbed me the wrong way...completely unprofessional and unrealistic on his part wanting to be spoon fed and told what to do.

4. Magic is THE best PG to ever play the game...if he doesn't like your game then that's you problem. And I like that Magic speaks his mind instead of the PC non-statements that we all have come to expect. Magic doesn't have to sugar coat a damn thing when it comes to how he feels...especially for a player that needs to have instructions laid out for him. What is this...the Lego Movie?

5. You don't have a brand DLo...this is the most clueless comment of them all. That this is even on his radar given his W-L record and history over just 2 years just makes me SMH.

Magic said he needed a leader...this interview makes it pretty clear that DLo needs to be told what to do to thrive...that, by definition, is not a leader.

These are valid points
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
So either he's saying he needed to be babied by the Lakers, or the Lakers just didn't provide the necessary structure and environment for a young, 19-year old player to develop and succeed. Either way, what a (bleep) mess of a relationship. Two sides that just didn't understand each other at all.

you'd have to hear the other side too to draw a conclusion, no?

Because, from what I have heard, the Lakers tried to help him. He wasn't listening much (and that's prior to the trade, not a parting shot at him)

Got benched by 2 different coaches.

Was told in exit interviews by 2 different regimes that he needed to be a better leader.

These things are not accidents...the trade may be a wake up call...but I don't think he will ever be anything more than a guy that thrives when he's being told what to do.

Seems like a nice person. No ill will. Just think he's a clueless kid, butthurt over getting traded, but who will make millions upon millions for potential he'll never fully realize.

#BannersOverBillboards
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I gotta admit, I think DLo is gonna have a really good year with Brooklyn, but the trade IMO reminds me of the time when we needed to trade Van Exel and Jones and it ended up leading us to 3 titles. Similar to that if trading Russell to unload Mozgov ends up leading us to titles with a few star FAs in the fold then I won't complain.

Let's remember the Lakers have always made sacrificing decisions through out there history but it ended up leading us to title contention.

Good point IG. The trade actually reminded me of the Miami Heat, after Wade's rookie season. The Lakers wanted Wade in the Shaq trade. Miami stuck to their guns and gave us Butler instead. At the time Butler was a second year player, and Wade only had a season under his belt. It was debatable who was the better player. Butler became a career journeymen and Wade became the 3rd or 4th best shooting guard of all-time.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
golakersgo121 wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
So either he's saying he needed to be babied by the Lakers, or the Lakers just didn't provide the necessary structure and environment for a young, 19-year old player to develop and succeed. Either way, what a (bleep) mess of a relationship. Two sides that just didn't understand each other at all.

you'd have to hear the other side too to draw a conclusion, no?

Because, from what I have heard, the Lakers tried to help him. He wasn't listening much (and that's prior to the trade, not a parting shot at him)

Got benched by 2 different coaches.

Was told in exit interviews by 2 different regimes that he needed to be a better leader.

These things are not accidents...the trade may be a wake up call...but I don't think he will ever be anything more than a guy that thrives when he's being told what to do.

Seems like a nice person. No ill will. Just think he's a clueless kid, butthurt over getting traded, but who will make millions upon millions for potential he'll never fully realize.

Plus, don't forget that Pop had an issue with him during Team USA Mini camp.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Good point IG. The trade actually reminded me of the Miami Heat, after Wade's rookie season. The Lakers wanted Wade in the Shaq trade. Miami stuck to their guns and gave us Butler instead. At the time Butler was a second year player, and Wade only had a season under his belt. It was debatable who was the better player. Butler became a career journeymen and Wade became the 3rd or 4th best shooting guard of all-time.

Russell will be good, he won't be like Butler, but the Lakers are in a prime position to own the NBA for the next 5-7 years. Brooklyn will be a playoff team at best. IMO calculating the trade for a while I think the Lakers have already done a good job with the trade, especially with Kuzma looking like a Pippen clone.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2425, 2426, 2427 ... 2871, 2872, 2873  Next
Page 2426 of 2873
Jump to: