OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2434, 2435, 2436 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Fwiw, I've followed him pretty closely, and have talked with people who have interacted with him, so my take, while speculative, is educated somewhat.

You got any anecdotes that haven't been aired already? What was the overall take of the people who interacted with him? Were they saying the same general things that Byron probably told Magic on the phone? Byron must've cut him to shreds to his old pal behind the scenes. Worthy and Fisher smiling derisively like that and Worthy going to the point of saying, "He'll learn..." seemed foreboding to me at the time. Looking back at that, it's easy to translate that as, "He'll learn when he gets dealt" more than "He's young and still has learning to do". It seemed like they all were privy to stuff that didn't even leak out.

For one, there's rumor that he blew Pelinka's agency off pretty badly when Rob was trying to represent him.

D'Lo didn't like the stories.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
55 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
55 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
DLO homer for life over here, if I can move on, so can you guys, I promise

He must have left quite an impression on you in the 2 losing years that he was here. That's remarkable!

Again, you guys need to let go, not me

Generalizing "You guys" is not very proper.
I find it interesting that someone who calls himself a Dlo homer for life can tell others to let it go. Maybe you should've let it go the day he was no longer a Laker?

Why, we can't be fans of players who aren't Lakers? What a load of hogwash. I find it interesting that you fail to grasp the very simple message justsomelakerfan stated. Basically simple. DLO is gone, you can ignore him or even dislike him, but you have no right to tell others to act the way you want to act. If he wants to be a fan for life, why the hell do you care? God complex? Let others enjoy whatever the hell they want to enjoy.

After nearly 10 years of reading your takes, you still manage to surprise me with your lack of reading comprehension

A) I don't dislike him. I think he'll be a fine player, he has a beautiful shot even when he misses. And I think he will be one of the top shooters in the league in a few years. He wasn't the right fit for what we're trying to build and I believe this trade will help us for many years down the road.

B) never told anyone they can't be a fan. Read again.

C) why should anyone ignore an ex Laker or topic of conversation. That's basically you telling me we can't discuss him but only you can.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
55 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

He must have left quite an impression on you in the 2 losing years that he was here. That's remarkable!

I find it interesting that someone who calls himself a Dlo homer for life can tell others to let it go. Maybe you should've let it go the day he was no longer a Laker?

I'm always going to be a D'Angelo homer, as a Laker or not. He was one of my favorite college prospects to ever watch and I love his game. I'm fans of players who aren't Lakers, it's just part of being an NBA fan.

I separate that from whining or complaining about his absence post-trade though. There's plenty of players on the current team for me to be excited about like Lonzo, Kuzma, Randle, Lopez, KCP & BI. I'm fine with the Lakers in a post-D'Angelo world, I'm done lamenting it.

I'm calling out people who are still finding things to (bleep) about post-trade as being unable to let go. It's silly. Why are we still finding things to criticize him for? He's gone, this is frankly what a lot of people wanted.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
55 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
55 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

I'm always going to be a D'Angelo homer, as a Laker or not. He was one of my favorite college prospects to ever watch and I love his game. I'm fans of players who aren't Lakers, it's just part of being an NBA fan.

I separate that from whining or complaining about his absence post-trade though. There's plenty of players on the current team for me to be excited about like Lonzo, Kuzma, Randle, Lopez, KCP & BI. I'm fine with the Lakers in a post-D'Angelo world, I'm done lamenting it.

I'm calling out people who are still finding things to (bleep) about post-trade as being unable to let go. It's silly. Why are we still finding things to criticize him for? He's gone, this is frankly what a lot of people wanted.

That's all that needed to be said
You were a fan of his before he was a Laker, makes sense now. I on the other hand haven't watched a single college game since the O'bannon boys won so I have no attachment to these kids as they enter the league.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Even beyond the Lakers grave he still seems to haunt.

Fascinating, isn't it?

btw any reaction to their actions over in Brooklyn. They now plan on starting Lin, Russell, and Crabbe as the 1, 2, & 3. They are guard heavy, but set up nicely for the planned style of play. I think Sean Marks deserves credit for building something out of the crap sandwich left by his predecessor. If Atkinson is as good as I think he might be, that might be a fun team to watch.

I don't know. I'm a Lakers fan so i don't follow the Nets closely!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
22 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Fwiw, I've followed him pretty closely, and have talked with people who have interacted with him, so my take, while speculative, is educated somewhat.

You got any anecdotes that haven't been aired already? What was the overall take of the people who interacted with him? Were they saying the same general things that Byron probably told Magic on the phone? Byron must've cut him to shreds to his old pal behind the scenes. Worthy and Fisher smiling derisively like that and Worthy going to the point of saying, "He'll learn..." seemed foreboding to me at the time. Looking back at that, it's easy to translate that as, "He'll learn when he gets dealt" more than "He's young and still has learning to do". It seemed like they all were privy to stuff that didn't even leak out.

For one, there's rumor that he blew Pelinka's agency off pretty badly when Rob was trying to represent him.

D'Lo didn't like the stories.

He wasn't a T Swizzle fan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JohnWick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject:

I'm still salty we traded Dlo so early. I badly wanted to see Zo and Dlo backcourt. He was trending towards a perrenial all star.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Even beyond the Lakers grave he still seems to haunt.

Fascinating, isn't it?

btw any reaction to their actions over in Brooklyn. They now plan on starting Lin, Russell, and Crabbe as the 1, 2, & 3. They are guard heavy, but set up nicely for the planned style of play. I think Sean Marks deserves credit for building something out of the crap sandwich left by his predecessor. If Atkinson is as good as I think he might be, that might be a fun team to watch.

I don't know. I'm a Lakers fan so i don't follow the Nets closely!

The undead are hot rite now, yinoma. You know this. I'd like to see the Nets at least attempt to pull off the well-behaved, affable young hard-working lads platform that Rob/Mag have installed (by force). That's a victory in itself that's not to be sneezed at. If it were easy, it would be done more often than it is.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject:

ice_cold wrote:
When the DAR trade is judged in future it probably won't be about Lonzo versus DAR, who should Lakers have kept?

But rather should they have kept both? Just the way that is the only interesting question about Harden's trade to Houston by OKC now five years down the line.'

Was selling him early to have a chance at PG13 / LeBron coming to Lakers worth it??

Of course if DAR is a total bust no one will be talking about this at all or it will just be all about kudos to Lakers ... but right now I don't expect that

He's not a bust. He's underperformed and hasn't provided quite as many flashes as you'd hope to see from a second pick, but that's not the same thing as being a bust. Not even close. The unfortunate thing about the video incident his rookie year is that he'll never quite get rid of the stink from it reputation wise unless he makes a dramatic turn as a player. He can't be an average player who puts up modest to solid numbers with outright stinkers in between, especially if the rumblings about his work ethic and negative impact on team chemistry don't come to a complete stop as well. The media isn't on his side at all. It's obvious that they chomp at the bit at every opportunity to attach his name to some negative headline. Tough road ahead of him, but he still has a chance. I hope he takes advantage of it and shuts everybody up.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
55 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Username wrote:
singlecamVTEC wrote:
I think y'all reading in too much about him not calling Lonzo by his name lol.

Good interview, and do wish him the best out there in Nets land.

You think he doesn't know Lonzo Ball's name?

"That guy, that kid"

Woj: "You mean Lonzo Ball?"

"Yeah."

just shows how immature and childish he still is.

I can see a Legion of Doom meeting with Fox, Fultz, & DLo all calling Zo 'That Kid'

Hey DLo...you're like 2 years older than 'That Kid'

I loved it when Kobe referred to Raja Bell as a "kid" though he's older than Kobe.

Kobe referred to Raja as a kid to insult and belittle him.
You think there was the same intent here? Maybe.

DLo tweeted last year, "This Lonzo kid low key nice". He knows his name, trust.

This was the only statement that made me wince. I hate the use of "brand", but that's when anyone uses it lest they actually have one.

DLO: "I don't really care either though. I still have a brand I'm still trying to you know... at the end of the day I don't care what people say about me. The feeling is mutual."

The most obnoxious thing he said on record was the postgame where Ireland asked him why he was playing better than he was 2 games prior and he replied, "I have absolutely no idea..." It was a little bit smug the way he said it, sorry yinoma2001. He hurt me, yinoma2001... Ireland tried to help him out of that and he repeated it. You should probably care to know the answer to such a question as a pro, just sayin. That preceded the "You seem up" quip. Those kinds of things give off the appearance that you're flippant and nonchalant about your craft, as does pointing out your brand. Not a good look if you have a regime change where they're demanding in clear language that they expect hard work from the kiddies (and even Julius is towing the line). It may not save Julius in the end, but he's coming from "I have a young wife and a newborn, I don't want to overturn the apple cart right now, I'd better get going." He's on a higher rung of the game of life than D'Lo is right now.

The Lou Williams thing was worth a chuckle. He doesn't know what a journeyman is. That's just a hint at DLo's "youngness".

That dlo line was probably the most revealing if you've been following him closely. Yes he does care. He cares a lot. As I've said before, I think he's extremely sensitive (and very socially awkward, almost add or spectrum-ish, or both), and the culture shock of Byron, a number of fans who didn't lime the pick, and a media circus that wanted himnto be engaging yet also wanted to play the wrong pick/struggling angle, were more than be was prepared to handle. And like a lot of immature men, he tried handling it by withdrawing, being stubborn, partying. Anything to feel in control. It's clear he was even more mentally than physically immature, and still is, but is seeming to work on both.

I figured Luke would be good for him, but Luke is more hands off and freedom, which coming out of Byron world was not what he really needed. Byron gave him structure without love, and Walton seemed to give him love without structure. He needs a dad for a coach. Maybe Atkinson will be that. Kid has a ton of talent and an assassin's moxy, so I hope he is able to get the rest on track.

You stipulate what is entirely unknowable as fact, then apply those facts to a psychological profile that is also unknowable.
So, in fairness to what we will never know, we could also suggest that Russell was a young man with an inflated sense of entitlement, who was not humble enough to take direction and lost the faith of those around him.

VLF: You are convinced that no one here at LG has actually known DLO? Expand your world a little, there are those here who do know exactly what they post about. Nothing is "unknowable".[/quote]

What I'm saying is that the author of this post doesn't claim to have anything but peripheral, third party knowledge of Russell's psyche. He then applies what is largely opinion, to form the foundation for a secondary set of theories about the young man. This seems like a stretch.

I have a great deal of respect for Mr. Little's intellect, that's why I bother to respond.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

JohnWick wrote:
I'm still salty we traded Dlo so early. I badly wanted to see Zo and Dlo backcourt. He was trending towards a perrenial all star.

This was me too - but if you want a really unique perspective on this, listen to the most recent Locked on Lakers episode with the Denver Nuggets SB Nation writer. Really fascinating stuff on how it might be better for both of these two to be separated
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
JohnWick wrote:

This was me too - but if you want a really unique perspective on this, listen to the most recent Locked on Lakers episode with the Denver Nuggets SB Nation writer. Really fascinating stuff on how it might be better for both of these two to be separated

This is where I'm going to put it: not meant to be. Would love to have seen it, and still dislike some elements of the trade, but they do have a true leader in lonzo to move forward with, and their cap space plan, and good young assets still. All told, should be a fun season. Not the one I wanted, but one I feel I will enjoy.
#StayInYoLane
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:

Can't wait till we start winning so we can finally close the book on D-lo. Dude's gone. no coming back.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

At least DLo got a rabid fanbase....he's gonna need it considering who his teammate is....
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Having played under 17s hockey I can tell you luck plays a big part in how you develop in sports. I mean there are plenty of exceptions but d lo had a bad attitude at a time when we were cleaning house. I did not want to see him go and he will become a fine player but he did the wrong thing at the wrong time more than once. I think mentally he was both very selfish and frustrated at the same time. For a good part of last year he was the oddball who stood out due to his seemingly strange behaviour. He also had horrible body language.
Jimbo was his boss and everyone had to live in kobe and Byron's shadow. In a better environment Russel might have turned out different. We will never know for sure because now the kid is a joke (for now). Whether he fails at the nets or improves people will make their own assumptions. I blame his camp for not getting him fixed in the head.
His fam let him down. He let himself down. And as always..jimbo let us all down.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
JohnWick wrote:

This is where I'm going to put it: not meant to be. Would love to have seen it, and still dislike some elements of the trade, but they do have a true leader in lonzo to move forward with, and their cap space plan, and good young assets still. All told, should be a fun season. Not the one I wanted, but one I feel I will enjoy.

Amen. Hearing Ganguli say that the Lakers didn't really consider the possibility of them playing together made me shake my head, but also provided some closure.

I don't think even DLo himself considered playing with Lonzo (RT: "Lakers would be stupid to draft Lonzo")
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Yeah at his point I just wish DLO all the best in Brooklyn. They were never going to keep him
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject:

some...interesting, comments from DLo:

Quote:
"I think guys enjoyed playing with me," Russell said. "Now I'm going to make sure they do instead of not really taking it into consideration." He dismissed worries about his off-court lifestyle. "I think it's under control, but I never thought it wasn't."

Betting on Russell was a no-brainer. He has a chance to be a star on offense. He should be able to hit 3-pointers off the dribble, crucial for drawing double-teams on the pick-and-roll that unlock everything else, and he reads the floor well. He has good size and insists he will defend better.

"I wanted to play defense in L.A.," Russell said, "but I felt like I had to score every chance I got for us to be relevant."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20221667/zach-lowe-brooklyn-nets-dangelo-russell-sean-marks-nba
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject:

He's right in that the team lacked talent and he needed to score but he shouldn't say that now when he knows he's not a Laker, it sounds like we traded away a guy who lacked focus and made excuses when the team was struggling, replacing him with Ball is like trading Silver for Gold.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject:

I guess the head scratcher for me is why scoring 15 points prevented him from playing defense.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject:

I saw that earlier on Reddit. Not a good look.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
I saw that earlier on Reddit. Not a good look.

For Russell? Obviously the Nets might be getting another Marbury, Lakers are on there way to a dynasty, the Net fans should enjoy there 2nd round exit in the future.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

Quote:
"I think guys enjoyed playing with me," Russell said. "Now I'm going to make sure they do instead of not really taking it into consideration." He dismissed worries about his off-court lifestyle. "I think it's under control, but I never thought it wasn't."

Betting on Russell was a no-brainer. He has a chance to be a star on offense. He should be able to hit 3-pointers off the dribble, crucial for drawing double-teams on the pick-and-roll that unlock everything else, and he reads the floor well. He has good size and insists he will defend better.

"I wanted to play defense in L.A.," Russell said, "but I felt like I had to score every chance I got for us to be relevant."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20221667/zach-lowe-brooklyn-nets-dangelo-russell-sean-marks-nba

That is probably one of the most stupid things he's actually said lol
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
I guess the head scratcher for me is why scoring 15 points prevented him from playing defense.

The reason could be poor conditioning.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

Quote:

I'm sure he'll do so much better on the offensive juggernaut Nets lmao
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2434, 2435, 2436 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next
Page 2435 of 2856
Jump to: