OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2463, 2464, 2465 ... 2863, 2864, 2865  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Everyone here realizes that Mitch & Jim tried to trade DLO for Cousins right? They turned us down because we wouldn't add Ingram. And every single coach on both staff hated him. And these are from many credible Lakers sources. So to blame Magic alone is ridiculous. Magic got us 10 rings as player and owner. Put some Respek in his name. Plus his Dodgers are one win away from the World Series.

Anyways, Russell would have been traded no matter who was in the front office. To just blame Magic is ridiculous. I will be repeating this fact every so often. Those with connections can ask for themselves what both coaching staff thought about Russell. Or about the Kings trade. Or just tell Magic to his face how you were right and he was wrong (sure that'll go over well, he smiles but he's a killer) 😂.

I didn't watch the game, but counting stat wise Russell had a great game. I wish he was still a Laker, but he had many people that wanted him gone. Not just Magic.

1) That's still an unsourced "report" that hasn't been corroborated.

2) Even if they were looking to trade Russell, at least it was for Cousins rather than cap space and a late-1st.

3) You really need to provide sources that "every single coach" on both coaching staffs "hated" Russell. You drinking buddies with Jud? Because that's a bold charge. We know Scott and Shaw had issues with him, but Scott and Shaw have clashed with players throughout their coaching careers. Mark Madsen hated Russell...really? Really??

Where is this narrative that every Lakers coach hated him coming from? Luke didn't empower him the way that many of us would have hoped, but that was more a function of Luke's addiction to playing everyone 25 mpg. But he never disliked him, much less hated him.

Luke after the trade:

Quote:
"It was hard for multiple reasons. Just his talent alone, he's a second-year player and he averaged like 16-6-5 this year. Then you get to know the players and you work with them day in and day out and you're sitting in there watching film and he's with your assistant coaches, so the relationship and the bold builds,” Walton told Zach Lowe. “Part of why I love coaching so much is to see the growth in young players and to see them figure stuff out.”

Quote:
“I said 'Look, I hope you end being an All-Star and come back kicking our butts. I really do.'“

Source: https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/7/13/15969124/la-lakers-trade-news-luke-walton-dangelo-russell-kicks-our-butts-lonzo-ball-magic-johnson-lowe-post
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Everyone here realizes that Mitch & Jim tried to trade DLO for Cousins right? They turned us down because we wouldn't add Ingram. And every single coach on both staff hated him. And these are from many credible Lakers sources. So to blame Magic alone is ridiculous. Magic got us 10 rings as player and owner. Put some Respek in his name. Plus his Dodgers are one win away from the World Series.

Anyways, Russell would have been traded no matter who was in the front office. To just blame Magic is ridiculous. I will be repeating this fact every so often. Those with connections can ask for themselves what both coaching staff thought about Russell. Or about the Kings trade. Or just tell Magic to his face how you were right and he was wrong (sure that'll go over well, he smiles but he's a killer) 😂.

I didn't watch the game, but counting stat wise Russell had a great game. I wish he was still a Laker, but he had many people that wanted him gone. Not just Magic.

2) Even if they were looking to trade Russell, at least it was for Cousins rather than cap space and a late-1st.

3) You really need to provide sources that "every single coach" on both coaching staffs "hated" Russell. You drinking buddies with Jud? Because that's a bold charge. We know Scott and Shaw had issues with him, but Scott and Shaw have clashed with players throughout their coaching careers. Mark Madsen hated Russell...really? Really??

Where is this narrative that every Lakers coach hated him coming from? Luke didn't empower him the way that many of us would have hoped, but that was more a function of Luke's addiction to playing everyone 25 mpg. But he never disliked him, much less hated him.

Luke after the trade:

Quote:
"It was hard for multiple reasons. Just his talent alone, he's a second-year player and he averaged like 16-6-5 this year. Then you get to know the players and you work with them day in and day out and you're sitting in there watching film and he's with your assistant coaches, so the relationship and the bold builds,” Walton told Zach Lowe. “Part of why I love coaching so much is to see the growth in young players and to see them figure stuff out.”

Quote:
“I said 'Look, I hope you end being an All-Star and come back kicking our butts. I really do.'“

Source: https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/7/13/15969124/la-lakers-trade-news-luke-walton-dangelo-russell-kicks-our-butts-lonzo-ball-magic-johnson-lowe-post

The reason I get the sense Luke hated him (or disliked him) is because of this: where would Magic get the idea that DLO "isn't a leader" if not from the guy who was around DLO the most last season? I doubt Magic would say that if someone wasn't in his ear. And from that article, note how Luke never disputed what Magic said, he just reinforced that it shouldn't be taken as a negative (lol). Additionally, Luke's actions spoke louder than his words, e.g. benching Russell after his 22/5/5 stretch after the all-star break.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject:

DLo got benched after the dumb play against 76ers right? Magic had his mind made up about DLo from his workout buddy Byron anyways. Byron even took offense to DLo praising Luke in TMZ interview before the season started.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
KBH wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Luke after the trade:

Quote:

Quote:

The reason I get the sense Luke hated him (or disliked him) is because of this: where would Magic get the idea that DLO "isn't a leader" if not from the guy who was around DLO the most last season? I doubt Magic would say that if someone wasn't in his ear. And from that article, note how Luke never disputed what Magic said, he just reinforced that it shouldn't be taken as a negative (lol). Additionally, Luke's actions spoke louder than his words, e.g. benching Russell after his 22/5/5 stretch after the all-star break.

I think you're extrapolating too much from that while ignoring who Magic is and who he's friends with. Bryon (let's not forget Byron saying he hugged Magic when he traded D'Lo), his close friend, tells him that D'Lo is immature and whatever else he said. Magic gets the top job and asks Luke about D'Lo's leadership and Luke confirms D'Lo isn't a guy that rallies the troops (which I would agree with). To Magic, who already had a tainted view of Russell because of Byron, this is a reason to get rid of him. To Luke, it's likely just a statement of fact.

Regarding the benching, I think there's sufficient evidence that Luke's roster management is strange. Luke is either strangely experimenting when the games don't matter (preseason and tanking), or rigidly attached to units (early part of the season). Julius Randle got benched as an "experiment" despite out playing the two forwards starting ahead of him in the preseason.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject:

^ Fair enough
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:

And the "he's not a leader argument" and "I need a leader" doesn't make any sense. Magic thinks Lonzo is a leader and Russell isn't a leader, so you have to trade Russell?

Truth is, this was a cap move first and foremost. We'll have to wait until next summer.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject:

Once again, per Tania Ganguli, Harrison Faigen, John Ireland, Ramona Shelburne, and some others... Mitch & Jim tried to trade DLO for Cousins. The latter two reported that everyone they've talked to on both coaching staff weren't fans of DLO's. Ireland stated that in all his years, he has never seen a player receive that much negativity from his coaches. And based on clues from his radio show, it seemed to me like he knew DLO was on the trading block for a while.

This is not an Anti-DLO post. He was my favorite player for two seasons. But I'm a Lakers fan, so I don't care what he does now. I'm just posting what I've heard from various Lakers reporters.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject:

Mitch and Jim gave MozDeng contracts to save their jobs hoping we'd sneak into 8th seed. Them trying to trade DLo for an all star in his prime just days before they got sacked isn't scandalous or anything. NBA FOs make many mistakes. Look how many teams passed on a versatile player like Kuz, OKC totally undervaluing MVP caliber player in Harden etc.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Once again, per Tania Ganguli, Harrison Faigen, John Ireland, Ramona Shelburne, and some others... Mitch & Jim tried to trade DLO for Cousins. The latter two reported that everyone they've talked to on both coaching staff weren't fans of DLO's. Ireland stated that in all his years, he has never seen a player receive that much negativity from his coaches. And based on clues from his radio show, it seemed to me like he knew DLO was on the trading block for a while.

This is not an Anti-DLO post. He was my favorite player for two seasons. But I'm a Lakers fan, so I don't care what he does now. I'm just posting what I've heard from various Lakers reporters.

I'm pretty sure people wouldn't be as bothered if D'Lo was traded for a 27-year-old All-Star who puts up 25 and 10. That's not quite the same as trading him in a salary dump for the chance to sign two All-Stars in one year.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

I'm pretty sure people wouldn't be as bothered if D'Lo was traded for a 27-year-old All-Star who puts up 25 and 10. That's not quite the same as trading him in a salary dump for the chance to sign two All-Stars in one year.

Exactly. Not a big fan of Cousins due to his short fuse, but I won't be mad at Ingram-Cousins trade either.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

I don't think there's any question that Russell was disliked within the organization. The question is how much that should matter. And if it does, and you NEED to trade him, how much you should go out of your way to let the rest of the league know that fact and consequently diminish his trade value. Significant mistakes were made by the organization in their handling of it, even in the most Front Office-friendly version of this situation.

Let's hope the guys that the organization DOES like can also, you know, play basketball, because Russell has that part down for his age and position. And that seems important.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject:

It's all DLO now, his chance or shine or not.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
It's all DLO now, his chance or shine or not.

The Lin injury is bad for Russell. Once again forces him to be the only real ball handler in the backcourt for them. Hopefully LeVert can bring some of that but this is worse for Russell, not better, IMO.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
Both FOs messed it up to an extent. Mitch and Jim crippled us by signing MozDeng to ridiculous deals. And then Magic gave away our #2 pick and best scorer at 21 in a salary dump too early.

Ball, DLo, Ingram, Kuzma and Zubac would have had us competing with Philly for the best young core. For all the criticism about Philly, they avoided giving stupid contracts and haven't been much worse than us in terms of record in last 4 years.

Oh yes the MozDeng argument.

Here's the thing. MozDeng's contracts are irrelevant if we weren't signing any big name free agents for the next 3-4 seasons, which looks like where we're headed.

At worst we were looking at a free agency some time in 2019 or so, when Moz and Deng were on the last year or so of their contracts and hopefully our young core had grown into the players we'd hope they'd be or at least a semblence of it after 2-3 seasons of further development.

The only way MozDeng get in the way of us signing big name free agents would be if one was actually willing to come to our situation, which likely wasn't going to happen given the state of our team, and currently still isn't likely to happen.

The MozDeng excuse is played out by this point.

Couldn't agree more with post.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

I agree.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

I'd love quotes from Tana and Ireland, but their words are no doubt lost to the wind. I remain skeptical, because even the article Harrison wrote about the DLo for Cousins trade rumors was skeptical.

If Russell thrives in Brooklyn and doesn't clash with the coaching staff there, I think it should raise some interesting questions about the Lakers' culture along with Russell's purported attitude. We shall see.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

I'd love quotes from Tana and Ireland, but their words are no doubt lost to the wind. I remain skeptical, because even the article Harrison wrote about the DLo for Cousins trade rumors was skeptical.

If Russell thrives in Brooklyn and doesn't clash with the coaching staff there, I think it should raise some interesting questions about the Lakers' culture along with Russell's purported attitude. We shall see.

He will be really good I feel. I agree we didn't give him the right opportunity.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

I don't think there's any question that Russell was disliked within the organization. The question is how much that should matter. And if it does, and you NEED to trade him, how much you should go out of your way to let the rest of the league know that fact and consequently diminish his trade value. Significant mistakes were made by the organization in their handling of it, even in the most Front Office-friendly version of this situation.

Let's hope the guys that the organization DOES like can also, you know, play basketball, because Russell has that part down for his age and position. And that seems important.

I agree. We are playing basketball. It's not a popularity contest. I'm sure a lot of people hated Kobe, but his greatness overcame the dislikes from front office people and teammates alike. DLO was misused quite a bit both years he was here. He has flaws everywhere (on & court), but another season would have given us a better idea. Nothing we can do now I guess.

My post are here are more about people dumping on Magic. Yes, ultimately it's on him that DLO is gone, but if Mitch & Jim we're still here, he probably would have been gone too. Too bad their trade failed & we didn't get Cousins instead.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

He will be really good I feel. I agree we didn't give him the right opportunity.

Sometimes had a feeling Luke was sabotaging DLO, when he would sit him huge periods of time for Lou or JC and then put him back in the last 4-5 min of a game.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

At least there should be a link to a podcast or radio segment or something?
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

well one thing to keep in mind is that most of those reporters are basically the FO's mouth pieces either due to being on the TWC payroll and/or to kiss up to them so they can get some exclusive leaks of info.
Not saying its completely fabricated but I definitely would not be surprised if there's alot of hyperbole in those reports.

and even so what NBA star doesnt have some degree of character issues? You can use that as an easy out to defend not liking countless players. (including Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Shaq, etc)
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

well one thing to keep in mind is that most of those reporters are basically the FO's mouth pieces either due to being on the TWC payroll and/or to kiss up to them so they can get some exclusive leaks of info.
Not saying its completely fabricated but I definitely would not be surprised if there's alot of hyperbole in those reports.

and even so what NBA star doesnt have some degree of character issues? You can use that as an easy out to defend not liking countless players. (including Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Shaq, etc)

That's why I respect Mike Trudell so much. He works for the organization, but he doesn't hold back on his man-love for DLO. I believe he took a few days off after the trade. Probably scheduled but it was funny to see them make fun of him, saying he needed those days to recover from the trade.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
DLo got benched after the dumb play against 76ers right? Magic had his mind made up about DLo from his workout buddy Byron anyways. Byron even took offense to DLo praising Luke in TMZ interview before the season started.

Yes Magic is taking notes from Byron. It is still 1984 in Lakerland.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Once again, per Tania Ganguli, Harrison Faigen, John Ireland, Ramona Shelburne, and some others... Mitch & Jim tried to trade DLO for Cousins. The latter two reported that everyone they've talked to on both coaching staff weren't fans of DLO's. Ireland stated that in all his years, he has never seen a player receive that much negativity from his coaches.

This is the harsh reality that all the Magic-bashers have been unable to come to grips with.

The trade was never about Russell's talent level. Magic said as much after the trade. Magic in fact, said, that Russell had potential All-Star talent, but that the organization needed more from him.

That's what really makes me laugh with all these "Magic made a mistake" comments - everyone in this organization saw first-hand what Russell can do on the court. Everyone in this organization also saw – what NONE OF US saw – which was who Russell is behind the scenes. We all saw on the court, in games, where Russell would look like an All-Star one night and be completely disengaged and uninterested the next night. I can only imagine what he was like behind the scenes, on a day-to-day basis, in practice, the weight room, etc.

It is clear as day to anyone who has been paying attention that almost nobody in the Lakers organization was a D'Angelo Russell fan. Two separate front offices, two separate coaching staffs, two different rosters. No tears were shed when he was traded.

That much is very clear and sometimes, to be successful in sports, it's about more than just talent. As great as a TO or Randy Moss were, they couldn't stay in one place very long before those closest to them grew tired of the act.

Who knows what the future holds for Russell. Sometimes it takes years for guys to mature and some guys never do it. Whatever the case, I think everyone involved needed a fresh start. I think both sides will be better off.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
I agree. We are playing basketball. It's not a popularity contest. I'm sure a lot of people hated Kobe, but his greatness overcame the dislikes from front office people and teammates alike. DLO was misused quite a bit both years he was here. He has flaws everywhere (on & court), but another season would have given us a better idea. Nothing we can do now I guess.

My post are here are more about people dumping on Magic. Yes, ultimately it's on him that DLO is gone, but if Mitch & Jim we're still here, he probably would have been gone too. Too bad their trade failed & we didn't get Cousins instead.

I don't think that what Mitch & Jim did or were going to do absolves Magic. It's a distinct possibility that all of them were wrong. No, there's nothing we can do about it now, but it is fair to levy criticism about the current FO's role in it. There are a lot of questionable components of this that are still relevant to the team long after Russell is gone.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2463, 2464, 2465 ... 2863, 2864, 2865  Next
Page 2464 of 2865
Jump to: