OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2466, 2467, 2468 ... 2863, 2864, 2865  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
The narrative sure is different though. Webber was praising everything Lonzo did, but DLO was consistently criticized by Reggie and co. on the broadcasts

The Okafor backlash followed by the Byron backlash as he was trying to tear down anyone he could to prop himself up.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
bonkers wrote:
The narrative sure is different though. Webber was praising everything Lonzo did, but DLO was consistently criticized by Reggie and co. on the broadcasts

The Okafor backlash followed by the Byron backlash as he was trying to tear down anyone he could to prop himself up.

I think the Byron backlash was compounded by the fact that he was an og Showtime Cartel member. He poisoned everyone within the vicinity. And for what it's worth, Reggie was a teammate of Byron's. Nothing ot see here folks...no narrative. That Byron hire is having some severe unintended ripple affects.

(bleep) that guy.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:

It's shameful. So few people care about telling the truth.
LakersAlldaWay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject:

Can I haz D'Angelo back? : (
LakersAlldaWay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject:

LakersAlldaWay wrote:
Can I haz D'Angelo back? : (

A D'Angelo Lonzo backcourt would be so dreamy. Esp with Kuzma streaking down the court. I guess Magic had to take care of business for Byron. So sad : (
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject:

The media totally bought into Magic and lavar's hype and now this team will be playing on national tv 30 times this season. No matter how Magic's buddies spin it all the warts will be very obvious to the whole world. Buckle up we might be in for a bumpy ride.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject:

Sadly, this will be a 7-8 year old festering wound that refuses to heal.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject:

Why are people defending Maglinka saying they already knew DLo was gonna be a very good player and still did the trade. If that's the case, they are the dumbest FO for giving up such a player in a salary dump this early. We have struggled to get even league average starters in last five years. Last thing a FO should do is give away a player they thought had good potential after going through crap seasons to get these players.

Magic probably thinks rules are different for him from other FOs since he's Magic and stars would line up to play for him. We will know whether he's right or under delusion next summer. Thats what they have been feeding the fanbase anyway. Whole feel around NBA has changed since Magic tookover.
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject:

now with Lin out Russell gonna average 25+ for sure
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sadly, this will be a 7-8 year old festering wound that refuses to heal.

Sh, it took Javaris Crip Crittenton MURDERING SOMEONE! before people at LG finally stopped saying that we should bring him back. I'm not even joking, it was preposterous. Russell is a 2nd overall pick. This gon' last a looooooong time.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Why are people defending Maglinka saying they already knew DLo was gonna be a very good player and still did the trade. If that's the case, they are the dumbest FO for giving up such a player in a salary dump this early. We have struggled to get even league average starters in last five years. Last thing a FO should do is give away a player they thought had good potential after going through crap seasons to get these players.

Magic probably thinks rules are different for him from other FOs since he's Magic and stars would line up to play for him. We will know whether he's right or under delusion next summer. Thats what they have been feeding the fanbase anyway. Whole feel around NBA has changed since Magic tookover.

Every team is foaming at the mouth to fleece Tragic.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
bonkers wrote:

I think the Byron backlash was compounded by the fact that he was an og Showtime Cartel member. He poisoned everyone within the vicinity. And for what it's worth, Reggie was a teammate of Byron's. Nothing ot see here folks...no narrative. That Byron hire is having some severe unintended ripple affects.

(bleep) that guy.

All of that combined with Snapchat-ghazi, which was all the data Byron-jockers in the media needed to confirm their biases. If you're a 40-50 year old talking head yammering on about "bro code," you need to step back and reevaluate your life priorities, not use it to justify piling on a 20 year old because Byron didn't think the kid "manned up" hard enough.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
Both FOs messed it up to an extent. Mitch and Jim crippled us by signing MozDeng to ridiculous deals. And then Magic gave away our #2 pick and best scorer at 21 in a salary dump too early.

Ball, DLo, Ingram, Kuzma and Zubac would have had us competing with Philly for the best young core. For all the criticism about Philly, they avoided giving stupid contracts and haven't been much worse than us in terms of record in last 4 years.

Oh yes the MozDeng argument.

Here's the thing. MozDeng's contracts are irrelevant if we weren't signing any big name free agents for the next 3-4 seasons, which looks like where we're headed.

At worst we were looking at a free agency some time in 2019 or so, when Moz and Deng were on the last year or so of their contracts and hopefully our young core had grown into the players we'd hope they'd be or at least a semblence of it after 2-3 seasons of further development.

The only way MozDeng get in the way of us signing big name free agents would be if one was actually willing to come to our situation, which likely wasn't going to happen given the state of our team, and currently still isn't likely to happen.

The MozDeng excuse is played out by this point.

Thank You

As a whole, Mitch and Jim made a lot of really stupid decisions but we're generally good on the big ones and had the team moving in the right direction overall.

Magic and Palinka make tons of really good decisions but have probably messed up on a macro level.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
this shouldnt be any surprise. DLO was progressing pretty well last year considering the team we had.
Extremely stupid move to trade him. Makes me wonder... has a player so valuable EVER been used as a pure salary dumping sweetener?

Oh I'll tell you who it will surprise. The same people who believed Byron and Luke's BS about DLO (many posters here and apparently Magic/Pelinka), and the same people who this year will say Luke is doing a fantastic job with Lonzo's development. Thank god we had someone like GT showing the statistical evidence that proved DLO was on track to become very very good despite the haters.

His analysis was spot on!!
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
KBH wrote:
Username wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Username wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Username wrote:
As to your last point, if he thrives in BKN he thrives in BKN. It would be disingenuous to take that as a slight to our organization. It's not as easy as 1 + 1 = 2. There's so many variables. Sometimes, guys just need a change of scenery.

I agree in part and disagree in part. I agree that sometimes guys just need a change of scenery, and in fact a trade can shake up a player and force him to grow up or address whatever it was that was holding him back. It had to be humiliating to get sent to the Nets in a salary dump. If it lights a fire under Russell, and he goes on to have a great career, good for him.

But I disagree that it would not speak poorly of our organization. If it happens for Russell in Brooklyn, it means that we couldn't get through to him or that we couldn't put him a position to succeed.

Not at all, it could mean exactly what you said in that very same post –– that he needed to be traded to light a fire under him. It's entirely possible that whatever he becomes with the Nets, would have never happened for him in Los Angeles. Maybe he needed that push, or wake-up call.

It's also entirely possible that Russell goes on to have a successful career and the Lakers go on to have success as a franchise, using the pieces acquired in the trade for Russell and that both sides are better off without each other.

No, it means we invested a #2 pick on him and were unable to tap his potential. If he needed a trade to reach his potential, we failed. If we couldn't provide that push/wake-up call, we failed.

You can certainly choose to look at it that way if you wish. So there's no personal accountability here? Whatever Russell does or does not do is entirely on the organization?

Russell definitely has to take accountability, but there's accountability for the FO tasked with developing their own investments. It's like a parent saying "I feed you and clothe you. What else do you want from me?" when their kid is acting up and class and bringing home poor grades. Yes, the kid is ultimately responsible for his own actions, but there's more required of the parent than the basics of boarding.

Sure, but Russell wasn't this regime's investment. They don't really have any vested interest in him personally. They inherited him and have to figure out if he fits their vision, or if they can use him as a piece to create a path toward whatever their vision is. I think we saw what that decision was.

So according to this, this is on Magic and Palinka
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
this shouldnt be any surprise. DLO was progressing pretty well last year considering the team we had.
Extremely stupid move to trade him. Makes me wonder... has a player so valuable EVER been used as a pure salary dumping sweetener?

Oh I'll tell you who it will surprise. The same people who believed Byron and Luke's BS about DLO (many posters here and apparently Magic/Pelinka), and the same people who this year will say Luke is doing a fantastic job with Lonzo's development. Thank god we had someone like GT showing the statistical evidence that proved DLO was on track to become very very good despite the haters.

I fear GT might be right about Ingram as well.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
bonkers wrote:

(bleep) that guy.

All of that combined with Snapchat-ghazi, which was all the data Byron-jockers in the media needed to confirm their biases. If you're a 40-50 year old talking head yammering on about "bro code," you need to step back and reevaluate your life priorities, not use it to justify piling on a 20 year old because Byron didn't think the kid "manned up" hard enough.

Am I mistaken in still believing that Russell didn't even leak that vid himself?
yanuary
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

MozDeng - it was horrible mistake, but still we were able to start this season with DLO-Butler-PG13 (fight right now) or DLO-Ball-Ingram (be patient). Now we are nowhere.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
bonkers wrote:

(bleep) that guy.

Am I mistaken in still believing that Russell didn't even leak that vid himself?

My understanding is that is correct - he shared it with someone who unbeknownst to him then took it to a gossip site.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
bonkers wrote:

(bleep) that guy.

My understanding is that is correct - he shared it with someone who unbeknownst to him then took it to a gossip site.

That pretty much was the end of his Lakers career. My goodness.
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

yanuary wrote:
MozDeng - it was horrible mistake, but still we were able to start this season with DLO-Butler-PG13 (fight right now) or DLO-Ball-Ingram (be patient). Now we are nowhere.

I personally prefer Dlo-Ball-PG13 (2 kids and 1 vet) but the fact remains it was nearly impossible to muck up this situation after they won the 2nd pick in the lottery but somehow they still found a way to screw it up.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
foshowtime wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

I fear GT might be right about Ingram as well.

Scary
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject:

daytripper wrote:
yanuary wrote:

I personally prefer Dlo-Ball-PG13 (2 kids and 1 vet) but the fact remains it was nearly impossible to muck up this situation after they won the 2nd pick in the lottery but somehow they still found a way to screw it up.

Agreed. I thought about all the different combinations and how it was almost foolproof for us to have a good foundation.

DLO/BI/BALL or Jackson or Fox or Cults

However, I underestimated how big of a fool would enter into our lives and now I have to stream Bklyn games painfully
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject:

DLO struggling a bit without Lin. It's really good to have another Ball handler with him
JeffreyRashad
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject:

I'm a lifelong Lakers fan and I will be for life. But I will never forgive the Lakers for the D'Angelo Russell trade. Easily the worst trade in Lakers history and might go down as one of the worst in sports history
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2466, 2467, 2468 ... 2863, 2864, 2865  Next
Page 2467 of 2865
Jump to: