OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2474, 2475, 2476 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Magic is the one calling the shots still. And there's a news that Byron hugged him after DLo trade. They meet everyday as workout buddies. Let's not suddenly act like whole league is bothered about a kid when pics say otherwise.

I'm not surprised, heard something similar.

When the state of the front office relies on word of mouth advice from Byron Scott fml.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Magic is the one calling the shots still. And there's a news that Byron hugged him after DLo trade. They meet everyday as workout buddies. Let's not suddenly act like whole league is bothered about a kid when pics say otherwise.

You're referencing literally a picture or two. And them talking in the gym doesn't mean they really like his game and want to play with him - Snapchat incident aside
He has a couple young best buds in the league, Towns/Booker
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
tox wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Eh.. I like Russell, but I don't think he's going to be great...and I also don't think his rep around the league with players is good - his game isn't eye-testy(players love Jamal Crawford still, lol) and the phone incident.....
he's going to be a 19/7 guy in his prime.. is he ever going to be a high 30s 3pt shooter? Ever going to be a plus defender, especially next to Lonzo?
Eh

He's gunna be legit good, but I really don't think players in the NBA love his game, nor DLo the person.. Think this was a big factor for Pelinka - I don't doubt he got some scoop from Kobe on what other players think, as well as himself.

Brook looks really good to me as well, could re-sign

He's got a good shot to hit those numbers this year at age 21.

I really don't think he has a lot of room to grow scoring the ball, it's dependent on his shooting and I haven't seen much improvement there since OSU. Passing he can still improve, I wouldn't doubt he hit 9apg, I'm high on him as a passer
And he's also getting these numbers on the most talent deprived teams in the league, he's all BK has right now, their roster is sad

Couldn't disagree more, 19 ppg is underselling his scoring potential. Mike Conley averaged 20.5 ppg last season. Russell can top that even without his shooting breaking out to be elite. And if his shooting ever does become truly elite (which is possible, though perhaps unlikely)... well 25+ isn't out of the question.

Agreed. Just watching highlights of his game and not only is he more comfortable running the offense, but he's hitting the one shot that unlocks his entire offensive game, the pull up midrange jumper.

He looks like Ohio St. Russell.

I'm really annoyed how wing heavy the Nets are, especially with DAR leading, Dinwiddie is a solid combo guard that has some vision, and Caris LeVert.

All that being said, I think it REALLY helped that DAR got to "start over" and forge relationships with new teammates; set new first impressions.

All of DLO's new teammates have spoken very highly of him and they hang out a bunch off the court as well. If Jeremy Lin thinks you're a good dude, I'm inclined to believe him

I've always stuck up for DLo's character and work ethic, of course players who are already on the team with him will like him --- I question NBA free agents liking him, his game in particular
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

You're referencing literally a picture or two. And them talking in the gym doesn't mean they really like his game and want to play with him - Snapchat incident aside

What's there to really hate/dislike about his game if you are high on him as a passer? I doubt any all star vets really care about playing with young guys unless they are the real deal right away like Towns. Most would prefer to play with an all star instead like Lebron did with Love/Wiggins. But don't see any smart FOs dumping a talent like DLo as a salary dump.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Eh.. I like Russell, but I don't think he's going to be great...and I also don't think his rep around the league with players is good - his game isn't eye-testy(players love Jamal Crawford still, lol) and the phone incident.....
he's going to be a 19/7 guy in his prime.. is he ever going to be a high 30s 3pt shooter? Ever going to be a plus defender, especially next to Lonzo?
Eh

He's gunna be legit good, but I really don't think players in the NBA love his game, nor DLo the person.. Think this was a big factor for Pelinka - I don't doubt he got some scoop from Kobe on what other players think, as well as himself.

He's got a good shot to hit those numbers this year at age 21.

I really don't think he has a lot of room to grow scoring the ball, it's dependent on his shooting and I haven't seen much improvement there since OSU. Passing he can still improve, I wouldn't doubt he hit 9apg, I'm high on him as a passer
And he's also getting these numbers on the most talent deprived teams in the league, he's all BK has right now, their roster is sad

I think in three games in an offense with better spacing he's been more successful attacking the basket (with a slicker handle), which will hopefully up his 2P% this season. That's improvement right there. And I do still have faith he can gain greater efficiency from three over time - a guard like Kemba Walker isn't such an outlier.

We'll see how DLo does, but I think he's a steady improvement guy rather than a big jump guy, and given that he's 4-5 years from starting his peak, I think steady improvement will get him to at least near All-Star level barring injury.

Also, I have no idea how popular he is with established NBA guys, but he is boys with the Monteverde crew, KAT, and DBook. He seems reasonably popular with his peers, so by the time he's 28, I don't think he'll have a lack of suitors - teams and players - when he hits unrestricted free agency. Again, we'll see.

Ya I was just going to say, he does look improved going to the rim - and it's always been tough to judge his capability and athleticism there because he's been banged up..
You guys think he lands at 21-23 ppg, I say 19-20. We're all not worlds apart here. I think he'll be a very good player.. But not great , or necessarily compatible with Lonzo
All of my statements here are pretty open ended, rest of you guys in this thread.. lol. Just have questions that his game needs to answer
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

What's there to really hate/dislike about his game if you are high on him as a passer? I doubt any all star vets really care about playing with young guys unless they are the real deal right away like Towns. Most would prefer to play with an all star instead like Lebron did with Love/Wiggins. But don't see any smart FOs dumping a talent like DLo as a salary dump.

Ya I see it both ways... See why we should have kept him, and also why we traded him (other teams aren't afforded the dreams of signing max FAs). It looks like it's going to play out like the FO was wrong , timing isn't matching up -- Ingram isn't ready to lure FA's (FO thought he was).. and our squad is going to be worse record wise than what they thought. But it's the previous FO that put them in the position to have to trade DLo....... both FO's sucked horrrrribly in recent years
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Ya I was just going to say, he does look improved going to the rim - and it's always been tough to judge his capability and athleticism there because he's been banged up..
You guys think he lands at 21-23 ppg, I say 19-20. We're all not worlds apart here. I think he'll be a very good player.. But not great , or necessarily compatible with Lonzo
All of my statements here are pretty open ended, rest of you guys in this thread.. lol. Just have questions that his game needs to answer

No worries, I question if he'll be great, as well, even if he does average 21ppg.

I do disagree that he wouldn't be compatible with Lonzo on the court except in filling the wings on fastbreaks.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

No worries, I question if he'll be great, as well, even if he does average 21ppg.

I do disagree that he wouldn't be compatible with Lonzo on the court except in filling the wings on fastbreaks.

I saw some clips of some pretty good craft going to the rim this year, he looks a bit more athletic and able to drive too. Especially his game vs. the Magic, really looked like he made some strides here:

Confident, healthy & firing on all cylinders I think this year is his breakout year at 18-20ppg/5reb/6 assists. How much better he is after that? Could see him peaking shortly after, maybe hitting some Kemba Walker or Kyle Lowry numbers in a year or few - that's where I've always thought he'd land. Not his ceiling, but a likely outcome.

Just a crazy player to give up on after this year. Fit with Lonzo like a glove.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject:

He has DMC and Lin on the roster that fit in with and already knew what Atkinson wanted to run on offense.

When he was in LA, he had Lou and sometimes Nick who didn't always run the offense they were supposed to.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Ya that's where I question it, and defensively. On breaks DLo would be the secondary playmaker getting a hit-ahead --- but do we have enough finishers after that, to capitalize?
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8L2xRdFNBw

Atkinson is a master of both Popovich's style AND D'Antoni's style, you can see the wrinkles of both here. LeVert also starting to come into his own a little.

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lonzo and Dlo could have been the best backcourt in a few years.

Yep.

I've been telling friends they would have been the best backcourt in 3-4 years.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
tnell wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
tnell wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Eh

Lol

I don't see what's not plausible

Nah I was laughing at the part about players around the league not liking him and Kobe giving Pelinka the scoop.

I mean, Pelinka says he and Kobe talk everyday - you don't think Pelinka gets as much info out of Kobe as possible? Kobe and players not liking DLo is my theory ya - just based on players being so eye-testy, as well as the phone incident

I'd say it's a weak theory considering Kobe himself was not known for socializing with players and most in the media said big players didn't want to play with him. I doubt he all of a sudden started taking a survey on DLo when he has other important things to do with his family life and business. DLO is actually the opposite of Kobe and known to get close to players.

Kobe never had a negative thing to say about D'Lo. I don't know where you're getting that Kobe didn't like him. And Kobe has never been one to mince words. The D'Lo trade is 100% a Magic move, who is Rob's boss.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

D'Lo was working out with Randle (post-trade) and Wade among others. The notion that he is toxic and hated in the league is a narrative which doesn't align with his relationships in the league.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
MJST wrote:

Atkinson is a master of both Popovich's style AND D'Antoni's style, you can see the wrinkles of both here. LeVert also starting to come into his own a little.

yinoma2001 wrote:

Yep.

Need a 20ppg wing scorer this year? Check.

Could theoretically have D’Lonzo attract 1 max like Pg13 instead of needing 2 max.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KBH wrote:
MJST wrote:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Yep.

Need a 20ppg wing scorer this year? Check.

Could theoretically have D’Lonzo attract 1 max like Pg13 instead of needing 2 max.

I've been defending DLO relentless and 3 months ago was possibly the worst trade for an LA franchise ever. No one knew Pedro was going to be a top 3 pitcher of all time. We ALL knew DLO had this potential and what was he traded for? Cap space and an overrated "all star". (bleep) this management.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject:

I mean I can't even say that Lopez has outplayed DLO or anything to pretend to feel better, you know?
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
I mean I can't even say that Lopez has outplayed DLO or anything to pretend to feel better, you know?

Don't have to pretend anything. A bunch of us saw this coming months ago. People are so bitter about DLO they will never admit the FO made a mistake.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Don't have to pretend anything. A bunch of us saw this coming months ago. People are so bitter about DLO they will never admit the FO made a mistake.

Yeah I know. I just wish I could at least pretend that Brook Lopez has been really good and made the trade worth it for at least this year.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Weren't we supposed to defend better with DLo gone for KCP? And we had a 10-10 start last year before injuries beating GSW, Rockets etc.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
nickuku wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Yeah I know. I just wish I could at least pretend that Brook Lopez has been really good and made the trade worth it for at least this year.

I would feel better if it was a 25 year old Brook with 2 more years in his deal. He’s turning 30, isn’t a max player and is a UFA.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject:

3 games 24/6/3/2 spg. More importantly his team is 2-1.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

to be fair, nets have nice young pieces that likes to defend. far contrast with the lakers. levert, rhj, jarrett, and russell are nice young pieces for the nets. they are also in east conference.

Last edited by ryan_c on Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject:

ryan_c wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

to be fair, nets have nice young pieces that likes to defend. far contrast with the lakers. levert, rhj, jarrett, and russell are nice young pieces for the lakers. they are also in east conference.

Its embarrassing to even say they're in a close position to us give their limitations in the past 4-5 years.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

nor his shooting form and whatnot.

nah you gotta go to jail for this take sir

MODS...DO YA THANG
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
nickuku wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

I would feel better if it was a 25 year old Brook with 2 more years in his deal. He’s turning 30, isn’t a max player and is a UFA.

Brook is slow and a defensive liability. I doubt he starts for a .500 team. Will probably play 10-15 mins as a stretch 5. Even we looked way better when Randle was hustling in the 2nd half and allowed us to play fast paced game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2474, 2475, 2476 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next
Page 2475 of 2856
Jump to: