OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2891, 2892, 2893 ... 2896, 2897, 2898  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject:

People act like DLo is the only person in the world who ever has bad games in a playoff series:

Darius Garland - making > 30M was 3/13
Suggs - everyone’s favorite nobody was 2/13
Tyler Hero - also making > 30M was 6/19
France Wagner - 1/15
Bradly Beal - making how much? 4/13

The list goes on and on. If it was up to some Laker fans there would be a revolving door of never ending players that are hated and pushed out the door. No wonder we never have continuity.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 8:19 pm    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
People act like DLo is the only person in the world who ever has bad games in a playoff series:

France Wagner - 1/15

The list goes on and on. If it was up to some Laker fans there would be a revolving door of never ending players that are hated and pushed out the door. No wonder we never have continuity.

SERIES numbers:

2019 Philly: 19/4/4 on 36/32/85.

This was his "great" year that he led the team to the playoffs, btw. That year was overrated, BTW. He had full months of big slumps that season. That team was a young, balanced team that had a lot of nice role players on it.

By contrast, Caris LeVert put up 21/5/3 on 49/46/72. Took twice as many FT attempts, btw.

2022 Memphis: 12/3/7 on 33/39/75.

He was the big move Min made. They gave up Wiggins AND a pick to get him. That move won a ring... for the Warriors.

By contrast, ANT put up 25/4/3 on 46/40/82 and KAT put up 22/11/2 on 49/46/86.

2023 Nuggets: 6/2/4 on 32/13/75.

Last year. What a disaster of a performance.

I'm too lazy to put up the stats of everyone who played well. But let's just say LeBron, AD, AR, and Rui all put up REALLY good numbers.

2024 Nuggets: 14/3/4 on 38/32/50.

It big improvement from last season, but still not good enough.

It just happened. We know the deal. AD and LeBron played great, while every one else was sub-par. AR got volume numbers up at the end, but his efficiency was still way down from last. He was really bad from 3.

He's just... not that guy. He's going to reach a brick wall every time he runs into a really good team. His only 2 solid playoff series were the first 2 rounds last season. And, I honestly think those teams were non-elite, severely weakened teams.

Relying on THIS guy to be the 3rd option? Nah.

He needs to not be relied upon like he is. The Lakers, as constructed are going to lose every time he's bad because he's the 3rd option. This season took a nosedive in Dec where the Lakers went on a big losing streak that coincided with a DLo slump.

If the Lakers build a team where they can handle his slumps, then by all means keep him.

I actually think the Lakers may have to do that because I think AR has siginifcantly more trade value and he may be the only guy that gets the Lakers the upgrades they need.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
kfkilla wrote:

France Wagner - 1/15

SERIES numbers:

2019 Philly: 19/4/4 on 36/32/85.

This was his "great" year that he led the team to the playoffs, btw. That year was overrated, BTW. He had full months of big slumps that season. That team was a young, balanced team that had a lot of nice role players on it.

By contrast, Caris LeVert put up 21/5/3 on 49/46/72. Took twice as many FT attempts, btw.

2022 Memphis: 12/3/7 on 33/39/75.

He was the big move Min made. They gave up Wiggins AND a pick to get him. That move won a ring... for the Warriors.

By contrast, ANT put up 25/4/3 on 46/40/82 and KAT put up 22/11/2 on 49/46/86.

2023 Nuggets: 6/2/4 on 32/13/75.

Last year. What a disaster of a performance.

I'm too lazy to put up the stats of everyone who played well. But let's just say LeBron, AD, AR, and Rui all put up REALLY good numbers.

2024 Nuggets: 14/3/4 on 38/32/50.

It big improvement from last season, but still not good enough.

It just happened. We know the deal. AD and LeBron played great, while every one else was sub-par. AR got volume numbers up at the end, but his efficiency was still way down from last. He was really bad from 3.

He's just... not that guy. He's going to reach a brick wall every time he runs into a really good team. His only 2 solid playoff series were the first 2 rounds last season. And, I honestly think those teams were non-elite, severely weakened teams.

Relying on THIS guy to be the 3rd option? Nah.

He needs to not be relied upon like he is. The Lakers, as constructed are going to lose every time he's bad because he's the 3rd option. This season took a nosedive in Dec where the Lakers went on a big losing streak that coincided with a DLo slump.

If the Lakers build a team where they can handle his slumps, then by all means keep him.

I actually think the Lakers may have to do that because I think AR has siginifcantly more trade value and he may be the only guy that gets the Lakers the upgrades they need.

Dlo is one of the best 3rd options in the NBA, especially considering the value of production/cost. Having a Dlo type 3rd option allowed the team to also have AR/Rui/Vincent/Vando/Prince as non-vet min players. I don’t think the team will improve moving away from Dlo. Unless the org improves on roster construction tho I don’t think it matters. Expect Dlo and LBJ to walk for nothing this summer leaving less than enough cap space to add a max. The team will have about $30mil to replace LBJ (will be spread out among bench players) and a MLE to replace Dlo = lottery.

Expected starters
AD
Rui
Vando
AR
Vincent
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:39 am    Post subject:

DLO is not a consistent 3rd option. I think he's a very good 4th scoring option with the caveat that he seems to need the ball to be in a scoring rhythm. DLO had 2 good games and 3 bad games. He's also paid $17M which is a bargain. Think about what Rui gets you and it's the same amount.

I used to be more bullish on the AR/DLO combo but I thought AR would take a bigger leap in Year 3. The current production from those two doesn't outweigh the defensive limitations.

I think the realized version of Max Christie would be perfect next to DLO (and AR as a super 6th man) but I'm not sure about the 20 y/o version.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 2:46 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
DLO is not a consistent 3rd option. I think he's a very good 4th scoring option with the caveat that he seems to need the ball to be in a scoring rhythm. DLO had 2 good games and 3 bad games. He's also paid $17M which is a bargain. Think about what Rui gets you and it's the same amount.

I used to be more bullish on the AR/DLO combo but I thought AR would take a bigger leap in Year 3. The current production from those two doesn't outweigh the defensive limitations.

I think the realized version of Max Christie would be perfect next to DLO (and AR as a super 6th man) but I'm not sure about the 20 y/o version.

Considering the numbers DLO put up as a starter all season, I don't know what more they want to cal a 3rd option "consistent" is 18/6 on 45% from the field and 42% from three on high volume(number 1 in the league in that regard) not consistent in todays NBA or something?

I agree with the notion that Christie is a perfect fit next to DLO. That was a similar idea Ham had that worked for a small time, but he didn't want to use Christie, he used Reddish. Once Reddish lost his step, and showed who he was, Ham should have switched to Christie. Defensive 3 point shooting long/lanky 2 next to DLO and Reaves as super 6th man works extremely well as that was when we had our best stats of the season during that short period.

Hanging from Rafters wrote:

Dlo is one of the best 3rd options in the NBA, especially considering the value of production/cost. Having a Dlo type 3rd option allowed the team to also have AR/Rui/Vincent/Vando/Prince as non-vet min players. I don’t think the team will improve moving away from Dlo. Unless the org improves on roster construction tho I don’t think it matters. Expect Dlo and LBJ to walk for nothing this summer leaving less than enough cap space to add a max. The team will have about $30mil to replace LBJ (will be spread out among bench players) and a MLE to replace Dlo = lottery.

Expected starters
AD
Rui
Vando
AR
Vincent

This. I don't think people really get that only elite 3rd options average 18 as one on high efficiency.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 4:09 am    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:

France Wagner - 1/15

Well...the thing is we didn't have continuity even after winning the championship. We traded away players even after they've helped us win a championship so trading away DLo is very standard for the Lakers.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:07 am    Post subject:

Orlando got awful guards. They can use someone like DLO
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:36 am    Post subject:

I DLO leaves and/or if AR is traded, I think Christie is elevated to a starter as a combo guard. We may not have a lot of other options.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:30 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
Orlando got awful guards. They can use someone like DLO

Fultz was supposed to be a better version of DLO. Ironic if they had to upgrade from him by getting the actual DLO.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
tox wrote:

Considering the numbers DLO put up as a starter all season, I don't know what more they want to cal a 3rd option "consistent" is 18/6 on 45% from the field and 42% from three on high volume(number 1 in the league in that regard) not consistent in todays NBA or something?

I agree with the notion that Christie is a perfect fit next to DLO. That was a similar idea Ham had that worked for a small time, but he didn't want to use Christie, he used Reddish. Once Reddish lost his step, and showed who he was, Ham should have switched to Christie. Defensive 3 point shooting long/lanky 2 next to DLO and Reaves as super 6th man works extremely well as that was when we had our best stats of the season during that short period.

Expected starters
AD
Rui
Vando
AR
Vincent

This. I don't think people really get that only elite 3rd options average 18 as one on high efficiency.

No one's denying Russell is a strong regular season player. Don't think anyone cares about that, so much as him putting up 0 points in a playoffs series
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 3:09 pm    Post subject:

btw Russell has shown me he's not "mentally weak" or any (bleep) like that. He's just streaky. I can see him having a great 2025 postseason. Or maybe not
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 3:42 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
btw Russell has shown me he's not "mentally weak" or any (bleep) like that. He's just streaky. I can see him having a great 2025 postseason. Or maybe not

Let's look at a player that's far more inconsistent than DLO.

Gabe Vincent is a lesser player than DLO, we all know this. But what happened when he's paired with a good Coach like Spo who took advantage of the heaters he was on and got him in positions to succeed and maximize it? He became the difference maker in some of those rounds getting the Heat to the finals, eventhough he wasn't the main one, because that was Jimmy, Spo knew how to maximize when Gabe was on and also when he wasn't.

A great Coach understands that and keeps going to you, Ham on the other hand would often go away from what was working to the point players/shooters would cool down, and we'd often go away from what works till it was too late. Not only did DLO suffer from this, but so did AD. Game 2 is a prime example of that. DLO and AD are both on a heater, they stop getting the ball from the middle of the 3rd through the majority of the 4th quarter, and AD only has one field goal in that 4th quarter of a game he was on fire. This is what a terrible Coach does vs what a Great Coach does.

DLO being consistent in the season and call it streaky in the post season is fine if you have a Coach that maximizes those games and can continue going to him in those games so we can take full advantage. Not watch him or AD be on fire for a half and then decide "lets stop doing that now" later on and allow teams back into the game.

DLO is a great 3rd option, what we need however is a Coach that knows precisely how to take advantage when he's on fire, especially in a Playoff setting. Because had Ham been a better Coach, we'd have been going back to LA only down 3-2 with a chance to take it to 7, or up 3-1 going to Denver with 3 opportunities to close out the series.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 4:21 pm    Post subject:

DLo is who he is at this point. Scores 0 pts one game, scores 20 on the next. That’s DLo. But he helps us navigate the regular season, and at 18m in todays NBA, can’t hate on that much.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:00 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
tox wrote:

Gabe Vincent is a lesser player than DLO, we all know this. But what happened when he's paired with a good Coach like Spo who took advantage of the heaters he was on and got him in positions to succeed and maximize it? He became the difference maker in some of those rounds getting the Heat to the finals, eventhough he wasn't the main one, because that was Jimmy, Spo knew how to maximize when Gabe was on and also when he wasn't.

A great Coach understands that and keeps going to you, Ham on the other hand would often go away from what was working to the point players/shooters would cool down, and we'd often go away from what works till it was too late. Not only did DLO suffer from this, but so did AD. Game 2 is a prime example of that. DLO and AD are both on a heater, they stop getting the ball from the middle of the 3rd through the majority of the 4th quarter, and AD only has one field goal in that 4th quarter of a game he was on fire. This is what a terrible Coach does vs what a Great Coach does.

DLO being consistent in the season and call it streaky in the post season is fine if you have a Coach that maximizes those games and can continue going to him in those games so we can take full advantage. Not watch him or AD be on fire for a half and then decide "lets stop doing that now" later on and allow teams back into the game.

DLO is a great 3rd option, what we need however is a Coach that knows precisely how to take advantage when he's on fire, especially in a Playoff setting. Because had Ham been a better Coach, we'd have been going back to LA only down 3-2 with a chance to take it to 7, or up 3-1 going to Denver with 3 opportunities to close out the series.

I don't think it's just a coaching thing, you also need a roster that can cover when DLO has a bad game. This is where I hoped Reaves would be able to take a leap and he largely didn't.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:05 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
DLo is who he is at this point. Scores 0 pts one game, scores 20 on the next. That’s DLo. But he helps us navigate the regular season, and at 18m in todays NBA, can’t hate on that much.

When you are trying to capitalize on LeBron’s final years you can’t just say he helps us in the regular season and that his salary is a bonus, he just doesn’t fit on what we’re trying to accomplish, on the Spurs or Bulls he would be a very good piece in helping them compete
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:52 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
MJST wrote:
tox wrote:

I don't think it's just a coaching thing, you also need a roster that can cover when DLO has a bad game. This is where I hoped Reaves would be able to take a leap and he largely didn't.

I think Reaves did what he could, but the true letdown was Rui. He's supposed to be able to put up 15-18 when Reaves or DLO are having a bad game or off night. He just never showed up, on offense or defense.

Inspector Gadget wrote:

When you are trying to capitalize on LeBron’s final years

You need the third option in DLO that puts up 18/6 on 45% shooting and 42% from three on high volume and is willing to do it for 18-22M a year because you need flexibility or the team won't compete at all in LeBron's final years and it keeps us from being a lottery team.

Last edited by MJST on Mon May 06, 2024 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

When you are trying to capitalize on LeBron’s final years you can’t just say he helps us in the regular season and that his salary is a bonus, he just doesn’t fit on what we’re trying to accomplish, on the Spurs or Bulls he would be a very good piece in helping them compete

In terms of production Dlo is one of the better 3rd options in the league. Factoring in his cost, he might be the best in terms of value. His contract allows the Lakers to have two $40m players yet still have all non-vet min starters plus three more non-vet min reserves for a total of 8 non vet mins, (LBJ/AD/Dlo/Rui/AR/Vincent/Vando/Prince). In contrast, with Westbrook, they had Nunn/Walker and those 5 were it.

Many 3rd options make $25m-$30m and have the type of bad games Dlo has but few of them have 44pt games, multiple 30pt games, and lead the team in scoring in as many games as Dlo does for the Lakers. For some reason this guy gets too much grief and isn’t appreciated enough for his role on the team. With better coaching - (pre-game prep/adjustments in game/use of time outs/rotations/end game schemes), or better roster - (big C/backcourt 3&D), this team as is could compete. Fix both coaching and roster and it looks like they could be a favorite.

It’s simple, add Budenholzer, big rebounding C, 3&D guard, and run it back with the starters.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 6:13 pm    Post subject:

You guys aren't comprehending how much better MPJ was than DLo.

He averaged 23 PTS and 8 Rebs on 55/49/77.

DLo put up 14/3/4 on 38/32/50.

While he played like a star, DLo regressed. He's done this in EVERY postseason he's played in.

You expect LeBron and AD to outplay a team with the best star AND a better supporting cast?

Are you guys actually serious here?

When the goal is to win in the playoffs, you can't rely on a guy who shrinks like he does.

Again, he's slumped in EVERY postseason he's ever played in.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
You guys aren't comprehending how much better MPJ was than DLo.

He averaged 23 PTS and 8 Rebs on 55/49/77.

DLo put up 14/3/4 on 38/32/50.

While he played like a star, DLo regressed. He's done this in EVERY postseason he's played in.

You expect LeBron and AD to outplay a team with the best star AND a better supporting cast?

Are you guys actually serious here?

When the goal is to win in the playoffs, you can't rely on a guy who shrinks like he does.

Again, he's slumped in EVERY postseason he's ever played in.

He's VERY consistent in the Regular Season though and is clearly a great 3rd option.. He might also consistently fall apart in the Playoffs his entire Career but again he's a damn good regular Season player!
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:31 pm    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:

France Wagner - 1/15

I know right.. Laker fans should be celebrating his 0 pts vs the Nuggets.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

In terms of production Dlo is one of the better 3rd options in the league. Factoring in his cost, he might be the best in terms of value. His contract allows the Lakers to have two $40m players yet still have all non-vet min starters plus three more non-vet min reserves for a total of 8 non vet mins, (LBJ/AD/Dlo/Rui/AR/Vincent/Vando/Prince). In contrast, with Westbrook, they had Nunn/Walker and those 5 were it.

Many 3rd options make $25m-$30m and have the type of bad games Dlo has but few of them have 44pt games, multiple 30pt games, and lead the team in scoring in as many games as Dlo does for the Lakers. For some reason this guy gets too much grief and isn’t appreciated enough for his role on the team. With better coaching - (pre-game prep/adjustments in game/use of time outs/rotations/end game schemes), or better roster - (big C/backcourt 3&D), this team as is could compete. Fix both coaching and roster and it looks like they could be a favorite.

It’s simple, add Budenholzer, big rebounding C, 3&D guard, and run it back with the starters.

I feel like if you actually went down a list of all the good teams in the nba you would find Dlo is not even close to this statement. Especially when you factor in defense.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

I feel like if you actually went down a list of all the good teams in the nba you would find Dlo is not even close to this statement. Especially when you factor in defense.

Don’t just “feel like”, do it, I did, that’s why I said it.

Looking at the 16 playoff teams only Porzingis/Beal/Mccollum/Bam score more as 3rd leading scorer on a team and all are around 18-21 ppg. They aren’t close in salaries tho. Dlo also appears in the top 20 in a major category…assists…whereas only Porzingis in blocks and Bam in rebounds also are in the top 20.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Mon May 06, 2024 9:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

I feel like if you actually went down a list of all the good teams in the nba you would find Dlo is not even close to this statement.

Go look at all 3rd options making $18-$20M a year please.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:22 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Ksig wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

I feel like if you actually went down a list of all the good teams in the nba you would find Dlo is not even close to this statement.

Go look at all 3rd options making $18-$20M a year please.

Thank you!!! That makes it a slam dunk but you don’t even have to limit it to salary, look at all 16 playoff team’s 3rd option. Dlo is 5th in scoring plus top 20 in assists putting him above Beal/McCollum making Dlo the 3rd best 3rd option among playoff teams. Bam and Porzingis are top 20 in rebounds and blocks respectively.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
kfkilla wrote:

France Wagner - 1/15

I know right.. Laker fans should be celebrating his 0 pts vs the Nuggets.

Welp you go find this magical 3rd option player that can score better ANND BIG AND not GUT your bench...we will wait here while you find him?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2891, 2892, 2893 ... 2896, 2897, 2898  Next
Page 2892 of 2898
Jump to: