OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2893, 2894, 2895, 2896, 2897, 2898  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Just so it's clear, I think the Lakers have to resign DLO, or sign and trade him. Not doing so would be the loss of an asset that will be difficult to replace. But I don't believe in DLO and Reaves as a pairing. I'm fine with one being a sixth man, or in trading one to upgrade the other position. I don't mind what either of those guys brings to the team though, I just don't think they are a great fit because they are both unathletic and defensively limited.

Reaves outperformed his salary this season. Bringing him back at that salary next season or really anything under $22m or so would be a bargain imo. He's streaky. He has his flaws. But he's a sharpshooter, and a decent playmaker. Even at his worst, he's a floor spacer. But the problem with shooters, is they are inconsistent. And when DLO is not shooting well, he often becomes unaggressive. In those games, because he isn't a great defender, it limits his impact substantially. That's why his current contract is closer to his actual value than his previous one. It's also why teams won't be rushing to sign or trade for him. He's still a quality player.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Ksig wrote:
MJST wrote:
Ksig wrote:
Ksig wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
The problem with that list MJST is that a lot of those guys, yeah their numbers may not be that much better than DLOs, but they are better defenders. For Bam and Turner defense is their best attribute.

The problem is their DLO homerism blinds them and they think hes not a bad defender. DLO can do no wrong

Quite the opposite, we’re looking at stats and you’re going off feelings. Sometimes feelings are right, I get that, Turner is more valuable even tho he scores less and doesn’t shoot as well from 3pt. Dlo does have top 20 assists to compare with Turners’ top 20 blocks but overall we all feel Turner is a better 3rd option and that is a valid opinion most would agree on.

The point is that Dlo produces…”In terms of production”…as well as other 3rd options yet cost substantially less than most. Something he doesn’t get credit for.

“Ad hominem (Latin for 'to the person'), short for argumentum ad hominem, refers to several types of arguments that are fallacious. Typically this term refers to a rhetorical strategy where the speaker attacks the character, motive, or some other attribute of the person making an argument rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself.”

I feel like all the stats are out there.

1. We’re looking at stats and you’re going off feelings

2. Turner is more valuable even tho he scores less and doesn’t shoot as well from 3pt. Dlo does have top 20 assists to compare with Turners’ top 20 blocks but overall we all feel Turner is a better 3rd option and that is a valid opinion most would agree on.

3. The point is that Dlo produces…”In terms of production”…as well as other 3rd options yet cost substantially less than most. Something he doesn’t get credit for.

Thats all there is to it at the end of the day.

cool... NAME A SINGLE NEGATIVE THING ABOUT DLO.

Why are you dodging this simple thing?

....crickets. Yeah Im the biased one. Here I can name some positives about DLO. He can make tough 3s in the regular season at a good clip.

You can only hear crickets when you stop to listen, you didn’t do that.

Dlo disappears too much for my liking, he gets hot in a stretch but I would prefer his heat be spread throughout the game. Even tho he has a good assist/turnover ratio, it seems the ones he makes are mind boggling carelessness. Dlo seems to actually be able to get to the rack at will and do that sneaky off glass lay up, also the screen to put the defender in jail on his hip for the mid range just inside the free throw line, not doing that enough and settling for 3s when he’s cold is a flaw in his game. Also, I hate when he raising his hand at a defender as if to say “see y’all, I contested the shot” when he really didn’t contest it at all. Dlo has warts for sure.

Now, I offer a similar challenge to you…say something’s good about Dlo. And btw, not the fake insult disguised.

Finally, why even bring up the negative, you trying to change the subject? The subject was “In terms of production Dlo is one of the better 3rd options”.

We can go round and round the bush with ad hominem stuff and changing the subject all day but MJST nailed it with his last post. Dlo produced more than given credit for compared to most other 3rd options. That’s all it is.

Because im pointing out that posting stats doesnt matter when the person you are debating with doesnt argue in good faith. MJST wont name a single thing that DLO is bad at. Im pointing out how biased they are. There is literally no point. Ive pointed out many stats before about how bad DLO is in the playoffs. There isnt a magical stat that hasnt been posted in this thread before. I checked all of those players stats I posted before I made that list of people I would take over DLO. Their numbers are all at the very least equivalent to DLO with varying degrees of better defense.

I just said something nice about DLO. He hits tough 3s which is a unique skill that breaks down defenses in the regular season. That is a valuable skill. He doesnt produce many turnovers. I can give DLO compliments. I dont have to pretend hes something that hes not.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:17 am    Post subject:

When we look at stats and production it’s really only a means to an end…does it translate to winning…success in beating opponents. I really only care about the Lakers winning. They did that a lot last season after the deadline and this season too in Feb/Mar/Apr. Dlo was a major factor in that. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m as spoiled a brat as a Laker fan can be so I ONLY want a ship and it looks like some changes are needed for that.

But If the Lakers lose Dlo, they won’t be able to replace him with the cap situation. The team won at a good enough rate that it looks like to me they can win a ship with Dlo as the 3rd option as long as the deficiencies are addressed. Specifically, the team needs to add a legitimate back up C, and add back court defense with the right veteran coach with finals experience.

Those against Dlo may not be saying dump him, or let him walk because he adds nothing or not enough, they may not have been saying that but that is the way I interpreted it. The reality is that Dlo is producing at a rate for a price that allows the Lakers to have enough other pieces to conceive a championship with better coaching and better reserves. The Lakers won’t be in that position if an uneven trade is made or if Dlo walks for nothing this summer, lack of appreciation can lead to that.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:25 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Just so it's clear, I think the Lakers have to resign DLO, or sign and trade him. Not doing so would be the loss of an asset that will be difficult to replace. But I don't believe in DLO and Reaves as a pairing. I'm fine with one being a sixth man, or in trading one to upgrade the other position. I don't mind what either of those guys brings to the team though, I just don't think they are a great fit because they are both unathletic and defensively limited.

Reaves outperformed his salary this season. Bringing him back at that salary next season or really anything under $22m or so would be a bargain imo. He's streaky. He has his flaws. But he's a sharpshooter, and a decent playmaker. Even at his worst, he's a floor spacer. But the problem with shooters, is they are inconsistent. And when DLO is not shooting well, he often becomes unaggressive. In those games, because he isn't a great defender, it limits his impact substantially. That's why his current contract is closer to his actual value than his previous one. It's also why teams won't be rushing to sign or trade for him. He's still a quality player.

Back to the point I did make earlier in the thread, one of the best stretches of the season we had on both ends, was the brief period of time where Reaves was moved to 6th man, and Cam Reddish was starting 2 next to DLO. Prior to Cam's injury we went 6-1 in that stretch of 7 games. Cam got injured soon after.

But the idea showed it maybe could work.

But at the same time, this was also during the time that Ham refused to allow Reaves and DLO to finish games and would play Reaves the entire 4th and keep Prince in the gane. So even then Ham still was gonna do a Ham.

But the best going forward lineup, assuming we get everyone back next season which is the plan. Would be something like this

Starters:
D'Angelo Russell
Max Christie
Jarred Vanderbilt
LeBron James
Anthony Davis

Bench:
Gabe Vincent
Austin Reaves
Taurean Prince
Rui Hachimura
Christian wood / Jaxson Hayes

OR we'll run it like this if we feel the starting unit still needs more scoring

Starters:
D'Angelo Russell
Max Christie
Rui Hachimura
LeBron James
Anthony Davis

Bench:
Gabe Vincent
Austin Reaves
Taurean Prince
Jarred Vanderbilt
Christian Wood / Jaxson Hayes

Either way, this gives us a 2 or 3 known defender lineup in the starting lineups and scoring off the bench. With the first lineup, Reaves and Hachimura both anchor the bench scoring, with Wood handling additional scoring + rebounding, Prince being a 3 point sniper and Vincent going on an occasional heater and playing defense.

The second version moves Rui to the starters for scoring, and has Reaves and Wood as the primary scorers with the bench unit. If Prince does not return, Vando will be moved to the 3, Wood to the 4 and Hayes to the 5.

Either way, the lanky 6'7 3-D shooting guard at the 2 seems like the route with DLO running point at the 1. More offensive balance when we know our three main scorers are AD, Bron, DLO with the starters and you have Christie out there for defense and wide open threes, and then you have Vando out there as slasher to the basket and defender or you have Rui out there for additional scoring and floor spacing.

Dark horse lineup, is counting on Wood to regain his form as a starter and running this lineup

Starters:
D'Angelo Russell
Max Christie
LeBron James
Christian Wood
Anthony Davis

Bench:
Gabe Vincent
Austin Reaves
Jarred Vanderbilt
Rui Hachimura
Jaxson Hayes

This one runs Wood and Davis and would probably help a lot with the offensive rebounding. If Wood can get back to being a scoring option it could be feasible, it's his defensive intensity(not inability to do so) that is the worry. But his isn't too different from Rui's in that sense.

When we look at stats and production it’s really only a means to an end…does it translate to winning…success in beating opponents. I really only care about the Lakers winning. They did that a lot last season after the deadline and this season too in Feb/Mar/Apr. Dlo was a major factor in that. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m as spoiled a brat as a Laker fan can be so I ONLY want a ship and it looks like some changes are needed for that.

But If the Lakers lose Dlo, they won’t be able to replace him with the cap situation. The team won at a good enough rate that it looks like to me they can win a ship with Dlo as the 3rd option as long as the deficiencies are addressed. Specifically, the team needs to add a legitimate back up C, and add back court defense with the right veteran coach with finals experience.

Those against Dlo may not be saying dump him, or let him walk because he adds nothing or not enough, they may not have been saying that but that is the way I interpreted it. The reality is that Dlo is producing at a rate for a price that allows the Lakers to have enough other pieces to conceive a championship with better coaching and better reserves. The Lakers won’t be in that position if an uneven trade is made or if Dlo walks for nothing this summer, lack of appreciation can lead to that.

This. All of this.

Do you see a healthy Christian Wood as a viable backup center or are you talking specifically about size?

kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:31 am    Post subject:

Dlo has faults. What the get rid of Dlo crowd can’t get over are those faults. He’s slow as molasses, and plays even slower; can run hot and cold for long stretches; loses aggression when he misses shots. All of the stuff that has been said about him repeatedly.

He is the ultimate CEILING raiser though as when he’s on it’s like suddenly you have a top 10 player on the team. His floor was as high as it’s ever been the last year, including the playoffs, so that’s getting better too.

The lack of appreciation for anything other than all NBA talent is what boggles my mind. That line of thinking is why we dumped a championship roster for RW. Never want to see that happen again.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject:

Not sure if dude is legit or not, but DLo expecting to opt out and secure a longterm bag.

https://twitter.com/JWeinbachNBA/status/1788976546918576210
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 10:22 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Not sure if dude is legit or not, but DLo expecting to opt out and secure a longterm bag.

Swapping Harden’s near max for DLo’s $20m will let Clips keep PG at max and has a tpMLE?
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:28 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Swapping Harden’s near max for DLo’s $20m will let Clips keep PG at max and has a tpMLE?

Is that possible straight across money-wise?

If the Lakers didn't have to sweeten the pot too much, a DLO for Harden swap would be great.

It doesn't solve all the issues, but I think would help immensely as it gives LBJ his 3rd star name and the Lakers a point guard who penetrates and kicks way better.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:33 am    Post subject:

Laker_Jocker wrote:
governator wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

If the Lakers didn't have to sweeten the pot too much, a DLO for Harden swap would be great.

It doesn't solve all the issues, but I think would help immensely as it gives LBJ his 3rd star name and the Lakers a point guard who penetrates and kicks way better.

Why would DLO want to go to the clippers with WB?
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject:

Harden is a FA tho, so even with a DLo opt in, Harden would have to agree to a S&t. Now if dude wants big money, an 18.7m deal at most can bring back 26.2m (via +7.5m trade multiplier). I doubt the Beard agrees to that type of trim, but that’s quite the paycut.

But couldn’t DLo the opt out & create a double S&t option, where he gets >18.7m so that Harden gets paid more annually as a result? Well, depends on PG, cause if he stays clip’n, the 179m 1st Apron bodies any chance at a hardcap triggering incoming S&t’d player. Clips without Harden, Plumlee & Theis are already at about 169m in the team salary.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:07 pm    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:
governator wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Good chance that Westbrook isn’t with the Clippers
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
While a return to the Lakers is still a viable option, the Orlando Magic and San Antonio Spurs are notable teams to monitor if the 28-year-old playmaker were to leave LA. Russell’s decision-making will have a significant impact on the Lakers’ direction this offseason.

https://twitter.com/JWeinbachNBA/status/1789010335237611596
logical24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:31 pm    Post subject:

So what would be the best option? Could we sign and trade him?
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:
governator wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Why would you say that? WB is a bench player and there has been no noise of him being a locker room problem.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:37 pm    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:
governator wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Why would you say that? WB is a bench player and there has been no noise of him being a locker room problem.

He doesn’t want to be a bench player and that is all he would be with the Clippers. It wouldn’t surprise me to see him with the Spurs next season for the minimum.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:53 pm    Post subject:

^
He also sucks, so there's that. The Clippers can do better. He's a name now, and very little else. How will they possibly replace that .514 TS % and horrific floor-spacing?
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:54 pm    Post subject:

DLo declined his option. Thank God. Hopefully he will go away.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:59 pm    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:

Is that good or bad? If he walks we won't get anything for him.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 1:04 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

If he simply walks and signs somewhere else, it would be a good thing. The only way it's a bad thing is if he's on the Lakers roster next season.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

I'll add that I don't think a team would trade us Ben Handlogten for DLo right now.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 1:11 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

I don’t know Jo, last time our starting PG went unrestricted, we ended up with Westbrook so maybe this time Rui, AR, Gabe and picks turns to Beal
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 1:15 pm    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:
jodeke wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

If he simply walks and signs somewhere else, it would be a good thing. The only way it's a bad thing is if he's on the Lakers roster next season.

That doesn't make good basketball sense to me.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 1:18 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
jodeke wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

That doesn't make good basketball sense to me.

His value is very low. Why do you want a player on the roster that quit on the team in the playoffs?
BEazy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Dlo walking away for nothing is a very bad thing. We can't use his $18+ million salary as trade filler, nor can we easily replace him with a player commanding that level of salary. We'd better hope Dlo opts in.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 1:28 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

I don’t know Jo, last time our starting PG went unrestricted, we ended up with Westbrook so maybe this time Rui, AR, Gabe and picks turns to Beal

gov gov gov! Bradley Beal! Hell To Da No. the Lakers have until June 19 to negotiate with Dlo. Hopefully, they'll come up with a deal that will benefit all parties.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2893, 2894, 2895, 2896, 2897, 2898  Next
Page 2894 of 2898
Jump to: