OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1283, 1284, 1285 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject:

I don't think he will ever be a defensive force but he could be decent with proper effort and technique. He doesn't jump much and is not very agile defensively. Guarding the most agile players on the floor is not an easy task even for the more athletic guys. Length helps more guarding the bigger slower guys.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
Yeah... like it's such a shock that superstar NBA players often struggle on defense

And DLO hasn't been that bad defensively. Given his length, he could be a true defensive force... which is what Walton is likely talking about. If DLO wanted to, he could really disrupt a lot of things on a consistent basis.
I don't think his defense will ever get to a 1st all defensive team but I think over time he'll be a more than adequate defender.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
I don't think he will ever be a defensive force but he could be decent with proper effort and technique. He doesn't jump much and is not very agile defensively. Guarding the most agile players on the floor is not an easy task even for the more athletic guys. Length helps more guarding the bigger slower guys.

If Rubio can do it, I don't see why DLo can't.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Next season when Russell's defense "magically" improves because of better schemes, better team defense and better communication: "I had no idea he could defend".

I don't know. I find the narrative on Russell's defense pretty funny. On one hand, he's a 20 year old playing and defending the hardest position in the NBA... and on the other he has waaayyys to go in terms of development. Players don't generally peak defensively until their mid to late 20s.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Next season when Russell's defense "magically" improves because of better schemes, better team defense and better communication: "I had no idea he could defend".

I don't know. I find the narrative on Russell's defense pretty funny. On one hand, he's a 20 year old playing and defending the hardest position in the NBA... and on the other he has waaayyys to go in terms of development. Players don't generally peak defensively until their mid to late 20s.
One problem I see are the current detractors pick at his every move/every play whether it be on defense or offense. For example, if there is a play where player x blows by D'angelo on multiple plays, it'll equal him being a bad defender when in reality, even the best defenders get blown by multiple times during a game. There were many times during last season and during the SL where D'lo showed his defensive abilities and not a peep of praise from the usual suspects. Not surprising really at this point. Will he ever be a Kobe, Lebron, Pippen, MJ, Tony Allen, CP3 or even Conley type of perimeter defender? Probably not, but he's shown he can be an above average to good defender on multiple occasions and has a knack for getting in those passing lanes and stealing the ball or creating tips for TO's.

His defense isn't great. It's actually below average at this point. However, it is also sensationalized by a few cats who happen to be the loudest ones in the room. Plus, ironically, players they clamor for are just as bad or even worse on the defensive end. The double standard continues. It's all good though.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

I can only think of two possible explanations. Either back when Lanny was of an age to engage such services, $10 was a normal price or he's just not too picky about looks, age, gender, species, etc.

I really do love you guys, thanks for putting up with me!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

I can only think of two possible explanations. Either back when Lanny was of an age to engage such services, $10 was a normal price or he's just not too picky about looks, age, gender, species, etc.

I really do love you guys, thanks for putting up with me!

And we are willing to love you back, but the price is a lot higher than ten bucks.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject:

You saw Russell's defense improve as the year went on as far as his playing the passing lanes.

He needs to get the proper stances down right now and learn to swipe up at the ball and not down at it.

Some slide drills!
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

One problem I see are the current detractors pick at his every move/every play whether it be on defense or offense. For example, if there is a play where player x blows by D'angelo on multiple plays, it'll equal him being a bad defender when in reality, even the best defenders get blown by multiple times during a game. There were many times during last season and during the SL where D'lo showed his defensive abilities and not a peep of praise from the usual suspects. Not surprising really at this point. Will he ever be a Kobe, Lebron, Pippen, MJ, Tony Allen, CP3 or even Conley type of perimeter defender? Probably not, but he's shown he can be an above average to good defender on multiple occasions and has a knack for getting in those passing lanes and stealing the ball or creating tips for TO's.

His defense isn't great. It's actually below average at this point. However, it is also sensationalized by a few cats who happen to be the loudest ones in the room. Plus, ironically, players they clamor for are just as bad or even worse on the defensive end. The double standard continues. It's all good though.

He can definitely eclipse those two on defense, seeing as how his size, length and athleticism give him some pronounced advantages. I definitely think that if he sets his mind to it, he can be one of the better defenders at the PG position.
Golden_Emperor_24K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Some never seen before highlights of DLO at USA b-ball training. This kid is gonna be the 1st option this year. No question about it.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Bres on TWCS saying DLo's a shooting guard again... smh. definitely gunna tweet him and remind him of Byron's offenses limitations and not running our true offense in SL
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Excited for this season, can't wait to see these guys play again.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject:

I think the only player with the skills D'lo has and will develop are irving, curry and cp3. That is it. D'lo has potential to be a better defender than all 3. and his offense will be a mix off all of those:

P&R savy
Long range
Mid range
Passing
Cutting
Off the ball
Ball handling
Floaters
Gets to the ft
Post up (Good luck PGs)

If anything he has things those guys don't. i think mitch picked another kobe. I'm sorry for believing in him. I'll predict a higher PPG than irving. Around 24ppg. A roy like season.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Bres on TWCS saying DLo's a shooting guard again... smh. definitely gunna tweet him and remind him of Byron's offenses limitations and not running our true offense in SL

His commentary has been... inaccurate to say at the least.

Says we're going to run a carbon copy of GSW's offense when Luke has been saying the exact opposite. A system is designed to play to the strengths of the players. It just so happens Klay and Curry are the best shooters in the world.
Troublesome626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

he also has compared DLO to goran dragic. i would ignore him when it comes to player evaluations.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
You saw Russell's defense improve as the year went on as far as his playing the passing lanes.

He needs to get the proper stances down right now and learn to swipe up at the ball and not down at it.

Some slide drills!

he's pretty damn impressive reading passing lanes for a 19/20 year old. also a nice knack of anticipating where the ball handler will go - 1v1 defense has good potential will more effort and athleticism.

He can def def be an above average defender, i think.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

His commentary has been... inaccurate to say at the least.

Says we're going to run a carbon copy of GSW's offense when Luke has been saying the exact opposite. A system is designed to play to the strengths of the players. It just so happens Klay and Curry are the best shooters in the world.

stupid narratives trying to create drama..
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
MJST wrote:

Some slide drills!

he's pretty damn impressive reading passing lanes for a 19/20 year old. also a nice knack of anticipating where the ball handler will go - 1v1 defense has good potential will more effort and athleticism.

He can def def be an above average defender, i think.
100%
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Nothing wrong with his opinion, I'm sure he is not alone about that and it's not taking anything from Dlo as a quality prospect.

When people talk about Simmons being a 6'10 PG and not a PF it is not a bad thing.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Nothing wrong with his opinion, I'm sure he is not alone about that and it's not taking anything from Dlo as a quality prospect.

When people talk about Simmons being a 6'10 PG and not a PF it is not a bad thing.

I think that opinion is really misguided.. I think circumstance has undermined Dlo's passing skills. for sure.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
nash wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

I think that opinion is really misguided.. I think circumstance has undermined Dlo's passing skills. for sure.

That and he's still adjusting to NBA speed
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
nash wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

It's a possibility, but he is not calling him a bust, he is calling him a SG something natural once you look at a young guard scoring 20+ points often while most rookie PG with enough PT will average over 5 AST.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
defense wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
nash wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

It's a possibility, but he is not calling him a bust, he is calling him a SG something natural once you look at a young guard scoring 20+ points often while most rookie PG with enough PT will average over 5 AST.

Byron's offense had the least ball movement and flow in the nba man, along with no floor spacing in the frontcourt, along with Kobe shooting 30% from 3.
COME ON with this "he should have showed better passing skill"
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
nash wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

that too. improved athleticism will definitely help him a lot down the line
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Troublesome626 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

he also has compared DLO to goran dragic. i would ignore him when it comes to player evaluations.

Yeah, Bres has been reallly underwhelming so far. He's boring.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1283, 1284, 1285 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next
Page 1284 of 2856
Jump to: