OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1397, 1398, 1399 ... 2863, 2864, 2865  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:

Neither Russell or Randle are nowhere near final products, but what I have strong in my mind is that you don't need to start players to develop them. I agree that Julius has a lot to grow as basketball player, but nobody is telling he should come from the bench forever just that at this stage of their development the first unit can work better with Deng or Nance starting over Julius.

You could start Deng or Nance and our starting unit would still get their asses kicked on a regular basis most games. It is because they aren't very good, there are reasons we are praying to win 25 games this season, we aren't good.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
nash wrote:

Neither Russell or Randle are nowhere near final products, but what I have strong in my mind is that you don't need to start players to develop them. I agree that Julius has a lot to grow as basketball player, but nobody is telling he should come from the bench forever just that at this stage of their development the first unit can work better with Deng or Nance starting over Julius.

You could start Deng or Nance and our starting unit would still get their asses kicked on a regular basis most games. It is because they aren't very good, there are reasons we are praying to win 25 games this season, we aren't good.

do you agree that randles lack of a jumper is causing spacing issues on offense? if so do you think that if he were replaced by someone who could shoot that our offense would look better?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
nash wrote:

Well we're trying to get better and it is reasonable to believe that starting Deng or Nance at the 4 could make us better.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
nash wrote:

do you agree that randles lack of a jumper is causing spacing issues on offense? if so do you think that if he were replaced by someone who could shoot that our offense would look better?

I believe the problem isn't necessarily Randle, but having zero reliable floor spacers out of Mozgov/Randle/Deng is. If we are going to start Mozgov/Randle up front, which we are, we need a knock down 40+3FG% player at SF
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Random prediction, I think DLo sets a new Laker single season record for 3 pointers made. Currently 183 by Nick Van Smack (94-95 season)
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
nash wrote:

I believe the problem isn't necessarily Randle, but having zero reliable floor spacers out of Mozgov/Randle/Deng is. If we are going to start Mozgov/Randle up front, which we are, we need a knock down 40+3FG% player at SF

IMO deng does the job. You won't ever see a defender leaving him wide open at the 3 point line and that's all I'm asking. Hell, we could bench mosgov for YI and I think the spacing would be a lot better as well!

Let YI knock down a few wide open 3's and just like that the paint opens up like the Red Sea for Randle.

I'm honestly just tired of thinking about this. It's becoming more and more obvious to me that wining isn't on the lakers agenda for this season. So I'm not going to stress over it. They don't care neither do i
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Guess it's about that time to start scouting college prospects in the top 5 again. I'm 2 for 2 in the last couple of drafts so let's see what I can find this season.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Guess it's about that time to start scouting college prospects in the top 5 again. I'm 2 for 2 in the last couple of drafts so let's see what I can find this season.

bro I was thinking the same thing today. lol. lookin' at da prospexxx
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
nash wrote:

That is why I believe the first unit may work better with players that will run the system providing also space, because at this stage of his career Julius is not LeBron and running the system we may be winning a few more games and it helps to build a winning culture. Why not give it a try? We went 2-6 this preseason.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

lol they are giving us no choice
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
tnell wrote:
Practice wrote:
Russell is average 7.8 assists over the past 4 games.

But is he a point guard though?

still a play making SG imo. Ill get flamed for it but even at OSU he played point only 30% of the time people tend to forget there was this other guy named Shannon Scott who was the PG who allowed Russell to play free flowing instead of setting everyone up

What is the difference between a playmaking SG and a PG in 2016?

James Harden seems to know the answer.

You mean the starting PG for the Houston Rockets?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
nash wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
tnell wrote:
Practice wrote:

still a play making SG imo. Ill get flamed for it but even at OSU he played point only 30% of the time people tend to forget there was this other guy named Shannon Scott who was the PG who allowed Russell to play free flowing instead of setting everyone up

My personal criteria:

A good scoring PG will score a lot, but still averages over 6 AST with a reasonable AST/TO ratio being able to break down a defense creating easy scoring opportunities for others.

A facilitating SG is an unselfish player that will keep moving the ball to the open man, but he is not going to handle the ball too much trying to manipulate a defense to create offense for others. Most of them are going to turn the ball over in a high rate trying to do so.

Very close if you ask me, but in my mind they are still not the same players IMHO.

What is Steph Curry to you? An SG?

GS offense is so amazing cuz they really dont have a pg klay/Steph/dray/Igu all bring up the ball and the ball doenst stick in one persons hand more than 2 seconds.

......exactly?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
tnell wrote:
Practice wrote:

My personal criteria:

A good scoring PG will score a lot, but still averages over 6 AST with a reasonable AST/TO ratio being able to break down a defense creating easy scoring opportunities for others.

A facilitating SG is an unselfish player that will keep moving the ball to the open man, but he is not going to handle the ball too much trying to manipulate a defense to create offense for others. Most of them are going to turn the ball over in a high rate trying to do so.

Very close if you ask me, but in my mind they are still not the same players IMHO.

Aside from Russell, can you give me some examples of facilitating SGs in the league?
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Markell Fultz and DLO in the same backcourt
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Both guys have above average length for even a SG too. they would fit if kid can shoot it..
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Both guys have above average length for even a SG too. they would fit if kid can shoot it..

He looks legit. Tatum is nice too but I'm keeping my eyes on bigs in this draft. I really wanted Thomas Bryant last season and thought he would surprise people and be a lottery pick if he did come out. I think he's easily a top 10 pick in this draft and the guy I want the most. I still need to look at the freshmen in this draft but I doubt any of the bigs will be as good as him IMO
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

He looks legit. Tatum is nice too but I'm keeping my eyes on bigs in this draft. I really wanted Thomas Bryant last season and thought he would surprise people and be a lottery pick if he did come out. I think he's easily a top 10 pick in this draft and the guy I want the most. I still need to look at the freshmen in this draft but I doubt any of the bigs will be as good as him IMO

Isn't Bryant just a pretty skill-less athlete ? He looks like a goofy non basketball player from the very little I've seen of him. Could see him as a Biyombo clone... Need to see more of him though

I like Tatum a lot. He's a pure scorer - probably a top 2 pure wing scorer freshman in the past 4 draft classes.
Fultltz potential looks endless. Amazing athlete, shooting potential, good passer, smart player. Josh Jackson is intruiging.
I kind of just want the best shooter of that group.

And I like Jonathan Isaac as a potential very skilled stretch 4. He got his weight up now and Schmitz of DX says the 4 will be his best position going forward. I want a great PF......
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Isn't Bryant just a pretty skill-less athlete ? He looks like a goofy non basketball player from the very little I've seen of him. Could see him as a Biyombo clone... Need to see more of him though

I like Tatum a lot. He's a pure scorer - probably a top 2 pure wing scorer freshman in the past 4 draft classes.
Fultltz potential looks endless. Amazing athlete, shooting potential, good passer, smart player. Josh Jackson is intruiging.
I kind of just want the best shooter.....

Yeah I'm not as big on this class as most. I look at Thomas Bryant as clay that can be molded like the lakers did Bynum. The difference is that this kid plays with passion and effort to go along with all the god given talent. At 6'10 he's agile enough to step out and defend the PnR in time and long enough 7'5.5 wingspan & 9'4 reach to protect the paint. He also plays a physical game like an old school bigman and rebounds outsid of his area.

Not to mention he's still the same age as most freshman even though he's going into his sophomore season.

Edit: he's only a couple months older than Ingram. Bday July 31
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject:

If Josh Jackson could shoot, he would be the perfect fit between DLO and Ingram. I find it hard to believe people still have Jackson #1 overall despite is broke jump shot. Fultz, a very similar player to DLo, looks to be the best right now. Tatum isn't much of a fit. Smith and Giles both are talented but are coming off torn ACL's.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
nash wrote:

IMO deng does the job. You won't ever see a defender leaving him wide open at the 3 point line and that's all I'm asking. Hell, we could bench mosgov for YI and I think the spacing would be a lot better as well!

Let YI knock down a few wide open 3's and just like that the paint opens up like the Red Sea for Randle.

I'm honestly just tired of thinking about this. It's becoming more and more obvious to me that wining isn't on the lakers agenda for this season. So I'm not going to stress over it. They don't care neither do i
lol. i this means reality is setting in for you as a fan and the rest of us as fans.

This is not that season guys & gals. If it is, it will take a miracle x 2. Is it possible? Sure.
Is it Probable? NO

We at this moment do not have lebron straight out of highschool or 2nd year in talent that goes nuts enough to change a franchise all by his lonesome. one more time, it took kobe a couple of seasons while on a solid team of vets that were going into their primes, then turning into the beast we knew him as. Sure he could've scored a lot more if there was no eddie jones in his way. But would we have won more games back then? NO. Young usually means players IQ's are not high enough to use their God given abilities to the max. And that's even with hardwork. You can work as hard as you like. You can't skip the IQ part. Unless, you're shaq or bron. So massive in size for your position while also being so athletic for your size, while also having either great hands and a decent touch around the basket and able to handle the ball well if you're a perimeter guy.

It took curry who was destroying college basketball a few years to turn into the super version we know today. It took awhile for his teammates to turn into what they are as well. Then you see a team that almost can't be stopped.

Damian lillard was very good his first year, but he wasn't as good as he is right now. If he was, he would've had him and Aldridge in the WCF's losing to gstate in 6. Before aldridge left town.

CJ lillard's #2 was a baller out of college but he wasnt as good as he is right now.

It takes time for 99.9% of the nba, even those that may become superstars tomorrow.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
nash wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
tnell wrote:
Practice wrote:

My personal criteria:

Aside from Russell, can you give me some examples of facilitating SGs in the league?

I have doubts about Russell because he is clearly still developing, but the first player I think about is James Harden and Kobe and Manu before.

Harden is going to have assists no matter what because he has very good vision, but he is going to turn the ball over a lot if he is the primary ball handler trying to create for scrubs.

Last edited by nash on Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Yeah I'm not as big on this class as most. I look at Thomas Bryant as clay that can be molded like the lakers did Bynum. The difference is that this kid plays with passion and effort to go along with all the god given talent. At 6'10 he's agile enough to step out and defend the PnR in time and long enough 7'5.5 wingspan & 9'4 reach to protect the paint. He also plays a physical game like an old school bigman and rebounds outsid of his area.

Not to mention he's still the same age as most freshman even though he's going into his sophomore season.

Ah man I don't even want to hear about those skillsets haha. Cmon man, let's get some shooting in here and athleticism! The next Embiid I would be down for.. Thomas Bryant... Na.

Would be great to keep the pick though..
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
nash wrote:

lol. i this means reality is setting in for you as a fan and the rest of us as fans.

This is not that season guys & gals. If it is, it will take a miracle x 2. Is it possible? Sure.
Is it Probable? NO

We at this moment do not have lebron straight out of highschool or 2nd year in talent that goes nuts enough to change a franchise all by his lonesome. one more time, it took kobe a couple of seasons while on a solid team of vets that were going into their primes, then turning into the beast we knew him as. Sure he could've scored a lot more if there was no eddie jones in his way. But would we have won more games back then? NO. Young usually means players IQ's are not high enough to use their God given abilities to the max. And that's even with hardwork. You can work as hard as you like. You can't skip the IQ part. Unless, you're shaq or bron. So massive in size for your position while also being so athletic for your size, while also having either great hands and a decent touch around the basket and able to handle the ball well if you're a perimeter guy.

It took curry who was destroying college basketball a few years to turn into the super version we know today. It took awhile for his teammates to turn into what they are as well. Then you see a team that almost can't be stopped.

Damian lillard was very good his first year, but he wasn't as good as he is right now. If he was, he would've had him and Aldridge in the WCF's losing to gstate in 6. Before aldridge left town.

CJ lillard's #2 was a baller out of college but he wasnt as good as he is right now.

It takes time for 99.9% of the nba, even those that may become superstars tomorrow.

The truth is that I don't think anybody expected us to be a playoff team this season. What we wanted is for the coaching staff to make winning decisions to put us in the best possible situation to succeed.

We still have a few days to see what Luke decides to do with the rotations for the regular season, but if preseason is any indication we're going to lose a lot.

That has nothing to do with losing patience with he young core at all. I'd ecstatic to watch Randle develop from the bench until he's ready to be a starter but watching him start right now is tough and it says to me that winning isn't a priority.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Ah man I don't even want to hear about those skillsets haha. Cmon man, let's get some shooting in here and athleticism! The next Embiid I would be down for.. Thomas Bryant... Na.

Would be great to keep the pick though..

lol I honestly think that shooting is ok with Clarkson, Russell and Ingram. Athleticism is ok with Randle, Clarkson and nance...I feel like this team is missing an inside presence (maybe zubac).

I guess we could grab Jackson if athleticism is so important...at least we know he will bring it defensively at SG (can't play SF because of his length IMO)
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
nash wrote:

Is it Probable? NO

The truth is that I don't think anybody expected us to be a playoff team this season. What we wanted is for the coaching staff to make winning decisions to put us in the best possible situation to succeed.

We still have a few days to see what Luke decides to do with the rotations for the regular season, but if preseason is any indication we're going to lose a lot.

That has nothing to do with losing patience with he young core at all. I'd ecstatic to watch Randle develop from the bench until he's ready to be a starter but watching him start right now is tough and it says to me that winning isn't a priority.

I hear you and you're not wrong. But look at it again. How many games do you really think we can win even with our BEST starting 5 on the floor?

Let's be realistic. Who are we going to beat? Not a lot of teams.

If that's the case.. does it really matter if randle starts or comes off he bench? Not really.

And you still may end up being right down the road and perhaps randle is brandon bass with handles.. nothing more, nothing less. That aint a half bad player. But maybe thats not a starter for a championship contender, perhaps that guy is a 6-8th man. So lets get to the point where we have a championship roster to worry about the nuances of benching randle or not. We're so far away from winning lots of games it's not even funny.

I'm saying, you dont have any royal cards in your hands, no Kings, no Queens, No jacks. No Ace's. not yet. Some of these kids may turn into royalty but today.. not yet.

If this was chess, the best we have right now is a bishop and a rook. No queens, No kings. Just a bunch of pawns for the most part. Pawns can't defeat a team full of queens bishops and rooks. Not going to happen on any regular basis.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1397, 1398, 1399 ... 2863, 2864, 2865  Next
Page 1398 of 2865
Jump to: