OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 141, 142, 143 ... 2863, 2864, 2865  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
If we're going to be prematurely comparing Russell to NBA legends in terms of style of play, I think that Jerry West needs to be in the discussion.

West was actually 6'5, with a 6'9 wingspan, with a knack for anticipating rebounds, and more athletic than he looked:

Game footage:

Unselfish distributing lead guard despite being known for his scoring, throws long lead passes for transition scores, reliance on strong hand (lol), and their shooting forms are even kind of similar.

I thought West was around 6'2, maybe 6'3? Never heard 6'5 before.

https://instagram.com/p/1UFJqXEK1o/

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I liked the DLO in the final SPL game. He's damn near unguardable off screens as he can pass, shoot, and will improve his drive/floater game. When he has the ball, I think it's easier for defenses to key in on him. I think over time, he can improve but for next season, I don't think it's optimal to have him handling the ball the majority of the time.

I think Clarkson right now is more experienced handling the main ballhandling duties as DLO learns the position. I'm intrigued by having all of our perimeter players capable of initiating/running an offense (Kobe, DLO, Clarkson, even Lou).

I see why you feel this way, but I think that you're overlooking his decision-making in the PnR, and the importance of that. He's better at making PnR reads than Clarkson is, and creating an open shot for the team. We ran much more PnR with him in the last two games of SL. In the game against Dallas, they were blitzing or icing the PnR, and he was getting the ball to Randle in the middle of the court to wreck shop in what's essentially a 4-on-3 situation. In the Utah game, they were feathering the PnR (big stays back) and he led the team in shot attempts, because he was the open guy.

I don't think it's gonna be an either/or thing, in terms of who handles the ball. Both have their advantages. Clarkson's gonna break his guy down and compromise the defense off of the dribble more than Russell will, but Russel will be able to do it with his decision-making, which will only get better as he gets more minutes. This will probably be the first time he steps onto the court and isn't the savviest guy out there. But he will be soon.

Totally understood, but I just fear that this year will be too steep of a learning curve. Would like to mix it up for him so he can succeed. The thoughts of him trying to walk the ball up against a Patrick Beverly or CP3 is going to be interesting.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I liked the DLO in the final SPL game. He's damn near unguardable off screens as he can pass, shoot, and will improve his drive/floater game. When he has the ball, I think it's easier for defenses to key in on him. I think over time, he can improve but for next season, I don't think it's optimal to have him handling the ball the majority of the time.

I think Clarkson right now is more experienced handling the main ballhandling duties as DLO learns the position. I'm intrigued by having all of our perimeter players capable of initiating/running an offense (Kobe, DLO, Clarkson, even Lou).

I see why you feel this way, but I think that you're overlooking his decision-making in the PnR, and the importance of that. He's better at making PnR reads than Clarkson is, and creating an open shot for the team. We ran much more PnR with him in the last two games of SL. In the game against Dallas, they were blitzing or icing the PnR, and he was getting the ball to Randle in the middle of the court to wreck shop in what's essentially a 4-on-3 situation. In the Utah game, they were feathering the PnR (big stays back) and he led the team in shot attempts, because he was the open guy.

I don't think it's gonna be an either/or thing, in terms of who handles the ball. Both have their advantages. Clarkson's gonna break his guy down and compromise the defense off of the dribble more than Russell will, but Russel will be able to do it with his decision-making, which will only get better as he gets more minutes. This will probably be the first time he steps onto the court and isn't the savviest guy out there. But he will be soon.

Totally understood, but I just fear that this year will be too steep of a learning curve. Would like to mix it up for him so he can succeed. The thoughts of him trying to walk the ball up against a Patrick Beverly or CP3 is going to be interesting.

Not sure I follow. Do you equate bringing the ball up with being a PG? Are you concerned he can't do that?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Not sure I follow. Do you equate bringing the ball up with being a PG? Are you concerned he can't do that?

Of course not. That's just one aspect of the game, but once he goes up against stout NBA defenders, I wonder if that benefits him having the ball in his hand so much. It'll take some time to adapt to the NBA game and having him make most of the plays may be an early recipe for disaster. I'm simply talking mostly about this season. He's going to need someone to ease that responsibility early on. Don't want his progress hampered with a disastrous first couple of months.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Of course not. That's just one aspect of the game, but once he goes up against stout NBA defenders, I wonder if that benefits him having the ball in his hand so much. It'll take some time to adapt to the NBA game and having him make most of the plays may be an early recipe for disaster. I'm simply talking mostly about this season. He's going to need someone to ease that responsibility early on. Don't want his progress hampered with a disastrous first couple of months.

I don't think there will be any problem with that sine he will start a lot of sets getting the ball to Kobe, Clarkson, and even Randle to start things. But I feel strongly he should have the ball up top first as much as possible to allow him experience in deciding which thing to do. Doesn't always require him to make a play, but you want him making initial decisions and reads relentlessly, especially focusing on early offense.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject:

A part of me wants him to learn through the good and bad. Another part of me wants him to ease his way in, sort of how the Lakers traditionally ease their rookies in. It'll certainly be a steep learning curve, but albeit with better teammates than SPL. I'm really looking forward to him and I believe he can be a star. I also do like the Lakers traditionally easing their rooks in as well.
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject:

They're not easing in D-LO, there's no one to play in front of him.

He and Clarkson will both start
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
A part of me wants him to learn through the good and bad. Another part of me wants him to ease his way in, sort of how the Lakers traditionally ease their rookies in. It'll certainly be a steep learning curve, but albeit with better teammates than SPL. I'm really looking forward to him and I believe he can be a star. I also do like the Lakers traditionally easing their rooks in as well.

loved the way they got Clarkson along all last yr.

expecting the same with D LO. will trust the coaching, training and FO on this 1
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't think there will be any problem with that sine he will start a lot of sets getting the ball to Kobe, Clarkson, and even Randle to start things. But I feel strongly he should have the ball up top first as much as possible to allow him experience in deciding which thing to do. Doesn't always require him to make a play, but you want him making initial decisions and reads relentlessly, especially focusing on early offense.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject:

I just don't like the idea that DLO will default to a "facilitating" mode if he plays PG, instead of just being aggressive if he plays SG.

Clarkson is just aggressive at either position. The Lakers need DLO to be just as aggressive with scoring at both positions.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Irie
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject:

With D'Angelo's skill set, I hope his passing ability rivals a young Jason Williams aka "white chocolate." Actually idk anyone who can compare to JWills passes but when d'angelo starts geling I'm expecting similar reactions.

[url=https://youtu.be/Q8b0XbtpFsA][/url]
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I just don't like the idea that DLO will default to a "facilitating" mode if he plays PG, instead of just being aggressive if he plays SG.

Clarkson is just aggressive at either position. The Lakers need DLO to be just as aggressive with scoring at both positions.

I feel the same way. I like clarkson better at PG. I feel like clarkson will always be the same type of player regardless of the position he plays.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Irie wrote:
With D'Angelo's skill set, I hope his passing ability rivals a young Jason Williams aka "white chocolate." Actually idk anyone who can compare to JWills passes but when d'angelo starts geling I'm expecting similar reactions.

[url=https://youtu.be/Q8b0XbtpFsA][/url]

The comp I like for Russell is Mark Jackson. With a jump shot.
ZenMaster4President
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Jason Williams was a terrific passer. He lacked in the brains department, as far as shot selection and non-fast break play management.

Hopefully, DAR will be better on both accounts.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject:

I thought of a nickname for Russell

DR (doctor)

He makes everyone else better
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject:

I can kinda see the Jason Williams comparison. But it's like you took twins and one got raised playing organized hoops, while the other just played street ball.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
They're not easing in D-LO, there's no one to play in front of him.

He and Clarkson will both start

Clarkson is there to start ahead of Russell. Let him start off getting minutes against second units as he eases into the NBA game.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Nation Debate: D’Angelo Russell’s Statistical Expectations

Quote:
As a rookie point guard, especially with the Lakers, all eyes will be on Russell from Day 1 and the pressure will be on for him to produce immediately. However, rookies rarely look great from the beginning and it tends to be worse with point guards.

The talent is clearly there with Russell as well as the opportunity and he is arguably the most important piece of the Lakers rebuild. His success is paramount to the team turning things around as quickly as possible. But what would be considered a successful season for the rookie?

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-nation-debate-dangelo-russells-statistical-expectations/2015/08/02/
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I can kinda see the Jason Williams comparison. But it's like you took twins and one got raised playing organized hoops, while the other just played street ball.

And "the other" has a much longer reach. D'Angelo's body type reminds me of a shorter Kevin Durant though their offensive skill sets are obviously different. Defensively, Durant is able to use his length very well - hopefully we will see some of that from D'Angelo.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject:

One very positive sign I saw in summer league is that his instincts carry over to the defensive end. Seems to recognize what is developing and his positioning was better than I expected. If he gives the consistent effort needed, I think he can be a decent man and very good team defender.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject:

If only DLo had Clarkson's quickness (or Clarkson had DLo's vision/decision-making ability), then PG by committee wouldn't be needed.

There are times I like Randle running point forward more than either one of them running point guard. Randle at point forward brings the opposing power forward away from the basket and opens up the slashing lanes, nicely.

All three young guys like the ball in their hands. If I was coaching I'd probably let Clarkson initiate the offense a little more than DLo. Partly because of Clarkson's experience, but mainly because DLo is a better off-ball scorer.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject:

Man, can't wait to see the work DLO put in after a "sub-par" SPL. I think he will look MUCH better with veteran teammates.
ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject:

I think it could be a little while before we see DLo's abilities in full force

Mitch says they think his greatest skill is his ability to see the game, to make the play, be a leader-/ it's going to take some time for the team to let him have that role

"He's got skills that are very good on all levels," Kupchak said of Russell. "But really, his ability to understand the game, see the floor, make a play, display leadership characteristics...I think that's his gift."

Regarding his second workout:

"The way he commanded guys to do certain things," Scott said. "The last guy to do that whom I played with was Earvin. Knowing how to get guys in certain spots in certain situations, [Russell] did that in three-on-three with guys he didn't know. So obviously, we're interested in what he can do in five-on-five with guys that he's going to be playing with on a regular basis."
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 141, 142, 143 ... 2863, 2864, 2865  Next
Page 142 of 2865
Jump to: