OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1901, 1902, 1903 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
pmacla wrote:
I was at the game and have a question why did Luke pull him in the 2nd half ? He just started getting hot and Clarkson even turned to Luke at scorers table and asked him if he was sure he wanted him to check in for DLO

He had a couple of really lazy possessions in a row on the defensive end.

I just remember one when he gave a layup to Parker and Luke benched him.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Russell1 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
pmacla wrote:
I was at the game and have a question why did Luke pull him in the 2nd half ? He just started getting hot and Clarkson even turned to Luke at scorers table and asked him if he was sure he wanted him to check in for DLO

It was around the 7 minute mark when he turned it over and didn't sprint back to cover the open man and the guy got a lay up.

Aside from maybe Ingram that sounds like 90% of the team.

And my only frustration with that is that Russell & Randle are the only ones who are held to that standard on the team. Nick Young gets to do whatever he wants while you got Popovich benching an on fire Kawhi Leonard for a lazy possession.

If you're gonna build the culture, build the damn culture and apply the same standard to everyone.

Same situation. Pop is harder with Kawhi like he was harder with TP and Luke is harder on both Randle and Russ because he views them as the leaders or at least thoses who can impact a game the most when they are on their game. ( I may have worded this very badly lol)

Was Pop harder with Kawhi and TP? Because it looks to me like he has the same expectation level from anyone, will call a timeout if they give up a layup/dunk regardless of whether it's a close game or they're up by 25 with 3 minutes left, and will chew out and bench Kawhi Leonard or Davis Bertans all the same.

Pop's philosophy seems beautifully simple to me, and applied across the board. There are some things where it's perfectly reasonable to expect the same level of performance from everyone, and effort level is at the top of that list.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

While I agree that Hayward would be a great option instead of PG, but we are horrible, and I would guess that Hayward has had enough of horrible.

I'm surprised with this quote. You are one of the most intense supporters from our players and you still admit we are horrible, the main reason I complain about our players, but I agree, it may be tough to attract a free agent without trading for an all star first unless he is a local guy like PG or Ball in the future since his daddy seems to be a die hard Lakers fan.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject:

youcantguardme wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
pmacla wrote:

A couple is an understatement. I hope this kid gets better because right now I don't see it. I really can't imagine that he is the future for a contending team.

Not really. But the problem is the expectation that he needs to be "the future for a contending team" and then wondering why you feel disappointed by him. We should move him so y'all can enjoy that championship caliber Ingram/Zubac two-man game.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:
richmorgan12 wrote:
pmacla wrote:

All this talk about Paul George I was thinking lets say we keep pick take BPA and see if Magic has the Magic touch with FA's and sign Gordon Hayward who I personally think is better than Paul George and Jimmy Butler and that would accelerate the rebuild by a year without giving up any prime assets

Paul George is a better defender and rebounder. The Lakers need that.

Their rebound rate is too close to make that judgment. Also, Hayward isn't a bad defender, either. He's solid on-ball and off-ball, at least from what I've seen.

While I agree that Hayward would be a great option instead of PG, but we are horrible, and I would guess that Hayward has had enough of horrible.

Take Hayward off Utah and how good are they ? Conversely add Hayward to Lakers instead of Nick young and how good are they ?

I doubt that Hayward will base his decision on millions of dollars on hypotheticals.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I'm surprised with this quote. You are one of the most intense supporters from our players and you still admit we are horrible, the main reason I complain about our players, but I agree, it may be tough to attract a free agent without trading for an all star first unless he is a local guy like PG or Ball in the future since his daddy seems to be a die hard Lakers fan.

we are not horrible, we just usually fail to score more points than the other team...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
nash wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

we are not horrible, we just usually fail to score more points than the other team...

Exactly, we are just poor at math. And I am the worst kind of poster, I don't want to tank but will willingly enjoy the spoils of that if we get another top pick.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
youcantguardme wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
pmacla wrote:

A couple is an understatement. I hope this kid gets better because right now I don't see it. I really can't imagine that he is the future for a contending team.

Not really. But the problem is the expectation that he needs to be "the future for a contending team" and then wondering why you feel disappointed by him. We should move him so y'all can enjoy that championship caliber Ingram/Zubac two-man game.

That double standard life.
Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject:

youcantguardme wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
pmacla wrote:

So....what guard under 23 do you see it in?
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Serena Winters‏ @SerenaWinters now6 seconds ago
More
Corey Brewer said Clarkson & DLo have already been asking him a lot of questions, mostly abt the game/little things to make the game easier

Dlo sure is arrogant and thinks he knows it all
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Coach Pop was really hard on a young Tony Parker... what Luke is doing to DLo is nothing
Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
Coach Pop was really hard on a young Tony Parker... what Luke is doing to DLo is nothing

I had this very same thought at Fry's today.
RenoSaint
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

Great comparison. I'd forgotten how hard TP was pushed.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Russell1 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
pmacla wrote:

It was around the 7 minute mark when he turned it over and didn't sprint back to cover the open man and the guy got a lay up.

Aside from maybe Ingram that sounds like 90% of the team.

And my only frustration with that is that Russell & Randle are the only ones who are held to that standard on the team. Nick Young gets to do whatever he wants while you got Popovich benching an on fire Kawhi Leonard for a lazy possession.

If you're gonna build the culture, build the damn culture and apply the same standard to everyone.

And by the fans =P

I'm thinking Luke sees Russell and Randle as the 1-2 punch of the future and the team's future leaders, thus holds them to a different standard he doesn't hold the role players to.

That's what I am seeing anyway. Mainly because he feels they can be special, so they want to hammer in these ideals early and hold them to the different standard from those they feel are set in stone (which I get the feeling Luke feels about Clarkson).

Dude your mind reading talents are being put to waste here, you should open up shop and cash in

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject:

RenoSaint wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

Great comparison. I'd forgotten how hard TP was pushed.

I thought of that, too, yesterday. But TP was thrust into a starting lineup on a title contending team from the get-go. His lessons on playing PG in the NBA NEEDED to be accelerated and harsher, so Duncan's prime wasn't wasted away.

It's hard to compare that with DLo's situation, since we're a mess right now and couldn't be further from contention. Teaching opportunities through benchings and limited playing time when mistakes are made are still good to an extent, but at some point Luke just needs to hand DLo the keys and let him play through his mistakes instead. Luckily, I think that's what will happen now with Magic on board and Lou out of the picture.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

Actually Luke kinda confirmed this in that Laker event tonight

https://twitter.com/SerenaWinters/status/836423502399860736

Quote:
Luke Walton admits coaching staff is hard on D'Angelo Russell, but is only doing it to payoff in the longrun. Magic wants DLo to lead more.

driver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

Quote:
Luke Walton admits coaching staff is hard on D'Angelo Russell, but is only doing it to payoff in the longrun. Magic wants DLo to lead more.

At least we're being told this. It was just guessing and wondering if they were still ridin him for last year (perhaps still).
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Pincus with a little more specificity than the last tweet I posted:

Quote:
Luke said the coaching staff is nitpicking Russell's game which in the short term is a detriment but that will pay off long term

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

Quote:

Good stuff, glad to get some clarity.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject:

If they're nitpicking his game to be better long term, I'm fine with that.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject:

if they're gonna nitpick his game they better come correct
The Gr8 Lakes
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like they really believe in DLo. I'm glad to get some clarity and understand their train if thought. DLo never really sulks so he probably understands he's under this microscope.

Longtime LG lurker.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Pincus with a little more specificity than the last tweet I posted:

Quote:
Luke said the coaching staff is nitpicking Russell's game which in the short term is a detriment but that will pay off long term

Fans are scarred from the way Byron treated DLO. But Luke isn't that type of guy.
Don't get me wrong, I'll still call him out if he doesn't play DLO enough minutes. But I don't worry about Luke being vindictive or malicious.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject:

had a short conversation with him and he is sick of losing which I see as a big positive
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject:

Luke and Magic both spoke very highly and positive of D'Angelo, like someone else said Luke said he such a taleneted scorer and passer that he nit picks him to push him to higher levels. Magic said he wants him to be more of a leader, said when its a bunch of young guys you want to be friends but he needs to call his team mates out on court and also hold himself accountable and said he is playing the hardest position to learn in the NBA both said he is coming along nicely
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1901, 1902, 1903 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next
Page 1902 of 2856
Jump to: