OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 200, 201, 202 ... 2871, 2872, 2873  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
CalisFinest wrote:
https://instagram.com/p/66flDJFEaH/

Lol at Russell being the only one that lost his handle... Just kidding, cool video!

I know (think) that you're kidding, but if guys aren't losing their handle from time to time in a ball handling drill, they're not doing it right. You want guys to push their limits in terms of speed on these, to the point where they're making the occasional mistake. That's gradual improvement happens...pushing the limits of what's comfortable. Notice how much faster he's dribbling than the other two. These drills aren't constructed to impress people, they're constructed to make guys better.

i was just kidding and no i don't see him dribbling any faster, and obviously guys are going to mess up and with one short clip we have no idea how often he messes up, i'm sure it's very rarely.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
D'Angelo Russell ranked #4 in ESPN forecast: 2015-16 rookie of the year

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13459192/2015-summer-forecast-rookie-year

behind a fellow point guard, will be interesting to watch that "battle" throughout the season.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
22 wrote:

Thank you KiROE!! I follow grass fed on Twitter now lol. Give DLO some time peeps. Look how much Randle's body has transformed and he's been recovering from injury most of the time

Not to mention the transformation that Clarkson's body has undergone; he looks fantastic. What's funny about that is, there were a couple of different moments where I noticed Clarkson finishing through contact toward the end of last season. His strength has improved considerably, IMO.

I'd hope the same progress w/Russell. I think in about 2 years his body will undergo considerable positive change.

Agreed. Clarkson's body transformation has been epic too

Yup Clarkson is noticeably thicker pause. Not to mention that his vertical explosion is at at a crazy level now
this dunk at 5:40 of this scrimmage still amazes me, just off one step with no momentum.

But ya I'm confident that Russell will develop strength wise and it'll make him a better athlete. I think in a few years he could play like a completely different player than he will this season so I'll keep that in mind when judging him - I think eventually he'll be a marksman 3point shooter and a better athlete, so his game will be a lot different than it will this year. Couldn't be more excited about our young trio, can't wait to watch them already
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
CalisFinest wrote:

Lol at Russell being the only one that lost his handle... Just kidding, cool video!

I know (think) that you're kidding, but if guys aren't losing their handle from time to time in a ball handling drill, they're not doing it right. You want guys to push their limits in terms of speed on these, to the point where they're making the occasional mistake. That's gradual improvement happens...pushing the limits of what's comfortable. Notice how much faster he's dribbling than the other two. These drills aren't constructed to impress people, they're constructed to make guys better.

i was just kidding and no i don't see him dribbling any faster, and obviously guys are going to mess up and with one short clip we have no idea how often he messes up, i'm sure it's very rarely.

The trajectory of improvement for Russell's handle = sky's the limit, as much potential there as any big guard in recent years. His handle in isoldtions in college was at the top percentile for a freshman that I've seen. I like to compare him to big guards as opposed to small PGs, so i predict his handle will reach Harden level at least.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
MJST wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I just don't think it's fair to say to freeze frame DLO now and then project his growth or lack thereof 3 years from now.

If we did that, Clarkson would have stopped competing to get to the NBA at 19 b/c he was not on the national map at the time.

It's just a starting point. I think it's undisputed that DLO at 19 >>>> JC at 19.

I just feel that in 4 years' time he will pass Clarkson. Regardless, I hope we have them both for a long time.

30 wrote:
Kikanga, I hereby give you permission to break your vow.

I'm not sure Russell will ever pass Clarkson. And I don't think it's a smart idea to bet on DLo to close the gap as he ages since both players are still improving.
Clarkson is the more effective combo guard right now by a healthy margin.
And Clarkson has shown he can drastically improve with playing time in the NBA. DLo hasn't proven he is the same way (because he hasn't been given the chance yet).

Russell's young age doesn't matter as much as you think it does.
Player progression isn't linear. That's why it's huge that Clarkson has proven he can improve at this level of competition.
Check out this link
Those are the top-10 nineteen year old basketball players of all time.
Half of them never made the Hall of Fame.
40% of them never made the all star game. (Kenny Anderson made 1 ASG).

I don't want Clarkson to be considered expendable until DLo has proven he has a higher ceiling of the two. And before anybody complains about cap space to resign Clarkson. Cap space doesn't mean anything when there's no quality talent on the roster. That's why we've been striking out in free agency.

Who the heck made that list? No Durant. No Anthony Davis. No Church. No Marovich(43 points a game) and no KAREEM!?!?!?

The contents of that link have been slightly misrepresented. It isn't the 10 greatest 19 year old basketball players of all time. Instead, it's the 10 best freshman seasons (according to the writer) we've ever seen (that is, since freshman were eligible to play varsity in 72-73).

Take the link for what it is. On the toughest level of competition a 19 year old can play at, these were arguably the top 10. I'm sure it was written before Durant and Anthony Davis played.
I was just trying to highlight: not every fantastically talented 19 year old turns into an all star (Mahmoud Abdul Rauf).
There's a healthy chance, even though Clarkson is older, he'll end up being the better combo guard.

There's no excuse to not have Freshman Durant, Anthony Davis, Church, Marovich or Kareem on that list.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
MJST wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I just don't think it's fair to say to freeze frame DLO now and then project his growth or lack thereof 3 years from now.

If we did that, Clarkson would have stopped competing to get to the NBA at 19 b/c he was not on the national map at the time.

It's just a starting point. I think it's undisputed that DLO at 19 >>>> JC at 19.

I just feel that in 4 years' time he will pass Clarkson. Regardless, I hope we have them both for a long time.

30 wrote:

I'm not sure Russell will ever pass Clarkson. And I don't think it's a smart idea to bet on DLo to close the gap as he ages since both players are still improving.
And Clarkson has shown he can drastically improve with playing time in the NBA. DLo hasn't proven he is the same way (because he hasn't been given the chance yet).

Player progression isn't linear. That's why it's huge that Clarkson has proven he can improve at this level of competition.
Check out this link

I don't want Clarkson to be considered expendable until DLo has proven he has a higher ceiling of the two. And before anybody complains about cap space to resign Clarkson. Cap space doesn't mean anything when there's no quality talent on the roster. That's why we've been striking out in free agency.

Who the heck made that list? No Durant. No Anthony Davis. No Church. No Marovich(43 points a game) and no KAREEM!?!?!?

The contents of that link have been slightly misrepresented. It isn't the 10 greatest 19 year old basketball players of all time. Instead, it's the 10 best freshman seasons (according to the writer) we've ever seen (that is, since freshman were eligible to play varsity in 72-73).

Take the link for what it is. On the toughest level of competition a 19 year old can play at, these were arguably the top 10. I'm sure it was written before Durant and Anthony Davis played.
I was just trying to highlight: not every fantastically talented 19 year old turns into an all star (Mahmoud Abdul Rauf).
There's a healthy chance, even though Clarkson is older, he'll end up being the better combo guard.

There's no excuse to not have Freshman Durant, Anthony Davis, Church, Marovich or Kareem on that list.

So the people on that list are top 20 college freshman all time, instead of top 10. Nothing to get panties in a bunch over.
I wonder where DLo's freshman season ranks all time.
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject:

Mudiay over Russell? Pfft. It's still a question whether Mudiay can perform at a high level consistently or not, and CBA is very different than the NBA.
Karl Towns might not win ROY as he still needs time to translate.
Let's be honest, the ROY award is going to be just between Russell and Okafor.
Man, this might renew the Lakers vs 76ers rivalry.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
MJST wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

30 wrote:

Check out this link

The article was written in January of 2007, before Durant completed his freshman year, when Anthony Davis was in middle school, and neither Kareem nor Maravich played varsity ball due to NCAA restrictions. I don't know who Church is.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
CalisFinest wrote:

Of course not, lol. Count the number of dribbles in the same amount of time. Booker's dribbles travel a much greater distance than Russell's do. It's not all that close.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject:

Clearly dribbling faster. Look how close his hands are when he's crossing over in front of his chest.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LakersFanESS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject:

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20150829/lakers-dangelo-russell-downplays-summer-league-struggles-kobe-bryant-tweet
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Clearly dribbling faster. Look how close his hands are when he's crossing over in front of his chest.

you can barely even see them dribbling at the same time
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
22 wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
22 wrote:

Thank you KiROE!! I follow grass fed on Twitter now lol. Give DLO some time peeps. Look how much Randle's body has transformed and he's been recovering from injury most of the time

Not to mention the transformation that Clarkson's body has undergone; he looks fantastic. What's funny about that is, there were a couple of different moments where I noticed Clarkson finishing through contact toward the end of last season. His strength has improved considerably, IMO.

I'd hope the same progress w/Russell. I think in about 2 years his body will undergo considerable positive change.

Agreed. Clarkson's body transformation has been epic too

Yup Clarkson is noticeably thicker pause. Not to mention that his vertical explosion is at at a crazy level now
this dunk at 5:40 of this scrimmage still amazes me, just off one step with no momentum.

But ya I'm confident that Russell will develop strength wise and it'll make him a better athlete. I think in a few years he could play like a completely different player than he will this season so I'll keep that in mind when judging him - I think eventually he'll be a marksman 3point shooter and a better athlete, so his game will be a lot different than it will this year. Couldn't be more excited about our young trio, can't wait to watch them already

Agreed! Love our trio! Plus the possibility of Anthony Brown, Tarik Black, Nance Jr, and maybe even Upshaw being solid contributors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject:

LakersFanESS wrote:
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20150829/lakers-dangelo-russell-downplays-summer-league-struggles-kobe-bryant-tweet

I'm trying to understand why people thought Mudiay played well in the summer league when he put up the same statistics as Russell.
ZenMaster4President
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject:

because highlight dunks?
THE_DAGGER
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
I'm trying to understand why people thought Mudiay played well in the summer league when he put up the same statistics as Russell.

I'm going to assume you think this is a rhetorical question because you and most of the people here aren't going to like the answer or the truth.

I'll just say this. Mudiay and Russell might end up like a situation like Tyreke Evans and Steph Curry. Or it might pan out the opposite way.
rodg12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
CalisFinest wrote:

The bolded is meant to be a joke, right?

kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject:

rodg12 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
CalisFinest wrote:

The bolded is meant to be a joke, right?

I know....he's obviously dribbling way faster!
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Russell says there are lots of spoiled Lakers fans. O_o
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2558153-dangelo-russell-comments-on-spoiled-lakers-fans-kobe-bryant-and-more
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject:

yuurin98 wrote:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2558153-dangelo-russell-comments-on-spoiled-lakers-fans-kobe-bryant-and-more

not gonna judge kid till he plays meaningful games but hes too high key for my liking especially after proving nothing.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject:

yuurin98 wrote:

He's right. He has the guts to say things other players wouldn't say. I'd rather him be brutally honest than pay lip service to the fans. He was also upfront about his poor summer league performance.
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject:

I'll see if he can prove he's good, then he can be Draymond Green.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject:

yuurin98 wrote:

I agree with him. There are fans who nitpick like crazy and have unrealistic expectations due to our past success.

Last edited by Practice on Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Every fan base have some spoiled fans.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/LA_Sparks/status/638147518895755264
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 200, 201, 202 ... 2871, 2872, 2873  Next
Page 201 of 2873
Jump to: