OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 222, 223, 224 ... 2871, 2872, 2873  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject:

his court vision and passes last night were pretty encouraging from what I witnessed in summer league. Shooting was still suspect, D needs much improvement. Taking in to count his limited minutes and being that this was his first real NBA Game I think he did okay. I think the shot and defense will come more time, and those can also be taught. what cant be taught is insane court vision and how confident he is. I wanted Okafor, but I am starting to come around on this kid. Hoping that Kobe's drive and work ethic rub off on this kid.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject:

younggrease wrote:

Precisely the reason I separated the points in that fashion. 1 = addressing your comment. 2 = elaborating on my thoughts.

I just don't see it...I've watched a lot of point guards and this kid isn't some savant passing the ball. That kid in Minnesota...he is a savant and Russel isn't anywhere near that.

This was just an incredibly risky pick.

Then the issue is you expecting him to be some sort of savant passing the ball, not Russell's play. If he doesn't live up to your expectations then you have badly misread who he is. Because he is who he is, despite your inability to understand that.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerEric wrote:
I thought russell was a dead-eye shooter? looks nothing like it so far in every game except for a stint in preseason.

This is game 1. Of preseason. Not sure what other games comprise "every".

I'm just agitated in not seeing much. I'm impatient but average play would be nice.

Well if you bring your impatience here expect to be called out for it. If a developing team isn't your cup of tea then you will have a rough patch here.
younggrease
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
younggrease wrote:

Precisely the reason I separated the points in that fashion. 1 = addressing your comment. 2 = elaborating on my thoughts.

I just don't see it...I've watched a lot of point guards and this kid isn't some savant passing the ball. That kid in Minnesota...he is a savant and Russel isn't anywhere near that.

Then the issue is you expecting him to be some sort of savant passing the ball, not Russell's play. If he doesn't live up to your expectations then you have badly misread who he is. Because he is who he is, despite your inability to understand that.

It's not my expectations...it's all the hype I hear every time the kid makes a simple pocket pass. I don't expect much from him besides being a solid starter. So he is living up to what I'm hearing from the lakers base. To be fair, he was a boom or bust project on some peoples board.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:

So you criticize Russell for what others think of him? Ok.
younggrease
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

My criticism goes more towards the management and picking him. I don't think they made a good decision. That decision was based on a rationale and a projection. I don't agree with that and Russel (college and now) give me no reason to check my disagreement. I have no ill will towards the kid...again I don't see it talent wise.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject:

younggrease wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

My criticism goes more towards the management and picking him. I don't think they made a good decision. That decision was based on a rationale and a projection. I don't agree with that and Russel (college and now) give me no reason to check my disagreement. I have no ill will towards the kid...again I don't see it talent wise.

Okafor against Gobert/Favors would have been a fun block party.

Mudiay had 8 turnovers.

Guys are 19 year old playing against grown men. Give them some time before writing DLO off.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject:

younggrease wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
younggrease wrote:

It's not my expectations...it's all the hype I hear every time the kid makes a simple pocket pass. I don't expect much from him besides being a solid starter. So he is living up to what I'm hearing from the lakers base. To be fair, he was a boom or bust project on some peoples board.

It seems to me like you want him to do everything when he has the ball in his hands. It's way too much responsibility to give to a rookie, let alone a 19 year old playing with a bunch of veterans. His usage and scoring will go up as he gets more acclimated, but I liked what I saw from him in the short time he was on the floor. If Kobe is high on him, so am I.

Still don't understand the rationale behind judging a player based on a limited preseason stint. It's like the summer league fiasco all over again.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject:

younggrease wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

That is why the Lakers employ seasoned and experienced scouts, they do not rely on the opinions of you and I. I am curious who would have been a better choice? My alternatives would have been Porzingis, Hezonja or Winslow, but I didn't favor any of them over Russell.
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject:

I think Russell is trying to observe and analyse everything on the court, so I think maybe it's the best to let him observe on the bench and play against the second string.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject:

I agree, I think the when the regular season starts I would like to see Russell and Randle playing against second units for a few months.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
younggrease wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Okafor against Gobert/Favors would have been a fun block party.

Mudiay had 8 turnovers.

Guys are 19 year old playing against grown men. Give them some time before writing DLO off.

Exactly. If the argument here isn't "russell sucks" but rather "other picks could have been better," really only time will tell but from what I've seen so far it was the right pick both before and now. When I see Russell in flashes, I see the modern day guard. I see a bit of nash, some manu, some curry, some harden. At 19 after his first preseason game he's not all that different from the guys mentioned above at that age. Being a high level guard in this league takes time but lakers fan see "number 2 pick" and expect immediate all star which is rare.

I look at the other picks in the draft and I still pick dlo all day everyday, not "my game doesn't fit in the modern era okafor because I play no d, am a below the rim center who cant keep up with the fast break pace of the nba." Or the classic "athleticism dependent dribble drive guard with unreliable outside shot, injury prone, one injury away to no career having mudiay."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject:

Again, everyone take a deep breath.

It's ok to say the following: "DLO is not Kobe. DLO is not Kobe. DLO is DLO."

We've been spoiled by Kobe and expecting a once-in-a-generation player to always fall in our laps shows just that.

DLO is going to be a very good player, it's up to him to become a great one.
Vino24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject:

I was happy with the way russell played, he didnt forece anything which most rookies do. WHich randle did everytime he had the ball. I think his shooting will come. The best shooters shoot below 40% in their rookie years.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject:

Vino24 wrote:
I was happy with the way russell played, he didnt forece anything which most rookies do. WHich randle did everytime he had the ball. I think his shooting will come. The best shooters shoot below 40% in their rookie years.

I agree, I thought he was poised and ran the offense well, and did not force any shots. I think there needs to be a lot more movement without the ball to exploit his playmaking reads. He's very smart kid, and is just learning to work with his teammates. Even veteran guards playing on a new team need to learn the offense and the players.
I believe he should start and not come off the bench as others have mentioned. You make tougher steel with fire and this kid will learn a lot playing against the top starters in the league. He's pretty much NBA ready imho, just needs some burn.
24KT
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject:

Not concerned with this kid he plays with such poise. With his form those shots will fall in due time and turnovers will decrease with familiarity with teammates. Russell, Clarkson, Lou and Young should be having some 3 point shooting contests.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject:

Russell looks good on a bad shooting night. I'll take that from a 19 year old still developing.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerEric wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerEric wrote:
I thought russell was a dead-eye shooter? looks nothing like it so far in every game except for a stint in preseason.

I'm just agitated in not seeing much. I'm impatient but average play would be nice.

Well if you bring your impatience here expect to be called out for it. If a developing team isn't your cup of tea then you will have a rough patch here.

Life for a sports fan can be a (bleep) and I'm not perfect and neither are you bud! I'm not going to pretend like you to be some absolute perfect fan that is patient and is willing to kiss the ass of the organization. I want it to win and i want the players to live up to their hype. You don't like me voicing it, that's your issue and I'l continue voice my opinion whether you like it or anyone likes it!
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerEric wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerEric wrote:

Life for a sports fan can be a (bleep) and I'm not perfect and neither are you bud! I'm not going to pretend like you to be some absolute perfect fan that is patient and is willing to kiss the ass of the organization. I want it to win and i want the players to live up to their hype. You don't like me voicing it, that's your issue and I'l continue voice my opinion whether you like it or anyone likes it!

Its my party, and...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject:

Do people not remember Jordan Clarkson this time last year?

He looked like hot garbage too.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Exactly. I meant to bring this up earlier. I couldn't agree more
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject:

I thought some of the passes DLO made would have been impressive for a 28-year-old. Incredible for a 19-year-old.

He reminds me a bit of a rookie pocket QB. He can't really make plays with his running and most of his ability will be in reading defenses. Pocket passers usually struggle their first season getting their reads up to NFL speed while the runners are able to overwhelm defenses with their athleticism. But as time goes on, the pocket passers see more success, while the league catches up to the RG3s and Caepernicks.

I'm definitely starting to see what GT and the more knowledgable bball heads were talking about. He sees the game differently than everyone else on the court. He just needed to be paired up with better talent and for he and his teammates to get used to playing with each other.

Maybe he's not the fastest guy out there, but as Stu likes to say, nothing moves faster than a pass....
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
I thought some of the passes DLO made would have been impressive for a 28-year-old. Incredible for a 19-year-old.

He reminds me a bit of a rookie pocket QB. He can't really make plays with his running and most of his ability will be in reading defenses. Pocket passers usually struggle their first season getting their reads up to NFL speed while the runners are able to overwhelm defenses with their athleticism. But as time goes on, the pocket passers see more success, while the league catches up to the RG3s and Caepernicks.

I'm definitely starting to see what GT and the more knowledgable bball heads were talking about. He sees the game differently than everyone else on the court. He just needed to be paired up with better talent and for he and his teammates to get used to playing with each other.

Maybe he's not the fastest guy out there, but as Stu likes to say, nothing moves faster than a pass....

Can you imagine him with several pure catch/shoot guys, especially a big man who can hit from range? Right now he's got guys who don't necessarily and naturally do that.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

Really good analogy.

I am really excited about Russell as a PG, not necessarily as a superstar.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Exactly. I meant to bring this up earlier. I couldn't agree more

And JC, iirc, was 22 and didn't really show much of any in the way of potential early on. In fact, I bet people were bagging on Jim Buss for paying $2M for his second round rights!

Guy is two years removed from high school. It's going to take time.

For those whining, if you could trade this hot mess, who would trade this bag of chips for? Maybe trade to NO and get Lin back?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 222, 223, 224 ... 2871, 2872, 2873  Next
Page 223 of 2873
Jump to: