OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2362, 2363, 2364 ... 2863, 2864, 2865  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
As for Russell having peaked, or being is what he is, people with common sense no that's not the case. If they do stay Ball, Russell may finally get the chance to concentrate on scoring, and make some nice passes out of that. That will change the narrative some. I don't know why this organization thought he was some type of distributing, Jason Kidd style pg. I could have saved them some trouble.

I came across a few Curry comparisons, but I don't remember any Jason Kidd comparisons. He had vision like Magic, but no one said he played like Magic.

It wasn't the comparisons, it was the way they wanted him to play. All I heard them tell Russell was to set teammates up and be a leader then get your shots. Russell is more of an attack and then set up teammates player. I always hear the Lakers talk about "reigning" him in on offense. Why should he be reigned in? He's a scorer. Yes he can make some nice passes, but he's still a scorer at heart.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
As for Russell having peaked, or being is what he is, people with common sense no that's not the case. If they do stay Ball, Russell may finally get the chance to concentrate on scoring, and make some nice passes out of that. That will change the narrative some. I don't know why this organization thought he was some type of distributing, Jason Kidd style pg. I could have saved them some trouble.

I came across a few Curry comparisons, but I don't remember any Jason Kidd comparisons. He had vision like Magic, but no one said he played like Magic.

It wasn't the comparisons, it was the way they wanted him to play. All I heard them tell Russell was to set teammates up and be a leader then get your shots. Russell is more of an attack and then set up teammates player. I always hear the Lakers talk about "reigning" him in on offense. Why should he be reigned in? He's a scorer. Yes he can make some nice passes, but he's still a scorer at heart.

Ah, gotcha. The coaching staff may have a multi-year development plan for DLo in mind that started with forcing him to focus on running the offense, playmaking, and reducing turnovers before taking the reins off of him as a scorer. Or they just misevaluated his talent to start the season.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

Ah, gotcha. The coaching staff may have a multi-year development plan for DLo in mind that started with forcing him to focus on running the offense, playmaking, and reducing turnovers before taking the reins off of him as a scorer. Or they just misevaluated his talent to start the season.

He's the only player Luke rebuked for taking "Selfish Shots" so he's either a chucker or they have different standards for Russell versus Young/Lou/JC
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

He's the only player Luke rebuked for taking "Selfish Shots" so he's either a chucker or they have different standards for Russell versus Young/Lou/JC

They obviously have different standards as they didn't punish equally. Cause if Russell was rebuked for taking 'selfish shots' then Clarkson would have been rebuked about 70 games this season. They aren't judged on the same plane.
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

They obviously have different standards as they didn't punish equally. Cause if Russell was rebuked for taking 'selfish shots' then Clarkson would have been rebuked about 70 games this season. They aren't judged on the same plane.

Not that you guys are incorrect, but Russell is a starter (at the PG) so he's expected to share and get everyone involved. Clarkson, for the most part, came off the bench and they're usually expected to be more of a scorer since there is a drop off of talent.
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

Not that you guys are incorrect, but Russell is a starter (at the PG) so he's expected to share and get everyone involved. Clarkson, for the most part, came off the bench and they're usually expected to be more of a scorer since there is a drop off of talent.

If you want to talk about the last few weeks of the season when Clarkson was starting at the PG, they were just experimenting with line ups so I think the coaching staff wasn't as strict.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Hahaha. Pierce is being lauded in one thread and bashed in another.

Pierce can (bleep) off in either thread.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Hahaha. Pierce is being lauded in one thread and bashed in another.

Pierce can (bleep) off in either thread.

😂😂😂hell yea!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject:

Yumyumcha wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

If you want to talk about the last few weeks of the season when Clarkson was starting at the PG, they were just experimenting with line ups so I think the coaching staff wasn't as strict.

Russell lead the team in assists and attempted assists, so the "he doesn't get everyone involved" shtick doesn't work.
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

So after 2 years where does he stand compared to a) Hall of famers, b) all-stars, and C) regular players that have peaked with his numbers?
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

Getting to 38-39% from 3 will really take him to the next level. I think with Ball he will do that.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
So after 2 years where does he stand compared to a) Hall of famers, b) all-stars, and C) regular players that have peaked with his numbers?

We post his "at this point in his career" stats all the time and you guys aren't tryna hear it.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:

Ginobili was a slasher, very good athlete able to dunk on anyone. Folks remember this old version, but Manu's game in the old days had not to do with the way Dlo plays it he was kinda Kobe lite.

This. I always compare him to Wade lite.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
nash wrote:

Ginobili was a slasher, very good athlete able to dunk on anyone. Folks remember this old version, but Manu's game in the old days had not to do with the way Dlo plays it he was kinda Kobe lite.

This. I always compare him to Wade lite.

I like comparing him to James Soften. Is DLo old enough to grow a tick filled beard?
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
crucifixion wrote:

We post his "at this point in his career" stats all the time and you guys aren't tryna hear it.

Can you post them again? I would really appreciate it.

Also, what are you hoping for in terms of numbers for Dlo this upcoming season?
Mike Breen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Getting to 38-39% from 3 will really take him to the next level. I think with Ball he will do that.

Not only that but also increasing his mid range %s to high 40s as well, especially off the dribble, to make defenses respect his shot and react to his drives. It would open up more possibilities for him to finish near the basket or draw fouls. This is a must if Dlo is to push his game to all star levels
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:

This is what I want to see next season. If memory serves, he was shooting about 38-39% from three in December last season prior to the knee issues.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

This is what I want to see next season. If memory serves, he was shooting about 38-39% from three in December last season prior to the knee issues.

The knee issues scare me. Didn't he have some injury issues his rookie year as well?

I do know one thing about Dlo. When Dlo gets hurt it looks like he got shot from the rafters. Pain threshold seems to be low. It makes my heart stop each time.

Stay healthy Dlo.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
KBH wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

The knee issues scare me. Didn't he have some injury issues his rookie year as well?

I do know one thing about Dlo. When Dlo gets hurt it looks like he got shot from the rafters. Pain threshold seems to be low. It makes my heart stop each time.

Stay healthy Dlo.

I agree that D'Lo seems to have a low pain threshold. That said, I don't worry about his knee. Particularly since he plays a low impact game.
Clutch24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
crucifixion wrote:

That's because it obliterates their argument (if you can even call it that).
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:

I like to compare him just to guards, but since folks like to bring LeBron and Kyrie names you can compare his historic advanced stats here

Last edited by nash on Sun May 28, 2017 6:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject:

I'm still very high on Russell. I loved what i saw from him post all star break. I wonder if adding Ball will help his game the same way it helped Alford's.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Cochese wrote:
I'm still very high on Russell. I loved what i saw from him post all star break. I wonder if adding Ball will help his game the same way it helped Alford's.

Any situation where he can get the ball back more than 10% of the time after the offense is initiated will improve his game.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
crucifixion wrote:

I like to compare him just to guards, but since folks like to bring LeBron and Kyrie names you can compare his historic advanced stats here

You can praise his historic production and simultaneously note that his efficiency (and therefore his advanced stats) aren't at the level of Kyrie and especially LeBron. Nash started his career at 0.53/0.56/0.47 TS% for his first three seasons before becoming a consistent 0.60+ TS% guy. Chauncey started his career with 0.52/0.55/0.47(small sample size)/0.54 before getting to 0.60 in his prime. Efficiency comes late for guys... even LeBron took 5 seasons before hitting elite efficiency numbers.

I'll happily take a guy putting up historic point/assist stats and hope he figures out the efficiency as many talented players have done so before.

It's not just Russell who warrants that kind of optimism btw. Booker's TS% was 0.535 and 0.531 his first two seasons, and I'm pretty confident he'll be a >0.600 TS% guy in his prime.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject:

That is possible Tox, that is possible.

Okafor was the scoring leader of his class, who knows if he can post raw numbers on an efficient fashion in the future?

I believe Mudiay is the player with a huge question mark.

We have Kareem to play with Zubac, Kobe with Ingram, Worthy with Julius and Magic possibly working with Ball. Maybe we can convince Byron to help Russell, he did a good job mentoring Kobe
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2362, 2363, 2364 ... 2863, 2864, 2865  Next
Page 2363 of 2865
Jump to: