OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL THREAD....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2435, 2436, 2437 ... 2527, 2528, 2529  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject:

ice_cold wrote:
When the DAR trade is judged in future it probably won't be about Lonzo versus DAR, who should Lakers have kept?

But rather should they have kept both? Just the way that is the only interesting question about Harden's trade to Houston by OKC now five years down the line.'

Was selling him early to have a chance at PG13 / LeBron coming to Lakers worth it??

Of course if DAR is a total bust no one will be talking about this at all or it will just be all about kudos to Lakers ... but right now I don't expect that

He's not a bust. He's underperformed and hasn't provided quite as many flashes as you'd hope to see from a second pick, but that's not the same thing as being a bust. Not even close. The unfortunate thing about the video incident his rookie year is that he'll never quite get rid of the stink from it reputation wise unless he makes a dramatic turn as a player. He can't be an average player who puts up modest to solid numbers with outright stinkers in between, especially if the rumblings about his work ethic and negative impact on team chemistry don't come to a complete stop as well. The media isn't on his side at all. It's obvious that they chomp at the bit at every opportunity to attach his name to some negative headline. Tough road ahead of him, but he still has a chance. I hope he takes advantage of it and shuts everybody up.

- John Calvin
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
55 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Username wrote:
singlecamVTEC wrote:
I think y'all reading in too much about him not calling Lonzo by his name lol.

Good interview, and do wish him the best out there in Nets land.

You think he doesn't know Lonzo Ball's name?

"That guy, that kid"

Woj: "You mean Lonzo Ball?"

"Yeah."

just shows how immature and childish he still is.

I can see a Legion of Doom meeting with Fox, Fultz, & DLo all calling Zo 'That Kid'

Hey DLo...you're like 2 years older than 'That Kid'

I loved it when Kobe referred to Raja Bell as a "kid" though he's older than Kobe.

Kobe referred to Raja as a kid to insult and belittle him.
You think there was the same intent here? Maybe.

DLo tweeted last year, "This Lonzo kid low key nice". He knows his name, trust.

This was the only statement that made me wince. I hate the use of "brand", but that's when anyone uses it lest they actually have one.

DLO: "I don't really care either though. I still have a brand I'm still trying to you know... at the end of the day I don't care what people say about me. The feeling is mutual."

The most obnoxious thing he said on record was the postgame where Ireland asked him why he was playing better than he was 2 games prior and he replied, "I have absolutely no idea..." It was a little bit smug the way he said it, sorry yinoma2001. He hurt me, yinoma2001... Ireland tried to help him out of that and he repeated it. You should probably care to know the answer to such a question as a pro, just sayin. That preceded the "You seem up" quip. Those kinds of things give off the appearance that you're flippant and nonchalant about your craft, as does pointing out your brand. Not a good look if you have a regime change where they're demanding in clear language that they expect hard work from the kiddies (and even Julius is towing the line). It may not save Julius in the end, but he's coming from "I have a young wife and a newborn, I don't want to overturn the apple cart right now, I'd better get going." He's on a higher rung of the game of life than D'Lo is right now.

The Lou Williams thing was worth a chuckle. He doesn't know what a journeyman is. That's just a hint at DLo's "youngness".

That dlo line was probably the most revealing if you've been following him closely. Yes he does care. He cares a lot. As I've said before, I think he's extremely sensitive (and very socially awkward, almost add or spectrum-ish, or both), and the culture shock of Byron, a number of fans who didn't lime the pick, and a media circus that wanted himnto be engaging yet also wanted to play the wrong pick/struggling angle, were more than be was prepared to handle. And like a lot of immature men, he tried handling it by withdrawing, being stubborn, partying. Anything to feel in control. It's clear he was even more mentally than physically immature, and still is, but is seeming to work on both.

I figured Luke would be good for him, but Luke is more hands off and freedom, which coming out of Byron world was not what he really needed. Byron gave him structure without love, and Walton seemed to give him love without structure. He needs a dad for a coach. Maybe Atkinson will be that. Kid has a ton of talent and an assassin's moxy, so I hope he is able to get the rest on track.

You stipulate what is entirely unknowable as fact, then apply those facts to a psychological profile that is also unknowable.
So, in fairness to what we will never know, we could also suggest that Russell was a young man with an inflated sense of entitlement, who was not humble enough to take direction and lost the faith of those around him.

VLF: You are convinced that no one here at LG has actually known DLO? Expand your world a little, there are those here who do know exactly what they post about. Nothing is "unknowable".[/quote]

What I'm saying is that the author of this post doesn't claim to have anything but peripheral, third party knowledge of Russell's psyche. He then applies what is largely opinion, to form the foundation for a secondary set of theories about the young man. This seems like a stretch.

I have a great deal of respect for Mr. Little's intellect, that's why I bother to respond.
justsomelakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

JohnWick wrote:
I'm still salty we traded Dlo so early. I badly wanted to see Zo and Dlo backcourt. He was trending towards a perrenial all star.

This was me too - but if you want a really unique perspective on this, listen to the most recent Locked on Lakers episode with the Denver Nuggets SB Nation writer. Really fascinating stuff on how it might be better for both of these two to be separated
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
JohnWick wrote:
I'm still salty we traded Dlo so early. I badly wanted to see Zo and Dlo backcourt. He was trending towards a perrenial all star.

This was me too - but if you want a really unique perspective on this, listen to the most recent Locked on Lakers episode with the Denver Nuggets SB Nation writer. Really fascinating stuff on how it might be better for both of these two to be separated

This is where I'm going to put it: not meant to be. Would love to have seen it, and still dislike some elements of the trade, but they do have a true leader in lonzo to move forward with, and their cap space plan, and good young assets still. All told, should be a fun season. Not the one I wanted, but one I feel I will enjoy.
#StayInYoLane
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:

Can't wait till we start winning so we can finally close the book on D-lo. Dude's gone. no coming back.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
JohnWick wrote:

This is where I'm going to put it: not meant to be. Would love to have seen it, and still dislike some elements of the trade, but they do have a true leader in lonzo to move forward with, and their cap space plan, and good young assets still. All told, should be a fun season. Not the one I wanted, but one I feel I will enjoy.

Amen. Hearing Ganguli say that the Lakers didn't really consider the possibility of them playing together made me shake my head, but also provided some closure.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

At least DLo got a rabid fanbase....he's gonna need it considering who his teammate is....
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
At least DLo got a rabid fanbase....he's gonna need it considering who his teammate is....

I really don't think he does, honestly. It was always people who completely hated his guts with every fiber of their beings vs. people who liked him. I don't think Russell has too many people who are hopelessly in love with him.
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Having played under 17s hockey I can tell you luck plays a big part in how you develop in sports. I mean there are plenty of exceptions but d lo had a bad attitude at a time when we were cleaning house. I did not want to see him go and he will become a fine player but he did the wrong thing at the wrong time more than once. I think mentally he was both very selfish and frustrated at the same time. For a good part of last year he was the oddball who stood out due to his seemingly strange behaviour. He also had horrible body language.
Jimbo was his boss and everyone had to live in kobe and Byron's shadow. In a better environment Russel might have turned out different. We will never know for sure because now the kid is a joke (for now). Whether he fails at the nets or improves people will make their own assumptions. I blame his camp for not getting him fixed in the head.
His fam let him down. He let himself down. And as always..jimbo let us all down.
Ziggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
JohnWick wrote:

Amen. Hearing Ganguli say that the Lakers didn't really consider the possibility of them playing together made me shake my head, but also provided some closure.

I don't think even DLo himself considered playing with Lonzo (RT: "Lakers would be stupid to draft Lonzo")
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
JohnWick wrote:

I don't think even DLo himself considered playing with Lonzo (RT: "Lakers would be stupid to draft Lonzo")

Russell's said on a number of occasions that he considers himself more of an off ball player, but because he liked a tweet that isn't relevant? And who really cares if DLo considered it? He isn't in charge of personnel.

You have a preternaturally gifted passer and a guy who's a pretty talented scorer, and the thought never occurred to anyone that maybe they could play together?

Between that and Tania's other comments, it's pretty apparent that they were looking to move him for off court reasons.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Yeah at his point I just wish DLO all the best in Brooklyn. They were never going to keep him
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Ziggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject:

some...interesting, comments from DLo:

Quote:
"I think guys enjoyed playing with me," Russell said. "Now I'm going to make sure they do instead of not really taking it into consideration." He dismissed worries about his off-court lifestyle. "I think it's under control, but I never thought it wasn't."

Betting on Russell was a no-brainer. He has a chance to be a star on offense. He should be able to hit 3-pointers off the dribble, crucial for drawing double-teams on the pick-and-roll that unlock everything else, and he reads the floor well. He has good size and insists he will defend better.

"I wanted to play defense in L.A.," Russell said, "but I felt like I had to score every chance I got for us to be relevant."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20221667/zach-lowe-brooklyn-nets-dangelo-russell-sean-marks-nba
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject:

He's right in that the team lacked talent and he needed to score but he shouldn't say that now when he knows he's not a Laker, it sounds like we traded away a guy who lacked focus and made excuses when the team was struggling, replacing him with Ball is like trading Silver for Gold.
Ziggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject:

I guess the head scratcher for me is why scoring 15 points prevented him from playing defense.
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject:

I saw that earlier on Reddit. Not a good look.
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

For Russell? Obviously the Nets might be getting another Marbury, Lakers are on there way to a dynasty, the Net fans should enjoy there 2nd round exit in the future.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
justsomelakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

Quote:
"I think guys enjoyed playing with me," Russell said. "Now I'm going to make sure they do instead of not really taking it into consideration." He dismissed worries about his off-court lifestyle. "I think it's under control, but I never thought it wasn't."

Betting on Russell was a no-brainer. He has a chance to be a star on offense. He should be able to hit 3-pointers off the dribble, crucial for drawing double-teams on the pick-and-roll that unlock everything else, and he reads the floor well. He has good size and insists he will defend better.

"I wanted to play defense in L.A.," Russell said, "but I felt like I had to score every chance I got for us to be relevant."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20221667/zach-lowe-brooklyn-nets-dangelo-russell-sean-marks-nba

That is probably one of the most stupid things he's actually said lol
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
I guess the head scratcher for me is why scoring 15 points prevented him from playing defense.

The reason could be poor conditioning.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

Quote:

I'm sure he'll do so much better on the offensive juggernaut Nets lmao
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

For Russell? Obviously the Nets might be getting another Marbury, Lakers are on there way to a dynasty, the Net fans should enjoy there 2nd round exit in the future.

We'll see. I wouldn't bet my house on it turning out in just that way.
ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

. . . .

I figured Luke would be good for him, but Luke is more hands off and freedom, which coming out of Byron world was not what he really needed. Byron gave him structure without love, and Walton seemed to give him love without structure. He needs a dad for a coach. Maybe Atkinson will be that. Kid has a ton of talent and an assassin's moxy, so I hope he is able to get the rest on track.

Nets might just turn out to be the landing spot / fresh start DLo needed.

From interview this week with Joe Harris - a bench player for Nets (previously with Cavs . UVA) , when asked about DLo:

"I think hes going to be great. The whole time Ive been around him, Ive just been impressed at his work ethic and how he is off the court and as a person. I kind of feel like he gets a bad rep sometimes from the media, but I enjoy being around him. Hes a great guy, he works really hard and I think hes a great fit for the Nets. I think him being a part of the culture were trying to establish with the nets is good for him and its also good for us. Its a win win for both situations. Having him is good because were trying to be about the right stuff and I think him having Jeremy Lin around will help him a lot in terms of development on and off the court"
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

We'll see. I wouldn't bet my house on it turning out in just that way.

I would.

Nets won't be getting any FAs to come there, Lakers probably already know someone is committed to coming here in the summer of 2018, and I think that player is LeBron, I think when we made the Russell trade it was because we got a promise from LeBrons camp that he was gonna come so we went ahead and created a boat load of cap to make room for his arrival.

I'm not denying Russell's Impact and I think the Nets will challenge for a Top 4 seed in the next couple of years, but the lakers position right now is way better then the Nets...
Ziggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
JohnWick wrote:

Russell's said on a number of occasions that he considers himself more of an off ball player, but because he liked a tweet that isn't relevant? And who really cares if DLo considered it? He isn't in charge of personnel.

You have a preternaturally gifted passer and a guy who's a pretty talented scorer, and the thought never occurred to anyone that maybe they could play together?

Between that and Tania's other comments, it's pretty apparent that they were looking to move him for off court reasons.

Might have worked offensively, but defensively they wouldn't make a good long term fit. After we signed KCP, I remember Pelinka made a comment along the lines of "he checked off all the boxes of what we were looking for", and then specifically mentioned how KCP can guard the opposing team's best guard.

I don't think KCP will be here long term either, but you never know. If we get a guy like PG13 then it wouldn't matter if KCP walked.
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject:

This is in my Inwood neighborhood. I try and get to a few games each summer, saw Durant in 2011, but looks like I missed a good one tonight.

https://twitter.com/IamDyckman/status/895504399770013696
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2435, 2436, 2437 ... 2527, 2528, 2529  Next
Page 2436 of 2529
Jump to: