OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2523, 2524, 2525 ... 2871, 2872, 2873  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lifetime Lakers Guru
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
bonkers wrote:
Kenny Atkinson:

Quote:
On DLo’s spirits: “He’s a positive, positive person, which I really enjoy being around. I talked to him today. I think like anybody that has a little injury, these guys at this level think, ‘I want to get back. I want to help the team.’ He talked about the game tonight and what we need to do. He’s engaged, he’s involved, hasn’t distanced himself. So, positive spirit, yes.”

https://www.netsdaily.com/2017/11/17/16672040/sean-marks-kenny-atkinson-talk-dangelo-russell-surgery

It's good to see them offering support to DLo so openly.

yes young players in today's NBA really do need managements support as they grow & mature into well rounded players and Men. Kyle lowery is a great example of that wasn't until he reached the Raptors that he prospered.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
Not surprised that he had problems with Shaw. Shaw got into it with all of his point guards, including Andre Miller of all people.

So far, we are 3-3 in head coaches or former head coaches who are both extremely challenged in understanding the nuances of modern NBA offense (and player development) and a personality conflict with dlo. And 1-1 in coaches good at both who seem to be fine with him. Could be correlation vs causation argument, and while there is doubtless some fault on dlo's end, seems there might be some fire with that smoke.

what about Pop tho?

I kind of put the pop thing with the initial Snapchat thing.

But here's what we have from pop himself:

“He’s done a great job, he’s taken direction, communicated really well with everyone else on the team, he’s done well,” Popovich said of Russell.

And, as far as Russell’s skill-set, the USA Select Team head coach complimented that as well.

“He (Russell) is a much more clever player,” Popovich said. “He’s very skilled, but he’s smart on the court. He knows what the situation is and knows how to take advantage of certain match-ups that are on the court.”

I think this (2nd hand) report from Ethan Strauss is what people mainly recall about Pop and Russell:

Quote:
“I heard that D’Angelo Russell had to get lit into by Popovich because in running a drill again and again Popovich would tell him and correct him and players generally will listen to that and will listen to the correction and D’Angelo Russell just kept doing the same thing over and over again as if he wasn’t told anything.”

Russell was already a target at that points here a general audience was quick to agree with negative press on him. Could have just been an easy target for the press where Pop was just coaching his way. It's also not likely that Pop would have said anything negative about Russell directly to the media in the USA role so his quotes aren't a great reflection of his opinion imo.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
bonkers wrote:
Kenny Atkinson:

Quote:
On DLo’s spirits: “He’s a positive, positive person, which I really enjoy being around. I talked to him today. I think like anybody that has a little injury, these guys at this level think, ‘I want to get back. I want to help the team.’ He talked about the game tonight and what we need to do. He’s engaged, he’s involved, hasn’t distanced himself. So, positive spirit, yes.”

https://www.netsdaily.com/2017/11/17/16672040/sean-marks-kenny-atkinson-talk-dangelo-russell-surgery

Sounds like a real locker room cancer.

I think of this as less a reflection on Russell and more an example about how you protect your guy as an organization. What's going on behind closed doors should stay there. I don't expect Scott would have afforded Russell that much support in the situation.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
bonkers wrote:
Kenny Atkinson:

Quote:

I think of this as less a reflection on Russell and more an example about how you protect your guy as an organization. What's going on behind closed doors should stay there. I don't expect Scott would have afforded Russell that much support in the situation.

1. He could have matured since his time here in LA.
2. The season just started, he needs to keep it up. The situation with him here didn't happen in the first 6 weeks of the season.
3. The change of scenery might have been the best for him as a young man finding his way.
LAPauer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Look, I can tell you that if you hear rumblings and rumors about a guy like we constantly heard about Dlo, it is almost assuredly 5x worse behind the scenes. Now, he is a young player, so I wouldn't be surprised if the trade put some steel in him, but he was clearly a distraction to the Lakers in the locker room. We now have multiple coaches who haven't particularly enjoyed working with him. The Nets coaching staff have one training camp and 15 games to go by so far. Our FO and coaches have had a couple of seasons, and Dlo hadn't had the kick in the butt of getting traded yet. I will be happy for him if his knees end up being a footnote and his professionalism doesn't regress back to his Laker days, but the trade keeps looking better and better from where I'm standing.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Is there a way I can go back and mass delete all my posts where I vehemently defended, Russell?....lol

I liked him when he was here, although towards the end of his 2nd year my patience was wearing thin because of his attitude. Looks like the coaching staff was even more disappointed with him than what was reported. Hope the kid gets his head on straight, but kind of glad he isn't our problem anymore.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
Is there a way I can go back and mass delete all my posts [about] Russell?....derp

Can you start with this post?

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject:

LAPauer wrote:
Look, I can tell you that if you hear rumblings and rumors about a guy like we constantly heard about Dlo, it is almost assuredly 5x worse behind the scenes. Now, he is a young player, so I wouldn't be surprised if the trade put some steel in him, but he was clearly a distraction to the Lakers in the locker room. We now have multiple coaches who haven't particularly enjoyed working with him. The Nets coaching staff have one training camp and 15 games to go by so far. Our FO and coaches have had a couple of seasons, and Dlo hadn't had the kick in the butt of getting traded yet. I will be happy for him if his knees end up being a footnote and his professionalism doesn't regress back to his Laker days, but the trade keeps looking better and better from where I'm standing.

What is 5x worse in your mind? Was he using the regular season to get himself in shape? Was he showing up drunk to practice on the regular? Did he try to assault one of the coaches or his teammates? Just curious.

Also, if he was that good on the court while (bleep) so much, imagine how good he'll be with a better coaching staff and a few more years of maturity. Hooo, doggie!
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject:

It doesn't speak well of our coaching staff that they couldn't reign in an immature 20 year old.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
It doesn't speak well of our coaching staff that they couldn't reign in an immature 20 year old.

But they can handle lbj and boogie!
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
OCWA wrote:
Is there a way I can go back and mass delete all my posts where I vehemently defended, Russell?....lol

I guess someone actually admitting to being wrong isn't well received on an internet forum. I was wrong before and will be wrong again whether you like it or not.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
OCWA wrote:

I guess someone actually admitting to being wrong isn't well received on an internet forum. I was wrong before and will be wrong again whether you like it or not.

I don't like it (I want you to be as right about everything as you once were about DLo), but I have no doubt about it.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

LAPauer wrote:

Do people really think that Russell getting traded was a "kick in the butt" to him?

Like being traded to an organization that wants him, with the most well-respected player development guy in the game as his HC and a fan base that likes him...is a wake up call?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
bonkers wrote:
Kenny Atkinson:

Quote:

It's almost as if there were two sides to the "unprofessional" coin in this equation.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject:

I have a theory that Dlo was just flaming dudes in practice with the jokey jokes and some of them never got over it

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Interesting factoid I found while doing some research on Ingram that I didn't expect.

Drives Per Game, 2017-18

D'Angelo Russell....................12.0
LeBron James........................11.2
Giannis Antetokuonmpo..........10.9
Brandon Ingram.....................10.5
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Interesting factoid I found while doing some research on Ingram that I didn't expect.

Drives Per Game, 2017-18

Quite a bit in transition, but yeah, he's allowed to actually his his midrange game to open up drives (using screens) and his 3-point shot.

Unlike LAL, he has the space.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Drives Per Game, 2017-18

Quite a bit in transition, but yeah, he's allowed to actually his his midrange game to open up drives (using screens) and his 3-point shot.

If that factors in transition, that's even more eyebrow-raising, because that means it factors in transition for the other 3 as well.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject:

According to Synergy, he's averaging only 3.3 transition possessions a game.
Those include jumpers, so I don't think it's a huge factor in his ranking.

Ingram's at 3.1, Lebron 5.6, Giannis 5.9.
ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject:

LAPauer wrote:

I disagree - with rumors usually the real issue is 100x smaller than what rumors are saying. .
Also there are usually two sides to every story . And it’s not like coaching staff is neutral third party
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Drives Per Game, 2017-18

If that factors in transition, that's even more eyebrow-raising, because that means it factors in transition for the other 3 as well.

The less than handful of Nets games I've caught, it just always seems like he lived in the paint. If it wasn't a 3, it was an elbow jumper or a floater, with heavy shot volume. A lot of PnR/on dribble.

This isn't the same Russell that the Lakers had rookie year in terms of offensive attack.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
@APOOCH

Looks like @Dloading is on the Nets team plane for the 3-game road-trip. Kenny Atkinson said he could use the 21 year old’s perspective from the sideline.

Such a cancer.

Quote:

@APOOCH

Feels like the Lakers have been throwing shade at Russell since the day they drafted him.

Quote:

@NetsDaily

Lakers’ obsession with D’Angelo Russell ... Do they protest too much?

https://t.co/QoilXIlL8i

Applies to few Lakers fans too who can't stop moaning about him still. Some even go to Nets forums to slander him.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

^our organization had an absolutely pathetic approach to D'Angelo Russell. That he is no longer on the team, whether a casualty of the cap or the miasmic conditions created by Jeanie, Jim, Mitch, and Magic, is a travesty.

But, it's honestly fine. We have cap space. And everyone knows the only thing holding this team of studs back from a championship is LeBron James, whose free agency decisions have been easily predicted since his entrance into the league. Considering our outstanding success in drawing talent to the organization this past 5 years --- I mean, christ, we're so loaded we had the privilege to turn down Jerry West --- I have no doubt we'll recover and, like Herbie finally fully loaded, we'll be parading down Figueroa in no time.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Shaw is another ex-Laker flop coach who got the job due to nepotism. His greatest impact(negative) so far has been recommending Mozgov to Luke based on their time at Nuggets. Kenny meanwhile worked his way up from the bottom and doesn't have old "man up" uncle mentality towards millennials or the ego of someone who's getting gifted coaching jobs in NBA due to past as a player ala Byron and Shaw. Never got any hint from Luke that he was happy DLo was gone. He's more in touch with today's generation. In fact he said the opposite as he wanted to develop a 2nd year player who averaged 16/5/5.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Glad he's gone. Immature, poor work ethic and not a leader and possibly bad knees. He didn't fit over here. I wish him well in Brooklyn. He will be a good player in the nba but not an all star. I would take Lonzo/Ingram/Kuzma over him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2523, 2524, 2525 ... 2871, 2872, 2873  Next
Page 2524 of 2873
Jump to: