Russell over Okafor - Do you like the pick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy with the pick?
Yes
73%
 73%  [ 365 ]
No
26%
 26%  [ 129 ]
Total Votes : 494

LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:

i see him more of a Ginobili level of a player where to win a ring he will have to be the third best player on a championship team.

That's not a bad thing at all. You should quote this whenever someone says you're being too hard on D'Angelo.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
https://vine.co/v/eJeP9ltQBME
Yoooooooooo
He prolly gon drop 40 on us in summer league

Pretty sure there was a table there that he dropped the jersey on. Either way, he does not look happy.

I feel for the guy. Would have loved to have him but I have accepted Russell and I am happy with our direction.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
https://vine.co/v/eJeP9ltQBME
Yoooooooooo
He prolly gon drop 40 on us in summer league

Pretty sure there was a table there that he dropped the jersey on. Either way, he does not look happy.

I feel for the guy. Would have loved to have him but I have accepted Russell and I am happy with our direction.

Okafor is used to winning in high school and college and had his heart set on being picked by us.

He never even worked out for Philly because he didn't think he would fall past 2 and if he did he probably would have preferred NY.

I wouldn't be all that happy either joining a team with no plans on winning anytime soon.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject:

My question to the doubtful ones in this thread, who would Dr. Buss rather have? Undoubtedly it's Russell. He was a gambler and he went for the home runs. As an Okafor supporter, Russell most definitely has the greater superstar potential of the two. So if Mitch/Jim channeled Dr. Buss in taking D'Angelo, I can't hate on that winning formula.
fadeaway8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject:

Yes, assuming they will get Cousins or Aldridge as well.

Otherwise, I don't like the pick.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject:

To be quite frank, I'd rather have a player like Upshaw (minus the off-court issues) at C than a player like Okafor. Centers make their impact primarily on the defensive end. Obviously when you have both you are a transcendent talent.

All the great centers in history were very good on the defensive end. Even when Shaq was starting out, he was a monster on the defensive end. In his prime, when he tried he was one of the best defenders in the league. When he wasn't trying, he's still getting 2-3 blocks and a number of shot alterations. Nobody was coming in the paint. Duncan, Olajuwon, Ewing, Robinson, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, etc.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject:

If the next Duncan, Wilt, KAJ, Shaq was available at #2, I'm sure the Lakers would have picked him. From what I've read, they measured Oak and felt he was more of a PF size.
Captain America
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If the next Duncan, Wilt, KAJ, Shaq was available at #2, I'm sure the Lakers would have picked him. From what I've read, they measured Oak and felt he was more of a PF size.

I agree with you that I think Okafor will probably not be an all-star type player. People forget that his main skill was feasting on college players in the post, not pro-sized athletes. I don't think his post game will be nearly as effective in the pros. (Especially given he doesn't even have a jump hook). The reason I voted "no" in the poll is because I'm not a big believer in Russell at all. With Okafor you are guaranteed size and we desperately need that on this team. We are already stacked with smallish guards and I'm not sure Russell is even better than Clarkson or will be. All in all I don't hate the pick, but I definitely was disappointed on draft night
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:35 am    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
My question to the doubtful ones in this thread, who would Dr. Buss rather have? Undoubtedly it's Russell. He was a gambler and he went for the home runs. As an Okafor supporter, Russell most definitely has the greater superstar potential of the two. So if Mitch/Jim channeled Dr. Buss in taking D'Angelo, I can't hate on that winning formula.

I also think that he would have picked Russell. The man was desperate to revive the running game, aka Showtime.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject:

zoogz wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
We r fans while mitch/his office do it for living

I am happy with whoever the lakers picked

That's the attitude Jim!

Agreed. I know way too little about Russell and Okafor to critize their pick. They were at the workouts, they've seen theses players play from up close aswell as they've seen some great players play from up close over the years.

I'll just trust their judgment on this one.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject:

Captain America wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I agree with you that I think Okafor will probably not be an all-star type player. People forget that his main skill was feasting on college players in the post, not pro-sized athletes. I don't think his post game will be nearly as effective in the pros. (Especially given he doesn't even have a jump hook). The reason I voted "no" in the poll is because I'm not a big believer in Russell at all. With Okafor you are guaranteed size and we desperately need that on this team. We are already stacked with smallish guards and I'm not sure Russell is even better than Clarkson or will be. All in all I don't hate the pick, but I definitely was disappointed on draft night

Okafor has a great jump hook and rarely missed with it, he just doesn't use it very often because he was so effective at getting to the rim for layups and dunks, but when he used it it went in at very high clip.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:58 am    Post subject:

Dude's gonna be using that hook shot to toss down those Philly cheesesteaks at a pretty efficient rate to drown away the sorrows of landing in that train wreck that is the Sixers.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject:

So many fans over-rating okafor and down-grading russell....bit mind boggling...obviously with one year of college film and two workouts the lakers FO saw something in russell they didn't in okafor...given the FO has had a pretty decent eye for selecting picks especially when they are in the upper part of the draft, you would think there would be a lot more confidence in the process the Lakers use to vet these top prospects....people talk about Okafor like he is going to come in and immediately dominate the league...news flash in all likelihood he's not....I don't think russell is either but like Okafor I expect russell will be able to contribute right away with his scoring and passing. They are both really good prospects, this whole the lakers were influenced by small ball is crazy, is it so hard to believe the lakers viewed russell as the best talent at the number 2 spot? I'm going to enjoy watching people jumping on the russell bandwagon
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject:

I like this D'Angelo Russell pick, would've been fine with Okafor too. Maybe Okafor can turn into a Duncan but just as likely to be like Al Jefferson or even Eddy Curry.
Russell can be like a bigger Chris Paul ... or not

This is a good pick. Now time to go get a big
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject:

I hear the 76ers need new fans. If you miss Okafor THAT MUCH...
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I hear the 76ers need new fans. If you miss Okafor THAT MUCH...

*drops Laker jersey on lower table*

*walks away*

!...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject:

I am ECSTATIC with the Russell pick. Props to GT and anpherknee for hyping him up early in the year.

Once they did I hopped on the bandwagon. He was number 1B after Towns for the remainder of the season. I think the Lakers made the right choice.

Even if Okafor has just as much potential Bball wise, Russell's star power off the court tips the scales. Would love a Lakers - Philly final in a few years, but they'll probably still be tanking
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject:

Why can't folks accept the possibility that BOTH Oak/DRuss play well, and that we only had 1 draft pick?

In their primes, I can see Oak at 24/12; DRuss at 22/10/6 levels. I think both teams (not sure if 76ers will be his final home) will like their picks.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Why can't folks accept the possibility that BOTH Oak/DRuss play well, and that we only had 1 draft pick?

In their primes, I can see Oak at 24/12; DRuss at 22/10/6 levels. I think both teams (not sure if 76ers will be his final home) will like their picks.

Can't really fault FO's work, they followed these top 3 all year and in the end it came down to the workouts and interviews. Unfortunate that OK4 just failed that second workout and D-Lo shined and impressed.
HardButter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject:

Russell recently tested with a faster reaction time than John Wall and is 2.5 inches taller than the avg point guard. His 39' vert gives him a higher reach than Kawhi. We made the right pick.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject:

Good luck to both. I could have lived with either. But of course I'm all in for DRuss.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Good luck to both. I could have lived with either. But of course I'm all in for DRuss.

Agreed. Oakafor seems like a good kid. And you could tell he was disappointed we didn't pick him
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject:

No but in Mitch I trust. It seems like Rus just blew them away at the workouts. If we can land Jordan in FA, all is forgiven.
lakerhi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:

Russell has the greater superstar potential of the two but also the most bust potential!

The thing I hate about reports coming from john Ireland is Russell blew away the Lakers 2nd Workout. Workouts shouldn't mean a lot. It's the game tape that tells the story.

I know it's football but his just reminds me of the NFL when the Rams had Trung Canidate in for a workout and blew them away with his 4.3 speed. Rams selected him in the 1st round and has been considered a bust.

I really hope that doesn't happen but they should've gone after Okafor, since right now the Lakers center position doesn't look good in free agency.

Marc Gasol - most likely goes back to Memphis and won't sign with the Lakers cause of the way they treated his brother Pau.

DeAndre Jordan - Will sign with Dallas or back to the Clippers.

Would you rather have Okafor or Greg Monroe and the Lopez Brothers. I'd go with Okafor.

What do you think?
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject:

HardButter wrote:
Russell recently tested with a faster reaction time than John Wall and is 2.5 inches taller than the avg point guard. His 39' vert gives him a higher reach than Kawhi. We made the right pick.

Yup, very exciting times for lakers fans. So much potential in our young players.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 22 of 33
Jump to: