OFFICIAL GARY LANCE JR THREAD - traded :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 184, 185, 186 ... 219, 220, 221  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
MedRomLaker wrote:
my god I have never seen a player that makes me so frustrated from being so damn unselfish. He really needs to learn to be more greedy and take the shot instead of passing up wide open layups. If he could take 10% of clarkson or randles tunnel vision he would be so much better. Nance can be a good player but he needs to show he can be a threat on the offensive end. I never though I would say this about a player but, Start being more selfish!!!!!!

Spot on! His unselfishness is actually a detriment to his game.

I agree he is an unselfish player but I don't think that is the problem with his offense. He often looks uncomfortable when he has the ball. He often looks hesitant on what to do. Randle is confident that he can make a play either a good pass or a drive or an outside shot. They aren't always good but he is confident. Nance does not see confident, does not put himself in position to get the ball often enough, does not demand the ball like Randle or BI does.

His shooting seems to be okay based on the limited amount of shots he takes but he is not presenting himself in such a way that the ball is coming to him. Maybe Lonzo will find him more if he continue to start.

I think the real reason he is starting is because he doe not need the ball and the bench mob needs some scorers. He still seems to be quiet for long periods of time and I would like to seem him make more of an impact when he is in the game either rebounding, defense or scoring. He should at least get his hands on more balls around the rim.

It just seems like he has the skills to be better in every aspect of the game but isn't quite there yet. He will be 25 in Jan so he should be getting near his peak physically and this is his 3rd year playing. If he is going to breakout we should see some signs this year.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject:

Nance is a good energy player off the bench and a good rebounder. Plays decent defense.
His problem is he can't shoot.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:

He is better than a decent defender. He covers a ton of ground and is exceptional in providing help D. He has a good outside shot while working out (tapes of him demonstrate that). However, he never thinks about his shot (or anything offensively for that matter) which is hurting his game. Eventually, defenders will not even bother to guard him. He needs to step it out and at least keep defenders honest.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject:

Larry is aware of the problem and will work it out. We'll all be witnesses of the new Larry Legend.

Quote:
Larry Nance Jr. got down on himself after a couple of turnovers early in the third quarter and Luke Walton told him to channel and re-direct his emotions. "I got to pull myself out of these little funks that I get in," Nance said. "At the same time energy is always there. I put in a whole lot of work. I am one heck of an offensive player. I really am. I just got to show it and have the confidence to show it."
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject:

Don't know what we're expecting from him. He's a physical specimen made for defense and the occasional highlight dunk, he is not a player you have in your starting 5 and expect any offense from. It's obvious Randle should start ahead of him and all this talk of Nance over Randle was unfounded. I want him to succeed but he isn't a starter, simple as that. Which is fine cause the majority of the NBA isn't starters, it's guys off the bench.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Larry is aware of the problem and will work it out. We'll all be witnesses of the new Larry Legend.

Quote:
Larry Nance Jr. got down on himself after a couple of turnovers early in the third quarter and Luke Walton told him to channel and re-direct his emotions. "I got to pull myself out of these little funks that I get in," Nance said. "At the same time energy is always there. I put in a whole lot of work. I am one heck of an offensive player. I really am. I just got to show it and have the confidence to show it."

Thanks for sharing this! He is such a likable kid. I really hope he can show his offensive capabilities.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:

He drew a foul last night trying to take his man off the dribble, so maybe he is being more aggressive. I didn't notice any hesitation on his one jumper either.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

I don't feel he's destined to be a starting caliber player, but he can still contribute as a bench player.
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject:

Larry just needs to be able to convert on the easy opportunity he gets, i like his defense and don’t have a problem with him starting for now until Kuzma works his way up into the starting lineup
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Quote:

Thanks for sharing this! He is such a likable kid. I really hope he can show his offensive capabilities.
Likable kids don't always make in in the NBA
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Sojo wrote:
Don't know what we're expecting from him. He's a physical specimen made for defense and the occasional highlight dunk, he is not a player you have in your starting 5 and expect any offense from. It's obvious Randle should start ahead of him and all this talk of Nance over Randle was unfounded. I want him to succeed but he isn't a starter, simple as that. Which is fine cause the majority of the NBA isn't starters, it's guys off the bench.

What are you talking about?
He's a heck of an offensive player!
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Sojo wrote:

Stats don't really reflect that. Decent FG percentage but offense is really not what he should be focused on cause it won't bear out like rebounding and defense will. 80/20 principle.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

What LNJ showed while he was at Wyoming. It's like he thinks he's surrounded by stars and defers to them on the Lakers, but at Wyoming, he was the star.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

Quote:

Actions speak louder than words.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
What LNJ showed while he was at Wyoming. It's like he thinks he's surrounded by stars and defers to them on the Lakers, but at Wyoming, he was the star.

Based on Luke's coaching method of talking up mediocre players and downplaying others for often superfluous reasons, I wouldn't be surprised if he legitimately thinks that.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:

Sojo wrote:

He doesn't need to score to be an impact player. His problem is he doesn't impose his physical advantages with consistency in all the little areas of the game, too. He could have a 2-point, 10 rebound, 2 block, 3 steal game and lockdown on D to make a huge impact. When he's on, he's flying around the court, but it's like he's trying to play like a 32 year old instead of the young, athletic beast he his. He needs to channel his inner Dennis Rodman if he wants to hold a starters spot. Doesn't need to score, but can still play impact ball every game.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Sojo wrote:

No he isn’t
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:
Sojo wrote:

No he isn’t

Lol, did LNJ really say that??
tnell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Based on Luke's coaching method of talking up mediocre players and downplaying others for often superfluous reasons, I wouldn't be surprised if he legitimately thinks that.

You're really upset with what Luke said about Kuzma huh
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Sojo wrote:

He doesn't need to score to be an impact player. His problem is he doesn't impose his physical advantages with consistency in all the little areas of the game, too. He could have a 2-point, 10 rebound, 2 block, 3 steal game and lockdown on D to make a huge impact. When he's on, he's flying around the court, but it's like he's trying to play like a 32 year old instead of the young, athletic beast he his. He needs to channel his inner Dennis Rodman if he wants to hold a starters spot. Doesn't need to score, but can still play impact ball every game.

And that's exactly what I'm saying, to get the most out of him, concentrate on what he can get the most out of: rebounding and defense. 80% of your output comes from the 20%. Sometimes it is counter productive to try and squeeze more out of what you struggle most with when you can maximize what you're really good at. He's obviously made for hustle and defense.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Luke also doesn't punish players consistently.

Luke has an excuse ready for guys like that.

When Larry sucked in pre-season and didn't play well as a starter, especially last game where he was outplayed by Randle. Luke had an excuse ready.

He said essentially "Well Larry just sometimes lets his emotions get the better of him. But I know he's a better player than he showed, he's just gotta show it, and not let the emotions get the best of him."

Right.. so he sucked as a starter cause he got too emotional.. and he was outplayed all pre-season by Randle cause Larry was up in his feelings....

it's not that Larry's upside is a bench power forward.. no no no, he's REALLY starting power forward material except when he's emotional...

See this is the problem with Luke. With some guys it's "you play well for a stretch of games, but mess up once, you sit the bench." Other guys can suck for games on end and still get rewarded by him and an excuse given for why they're sucking.

Luke just needs to quit the bullsquat, and play the best players to start the game. You want to get off to a good start. You don't want your entire identity to be "Slow start, and then the bench will bail us out because all the shot creators our starting lineup needs I have put on the bench cause reasons."
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject:

good job sir
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject:

+3 tonight, which I don't even know how is possible.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject:

He looked good today. Griffin started winning the battle in the 2nd and 3rd, but frankly that's nothing to be ashamed of.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Lol going hard against Larry to prop up others. Well at least anphernee gives credit.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 184, 185, 186 ... 219, 220, 221  Next
Page 185 of 221
Jump to: