OFFICIAL GARY LANCE JR THREAD - traded :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 219, 220, 221  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:
He's athletic but seems like a man without a position. Now if he develops a jump shot, maybe there is something there but too easy to get sucked into the athletic side and ignore the basketball side. I mean Kwame was athletically a beast but we know how that turned out.
There's always room for a guy who can play defense and rebound. Michael Cooper came into the league without a reliable outside shot and he was 6' 7" / 180 (or less). It took him several years to become a good 3 pt shooter, and he became the backup pg for years, although he wasn't a natural fit. Nance excels on defense, can rebound, block shots, and says he's been working on his shot throughout the summer. Shots can be developed and I'm not worried about him. Dennis Rodman never developed an outside shot and he had a simillar body type to Nance. He'll be fine.

And if he does that, great, but what I saw in summer league was an athlete with no real basketball skill. Right now he is a liability on offense, sort of an athletic Mark Madsen.
Ok, so he's like Dennis Rodman. I'll take that.

The skill he has shown is that he can guard opponents better than most people and that's why he was his conference's defensive player of the year. He averaged 16 ppg for his squad so he can obviously figure out how to put the ball in the hole when it's his turn.

I don't put a lot of stock into what college players haven't learned to do yet because they spent their time in school doing homework, practicing with the team, and occasionally working on certain aspects of their game. Now Nance Jr. has probably worked on his game with more freedom while concentrating on aspects of his game to a level that he never has before. It will be imperative for him to develop additional ability and he's shown the work ethic to improve, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him improve somewhat even during the season.

I've seen too many guys who seemingly couldn't shoot, learn to shoot very well from outside (K. Malone, C. Webber, and many more). We'll start gaining insight next Sunday, game 1.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:
He's athletic but seems like a man without a position. Now if he develops a jump shot, maybe there is something there but too easy to get sucked into the athletic side and ignore the basketball side. I mean Kwame was athletically a beast but we know how that turned out.
There's always room for a guy who can play defense and rebound. Michael Cooper came into the league without a reliable outside shot and he was 6' 7" / 180 (or less). It took him several years to become a good 3 pt shooter, and he became the backup pg for years, although he wasn't a natural fit. Nance excels on defense, can rebound, block shots, and says he's been working on his shot throughout the summer. Shots can be developed and I'm not worried about him. Dennis Rodman never developed an outside shot and he had a simillar body type to Nance. He'll be fine.

And if he does that, great, but what I saw in summer league was an athlete with no real basketball skill. Right now he is a liability on offense, sort of an athletic Mark Madsen.

The skill he has shown is that he can guard opponents better than most people and that's why he was his conference's defensive player of the year. He averaged 16 ppg for his squad so he can obviously figure out how to put the ball in the hole when it's his turn.

I don't put a lot of stock into what college players haven't learned to do yet because they spent their time in school doing homework, practicing with the team, and occasionally working on certain aspects of their game. Now Nance Jr. has probably worked on his game with more freedom while concentrating on aspects of his game to a level that he never has before. It will be imperative for him to develop additional ability and he's shown the work ethic to improve, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him improve somewhat even during the season.

I've seen too many guys who seemingly couldn't shoot, learn to shoot very well from outside (K. Malone, C. Webber, and many more). We'll start gaining insight next Sunday, game 1.

if he learns to shoot... and be a little more cerebral and careful with his ball handling, that's a draymond.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Someone in the lakers organization called him Luke Wilton's BBiq with Wesley johnsons athleticism. Thad one hell of a ball player TBH.

Personally, I think the kid is Going to be very similar to Dennis Rodman (style wise). Super athlete who hangs his hat on defense and rebounding and had a very high motor.

He's going to be really, really good with or without the jumper IMO. His father gave him the blueprint to a long night career already...effort.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject:

Worthy working with this kid too along with Metta could turn him into a monster.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject:

https://youtu.be/_Qfy8j4iL4g?t=9m40s

Check out how high he jumps !
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:04 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Worthy working with this kid too along with Metta could turn him into a monster.

LNjr has the athleticism, the drive and the energy to develop into an NBA player. I hope he makes the team and can actually contribute this season.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Someone in the lakers organization called him Luke Wilton's BBiq with Wesley johnsons athleticism. Thad one hell of a ball player TBH.

Personally, I think the kid is Going to be very similar to Dennis Rodman (style wise). Super athlete who hangs his hat on defense and rebounding and had a very high motor.

He's going to be really, really good with or without the jumper IMO. His father gave him the blueprint to a long night career already...effort.

Agree. But the ONE reason I want this kid to develop a nice jumper, which I'm certain he can, is for him to be the perfect complement at the 3 with Julius at the 4 and eventually Upshaw at the 5.

I'm not viewing him as our starting 3 for the next ten years, but his weak side defense and shot blocking prowess with a jumper could make us a force.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Agree. But the ONE reason I want this kid to develop a nice jumper, which I'm certain he can, is for him to be the perfect complement at the 3 with Julius at the 4 and eventually Upshaw at the 5.

I'm not viewing him as our starting 3 for the next ten years, but his weak side defense and shot blocking prowess with a jumper could make us a force.

This. Any of Nance or Upshaw pans out, and we have an incredible young nucleus
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
https://youtu.be/_Qfy8j4iL4g?t=9m40s

Check out how high he jumps !

Madsen's hilarious. He'd be a breath of fresh air from Byron's hyper macho posture.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject:

I'm intrigued by Nance. I think he can be a do-it-all kind of utility player that a lot of the top teams have today (and his insane athleticism certainly is an added bonus).
Troublesome626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject:

that dunk
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/jacesongrubbs/status/655595277345140736

For anyone who missed the dunk
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject:

I loved that 3 even more. Develop that rep as a decent shooter and he will see the floor open up for him. Despite beig tentative, the made a huge impact energy wise

Last edited by twisted on Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Troublesome626 wrote:
that dunk

probably the best highlight of the preseason.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Dat dunk tho....

Besides the dunk, I really liked Nance's effort tonight. Played with a lot of activity on both ends of the court.
Lakers 4 eva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject:

If he can develop a 3 pointer, he can be a Robert Horry type of player. Horry was really athletic in his younger days
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

This is how high Larry got up on that dunk: http://i.imgur.com/uo1OAvZ.png
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

Yong wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:

if he learns to shoot... and be a little more cerebral and careful with his ball handling, that's a draymond.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Wait til he really gets comfortable. I've been watching since draft night.We've got a gem. After its confirmed that Upshaw has made the team this draft class will be rated very special.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject:

His arm was up there so high when he threw it down, like, bro. Festis can jump and Larry actually went over him, wasn't to the side.
https://twitter.com/steve_os/status/655591037868617728 Look at this pic jazus
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject:

I liked the fade away and the 3 point shot. Make guys guard you Nance! Keep it up!
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Remember when everyone was crying about him on draft night?
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:
This is how high Larry got up on that dunk: http://i.imgur.com/uo1OAvZ.png

WOW
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject:

That wae Blake Griffin like.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Wait til he really gets comfortable. I've been watching since draft night.We've got a gem. After its confirmed that Upshaw has made the team this draft class will be rated very special.

Upshaw
Randle
Nance
Russell
Clarkson

me likey. won't complain if we luck into ben simmons though
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 219, 220, 221  Next
Page 43 of 221
Jump to: