OFFICIAL GARY LANCE JR THREAD - traded :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120 ... 219, 220, 221  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
tox wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
I think it's interesting that nance compared himself to Harrison Barnes instead of draymond. Wouldn't it be interesting if nance is the player sliding over to the 3 and deng plays the 4?

Huh? He only used Barnes to show how players in the offense will get tons of 3s, and will need to make those 3s. That was Barnes' role, and that's why he was mentioned...

I understand. I just find it interesting that he used the starting 3 from gsw to illustrate his point. IMO it hints at how he views himself.

Fair enough. Though I'll disagree on that interpretation, defense is right that he did mention playing the 3 last year. So maybe you are onto something, even if I don't see it from this quote.

Fwiw, Barnes played a fair amount at 4 last year, including most of the time that Draymond switched to five. That was their Death lineup, and one that la may emulate with randle in the Draymond role. And I think he was specifically speaking of Barnes in that role in regards to shooting. It is a given that a three is supposed to shoot 3s. He was speaking of the stretch element at four.

This is the most likely answer. I still wonder why he thinks it's important to work on his ball handling. He seems like his ball handling is good enough after watching summer league to play the 4

Because he rarely ever ever handled the ball last year......And now he's been thrown into the Draymond role. (And he got ripped once or twice in SL)
4s working on ball handling is probly the most en vogue skill training around the league, I'd bet.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject:

I'm one of those guys that thinks even centers should work on their ball handling. I mean you don't have to dribble like Iverson but better ball handling can benefit any player. The players who limit themselves will never be as good as they can be. Imagine if magic stopped handling the ball because people told him 6'9 guys shouldn't handle.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
tox wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
I think it's interesting that nance compared himself to Harrison Barnes instead of draymond. Wouldn't it be interesting if nance is the player sliding over to the 3 and deng plays the 4?

Huh? He only used Barnes to show how players in the offense will get tons of 3s, and will need to make those 3s. That was Barnes' role, and that's why he was mentioned...

I understand. I just find it interesting that he used the starting 3 from gsw to illustrate his point. IMO it hints at how he views himself.

Fair enough. Though I'll disagree on that interpretation, defense is right that he did mention playing the 3 last year. So maybe you are onto something, even if I don't see it from this quote.

Fwiw, Barnes played a fair amount at 4 last year, including most of the time that Draymond switched to five. That was their Death lineup, and one that la may emulate with randle in the Draymond role. And I think he was specifically speaking of Barnes in that role in regards to shooting. It is a given that a three is supposed to shoot 3s. He was speaking of the stretch element at four.

This is the most likely answer. I still wonder why he thinks it's important to work on his ball handling. He seems like his ball handling is good enough after watching summer league to play the 4

Because he rarely ever ever handled the ball last year......And now he's been thrown into the Draymond role. (And he got ripped once or twice in SL)
4s working on ball handling is probly the most en vogue skill training around the league, I'd bet.

That's probably likely as well but if I were nance I would want to be able to play as many positions as possible in order to get the most minutes possible. If he can backup Randle and nance as well as play some minutes at center he could get starter minutes in a backup role. Similar to Lamar odom
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Nance told he was working on his euro step, floaters and shooting. With those same qualities and pushing the ball like he did in summer league I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as the starting PF.

Luke told in another interview that Ingram isn't a lock to come from the bench, it is just the way it usually happens with rookies when you have a solid veteran, but the best player will start. As talented as Julius is and with a higher ceiling IMHO, Nance may be a better fit alongside the starters and before watching Julius play this season I believe Nance can be more prepared to start.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Nance told he was working on his euro step, floaters and shooting. With those same qualities and pushing the ball like he did in summer league I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as the starting PF.

Luke told in another interview that Ingram isn't a lock to come from the bench, it is just the way it usually happens with rookies when you have a solid veteran, but the best player will start. As talented as Julius is and with a higher ceiling IMHO, Nance may be a better fit alongside the starters and before watching Julius play this season I believe Nance can be more prepared to start.

So basically based on nothing you think Nance should start over Randle? I am sure glad Luke is making decisions and you are just comfortable being wrong on a message board.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
nash wrote:

So basically based on nothing you think Nance should start over Randle? I am sure glad Luke is making decisions and you are just comfortable being wrong on a message board.

I didn't tell he should start, I told it's a possibility and it's not based on nothing. If (big IF here) we have a healthy version of Nance from last season, with a consistent jump shot, an euro step and floaters pushing the tempo like Julius can do, why do you think it's out of question Nance starting?

We still have to see the improved version of Randle, but he shouldn't be the starter by default just because he is a lottery pick. In the long run I like Julius potential better, but short term I'm not so sure as you are that he is a better PF than Nance or even Deng another guy that can fight for the position once Ingram starts to produce the way he is projected to do in the future.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
nash wrote:

I didn't tell he should start, I told it's a possibility and it's not based on nothing. If (big IF here) we have a healthy version of Nance from last season, with a consistent jump shot, an euro step and floaters pushing the tempo like Julius can do, why do you think it's out of question Nance starting?

We still have to see the improved version of Randle, but he shouldn't be the starter by default just because he is a lottery pick. In the long run I like Julius potential better, but short term I'm not so sure as you are that he is a better PF than Nance or even Deng another guy that can fight for the position once Ingram starts to produce the way he is projected to do in the future.

That is proof you are basing your opinion on nothing. "Hey, I haven't seen anything yet, but I will make my opinion anyway".
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Nance was praising Byron saying he did a lot for his development. Maybe he wasn't completely useless after all.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Nance was praising Byron saying he did a lot for his development. Maybe he wasn't a completely useless after all.

I'm no means a Anti-Scott crowd, I truly believe he helped the young players grow some balls, by overusing them last season, basically he used his bootcamp tactics and made them understand that the NBA is a different animal.

The problem with last season was the fact that the team was caught up with Kobe and not for themselves which was hinted by Randle.. IIRC.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Nance was praising Byron saying he did a lot for his development. Maybe he wasn't completely useless after all.

Well he did give him PT, I wasn't really expecting much from Nance or Brown at the start of last season.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:

Well, Russell praised last year's staff for helping him with his post game.

It's not like they did literally nothing right (though it's fun to hyperbolize that). It's just the bad vastly outweighed the good.

In the case of Nance, he's the kind of guy whom Scott would like (humble, hard-working, coachable) and can't poison (4 year college player means he doesn't need to be taught proper offensive and defensive principles as much). So yeah, in this particular case, I could certainly see Byron being pretty passable. It's more how he handled Russell, Clarkson, Brown, Randle, Black (public feuds, sticking someone only against KD, not teaching defense, not teaching offense, benching someone for not being "mean" etc.) where his shortcomings are a lot more apparent.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Scott did help the young players, but the lack of talent especially from the vets like Hibbert when we needed his presence hurt the team last season.

Actually most of the vets we got last year were inconsistent, maybe this time the vets will actually be more helpful.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
zePokar wrote:

It's not like they did literally nothing right (though it's fun to hyperbolize that). It's just the bad vastly outweighed the good.

In the case of Nance, he's the kind of guy whom Scott would like (humble, hard-working, coachable) and can't poison (4 year college player means he doesn't need to be taught proper offensive and defensive principles as much). So yeah, in this particular case, I could certainly see Byron being pretty passable. It's more how he handled Russell, Clarkson, Brown, Randle, Black (public feuds, sticking someone only against KD, not teaching defense, not teaching offense, benching someone for not being "mean" etc.) where his shortcomings are a lot more apparent.

True, Nance is a Byron type of guy.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
tox wrote:
zePokar wrote:

True, Nance is a Byron type of guy.

Byron is not very patient with younger players and basically can't relate to them which is one of his many flaws.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject:

Here's something that we haven't really discussed yet:

What if Luke decides to use Larry nance as our starting SF in order to play deng at the 4 where he's better?

If Nance really has worked on his 3-point shot, why wouldn't he be able to play the 3?

Russell
Clarskon
Nance
Randle
mos

Go with youth in the starting lineup and allow the vets to play together and solidify our bench.

Lou
Young
Ingram
Deng
Yi/black/zubac

Our bench might be the best in the NBA if they go this way

This also allows Ingram to run point forward in the second unit
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject:

During an interview after practice #2 MWP was asked if it as true that Randle and Nance are shooting better. MWP avoided talking about Randle, but he said Nance is really shooting well. What we saw in the spl was apparently real and since then he's had time to polish his game up even more. I'm looking forward to the Euro step an floaters he said he's been working on and how much more of an offensive threat he becomes with those new weapons.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject:

Larry is in a strange position because size wise he is sf/pf but has the skills of a c/pf. Its a good thing he is trying to expand his game because that will maximize his time on the court.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject:

Nance vs Randle will be one of the more interesting battles to watch in preseason. Luke praised Randle's ability to push the ball, but Nance appeared to be equally as impressive.

I do agree with PNP that Nance and/or Yi might be able to play the 3. Both of them said the positions have not been discussed yet -- all indications point to Luke experimenting with very interesting line-ups in training camp and preseason.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:

What if Luke decides to use Larry nance as our starting SF in order to play deng at the 4 where he's better?

If Nance really has worked on his 3-point shot, why wouldn't he be able to play the 3?

Russell
Clarskon
Nance
Randle
mos

Go with youth in the starting lineup and allow the vets to play together and solidify our bench.

Lou
Young
Ingram
Deng
Yi/black/zubac

There are reasons that hasn't been discussed, mainly because it is highly unlikely to happen.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Russell
Clarskon
Nance
Randle
mos

Lou
Young
Ingram
Deng
Yi/black/zubac

There are reasons that hasn't been discussed, mainly because it is highly unlikely to happen.

Go read what Grass fed trainer said about nance earlier this summer. Talked about his huge advantage against 3's.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Russell
Clarskon
Nance
Randle
mos

Lou
Young
Ingram
Deng
Yi/black/zubac

Go read what Grass fed trainer said about nance earlier this summer. Talked about his huge advantage against 3's.

Here's Tim's assessment on Nance at the three position:

Quote:
DiFrancesco went as far as to call the added mass "necessary" for Nance's upcoming sophomore season. He also considers it a plus in case Nance continues to get minutes at small forward, which then-head coach Byron Scott started experimenting with toward the end of the year.

For what it's worth, new head coach Luke Walton said that he plans to run a system similar to that of Golden State, which includes plenty of small-ball lineups.

“He’s already athletically above and beyond most guys at the three position,” DiFrancesco said. “It only will help him to have some of that lean mass. I think other threes are sort of at a disadvantage athletically against him already.

Seems to me like it's one of those things that will be experimented with before the season starts. A while ago, I recall Phil going with his crazy preseason line-ups, which included Fisher/Kobe/Odom/Gasol/Bynum. Don't think it worked out too well but everyone wanted to see him trot it out.
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Playing Nance at the 3 doesn't sound appealing at all. He's a pf/c, I'd prefer using his versatility against big man as opposed to having him trying to keep up with wingmen. Let him and Randle battle for the starting spot. I like the fact that Luke hasn't pegged his starters yet, let them earn it.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject:

I am a big LNJ fan. Whatever gets the guy out on the court should be embraced - He's an intelligent / super athletic baller that could play the 3,4 or 5 like the Matrix used to while in Phoenix. Great attitude, seems like a team player and a guy that will dive on the floor for loose balls. If he can add a consistent 3 ball then sky is the limit for dis guy.

Aint nothin wrong wit dat
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject:

I see a lot of people saying Nance is super athletic but he really seems like a good leaper and not the most agile guy. I actually think Randle is quicker/more athletic just not as good a leaper. I bet Randle gets off the floor faster on his second and third jumps while Nance has to gather himself. I think Randle is also noticeably quicker laterally. The great thing about Nance is that he will give you everything he has while he's out there and that is something you cant say about every player.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Russell
Clarskon
Nance
Randle
mos

Lou
Young
Ingram
Deng
Yi/black/zubac

He has no say in the lineup, so it doesn't matter what he says. And Deng didn't come here to backup Larry Nance, Deng is a much better player.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120 ... 219, 220, 221  Next
Page 119 of 221
Jump to: