OFFICIAL GARY LANCE JR THREAD - traded :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167 ... 219, 220, 221  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

I don't want to bring this debate back but here I am. Watching Russell start without Randle lately, I've come to the conclusion Randle has more potential as a star than Larry Nance, I believe he can become an all star if he continues improving his shot, but I think that Nance is a much better fit as a starting PF with Russell than Randle is. I also don't think that Larry is the final solution at starting PF longterm if we're competing in the future. That's my final answer on that debate. We have the option to extend Randle soon and I'd rather keep Larry and sell high on Randle. I've also become a huge fan of Randle this season, moreso than last, so this kind of bums me out.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:

In the lakerfilmroom.com podcast, GT and Darius speculate that our 6 "young core" members will NOT all be here when a championship caliber team is finally built. I agree. It would have been cool to see Eddie Jones and NVE win some rings with Kobe and Shaq, but sometimes there are fit issues and key players are traded away for others, and some players are sacrificed so others can reach their full potential.

So I don't know how that Nance/Randle issue will work out, but as fans we should probably be prepared to see one of them on a different team in a few years.

The last time we had a young core during the lottery era (Jones, Van Exel, Campbell, etc) none of them were on the team when we were ready to win championships.

As for Larry, a couple of nice games after a real stinker, that is great to see. I would definitely monitor his health, he might be one of those guys you only have for 60-70 games a season.

You mean like Randle who played 1 game his first season and 60 his second? Your bias is real, embrace it.

I didn't say anything about Randle, that is your bias. This is a Nance thread.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
I don't want to bring this debate back but here I am. Watching Russell start without Randle lately, I've come to the conclusion Randle has more potential as a star than Larry Nance, I believe he can become an all star if he continues improving his shot, but I think that Nance is a much better fit as a starting PF with Russell than Randle is. I also don't think that Larry is the final solution at starting PF longterm if we're competing in the future. That's my final answer on that debate. We have the option to extend Randle soon and I'd rather keep Larry and sell high on Randle. I've also become a huge fan of Randle this season, moreso than last, so this kind of bums me out.

I'm not sure either of them are starting players because of their inability to space the floor. Unless you get a center who can shoot threes (cough Cousins), it's a major issue in this offense. Randle has the double strike against in that he's a bad defender at a very important position. Ultimately, there are just too many 6'9" players on this team.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Good game

Usuallyl plays well when he gets minutes not that he doesn't when he gets less but he seems to pick it up.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

You are not alone
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Good game by Larry tonight, some nice chemistry with JC. That bench has the chance to be special in a few years.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject:

I hold my breath every time I see Nance fall to the floor after jumping into traffic.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject:

Man Gary lance, when healthy, is a great contributor. He just gets it. Great glue guy that Gary
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject:

Larry is a Laker for life, don't ever let this kid go away
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject:

Happy for him. He is one of three players not for trade in my opinion. Great player to have in the team. 100 % of effort every single night. As a fan I am always proud that he is Laker. And its not the case with all of our players. Its not because of the results its because of effort and hustle every night. With LNJ you now exactly what to expect.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
I hold my breath every time I see Nance fall to the floor after jumping into traffic.

Yup. Wonder will his health be a continued question over his career?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject:

10 points, 10 rebounds, 3 steals, great defense!

His dunks are a thing of beauty!

Glad to see Larry really healthy. Love his game and work ethic.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject:

The Lakers don't win when Larry is not healthy. Good to see him balling!
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

If I had to choose between LNJ and JR right now, I'd still take LNJ. The problem with our team is consistency, and while I think JR has made some improvements this year, they're still only minor ones. LNJ brings it every game, and that's what you need.

Unless Julius improves with his consistency, I don't think he's NBA starter material let alone all-star caliber.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject:

misterrunon wrote:
If I had to choose between LNJ and JR right now, I'd still take LNJ. The problem with our team is consistency, and while I think JR has made some improvements this year, they're still only minor ones. LNJ brings it every game, and that's what you need.

Unless Julius improves with his consistency, I don't think he's NBA starter material let alone all-star caliber.

Then you haven't been watching.

Maybe he needs a 3rd triple double this year to prove it, or maybe finish higher than the 60% at the rim he's finishing at now up from the 50s he did in his real rookie year, or improve his mid range shot to 45% up from 20ish% last season.

If anyone watches Julius Randle this year and tries to say his changes and improvements are just minor they haven't watched enough of him last year in comparison to this year. Night and day and does the things this year that people were doubting he'd be able to implement in this off-season when he was everyone's whipping boy and treated like our weakest piece.

Not only was he the member of our young group that made the most improvements and changes in his game this off-season he's also currently the best of our three currently as it stands as well as the most consistent.

So if you benched Randle you'd have to bench Russell and Ingram too, because Randle's made more adjustments than them AND has been more consistent this season.

And Larry Nance Jr is still a role player that is perfect right where he is.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

misterrunon wrote:

Why downgrade one Laker to prop up another? Pathetic.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
misterrunon wrote:

Maybe he needs a 3rd triple double this year to prove it, or maybe finish higher than the 60% at the rim he's finishing at now up from the 50s he did in his real rookie year, or improve his mid range shot to 45% up from 20ish% last season.

If anyone watches Julius Randle this year and tries to say his changes and improvements are just minor they haven't watched enough of him last year in comparison to this year. Night and day and does the things this year that people were doubting he'd be able to implement in this off-season when he was everyone's whipping boy and treated like our weakest piece.

Not only was he the member of our young group that made the most improvements and changes in his game this off-season he's also currently the best of our three currently as it stands as well as the most consistent.

So if you benched Randle you'd have to bench Russell and Ingram too, because Randle's made more adjustments than them AND has been more consistent this season.

Ingram's a rookie. Adjustment from what?

FWIW, Randle's iso rate is steadily creeping up to last season's insane level when everyone blamed it in on Byron's crappy offense. He's certainly a better player offensively, but there's been no sea change in style.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
MJST wrote:
misterrunon wrote:

FWIW, Randle's iso rate is steadily creeping up to last season's insane level when everyone blamed it in on Byron's crappy offense. He's certainly a better player offensively, but there's been no sea change in style.

There has been a change in style as well as his efficiency in executing the iso's he dealt with last year.

Again, he's been our best young player this year and most consistent, so a responsibility increase is merited to a kid that has grown and become more efficient, as opposed to thrown at a kid who wasn't ready and hadn't played basketball in a year. He's also passing more and setting up more high percentage looks for his teammates during that process than he ever did last year while also taking more jumpers from mid as opposed to ALWAYS forcing it against the defense. But his style hasn't changed...

Alrighty then.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
MJST wrote:
misterrunon wrote:

There has been a change in style as well as his efficiency in executing the iso's he dealt with last year.

Again, he's been our best young player this year and most consistent, so a responsibility increase is merited to a kid that has grown and become more efficient, as opposed to thrown at a kid who wasn't ready and hadn't played basketball in a year. He's also passing more and setting up more high percentage looks for his teammates during that process than he ever did last year while also taking more jumpers from mid as opposed to ALWAYS forcing it against the defense. But his style hasn't changed...

Alrighty then.

This is just factual hogwash. His percentage of shots from 10-16 ft are static and from 16-<3 there's actually been a significant dip (.156 to .097). I don't know where you get your numbers from, but you need to try a different site.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
MJST wrote:
misterrunon wrote:

Alrighty then.

He can be your favorite young player, but I just couldn't find any numbers telling he is our best young player. You also don't need to call out folks comparing him to Nance because they are both young players that play the same position and you may not expect everybody as sold on Julius as you when both Black and Nance have better stats.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

Randle's going to be a terrific player in time. I just don't know about his fit. He must improve as a defender at his position or really become a better shooter so he can work off-ball more. One of these two things must happen for his future fit on the Lakers.

I think he's better suited to a team that has a center with good rim protection but needs another scorer.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Oh its the Larry Randle thread...

LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarank_risingstars_4150/nbarank-rising-stars-41-50
Quote:

Stats & Info: For the second straight season, Nance ranks among the top 25 power forwards in Defensive Real Plus-Minus. His 1.2 steals per game lead all frontcourt players who have not started any games this season.

Ranked #48 in ESPN's under-25 rising stars.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject:

TAKE YOUR DAMN OPEN SHOTS YOU'RE KILLING ME!

Nice game otherwise
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject:

SHOOT THE (bleep) BALL GARY
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167 ... 219, 220, 221  Next
Page 166 of 221
Jump to: