OFFICIAL GARY LANCE JR THREAD - traded :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 173, 174, 175 ... 219, 220, 221  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
dao wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:
Serena Winters: Luke Walton acknowledged it’s a small sample size (5 games), but that Larry Nance Jr. has done an “incredible” job in the starting lineup. 1 day ago – via Twitter SerenaWinter
The starting unit definitely plays better with Nance than without him. Luke knows that. Hopefully he does something about it next season. Nance obviously won't start at center next year, so Randle has to be moved to the 2nd unit. I think he'd do well there, it would allow him to be more ball dominant and use his point forward skills.

Honestly though, since Deng's best position is PF, we could start Nance at PF and have Deng play backup PF. Losing Randle would have very little negative effects on the team. In fact, I think a Nance first unit PF, Deng second unit PF, would actually be an upgrade to our current situation. Better defense, better spacing.

Really hope the FO can find a way to trade Randle this offseason.

I really don't understand Luke's resistance to it. Maybe he's just such a good, jovial guy that Luke doesn't have the heart to do it, but everything about his game screams 6th man to me. Even defensively he'd be able to expend more energy on a shorter minute count, which I suspect, other than the A.D.D. moments, is the main issue there. And I agree with Tox. It hasn't improved at all.
agreed. Randle's skills are well suited for the sixth man role. I think he'd excel in that role. His poor defense would be less problematic playing against second units, and his ball handling skills would allow him to be the focal point of the second unit offense.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
nash wrote:
tox wrote:

Yes, the starters with Zubac were good but that's on the basis of one game (the early Hawks game).

Actually 3 games, not just Hawks game as previously stated

Not a good sample size, but while we lost a bit of mobility Zubac is a better passer than Mozgov. Mozg turns the ball over way too much if you run the offense through him, he has to be the finisher. I believe Zubac is going to improve his mobility in the near future.

That's weird, but I don't think it matters since it's 15 minutes whether spread out over 1 game or 3.

I agree on your evaluation on Zubac vs Mozgov. Their success with Moz this year (who also struggles in space) makes me pretty excited for what the unit could do with a 22 y/o Zu, who offers way more on offense. Not as excited with a 20 y/o Zu though -- I'm worried about how he'd fare on defense.
it's definitely encouraging to see that we have been solid defensively with Mozgov. A lot of people are down on Zubac's defensive potential, but I think he will eventually be a very good "traditional" defensive big man. He's terrible right now because he has so little experience playing high level basketball, and his body is quite underdeveloped. He is a highly intelligent player though, so he will eventually learn to play defense. He's already a very good shot blocker. He'll never be able to switch onto perimeter players, but I don't think you need a mobile center to play good defense. If Marc Gasol can be DPOY, Zubac's lack of mobility shouldn't limit him from becoming a good defender. High intelligence + natural shot blocking ability + excellent size should allow him to be a very solid defensive player.

Hopefully it doesn't take him that long to improve though. I think he'll be much better defensively next year. This offseason I'm sure the coaching staff will have him watching plenty of film to learn about defense.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
dao wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:
Serena Winters: Luke Walton acknowledged it’s a small sample size (5 games), but that Larry Nance Jr. has done an “incredible” job in the starting lineup. 1 day ago – via Twitter SerenaWinter
The starting unit definitely plays better with Nance than without him. Luke knows that. Hopefully he does something about it next season. Nance obviously won't start at center next year, so Randle has to be moved to the 2nd unit. I think he'd do well there, it would allow him to be more ball dominant and use his point forward skills.

Honestly though, since Deng's best position is PF, we could start Nance at PF and have Deng play backup PF. Losing Randle would have very little negative effects on the team. In fact, I think a Nance first unit PF, Deng second unit PF, would actually be an upgrade to our current situation. Better defense, better spacing.

I really don't understand Luke's resistance to it. Maybe he's just such a good, jovial guy that Luke doesn't have the heart to do it, but everything about his game screams 6th man to me. Even defensively he'd be able to expend more energy on a shorter minute count, which I suspect, other than the A.D.D. moments, is the main issue there. And I agree with Tox. It hasn't improved at all.

Or maybe it is because Luke sees Randle as the better option at PF for what he wants to teach the team? His defense at the end of the game against Karl Towns was a highlight of what he is capable of. He muscled Towns out onto the perimeter and didn't let him get anything inside. Meanwhile both Towns and Dieng were pushing Nance around like a rag doll. Luke sees the roles for the guys on the team, and he sees the potential in Randle to do what he asks from him. And Nance as well, though Luke obviously sees him as a backup.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Nice double-double tonight for LNjr. 13 points, 11 rebounds with 3 steals.

Can't wait to see him develop his outside shot over the summer.
PassTheBooze
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject:

horford lite and good championship level role player if he can keep working on his jumpshot
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Larry was a beast in that fourth quarter. Dude gets after it like that and wrecks house for opponents. Flying around the court and imposing his will. Loved it. If he can wrap his mind around playing with that impact all the time...
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
dao wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

Lol come on man that can't be the best reason you can come up with.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Larry was a beast in that fourth quarter. Dude gets after it like that and wrecks house for opponents. Flying around the court and imposing his will. Loved it. If he can wrap his mind around playing with that impact all the time...

I do love seeing him in the passing lanes and playing ball denial.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject:

Nance the last 7 games of the season with more minutes (29)

10-10-2-1-2
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

Larry is a guy that would flourish on a good team. He's the perfect bench role player that does the little things and brings hustle/intensity when he's out there. Hopefully he can extend his range to the 3pt line and become a Robery Horry like player.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
Larry is a guy that would flourish on a good team. He's the perfect bench role player that does the little things and brings hustle/intensity when he's out there. Hopefully he can extend his range to the 3pt line and become a Robery Horry like player.

Why does everyone have Larry pegged as a bench guy? Is it because of his injury history or is it his lack of shooting? I mean, he plays good D, moves the ball on offense, has a great BBIQ. IMO I don't know why he could not be a starter. I think he might be a more effective starter than Randle because he plays both ends of the floor.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

Why does everyone have Larry pegged as a bench guy? Is it because of his injury history or is it his lack of shooting? I mean, he plays good D, moves the ball on offense, has a great BBIQ. IMO I don't know why he could not be a starter. I think he might be a more effective starter than Randle because he plays both ends of the floor.

pick 27 vs pick 7 maybe
also some say they don't think he can play a full season
also a lot say Randle will be way better in time

The last two arguments may be valid, time will tell.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
dao wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

Lol come on man that can't be the best reason you can come up with.

Lol, believe this or not it was an attempt to say something genuinely nice about him that I believe to be true, although now that I read it back it does sound a bit condescending.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

Part of the problem is our guards are near worthless at throwing lobs. It's the one offensive skill he has where he could really shine and get a lot of the playground adoration Randle receives for his ballhandling, but it's not possible without someone willing or able to set him up.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

Part of the problem is our guards are near worthless at throwing lobs. It's the one offensive skill he has where he could really shine and get a lot of the playground adoration Randle receives for his ballhandling, but it's not possible without someone willing or able to set him up.

cough cough DLO
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

cough cough DLO

and JC (Lou too). He really didn't play with Russell much.
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject:

He's more athletic than Rambis or AC Green, but his role as a starting player would be similar to them (in a non-small-ball setting.) He does the dirty work and will develop the outside shot to become a dagger. His dunks and leaping ability invigorate both the team and fans. Valuable, just not consistent.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

Because he is a bench player
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
tox wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

cough cough DLO

Huertas was great at finding Nance, sometimes to a fault. But when it was on, it was spectacular.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

Nance is the #23 PF in the league in Real Plus Minus. Randle is #67. Nance has BPM of +2.0 ... Randle is 0.0. The cumulative advanced stats prefer Nance by a very wide margin.

Nance is a far better defensive player. Nance sets better screens. Nance has better hands and finishes above the rim.

Nance is a better shooter. Neither of them are legit three point shooters yet, though Nance's numbers are slightly better in that regard. But mid range is where Nance sets himself apart from Randle. Nance is often criticized for not taking the open mid range jumpers, and rightly so. But Nance has taken more mid range jumpers than Randle this season, despite playing in 11 fewer games and playing 6 fewer minutes per game. Since the All Star break, Randle has attempted only 21 mid Range jumpers, and he has only made three of them (a pathetic 14%). Nance has attempted 43 mid range jumpers in the same span, and made 40% of them. As for three point shooting, both Randle and Nance starting shooting threes 18 games ago, when Luke gave them the Green Light. Small sample size, But Randle has shot 31.4% from three in that time, compared to 36.4% from Nance. I'm no shot expert, but Nance appears to have much better form on his jumper as well.

Nance is easily the better player imo. Better cumulative advanced stats, far better defense, more promising jumper, and of course, most importantly, a much higher basketball IQ. Luke started Randle this year, but don't be surprised to see Luke make the switch next year. Nance was inserted into the starting lineup, and his play actually improved. All along YOU were saying that he can play well against backups but would struggle against starters. You have been proven FALSE.

Last edited by dao on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

pick 27 vs pick 7 maybe
also some say they don't think he can play a full season
also a lot say Randle will be way better in time

The last two arguments may be valid, time will tell.

I'll also add aggression level. He doesn't make himself a threat on the offensive end enough. Defenders can just leave him. I see the Horry comparison, but the thing with Horry was that he was never afraid to take an open shot. He had enough gravity to get guys running at him when he was open. This can be fixed with coaching.

I agree with the people at the top of the page who said Randle is best suited as a 6th man. I've been saying that for a while now. Larry is my favorite player on the team but he isn't a long term starter. He's also best suited as a backup 4.

That's why I think Magic/Pelinka need to trade Randle this summer before we have to pay him $20+ mil per year when we already have a championship caliber backup 4 in Nance. Paying Randle that kind of money would be a mistake. He may improve, but I just don't see his ceiling as high as some people here see it. Need to sell high while teams still think there is a lot of room to grow.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject:

dao wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

Why does everyone have Larry pegged as a bench guy? Is it because of his injury history or is it his lack of shooting? I mean, he plays good D, moves the ball on offense, has a great BBIQ. IMO I don't know why he counuld not be a starter. I think he might be a more effective starter than Randle because he plays both ends of the floor.

Nance is the #23 PF in the league in Real Plus Minus. Randle is #67. Nance has BPM of +2.0 ... Randle is 0.0. The cumulative advanced stats prefer Nance by a very wide margin.

Nance is a far better defensive player. Nance sets better screens. Nance has better hands and finishes above the rim.

Nance is a better shooter. Neither of them are legit three point shooters yet, though Nance's numbers are slightly better in that regard. But mid range is where Nance sets himself apart from Randle. Nance is often criticized for not taking the open mid range jumpers, and rightly so. But Nance has taken more mid range jumpers than Randle this season, despite playing in 11 fewer games and playing 6 fewer minutes per game. Since the All Star break, Randle has attempted only 21 mid Range jumpers, and he has only made three of them (a pathetic 14%). Nance has attempted 43 mid range jumpers in the same span, and made 40% of them. As for three point shooting, both Randle and Nance starting shooting threes 18 games ago, when Luke gave them the Green Light. Small sample size, But Randle has shot 31.4% from three in that time, compared to 36.4% from Nance. I'm no shot expert, but Nance appears to have much better form on his jumper as well.

Nance is easily the better player imo. Better cumulative advanced stats, far better defense, more promising jumper, and of course, most importantly, a much higher basketball IQ. Luke started Randle this year, but don't be surprised to see Luke make the switch next year. Nance was inserted into the starting lineup, and his play actually improved. All along YOU were saying that he can play well against starters but would struggle against starters. You have been proven FALSE.

And Randle is the starter with Nance off the bench
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject:

dao wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

Nance is easily the better player imo. Better cumulative advanced stats, far better defense, more promising jumper, and of course, most importantly, a much higher basketball IQ. Luke started Randle this year, but don't be surprised to see Luke make the switch next year. Nance was inserted into the starting lineup, and his play actually improved. All along YOU were saying that he can play well against backups but would struggle against starters. You have been proven FALSE.

LG overall has a greater respect for draft position than for actual production, period.

I can buy someone telling we are giving Julius minutes because there is a chance he is going to be the best player in the future, but Nance has better advanced stats and he makes everyone around him better, including Julius. Nance has a clear role, he is the ultimate role player. Julius is not good enough to be a starting PF in a winning program, is not willing to do the little things to be a role player and is way too good to be a 3rd stringer.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
dao wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

Why does everyone have Larry pegged as a bench guy? Is it because of his injury history or is it his lack of shooting? I mean, he plays good D, moves the ball on offense, has a great BBIQ. IMO I don't know why he counuld not be a starter. I think he might be a more effective starter than Randle because he plays both ends of the floor.

Nance is easily the better player imo. Better cumulative advanced stats, far better defense, more promising jumper, and of course, most importantly, a much higher basketball IQ. Luke started Randle this year, but don't be surprised to see Luke make the switch next year. Nance was inserted into the starting lineup, and his play actually improved. All along YOU were saying that he can play well against starters but would struggle against starters. You have been proven FALSE.

And Randle is the starter with Nance off the bench
and he's the 67th best PF in the NBA while Nance is the 23rd best.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
tox wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

cough cough DLO

Yeah, our guards really need to practice their lobs and watch Shaq era Lakers. Nance would really benefit.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 173, 174, 175 ... 219, 220, 221  Next
Page 174 of 221
Jump to: