OFFICIAL GARY LANCE JR THREAD - traded :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 219, 220, 221  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject:

I was personally WOW by his defense, penetration after a close out, passing ability and athleticism. I'm afraid his defense will put him in front of randle in the starting line up.

Draymmond Green clone but longer
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject:

I truly think Nance Jr. is going to surprise some people... His dad was a beast in the league and he speaks highly of his "Motor" which lets me know he's coming to go to work and that's exactly what this team needs. Someone who's willing to put their hard hat on and get to work!

He should excel at the three spot, but the Lakers will have the flexibility to play small with him on the roster, possibly a 4/5 who's able to close out, defend and contest some shots against bigger players.

This season will be very interesting...
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
I truly think Nance Jr. is going to surprise some people... His dad was a beast in the league and he speaks highly of his "Motor" which lets me know he's coming to go to work and that's exactly what this team needs. Someone who's willing to put their hard hat on and get to work!

He should excel at the three spot, but the Lakers will have the flexibility to play small with him on the roster, possibly a 4/5 who's able to close out, defend and contest some shots against bigger players.

This season will be very interesting...

Agree with everything. i watched Larry's kid. I remember his father very, very, well. The main trait of his I like besides those you've already noted, is his grit. He came off as real nice at the presser, but this kid's got's some toughness and tenacity that's going to be contagious.

Also, he does have a jumper, a bit different form than many, but very effective.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Larry Nance seem like a nice kid with good basketball sense. However he will be a decent bench player at best. Brings energy, plays some defense and give someone else a rest.

Lol. No one knows whether that is the case. The draft is a crapshoot.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject:

OracionSix wrote:
When I saw nance, I thought he's definitely a 3. Similar to corey brewer who will defend/run the floor but can't shoot

Are you saying that Nance can't shoot? And, if so, are you sure?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject:

Well he does have ugly form on his shot
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Well he does have ugly form on his shot

I can't say I've seen much of him but he has some good peripherals. Over 50% shooting in college and just a tad under 80% from the FT line.

Good indicators of a capable shooter but it all comes down to what's between the ears.
matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject:

Good point made on Max and Marcellus about Nance's reaction to the tweet. Basically, now that he's been drafted by the Lakers all of a sudden he's super apologetic and does a complete 180. Also how he's going over the top trying to praise Kobe and win back favor with the fans. How sincere does that look? It's not like people just suddenly change feelings unless there's reason to. He should be able to explain his thought process behind the tweet and what motivated him to say it. Otherwise, how can we fully trust him to represent the team going forward?

"I GOT WHEATIES!"
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject:

matrixskillz wrote:
Good point made on Max and Marcellus about Nance's reaction to the tweet. Basically, now that he's been drafted by the Lakers all of a sudden he's super apologetic and does a complete 180. Also how he's going over the top trying to praise Kobe and win back favor with the fans. How sincere does that look? It's not like people just suddenly change feelings unless there's reason to. He should be able to explain his thought process behind the tweet and what motivated him to say it. Otherwise, how can we fully trust him to represent the team going forward?

You've been a member here since 2008. Do you remember any specific posts you made in 2012? He threw it out there into the interwebz and forgot about it. Someone was going to dig up that tweet no matter what team drafted him, and he'd come out and apologize. Maybe not as fervently as he is now, but he'd still apologize nonetheless. I just don't think he even knew that tweet existed.
matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:

You've been a member here since 2008. Do you remember any specific posts you made in 2012? He threw it out there into the interwebz and forgot about it. Someone was going to dig up that tweet no matter what team drafted him, and he'd come out and apologize. Maybe not as fervently as he is now, but he'd still apologize nonetheless. I just don't think he even knew that tweet existed.

Never a personal attack like that. It's one thing to call Kobe a loser, arrogant or even stupid. But it takes a certain kind of person to use the word he did. No wonder he's backtracking so much.

"I GOT WHEATIES!"
Tonicgoofy
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject:

matrixskillz wrote:

Never a personal attack like that. It's one thing to call Kobe a loser, arrogant or even stupid. But it takes a certain kind of person to use the word he did. No wonder he's backtracking so much.

There is nothing wrong with what he said. a LOT of people said it and keep on saying it. Kobe created the situation in which people would call him that. How many times have you cursed at a celebrity because of something stupid?

That doesn't make you necessarily hate that person. People will be human and make mistake, deal with it.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
It's one thing to call Kobe a loser, arrogant or even stupid.

Call Kobe a loser and I don't know what he'll do to you.

Grudges are for the immature. Let it go.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject:

matrixskillz wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:

Who cares, it doesn't matter anymore. "Can this kid play?" is all I care about. Not some tweet from freaking three years ago.

!...
SmokeAndAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject:

Tonicgoofy wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:

There is nothing wrong with what he said. a LOT of people said it and keep on saying it. Kobe created the situation in which people would call him that. How many times have you cursed at a celebrity because of something stupid?

That doesn't make you necessarily hate that person. People will be human and make mistake, deal with it.

No, there's a LOT wrong with what he said!!! And not because it was directed at Kobe; the tweet was just stupid and inappropriate, and while I doubt he was being serious, it's still NOT a topic you joke about. That's just tasteless and wrong.

BUT I do think Nance is sincere in his apology, and not just because he's a Laker now, more because he seems like a good kid who did a dumb thing and is now owning up and apologizing.

Kobe said it best " we've all done things we regret": Kobe did, people need to let it go!!!, now Nance did it with the tweet, people also need to let it go!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject:

Larry Nance Jr. improved each year at Wyoming. He was considered a “late bloomer.” But our FO obviously saw something (2 workouts plus the NBA combine) in this kid that others may have overlooked.

Even though he had a great senior season I don't think he had fully recovered from his injury. His athleticism has seemed to have improved and he's going to get better.

If he develops like the FO expects him to he could be a nice player for us for years to come.
mykeinla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject:

I think it's hilarious the assumptions being made about this guy. Unless you've watched every single Wyoming game this past year (which I doubt many of you have), then you really don't know how he's going to turn out. A highlight film on youtube isn't going to do any good.

I will suspend judgment on a guy who hasn't played a second in the NBA (and even him making the team as a bench player has yet to be determined).
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject:

mykeinla wrote:
I think it's hilarious the assumptions being made about this guy. Unless you've watched every single Wyoming game this past year (which I doubt many of you have), then you really don't know how he's going to turn out. A highlight film on youtube isn't going to do any good.

I will suspend judgment on a guy who hasn't played a second in the NBA (and even him making the team as a bench player has yet to be determined).

I don't think a guy has to watch every single Wyoming game to get a feel for what he can do next level.

Just like, I don't think one or two highlight videos gave a real impression of how his game translates either. That'll just give a few details, but that's it.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
mykeinla wrote:

I don't think a guy has to watch every single Wyoming game to get a feel for what he can do next level.

Just like, I don't think one or two highlight videos gave a real impression of how his game translates either. That'll just give a few details, but that's it.

I would have gone for homeboy regardless of hip. Nance does defend though. Oh...keep an eye on Brown.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject:

mykeinla wrote:

Do you enjoy telling five year old children that there is no Santa Claus?

--Anonymous
SaintsLFC13
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject:

SmokeAndAshes wrote:
Tonicgoofy wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:

No, there's a LOT wrong with what he said!!! And not because it was directed at Kobe; the tweet was just stupid and inappropriate, and while I doubt he was being serious, it's still NOT a topic you joke about. That's just tasteless and wrong.

BUT I do think Nance is sincere in his apology, and not just because he's a Laker now, more because he seems like a good kid who did a dumb thing and is now owning up and apologizing.

Kobe said it best " we've all done things we regret": Kobe did, people need to let it go!!!, now Nance did it with the tweet, people also need to let it go!

Eh, I think at worst it was a joke that only got brought up because he made the league, something that he might not even considered an actual possibility when he posted it. The chances of being drafted into the NBA are slim, the chances that he would be playing with Kobe Bryant in a few years even slimmer, probably just an off hand comment. Yea it's some messed up **** to say for sure but people say messed up things all the time, not to mention make jokes than many but their inner circle would consider in poor taste, the main difference being not everyone broadcasts those things under their real name on twitter. Hell some people even make a living off of it, see most stand up comedians.

I agree people need to let it go, and I'm glad you're taking that approach as well but there's really not that much wrong with what he said nor do you know how much he even really meant it. For me his main mistake was not having the presence of mind to think before about posting it on twitter but as I said, if he never made the league no one would've given a flying.
NastyNas_87
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject:

matrixskillz wrote:

he's a kid. get over it.
NastyNas_87
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject:

just saw his TWC interview. I must say I'm super impressed with him. he compared himself to Taj Gibson and said thats the type of player he wants to model his game after. Gibson was drafted 26th in 2009 and has almost the same measureables.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Taj-Gibson-1164/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Larry-Nance-42170/

Gibson's an inch taller and has an inch longer standing reach. Nance has the higher vertical leap. all in all, not a bad comparison. if Nance can be the type of player Gibson developed into, I think we have a big time steal here.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject:

If Nancy can ball its all good. If he can't ball, I would have hated him anyways.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject:

If you're not excited about all the alley-oops that nance and black are going to be throwing down off the bench idk what to tell you...btw they project to be pretty damn good together defensively also.
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject:

TWC Interview.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 219, 220, 221  Next
Page 31 of 221
Jump to: