OFFICIAL GARY LANCE JR THREAD - traded :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 219, 220, 221  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject:

This has probably already been posted but wow...at around the 2:40 mark nance was flat out impressive. He gets a block, steal, and a poster dunk in the same possession. I'm really excited about this kids potential. Hopefully he's in the weight room and shooting jumpers All summer so he can get Pt. I will def be watching him, upshaw, and the Browns in the Dleague this season
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject:

I want him to do well too...great leaper, appears to like to do the dirty work. If he can work on knocking down the 15-18 footer, we might have a real nice player on our hands.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Do you think we drafted him in potential yo be our SF of the future or just a backup to Ranle ?
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:
Do you think we drafted him in potential yo be our SF of the future or just a backup to Ranle ?

I really think that either Randle or nance are going to be playing sf in the future. Why draft pf's in the first round in back to back seasons? Especially since we already drafted kelly who projects as a solid backup.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
a2j1m wrote:

I really think that either Randle or nance are going to be playing sf in the future. Why draft pf's in the first round in back to back seasons? Especially since we already drafted kelly who projects as a solid backup.

That's what I was thinking... I think Nance and Brown were drafted in hope for a future SF
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject:

I haven't seen Nance make a single jumper in the SL, but if he can be like Joakim Noah or Ben Wallace on defense, I'll be happy.
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Montrez Harrell should have been the pick if Mitch wanted a 4. Mitch being cute with Nance pick
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject:

A lot of people are hard on the kid because they wanted someone like Harrell, Looney, or Hunter. Bottom line is that this dude is a high character guy with a high motor and the desire to get better. Players like Harrell and Hunter had off years/had their motors questioned, while Looney had red flags surrounding his health. The kid needs to be able to hit his mid range shots and be able to hit the wide open three point shot if necessary. He's aware of his weaknesses and he's continuing to work on it. He'll be fine.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Athletically, nance is basically a SF but his skillset is undeveloped. He can do a little bit of everything but he does nothing great. I think that if he can become a consistent shooter from 3 he will be a SF. He seems to be built more like a SF than a bigman.

It's possible that I'm reaching though because I really want him to be a SF because with his wingspan he could be an elite defender at that position.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Athletically, nance is basically a SF but his skillset is undeveloped. He can do a little bit of everything but he does nothing great. I think that if he can become a consistent shooter from 3 he will be a SF. He seems to be built more like a SF than a bigman.

It's possible that I'm reaching though because I really want him to be a SF because with his wingspan he could be an elite defender at that position.

He has all the tools and athleticism to be an elite defender if he focuses on it and puts in the work.

However as everyone has noted: he needs to develop a jump shot and become a threat from 3 pt. land if he wants to survive in the NBA as a SF or PF.

Further development with a few stints in the D-League will tell us a lot about his true potential.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
A lot of people are hard on the kid because they wanted someone like Harrell, Looney, or Hunter. Bottom line is that this dude is a high character guy with a high motor and the desire to get better. Players like Harrell and Hunter had off years/had their motors questioned, while Looney had red flags surrounding his health. The kid needs to be able to hit his mid range shots and be able to hit the wide open three point shot if necessary. He's aware of his weaknesses and he's continuing to work on it. He'll be fine.

I think a lot of people realize there were better prospects available at 27. Nance was a big time reach at 27. This time, I think the Lakers may have put too much stock in their workouts rather than putting more stock in actual games he's played in college. I really hope the guy proves me wrong, because we need the #27 pick to be an asset down the road. They traded for Lin knowing that they would get a player down the road in return for taking on Lin's salary. Basically it depends on who becomes the better player out of A.Brown and Hunter, because the Lakers could have easily selected RJ Hunter at 27 and probably still had Nance on the board at 34.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
The Logo wrote:

I think a lot of people realize there were better prospects available at 27. Nance was a big time reach at 27. This time, I think the Lakers may have put too much stock in their workouts rather than putting more stock in actual games he's played in college. I really hope the guy proves me wrong, because we need the #27 pick to be an asset down the road. They traded for Lin knowing that they would get a player down the road in return for taking on Lin's salary. Basically it depends on who becomes the better player out of A.Brown and Hunter, because the Lakers could have easily selected RJ Hunter at 27 and probably still had Nance on the board at 34.

There were rumors that the Spurs and Raptors were looking at him with their first round picks. I know they picked before us, but it's possible another team would've taken a gander at him. Also I thought that Hunter wasn't playing that well in the summer league. From what I heard he struggled at least in the first couple of games.
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
The Logo wrote:

There were rumors that the Spurs and Raptors were looking at him with their first round picks. I know they picked before us, but it's possible another team would've taken a gander at him. Also I thought that Hunter wasn't playing that well in the summer league. From what I heard he struggled at least in the first couple of games.
pick should have been Harrel at 27 and Normal Powell at 34. Kid played in our back yard. Can't believe he was overlooked
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject:

I think Nance will play better off of more established guys, and a more structured system. He's always around the ball and that's a good thing.
SaintStephen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Any rumor including the Spurs is an obvious lie, probably put out by an agent. They were never drafting an American player in the first round this year, they needed the cap space to sign Aldridge/re-up a lot of their guys.

Nance may or may not pan out. To be honest there are not usually any great prospects available at that spot so I don't mind taking a flier on a guy who maybe showed some stuff up close that you didn't see on film. But it was definitely a reach in my eyes.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:

He is the perfect forward next to Randle. Able to take the quicker sf on defense, but boards and swats like a pf He needs to work on his jumper, but that should come around.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject:

I thought this was pretty interesting since Larry nance also has a 12'5 Mac vert. This kind of puts nances athleticism into perspective and shows what the lakers were thinking when they picked him. He has a defensive mentality and he could end up being special on that end of the floor. I think he's going to surprise some people this season.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject:

To shed even more light on how crazy that max vert is the number 1 pick Karl towns is 12'1. This video shows how large of an area he can cover with that type of max vert.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject:

I like this vid
Prophet8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
http://youtu.be/J0NXwO9rU-Q

I like this vid

Ill second that
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Did Nance change his shooting mechanics before summer league or something? His shot looked so much better in his college highlights, but now his left hand is all over the place and it looks janky.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
http://youtu.be/J0NXwO9rU-Q

I like this vid

awesome!
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject:

I'm wondering how Nance and Kelly would do alongside one another as their respective skill-sets would complement well.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject:

He's playing with the added burden of an autoimmune disease which is chronic and lifelong according to doctors, so it makes me root for him even more.

I see him giving us a solid 15-20 minutes off the bench next season and hustling his ass off for rebounds and dunks.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject:

I found a few full games of nance jr on YouTube and I am really impressed with his defense in the paint. He's always in the right position and he's a damn good shot blocker. I'm not sure if Scott will use him as a SF but I'm pretty confident he will play some small ball center.

In that tourney game he was damn impressive and took over at the beggining of the first half. I can def see why the front office picked him in the first round...he has the potential to be pretty damn good.

Upshaw
Nance jr
Randle
Russell
Clarkson

this is starting to look like our future starting 5 guys and I gotta say that I would be very happy!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 219, 220, 221  Next
Page 40 of 221
Jump to: