OFFICIAL ANTHONY BROWN THREAD - (WAIVED - p49; WAIVED AGAIN - p65)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
I hate Bruce Bowen. I have no respect for guys that walk under someone taking a jump shot. That punk took the term "breaking ankles" too literal.

He also apparently learned how to play defense from Bruce Lee

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1024923/bruce_bowen_kicks_wally_szczerbiak_in_the_face-584-1.gif

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/lebronze23/bowen_kick.jpg

http://thestartingfive.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/bruce-bowen-up-to-his-old-tricks.jpg
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Three-and-D Wings are among the scarcest commodities in the league while also being among the most important in implementing effective 'positionless' offensive and defensive strategies.

Brown has been a disappointment and might not amount to anything. But LA will continue to develop him.

You make a good point. Even if he looks bad now the scarcity of players who can do those two things at a high level is so great that you can't outright dismiss him. I think he needs to show some minimal improvement however to continue to justify the investment.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
epak wrote:
I hate Bruce Bowen. I have no respect for guys that walk under someone taking a jump shot. That punk took the term "breaking ankles" too literal.

Lol I like anyone who makes a name for themselves in the NBA without having to put up 20 shots a game. Idk why but it always impresses me to see a guy like Bowen, Rodman, and more recently Larry nance. Even if he didn't take 1 shot in a game you would know he's on the court and his impact would be felt.
Those are winners. Championship pieces.

I love hard working role players.
But Bowen is a hard working role player who doesn't mind injuring people. That's the part I don't like.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
epak wrote:

He also apparently learned how to play defense from Bruce Lee

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1024923/bruce_bowen_kicks_wally_szczerbiak_in_the_face-584-1.gif

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/lebronze23/bowen_kick.jpg

http://thestartingfive.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/bruce-bowen-up-to-his-old-tricks.jpg

I've seen the Wally one. But that Sonics one has to be photo shopped no? haha. What in the world?
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Having a good defender at the 2/3 for this team is really useful, but outside of defense Anthony looked like a hot mess during his second summer league after being a senior in college. Why did this guy's shooting fall off a cliff?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Having a good defender at the 2/3 for this team is really useful, but outside of defense Anthony looked like a hot mess during his second summer league after being a senior in college. Why did this guy's shooting fall off a cliff?

Maybe the ~2 ft difference is affecting him
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
epak wrote:

Lol I like anyone who makes a name for themselves in the NBA without having to put up 20 shots a game. Idk why but it always impresses me to see a guy like Bowen, Rodman, and more recently Larry nance. Even if he didn't take 1 shot in a game you would know he's on the court and his impact would be felt.
Those are winners. Championship pieces.

I love hard working role players.
But Bowen is a hard working role player who doesn't mind injuring people. That's the part I don't like.

Can't argue with that. However I see a pattern with those types. The draymon greens, Dennis rodmans, Ron artest, matt Barnes all seem to play with that passion that leads to some very rough play. I don't think it's intentional though, I think it just comes with the desire to shut their man down.
Gomur
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Too early to know AB's upside, but maybe Trevor Ariza is his max potential? Trevor always had a defensive nose (unless I'm mistaken), but I don't recall if he had that 3 point shot or developed it?

Trevor definitely had more natural athleticism tho.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Gomur wrote:
Too early to know AB's upside, but maybe Trevor Ariza is his max potential? Trevor always had a defensive nose (unless I'm mistaken), but I don't recall if he had that 3 point shot or developed it?

He developed it. He came in mostly athletic clay and phildeveloped him into a 3&D guy in Los Angeles. He really busted out that 3 ball in the playoffs for us when we won it all. He was a big part.

If I remember correctly, Luke was our starting SF that season and gave up his starting spot to ariza for the benefit of the team. Love Luke.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Gomur wrote:

Trevor definitely had more natural athleticism tho.

Ariza was athletic though. Before the Lakers he had some nice dunks.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject:

Lakers Need Anthony Brown to Perform This Season ..... (duh)

Quote:
Anthony Brown, Los Angeles’ second round pick in 2015, has proven to be a very effective perimeter defender, with the potential to become elite on that end of the floor. The flip side of this story is, of course, that Brown has not shown much on the offensive end, where he has struggled to knock down jumpers.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2016/08/18/lakers-will-need-anthony-brown-to-play-a-role-this-season/
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:49 am    Post subject:

Right now, based on what we saw last year Huerta is >>>>Brown

Get it together or get ready to play overseas. You better bring 35% 3 point shooting, 45% from the field and 80% from the free throw line, no excuses. Play hard or go home.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
Right now, based on what we saw last year Huerta is >>>>Brown

Get it together or get ready to play overseas. You better bring 35% 3 point shooting, 45% from the field and 80% from the free throw line, no excuses. Play hard or go home.

Lofty goals considering our other "star guards" can barely get those numbers so far. I think if he provides value defensively all he has to do is not be a complete liability on offense and he will be an asset.

Russell 41 and 35
Clarkson 43 and 34
Lou 40 and 34
Huertas 42 and 26

He deserves a fair shot like everyone else. Patience my friend.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject:

I really hope he doesn't turn into a Ryan Kelly who was known for his 3pt shot in college and then it completely vanishes in the NBA.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
I really hope he doesn't turn into a Ryan Kelly who was known for his 3pt shot in college and then it completely vanishes in the NBA.

I don't think he will end up like Ryan Kelly. Kelly actually got worse each season. Again when defense is factored in Brown already has more value than Kelly. If he doesn't improve this year then maybe the claims that he is a bum can begin but it's way premature right now.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject:

We are in desperate need of perimeter defense.
If AB3 can prove that he can guard multiple wing positions with a high degree of effectiveness then he may be able to find his niche on this team.
I certainly hope so and I'm also hoping that he can rediscover the 3 point stroke that he displayed in college.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Walton also praised ongoing efforts from Randle and Larry Nance Jr. in developing their jump shots. Walton expressed optimism for Jordan Clarkson to become an elite defender. And Walton reported other positive developments: second-year forward Anthony Brown has often won 3-point shooting contests in practice; rookie center Ivica Zubac has developed a skyhook; veteran forward Nick Young has lost about 20 pounds; veteran guard Lou Williams has demonstrated a playmaking presence.

Pleaseeee let this translate over, lol.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

I don't think he will end up like Ryan Kelly. Kelly actually got worse each season. Again when defense is factored in Brown already has more value than Kelly. If he doesn't improve this year then maybe the claims that he is a bum can begin but it's way premature right now.

Brown was legitimately one of the better 3pt shooters for his last two seasons in college playing in a competitive conference with lots of NBA talent. Kelley was a big who could shoot some and had a few games where he got hot. Totally different pretext.

With Brown, I think what GT said makes the most sense. Brown has a slow release and there is less time to get your shot off in the pros, especially when playing in an offense that doesn't help get more space as was the case last year. Hopefully with a year of adjusting to NBA speed and athleticism, some good coaching and more space in Luke's offense Brown will revert to a higher percentage.

Note that winning a 3pt contest in practice doesn't require adjusting to any of those issues.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
defense wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Brown was legitimately one of the better 3pt shooters for his last two seasons in college playing in a competitive conference with lots of NBA talent. Kelley was a big who could shoot some and had a few games where he got hot. Totally different pretext.

With Brown, I think what GT said makes the most sense. Brown has a slow release and there is less time to get your shot off in the pros, especially when playing in an offense that doesn't help get more space as was the case last year. Hopefully with a year of adjusting to NBA speed and athleticism, some good coaching and more space in Luke's offense Brown will revert to a higher percentage.

Note that winning a 3pt contest in practice doesn't require adjusting to any of those issues.

Depends, if it's in the style of the NBA shootout where there's a strict time limit, then it does. Just because it's hard to throw up 25 3s in a minute with a slow release.

But yeah, in a casual contest, I agree.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject:

I don't view this as a slow release, looks very normal. (with a dip)
I think he simply, for one reason or another, can't adjust his stroke to the NBA line,has no range past the college line
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK-plBRm1OE I don't view this as a slow release, looks very normal. (with a dip)
I think he simply, for one reason or another, can't adjust his stroke to the NBA line,has no range past the college line

Yeah, it doesn't seem like there's much wrong, mechanically, with his shooting form.

Like you pointed out, maybe a bit of a dip, but other than that, it's a nice, smooth transition from the shooting pocket going up into the shot. Shoulders are balanced. There's no extra motion/twisting going on. Nice high release point and he holds his follow-through. I didn't see any hitches. I don't see any weird wrist action. It's not lightning-quick, but it's not like it's slow. Guide-hand doesn't look like it's adding anything unnecessary.

It's gotta be mostly a mental thing??
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK-plBRm1OE I don't view this as a slow release, looks very normal. (with a dip)

Really? His entire jump shot just looks lethargic to me. Not sure how to describe it, but it's not crisp at all. From the catch to the dip to the release... the entire process just looks like it's in 0.9x speed instead 1.0x
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Really? His entire jump shot just looks lethargic to me. Not sure how to describe it, but it's not crisp at all. From the catch to the dip to the release... the entire process just looks like it's in 0.9x speed instead 1.0x

He shot 29% on "open" 3s (nobody within 4-6 feet), and only 33% on wide open 3s (6+ feet). via NBA.com
It is a bit lethargic, good way to put it ; but he's bricking open 3s, man.

@b_p when it's unexplainable, I point to this theory

he's shooting "outward", trajectory is incompetently low - not adjusted to the longer NBA line
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
tox wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

He shot 29% on "open" 3s (nobody within 4-6 feet), and only 33% on wide open 3s (6+ feet). via NBA.com

he's shooting "outward", trajectory is incompetently low - not adjusted to the longer NBA line

Thanks for the stats! Yup, it can't just be the slowness of the shot or those numbers would look better. In that case, that report about AB winning 3 point contests has to make you feel a bit more optimistic on his open and wide open looks.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
tox wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Thanks for the stats! Yup, it can't just be the slowness of the shot or those numbers would look better. In that case, that report about AB winning 3 point contests has to make you feel a bit more optimistic on his open and wide open looks.

Weeelll, I think there's often a big difference between practice shots and game shots. And I see a lot of players make practice shots with minimal margin for error - due to the low trajectory. So he's still gotta prove it in a game..
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 44 of 67
Jump to: