OFFICIAL ANTHONY BROWN THREAD - (WAIVED - p49; WAIVED AGAIN - p65)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
15 wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
It would be stupid to give up on him after one season. He's a solid three point shot away from having a long career in this league. And seeing how great he was in college at shooting, it's not ridiculous to expect him to translate his shooting stroke over.

3-D wings are a hot commodity in this league and I'm sure Brown knows that. He just needs to gain confidence in his shot.

AB is the next Xavier Henry/Devin Ebanks/Earl Clark.

You could add Derrick Caracter and Von Wafer to that list as well.

Sadly, that is where he is headed if he can't start hitting shots. His D looks near elite at times, he's got a good feel for he game and can get to the spots he needs to, he's got great chemistry with the other young guys, etc. but at some point he's got hit shots. If he doesn't, he rides the bench for 2-3 more years (after some bouncing around). But if he does become a good to great shooter, he could have 10 year career as a decent yet coveted bench 3&D

Not fair comparing XHenry with those guys. I would love to have him on our roster without the injuries. He was a really good player before his achilles busted.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject:

^^^ A couple of those guys could post stats, I doubt Brown could post a positive stat line playing 30 minutes a night. For reals, he needs to be in D league playing major minutes trying to find a game. Other than missed shots, there is no" there", there.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject:

Ugh.....

Brown isn't in any danger of not making the roster. Well, as long as some kind of highly unusual circumstance doesn't come along, that is. Like a really enticing trade that would be a home run or something.

Good coaching staffs and front offices don't make knee-jerk assessments like fans do, which is a beautiful thing. It's ironic that we all know how much the team needs outside shooting and perimeter defense, and we actually have a young player with very good potential to provide both, yet so many are willing to dump him after one year where he barely even played? lol. The indication is that Luke's assembled a very solid player development staff, so why not see what they can do with Brown instead of being in such a hurry to push him off the cliff? Good grief, Charlie Brown.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject:

The potential to provide defense I'd agree with, Brown has not shown ANY potential to provide outside shooting at the SF or SG position. Makes you pine for the good old days when we had a Matt Barnes or Wes Johnson. There is no "3" in his "3 and D" game.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
The potential to provide defense I'd agree with, Brown has not shown ANY potential to provide outside shooting at the SF or SG position. Makes you pine for the good old days when we had a Matt Barnes or Wes Johnson. There is no "3" in his "3 and D" game.

There's a difference between his potential as a shooter and him struggling last season to hit his shots. His 3 and D label wasn't pulled out of some magician hat. He was a 3 and D player in college.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

There's a difference between his potential as a shooter and him struggling last season to hit his shots. His 3 and D label wasn't pulled out of some magician hat. He was a 3 and D player in college.

Thank you for that. He hasn't shown ANY potential to shoot? That's crazy. Calm down with the hyperbole; his jump shot isn't looking like MKG's or anything.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Hey, if he starts playing good and earning his time, I will support him. I just feel that in a rebuilding mode, he has little to offer, especially at a position where offensive skill is a premium.

Assuming he is some kind of a "late-bloomer" that might take 4-5 years in the league to develop a limited offensive game and get 10 points from time to time, sort of like a Bruce Bowen. Brown's value would seem to be in those short, defensive possession sets, where we would use him to defend a shooter, like say he is brought in to guard Klay Thompson, and there is 10 seconds left in the half or on the shot clock.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Judah wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Thank you for that. He hasn't shown ANY potential to shoot? That's crazy. Calm down with the hyperbole; his jump shot isn't looking like MKG's or anything.

I noticed last season that he has a tendency to lean backwards on his jumper. Idk if it's his way of subconsciously adapting to the NBA game and the speed and length that comes with it. But I'm pretty sure if someone points it out his % would benifit. Another thing I've noticed is that he's been really working on his ballhandling....he needs to stop that and be relegated to catch and shoot opportunities only. I understand the franchise not wanting to limit their players potential, but sometimes it's better to just allow someone to stick to their strengths and build on them. Especially with 2nd round players like Anthony brown or Tariq black.

Anthony brown is a keeper. It's pretty obvious to me and I think it's also obvious that whoever was responsible for developing him last season pointed him in the wrong direction. All that dribbling he displayed in summer league didn't increase his value as a player at all. He would have been better served knocking down spot up jumpers and playing lockdown D. Get in the weight room, talk to a shooting coach to fix those mechanics and he's golden. Imo
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
tox wrote:
Judah wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

I noticed last season that he has a tendency to lean backwards on his jumper. Idk if it's his way of subconsciously adapting to the NBA game and the speed and length that comes with it. But I'm pretty sure if someone points it out his % would benifit. Another thing I've noticed is that he's been really working on his ballhandling....he needs to stop that and be relegated to catch and shoot opportunities only. I understand the franchise not wanting to limit their players potential, but sometimes it's better to just allow someone to stick to their strengths and build on them. Especially with 2nd round players like Anthony brown or Tariq black.

Anthony brown is a keeper. It's pretty obvious to me and I think it's also obvious that whoever was responsible for developing him last season pointed him in the wrong direction. All that dribbling he displayed in summer league didn't increase his value as a player at all. He would have been better served knocking down spot up jumpers and playing lockdown D. Get in the weight room, talk to a shooting coach to fix those mechanics and he's golden. Imo

Are you avoiding using his name to prevent PTSD? If so, I don't blame you lol.
jorkerjork
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject:

There are a lot of wanna-be 3+D guys who haven't panned out in the league. From day one, my biggest problem with Brown is that he just doesn't have any athleticism to do more on offense or defense. The 3+D guys who succeed in the league have some shake in their game--Brown's 2-point percentages and steals were routinely abysmal in Stanford. Since athleticism doesn't really improve in the league, especially with Brown's advanced age when he entered the league, he's just not that interesting. His abysmal rookie season all but confirmed it.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject:

I'm very low on A. Brown. Just didn't see flashes of potential last year outside of his FT% and positional defense.
In about 5-10 other different categories I saw little/no potential for the future. He looked like wallpaper out there. You can easily forget he's playing when he's out there.
Maybe that's all because of the antichrist Byron Scott. But I've seen crappy players (by NBA standards) come and go in the League for decades. And he fits the bill pretty well. At age 24, I hope he finds ways to affect basketball games (if he gets any playing time) this season.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject:

jorkerjork wrote:
There are a lot of wanna-be 3+D guys who haven't panned out in the league. From day one, my biggest problem with Brown is that he just doesn't have any athleticism to do more on offense or defense. The 3+D guys who succeed in the league have some shake in their game--Brown's 2-point percentages and steals were routinely abysmal in Stanford. Since athleticism doesn't really improve in the league, especially with Brown's advanced age when he entered the league, he's just not that interesting. His abysmal rookie season all but confirmed it.

This is some good perspective on Anthony's game. To my untrained eyes, generally speaking he just looked nervous out there.
Jenn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject:

The kid found himself in a terrible situation last season IRT showing his value. It was sit for many games in a stretch, or start for Kobe. Not a good way for a rookie to develop some rhythm.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject:

You can't write him off after one season with a historically bad coach.

AB3 is our best wing defender at this time. Deng is also a great wing defender but I think that age has crept up on him. The kid is long and he has great lateral quickness.

He averaged over 40% from 3 in college, so clearly he can shoot. I can't imagine his shot not starting to fall this year in the Luke system.

If doesn't, then it doesn't and he will be gone next season, but there is no way that you can look at one season where he only got erratic playing time under the worst coach in NBA history and declare that he is a bust and will never be a contributing player.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Everyone who said this guy should have been cut and deserved no chances should eat some freaking crow.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject:

He was Impressive and his D was good 2.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Luke will Danny Green him.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
He was Impressive and his D was good 2.
His D has always been decent, he just need to knock down those spot up jumpers at a respectable clip.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject:

good showing tonight, was not expecting anything from him tbh, good surprise, made every shot
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Nice start AB!
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers ‏@Lakers 49s50 seconds ago
Luke Walton: "Anthony Brown's been great in camp. He's been one of the more consistent shooters."

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Nice start AB!

I lived for a long time in his hometown so I'm pulling for him!
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
good showing tonight, was not expecting anything from him tbh, good surprise, made every shot

+1

we need a player like him if he can make his shots at a decent clip
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Its just one game and everything, but he looked good. Most importantly, imo, is that he was confident out there.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Way to prove the haters wrong (so far) AB. He looked very confident tonight
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 46 of 67
Jump to: